9 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
December 30th, 2018 at 6:13:07 PM permalink
A Buddhist monk is told to meditate for exactly 45 minutes. He is given two incense sticks, each of which burn for exactly an hour, but at variable rates. He is also given plenty of matches. He has no watch or other way of telling time. How can he know when 45 minutes have elapsed?

As always, please put answers in spoiler tags.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
December 30th, 2018 at 6:15:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

A Buddhist monk is told to meditate for exactly 45 minutes. He is given two incense sticks and, each of which burn for exactly an hour, but at variable rates. He is also given plenty of matches. He has no watch or other way of telling time. How can he know when 45 minutes have elapsed?

As always, please put answers in spoiler tags.

Light three ends. When one stick is gone, light the fourth end.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 30th, 2018 at 6:27:27 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Light three ends. When one stick is gone, light the fourth end.

Congratulations.

Two minutes -- that was quick.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
December 31st, 2018 at 7:11:34 AM permalink
I think you posted this one before.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 31st, 2018 at 8:01:21 AM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

I think you posted this one before.

Good puzzles bear repeating.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 31st, 2018 at 8:32:12 AM permalink
A good Buddhist always knows what time it is.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 31st, 2018 at 11:45:23 AM permalink
There is no time. There is only the now.

Except when you're cooking a roast in the oven.

What is Tuckersoft?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 31st, 2018 at 11:49:34 AM permalink
BTW, i thought that was an outstanding solve by unJon.

I would not have thought of it, because the only incense sticks I've ever seen had one end with product, like a match, and several inches of bare wood for attachment in a holder.

so how does a stick burn at both ends without setting anything else on fire?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
December 31st, 2018 at 12:12:38 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I would not have thought of it, because the only incense sticks I've ever seen had one end with product, like a match, and several inches of bare wood for attachment in a holder.

Yea this is the only incense I’ve seen as well, except for the little cones. I was initially confused by the solution.

unJon
unJon
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
December 31st, 2018 at 12:38:08 PM permalink

It was mostly luck. The expression “burning the candle at both ends” popped into my head as soon as I read the riddle.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 31st, 2018 at 3:57:36 PM permalink
I guess I'll have to reword the puzzle to say the sticks can be burned from both ends, although that will give away a big hint. Any suggestions on wording?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 31st, 2018 at 4:02:34 PM permalink

I guess I'll have to reword the puzzle to say the sticks can be burned from both ends, although that will give away a big hint. Any suggestions on wording?

How about a symmetrical incense stick.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
mustangsally
mustangsally
  • Threads: 25
December 31st, 2018 at 4:14:49 PM permalink

How can he know when 45 minutes have elapsed?

does it have to be a Buddhist monk?

Hopefully the sticks are Jasmine or Lavender. I like those.

He (the monk) uses a finger to find the center of one stick. Balance. Easy. sure a ruler works just as well.
cut or break it in half. uses long fingernails to score the stick first.
Duh
did it again to one of the halves. Now one stick is down to a quarter.
yes, some sticks can be thicker than others but all Buddhist monks (I think) have a swiss army knife on them at all times
measure that 1/4 stick off the full length stick and cut or break it right there. 3/4 of a stick = 45 minutes
Hopefully the monk has a real nice burner, though a bowl with sand will work (look out of place in a fancy monastery)

Actually I am not familiar with Buddhist customs and why they do the things they do.

Sally
I Heart Vi Hart
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
December 31st, 2018 at 4:29:16 PM permalink

How about two cigars .
Last edited by: petroglyph on Dec 31, 2018
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 31st, 2018 at 7:22:20 PM permalink
Quote: mustangsally

He (the monk) uses a finger to find the center of one stick. Balance. Easy. sure a ruler works just as well.[spoiler]cut or break it in half. uses long fingernails to score the stick first.

I did say the incense stick burns at an uneven rate. So, if you broke it in half, each half wouldn't necessary last 30 minutes.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 31st, 2018 at 7:24:13 PM permalink

What is Tuckersoft?

DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
December 31st, 2018 at 10:17:48 PM permalink

Why not just sticks? They don't have to be incense.

You could also mention that the sticks are of varying cross-sectional area to explain why their burn rates are variable.

Dog Hand
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
December 31st, 2018 at 11:22:26 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Why not just sticks? They don't have to be incense.

If a Buddhist monk is given just 2 plain old sticks he’s gonna know something’s up.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 1st, 2019 at 12:08:39 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

If a Buddhist monk is given just 2 plain old sticks he’s gonna know something’s up.

The problem is we're assuming it has to be a Buddhist monk. Why not a Catholic monk or an atheist monk? Racists!

But for real tho, first time I heard it, it was described as being a rope. No monks necessary!
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 1st, 2019 at 7:08:31 AM permalink
I don't understand the solve on this one. You say it burns at variable speed which I assume means that it will burn fast and slow, it will take an hour to burn but because it is half way done that doesn't mean that it has been 30 min?

My first thought was burn both ends and when they meet it has been 30 minutes. What does lighting the other stick at the same time accomplish and why are you lighting the 4th side?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
January 1st, 2019 at 7:08:31 AM permalink
I don't understand the solve on this one. You say it burns at variable speed which I assume means that it will burn fast and slow, it will take an hour to burn but because it is half way done that doesn't mean that it has been 30 min?

My first thought was burn both ends and when they meet it has been 30 minutes. What does lighting the other stick at the same time accomplish and why are you lighting the 4th side?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 1st, 2019 at 7:34:22 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I mean you can't cut it in half and expect each half to take 30 minutes. One might take 25 and the other 35, for example.
GWAE
GWAE
January 1st, 2019 at 7:42:36 AM permalink

I mean you can't cut it in half and expect each half to take 30 minutes. One might take 25 and the other 35, for example.

That's what I thought, but then if the burning of both ends accounts for 30 min, how do you get the other 15
unJon
unJon
January 1st, 2019 at 7:44:51 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

That's what I thought, but then if the burning of both ends accounts for 30 min, how do you get the other 15

If you burn one at both ends you have a 30 min timer. At the same time you light the second stick at one end and know it’s been burning for 30 min. So second stick has 30 min of burn left (might be more or less than half a stick but it’s 30 min). With that 30 min left, you light the second side of the remaining stick, turning its 30 min left into 15 min left.
mustangsally
mustangsally
January 1st, 2019 at 8:55:25 AM permalink

this has to be one of the worst math type questions out there. other sites have also tried to reword the question so others can understand it better (with no luck -- good luck math teachers)

most western type folks do not know what a Buddhist incense stick is
and let alone there are types that can be lighted on both ends at the same time, not the most common type either.
and the sticks do not burn at an exact overall rate or time. that is so foolish.

one has to say the incense sticks are the type that can be lighted at both ends, there gives away the answer.

back to the drawing board!

rose parade in 5 minutes
Sally
I Heart Vi Hart
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 1st, 2019 at 2:11:18 PM permalink

this has to be one of the worst math type questions out there. other sites have also tried to reword the question so others can understand it better (with no luck -- good luck math teachers)

most western type folks do not know what a Buddhist incense stick is
and let alone there are types that can be lighted on both ends at the same time, not the most common type either.
and the sticks do not burn at an exact overall rate or time. that is so foolish.

one has to say the incense sticks are the type that can be lighted at both ends, there gives away the answer.

Doesn't your average pale-face know what an incense stick is? I've visited several Buddhist temples and always stop to buy and light some. It may not buy me any points with Buddha -- but why take any chances?

Anyway, I removed an old problem and made this problem 117 on my page of math problems. Here is the wording I went with:

Quote: Problem 117

A Buddhist monk is told to meditate for exactly 45 minutes. He is given two incense sticks, each of which will burn for exactly an hour, but at variable rates over the length of the stick. In other words, the length it takes a section to burn is not necessarily proportional to its length. You are given plenty of matches and scissors. How do you measure off 45 minutes?

I like to have a nice descriptive problem. I added the scissors to snip off the handle, which somebody mentioned here.
GWAE
GWAE
January 1st, 2019 at 2:25:38 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

If you burn one at both ends you have a 30 min timer. At the same time you light the second stick at one end and know it’s been burning for 30 min. So second stick has 30 min of burn left (might be more or less than half a stick but it’s 30 min). With that 30 min left, you light the second side of the remaining stick, turning its 30 min left into 15 min left.

Oh that makes sense. Sigh.. had a dumb moment.
mustangsally
mustangsally
January 1st, 2019 at 2:57:03 PM permalink

I added the scissors to snip off the handle, which somebody mentioned here.

I can agree with that.

the part about "He is given two incense sticks, each of which will burn for exactly an hour"
is really stretching the truth as I have never seen two sticks, that looked identical, burn exactly for the same time. (not that I actually tested that)

I tried this with 2 sticks (went in my Mom's collection while she was at a hospital - doing well now) that had about 30 to 45 minutes burn time and both burned completely in 2 different times, even when they looked identical.
smelled good

I would think some kind of math problem like the The Water Jug Riddle (AKA The Die Hard Riddle)
would be more fun and practical. A bottle and can of beer...

Sally
I Heart Vi Hart
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 1st, 2019 at 3:07:31 PM permalink

I would think some kind of math problem like the The Water Jug Riddle (AKA The Die Hard Riddle)
would be more fun and practical. A bottle and can of beer...

That is already problem 14. I'm all ears to other suggestions.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
January 1st, 2019 at 3:11:08 PM permalink

Why does the computer in that ad look more like 1978 rather than 2018? ;) :/
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 2nd, 2019 at 8:02:17 PM permalink
Quote: Nathan

Why does the computer in that ad look more like 1978 rather than 2018? ;) :/

Because you haven't watched Bandersnatch yet.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 3rd, 2019 at 2:15:37 PM permalink

Doesn't your average pale-face know what an incense stick is? I've visited several Buddhist temples and always stop to buy and light some. It may not buy me any points with Buddha -- but why take any chances?

Anyway, I removed an old problem and made this problem 117 on my page of math problems. Here is the wording I went with:

I like to have a nice descriptive problem. I added the scissors to snip off the handle, which somebody mentioned here.

I like the rewording with the scissors. I would suggest adding a ruler to the supplies as well. It will tease the "measure and cut" dead end, but can function as something to put the sticks on to keep them from burning the table.
sticks that burn completely are common. It may be a regional thing.
I have also previously seen this problem with two ropes as the medium.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 3rd, 2019 at 3:01:24 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I like the rewording with the scissors. I would suggest adding a ruler to the supplies as well. It will tease the "measure and cut" dead end, but can function as something to put the sticks on to keep them from burning the table.
sticks that burn completely are common. It may be a regional thing.
I have also previously seen this problem with two ropes as the medium.

Thanks, but I don't want to confuse the reader too much with red herrings.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 3rd, 2019 at 4:50:03 PM permalink

Thanks, but I don't want to confuse the reader too much with red herrings.

Consider this... the Spanish translation of "Red Herring" is
... Trampa
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 3rd, 2019 at 5:37:09 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Consider this... the Spanish translation of "Red Herring" is

... Trampa

That is yet another red herring you're confusing the issue with.
  • Jump to: