1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)
4 votes (26.66%)

15 members have voted

michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
June 16th, 2017 at 3:44:22 PM permalink
I don't think there's any way around it. The fact that they all ate exactly the same amount is vital to getting to the answer you are considering the correct one , but is not obvious enough to just expect people to assume. Three people " sharing" a meal does not at all imply they ate the same amount nor does them all eating for the same length of time (everyone eats at their own speed)
As a matter of fact, I'd actually assume they didn't all eat the same amount because they didn't bring the same amount. If you and I decide to drink together and you bring a case of beer while I bring a six pack, would you assume we both planned on drinking the same amount ?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 275
June 17th, 2017 at 3:20:07 AM permalink
btw I can't get google translate to do Götterfunken

it will do 'gods' for Götter, and 'spark' for funken, but it seems unlikely it means 'godspark' unless that is like 'goddamn' or something

PS: regular google did better, but the word seems to be connected to 'Ode to Joy' poem by Shiller

first line:
Freude, schöner Götterfunken = Joy, beautiful spark of the gods

Godspark it, explain yourself, Wizard!
"Baccarat is a game whereby the croupier gathers in money with a flexible sculling oar, then rakes it home. If I could have borrowed his oar I would have stayed." .......... Mark Twain
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 978
June 17th, 2017 at 6:18:26 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

I don't think there's any way around it. The fact that they all ate exactly the same amount is vital to getting to the answer you are considering the correct one , but is not obvious enough to just expect people to assume. Three people " sharing" a meal does not at all imply they ate the same amount nor does them all eating for the same length of time (everyone eats at their own speed)
As a matter of fact, I'd actually assume they didn't all eat the same amount because they didn't bring the same amount. If you and I decide to drink together and you bring a case of beer while I bring a six pack, would you assume we both planned on drinking the same amount ?

Let's say you and your friends go to Hooters and order a basket of wings. When it comes time to pay the check do you divide it exactly according to how many each person ate?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 17th, 2017 at 6:20:06 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Freude, schöner Götterfunken

Yes, it was a reference to Beethoven's 9th symphony, 4th movement. I knew its meaning about as far as you got but was hoping one of our German speaking members could take it a little further.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 275
June 17th, 2017 at 8:42:33 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Yes, it was a reference to Beethoven's 9th symphony, 4th movement. I knew its meaning about as far as you got but was hoping one of our German speaking members could take it a little further.

although it doesn't have that meaning, I think I kind of like it as a new cussword to use!
"Baccarat is a game whereby the croupier gathers in money with a flexible sculling oar, then rakes it home. If I could have borrowed his oar I would have stayed." .......... Mark Twain
RS
RS 
  • Threads: 49
June 17th, 2017 at 9:27:19 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Our local German expert, Axel. ;-)
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
June 17th, 2017 at 9:52:02 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

although it doesn't have that meaning, I think I kind of like it as a new cussword to use!

Götterfunken is allowed as a curse word here at WoV, I might add.

• Jump to: