No votes (0%)
2 votes (40%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

dblanch256
dblanch256
  • Threads: 7
January 18th, 2014 at 9:48:05 AM permalink
The first reliably dated department store to be established, was Harding, Howell & Co, which opened in 1796 on Pall Mall, London. Placing price tags on items was considered revolutionary, but good for business because it cut down on the time required to negotiate a sale.

Many years later, an entire industry was born who studied the psychological dimension of pricing. They discovered that people would flock to items marked $3.99 or $3.95 over other identical items priced at, say $4.04.

Fast forward to the future, when the human race has further evolved and people demand not only a bargain but a math challenge as well. This department store "of the future" uses combinations of imaginary numbers for pricing and requires you to ask yourself:

Would I pay i^i (i, the square root of -1, raised to the i'th power) dollars for an item worth (in conventional terms) $.50?

[PLEASE use spoiler tags to allow people, if any, who may not be familiar with this a chance to try it.]

=======================================================================================

"The only thing that's new in the world is the history you don't know." --Harry S. Truman
David C Blanchard
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 18th, 2014 at 10:48:23 AM permalink
Quote: dblanch256

The first reliably dated department store to be established, was Harding, Howell & Co, which opened in 1796 on Pall Mall, London. Placing price tags on items was considered revolutionary, but good for business because it cut down on the time required to negotiate a sale.

Many years later, an entire industry was born who studied the psychological dimension of pricing. They discovered that people would flock to items marked $3.99 or $3.95 over other identical items priced at, say $4.04.

Fast forward to the future, when the human race has further evolved and people demand not only a bargain but a math challenge as well. This department store "of the future" uses combinations of imaginary numbers for pricing and requires you to ask yourself:

Would I pay i^i (i, the square root of -1, raised to the i'th power) dollars for an item worth (in conventional terms) $.50?

[PLEASE use spoiler tags to allow people, if any, who may not be familiar with this a chance to try it.]

=======================================================================================

"The only thing that's new in the world is the history you don't know." --Harry S. Truman

Welcome back, Fred.

yes, I would buy that; i^i = 0.20787957635, or a bargain at 59% off!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 18th, 2014 at 10:52:58 AM permalink
I think my personal shopping Bot would automatically scan the web for it when I ran low and automatically order the cheapest brand without my involvement in the decision at all.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 18th, 2014 at 11:51:22 AM permalink

ii = (eln i)i = ei ln i

ei PI/2 = cos PI/2 + i sin PI/2 = i, so ln i = i PI/2

ei ln i = ei * (i PI/2) = e-PI/2 = 0.20788
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
January 18th, 2014 at 1:38:08 PM permalink
You''l want to read that thread
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/math/15393-what-does-e-pi-i-equal/
and the one it refers to. We have had that discussion already.
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 18th, 2014 at 1:43:29 PM permalink
I love how people rave over a buy one, get one half price sale. And turn their nose up at 30% off on the same item.

But then when we were married, Babs saved me so much shopping that I had to declare bankruptcy.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
dblanch256
dblanch256
January 18th, 2014 at 2:33:45 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Welcome back, Fred.

(1) Quite correct!

(2) Sorry, but I'm getting a different answer. Would you consider "showing your work"? Maybe we can get to the bottom of this. Regardless, thanks for heeding the Spoiler button request!

David C Blanchard
dblanch256
dblanch256
January 18th, 2014 at 2:43:53 PM permalink

Welcome back, Fred.

(1) Who is Fred?

(2) Quite Correct.

David C Blanchard
dblanch256
dblanch256
January 18th, 2014 at 2:44:54 PM permalink

Welcome back, Fred.

(1) Who is Fred?

(2) Quite Correct

David C Blanchard
dblanch256
dblanch256
January 18th, 2014 at 2:48:40 PM permalink
Quote: kubikulann

You''l want to read that thread
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/math/15393-what-does-e-pi-i-equal/
and the one it refers to. We have had that discussion already.

I went to that thread, which has over 100 posts in it. I saw many variations of Eulers equation, but not this specific problem.
However, I take you at your word that it exists in there somewhere. Thanks for the link.
David C Blanchard
dblanch256
dblanch256
January 18th, 2014 at 2:55:16 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

ii = (eln i)i = ei ln i

ei PI/2 = cos PI/2 + i sin PI/2 = i, so ln i = i PI/2

ei ln i = ei * (i PI/2) = e-PI/2 = 0.20788

Shorter version might be that since e^(i theta) is the unit vector in complex plan with angle theta,
i = e^(i theta) is true when theta = pi/2. Resulting in, well, what you got.
David C Blanchard
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
January 18th, 2014 at 3:07:24 PM permalink

Using a^b = exp(b * ln a), so
i^i = exp(i * ln i) = exp (i * i*pi/2) = 0.208...
But this does not imply you should buy it if it's worth .5 - this depends if you either want the item or could sell it otherwise.
dblanch256
dblanch256
January 18th, 2014 at 4:00:21 PM permalink
Quote: MangoJ

Using a^b = exp(b * ln a), so
i^i = exp(i * ln i) = exp (i * i*pi/2) = 0.208...
But this does not imply you should buy it if it's worth .5 - this depends if you either want the item or could sell it otherwise.

Good point, and well done!
David C Blanchard
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 18th, 2014 at 5:52:30 PM permalink
One plus One is Two, Two plus Two is Four ....
If it takes all this to figure out a price ain't nobody gonna be buying no products in this store of imaginary numbers.
People might start going to such a store ... you know, make-up, perfume, etc. then go shopping at the store of imaginary numbers and soon to be rich tech heads but it won't have anything to do with prices for the transactions that take place there.
  • Jump to: