Thread Rating:

miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
June 9th, 2015 at 3:44:35 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

What happened to all the camp 1/6 members? Is there a Flat Earth Society meeting keeping them busy?

Coincidentally, I was just informed that I made a conditional probability error where the correct answer was 1/6. I originally had 1/5. How many push ups do I own for that one?
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
June 9th, 2015 at 3:51:18 PM permalink
Quote: miplet

Coincidentally, I was just informed that I made a conditional probability error where the correct answer was 1/6. I originally had 1/5. How many push ups do I own for that one?

25 -- To be done at the next WoV gathering.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
June 9th, 2015 at 4:51:18 PM permalink

I am looking forward to Alan personally getting in touch with me to resolve or concede the bet. He may get an F in probability but he is an honest man in my eyes until proven otherwise.

For everyone to see:

Yes, Wizard, I will probably lose the bet. But on my next visit to Vegas I would like to go through the motions of it anyway (for the fun of it) and then I would be more than pleased to buy you lunch.

Regarding the discussion: on my forum several mathematicians including a professor who is with some mathematics group joined the discussion and as they dissected the wording of the question, they conceded the correct answer is 1/6.

And then the discussion died off.

You can see the end of the discussion here: http://forum.alanbestbuys.com/showthread.php?3454-The-Wizard-will-bank-this-bet-1-6-vs-1-11/page41 starting with post #805 by onyx99 followed by post #818 by jihkro who said he was a professor and with http://math.stackexchange.com/

The wording of the original question, as the 1/6 supporters interpret it, must keep one die fixed on 2. It would be the same as rolling one die that comes to rest on a 2 and then rolling a second die. However, that is not what happens when two dice are rolled simultaneously by hand or from a cup which is the 1/11 result.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
June 9th, 2015 at 5:14:10 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

The wording of the original question, as the 1/6 supporters interpret it, must keep one die fixed on 2. It would be the same as rolling one die that comes to rest on a 2 and then rolling a second die. However, that is not what happens when two dice are rolled simultaneously by hand or from a cup which is the 1/11 result.

The latter is how I interpreted the wording of the question that you posted. It's clearly simultaneous:

"You have two 6-sided dice in a cup. You shake the dice, and slam the cup down onto the table, hiding the result. Your partner peeks under the cup, and tells you, truthfully, "At least one of the dice is a 2."
What is the probability that both dice are showing a 2?"

I don't see how you can misinterpret that as being equivalent to "rolling one die that comes to rest on a 2 and then rolling a second die."
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
June 9th, 2015 at 6:03:45 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

For everyone to see:
However, that is not what happens when two dice are rolled simultaneously by hand or from a cup which is the 1/11 result.

Alan,
Just in the interest of clarity.

Are you now agreeing that in the wager as agreed with Mike, that a single deuce would be the result ten times more often than a pair of deuces? ... and certainly not five times more often, on average of course.

Are you further agreeing, by implication, that your agreed wager does not accurately reflect your own interpretation of the original question?

... And are you also agreeing that Mike's offer to pay less than 10:1 would put him at a statistical, mathematical, real world advantage, over a significant number of rolls, setting aside that 'anything can happen with rolling dice just a small number of times'?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
June 10th, 2015 at 5:12:15 AM permalink
Oh boy. Here we go again. Spiraling into the abyss.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
beachmonkey
October 23rd, 2017 at 5:31:16 PM permalink
Sorry to wake up what is one of the most dreadful threads on this site, but I have been meaning to redo my video in which I attempt to explain the answer "using only dice." My first video had a comment about double counting that I think confused the audience and I've been meaning to redo it ever since. I finally got around to it, at the same time I did the commentaries on the video poker challenge. Here it is. I welcome all comments.

Here is the original video. Question for the forum -- should I remove the original video or keep it up?

beachmonkey
beachmonkey
  • Threads: 6
October 23rd, 2017 at 6:01:06 PM permalink
Keep it, both are simple explanations, thanks
Kind regards
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 23rd, 2017 at 6:17:21 PM permalink
Quote: beachmonkey

Keep it, both are simple explanations, thanks

Thank you and you're welcome!
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
RS
October 24th, 2017 at 9:44:09 AM permalink

Sorry to wake up what is one of the most dreadful threads on this site, but ...

Ggaaaarrrhhhhhh. Ya b*****. Years of therapy undone.
Not forgiven.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: