Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 99
April 19th, 2017 at 10:04:54 PM permalink
Quote: VladAlex1

What do you think?

Make it a must-hit with an extremely fast Major meter and I love it.

But, seriously...

1.) Visual Tracking

-This game is tough to visually track as opposed to other slots which are easy and natural to visually track. People read from left to right, most slot machines reveal their results from left to right, so we're basically already visually trained to be able to quickly decipher the results of a slot machine.

-The game would be easier to visually track were there some differentiation in background between the vertical moving symbols as opposed to the horizontal ones, and I see that has already been mentioned.

-In addition to that being the way we read, slots are also designed that way to build anticipation. It's pretty evident on a, 'Standard,' slot machine (even though it spins faster than your game) that things are going well because you have the best symbol on a line on three...oh, oh...now four reels...can I hit the fifth? Even a spin that will not result in a winning line still has a chance on some games because of Scatter pays and Free Games that are not specific reel (or first reel starting) dependent.***

***The one thing your game has going for it is that your horizontal spin can look like garbage and you could still get saved by a good vertical, the problem is that you don't really have the time to process all of the possibilities before the result has already happened because of the unusual spin design. Occasionally, the horizontal spin will come in so well that you know you almost have to be in good shape, but at most, you only have a rough visual indication of where you stand...and that's going out of my way trying to track it and not immersing myself in the game (other than a forced and deliberate way) at all.

2.) 1,024 Has Been Done

-The only aspect of your game that hasn't been done is the vertical aspect, there are a ton of games that have done the horizontal thing and I think there may even be some five reel games in which horizontal results doing something like Reels 4,5,1 or Reels 2,3,4 would count as wins...I can't name any, but I know I've seen them. I could name tons of games that are just going left to right OR right to left, of course, everything but Scatters and two reel winners are incumbent on the center reel on those games.

3.) Free Games or Stacked Wilds, Both?

-This game definitely needs some sort of a draw in this regard. I understand you're only showing this as proof of concept, but I think I played about 100 spins just to try to test it out for you and it wasn't easy to get through that many.

Conclusion:

As much as I hate to say it, I think a game like this might have a chance after you add some sort of Free Games or Stacked Feature to it, and I also think the Horizontal pays and then Vertical pays was also a good suggestion. Other than that, just because it is so visually difficult to track I almost tend to believe that the game would succeed in spite of the basket feature rather than because of it...and I do apologize for having to say that. There's just nothing natural about it at all and for a player to play at a pace to fully have the anticipation of a potentially great spin would require slowing the game down way too much. I darted my eyes all over the screen after the horizontal and still could only visually track only about half of my winning possibilities before the spin was over...and even that was with basically ignoring the verticals as they were coming in.
Vultures can't be choosers.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 62
April 20th, 2017 at 6:54:30 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

2.) 1,024 Has Been Done

-The only aspect of your game that hasn't been done is the vertical aspect.

Lots of game have done vertical pays, I think what he has that may be unique is the concept of a multi stage spin where you get paid after each stage.
Trancemonkey
Trancemonkey
  • Threads: 0
April 21st, 2017 at 11:47:22 PM permalink
Hey, I'm the IGT game producer :)

You are correct that you can hold over sticky wilds and this is done on many many games. This is because a wild is an advantage to the player as it acts as all the symbols (if a scatter lands behind it you still have to award the scatter).

However holding over other symbols credit to credit could be a disadvantage and is therefore not allowed under all the regulations I know of... There may be some that would allow it.

The easiest way to do the double spin legally would be to charge 2x for it (so if you wanted to charge 30 credits a spin, charge 60 and do the two spins)

A few of the other posts have touched on the other issues I see with this game... The ability to track what's happening, the lack of a feature or stacked symbols to name a few.

I'm all for innovation but just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be... I think this is one that falls in to the category of "nice idea but probably won't work commercially"
Trancemonkey
Trancemonkey
April 21st, 2017 at 11:51:26 PM permalink
Multi stage spins have been done before where you're paid every spin...
Trancemonkey
Trancemonkey
April 21st, 2017 at 11:59:26 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

As far as I know, that "basket" style of play has never been done before. Interesting idea but I'm not sure it would be a success in the market. It is hard to get into the mind of a slot player but I think they like to see spinning reels and to have half the positions remain in place would subtract from the experience.

The problem with slot players is they are a fickle bunch... If you change things too much you risk a commercial flop...

The issue the industry faces is that it needs to innovate but innovation can't be too large otherwise players just don't like it... So it has to be a bit softly softly... Which is a shame because I'd like to take big leaps in innovation sometimes but when I've tried to do this the players nearly always dislike it :(
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 99
April 22nd, 2017 at 2:00:00 AM permalink
Quote: Trancemonkey

Hey, I'm the IGT game producer :)

It's certainly nice to see you! Are you guys listening to pitches on new Keno games, by chance? I have one great one, and admittedly, most of my other ideas stink!

Quote:

You are correct that you can hold over sticky wilds and this is done on many many games. This is because a wild is an advantage to the player as it acts as all the symbols (if a scatter lands behind it you still have to award the scatter).

However holding over other symbols credit to credit could be a disadvantage and is therefore not allowed under all the regulations I know of... There may be some that would allow it.

You would know better than I would, but I would think that it would be an advantage either way because it tells the player whether he should play or not. The machine would be, "Vulturable," which I'm sure is one reason why everyone here went to bat for it. A player could look at the alignment of the vertical symbols (which would stay in place while the horizontals moved and then give a payout before the verticals changed) and based on those symbols a new player could make a spin already knowing he has won or that the symbols are in very good position for him to have +EV.

For example, if I know that I am going to have four of the best symbols already in place (because of the verticals) such that I only need one of those symbols to fall in place for a vertical four-of-a-kind or horizontal five-of-a-kind on the horizontal spin, then I am definitely betting that!

Quote:

The easiest way to do the double spin legally would be to charge 2x for it (so if you wanted to charge 30 credits a spin, charge 60 and do the two spins)

A few of the other posts have touched on the other issues I see with this game... The ability to track what's happening, the lack of a feature or stacked symbols to name a few.

I agree 100%.

Quote:

I'm all for innovation but just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be... I think this is one that falls in to the category of "nice idea but probably won't work commercially"

I also agree with that 100%.
Vultures can't be choosers.
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
  • Threads: 26
April 22nd, 2017 at 5:59:13 AM permalink
I'm not sure if this takes away from his slot idea, but what would happen if the basket concept would spin horizontally and vertically at the same time and then both end at the same time? I don't think it would be very easy on the eyes, but would it allow him to get away from the double spin?
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
  • Threads: 26
April 22nd, 2017 at 6:04:42 AM permalink
Quote: Trancemonkey

The problem with slot players is they are a fickle bunch... If you change things too much you risk a commercial flop...

The issue the industry faces is that it needs to innovate but innovation can't be too large otherwise players just don't like it... So it has to be a bit softly softly... Which is a shame because I'd like to take big leaps in innovation sometimes but when I've tried to do this the players nearly always dislike it :(

Trancemonkey, I would think the players would be willing to try the new concepts and innovations. In your situation, was the player's dislike a result of the gaming company not giving the player enough time to "get to know the game" before deciding that it wasn't a success? There have been a number of new games which I originally said that I didn't like after playing them for a short amount of time, but after a few more times of going back to it, the game kind of grew on me and I eventually came around to liking the game.
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
  • Threads: 8
April 22nd, 2017 at 9:10:58 AM permalink
This is a mobile compatible slot game that is ideal for mobile users which is a huge market that brings in approx. 60% revenue of all online gambling (vs. approx. 40% for desktop/ babyboomers). Traditional slot games do not look good in portrait mode, while this one looks great either way you hold your mobile device. Younger generation of players may be more open to playing this game since it gives a better user experience.

Portrait mode may be compatible with new IGT, SGI, Aristocrat etc. slot cabinet portrait displays.
There may be different modes with up to 6x9 strips that gives 10,077,696 ways to win.
Never Cut Corners. Integrity Is Everything.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 29
April 22nd, 2017 at 12:06:24 PM permalink
I'm sorry to say but the game bored me after about five spins. I found the vertical spin occurring after the first spin visually upsetting.
I wouldn't touch this game. Just my opinion. Too many symbols and hard to track anything until the wheels stop.

• Jump to: