jon
jon
  • Threads: 11
October 18th, 2013 at 8:55:47 PM permalink
A lawyer is guarding an entrance to a bridge over a bottomless pit. A philosopher approaches the entrance and wants to cross the bridge. The lawyer says to the philosopher, "if you speak the truth I will allow you to pass. But if you lie, I will push you into the pit." The philosopher thinks about it for a minute and says to the lawyer, "you will push me into the pit."

So what happens? There is an actual solution.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
October 18th, 2013 at 9:34:08 PM permalink
The philosopher is doomed. His correct response should have been,"If you lie, I will throw you into the pit."
This because the Lawyer as guard makes his own rules and enforces them. Since the contract offered did not make the guard responsible, the guard as lawyer can lie about throwing the Philosopher into the pit, thus any response other than holding the Guard/Lawyer responsible for lying, means the pit for the Philosopher.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 18th, 2013 at 9:42:20 PM permalink
The lawyer sues and the philosopher settles out of court.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 18th, 2013 at 10:00:25 PM permalink
the philosopher lied to the lawyer when he said the lawyer would push him into the pit. it was a yes or no statement; either he would or he wouldn't (future tense). that made the opposite true. because the opposite was true, that the lawyer would not push him into the pit, the lawyer was then constrained from doing so because the philosopher had told the truth by lying.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
98Clubs
98Clubs
October 18th, 2013 at 10:11:19 PM permalink
The Lawyer lied, and threw the Philosopher into the pit anyway. Seems this is a one sided contract, no?
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 18th, 2013 at 10:22:42 PM permalink
1) The lawyer allows the philosopher to step three paces onto the bridge, then cuts the rope and watches as the philosopher plummets (without being pushed) into the pit. The lawyer did not push the philosopher.

2) The lawyer, reasoning that a bottomless pit is not actually a pit but a tunnel, pushes the lawyer into the abyss.

3) The lawyer, acting as counsel for the troll under the bridge, used ethically-justifiable deception in his negotiations with his client's adversary (the philosopher) and promptly pushes him into the pit.

4) There is no consideration and therefore no valid contract. The lawyer pushes the philosopher into the pit.

5) The lawyer allows the philosopher to pass. As the philosopher exits the bridge on the opposite side of the chasm, the lawyer runs up behind him and pushes him into the pit. Allowing the philosopher to pass and pushing him into the pit are not mutually-exclusive.

6) The word "but" in the clause "but if you lie" indicates an exception to the previous conditional. Therefore, the lawyer trips the philosopher who sprawls out on the ground at the edge of the abyss. Because the philosopher is now lying, the lawyer pushes him off the edge into the pit.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 18th, 2013 at 10:27:59 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

1) The lawyer allows the philosopher to step three paces onto the bridge, then cuts the rope and watches as the philosopher plummets (without being pushed) into the pit. The lawyer did not push the philosopher.

2) The lawyer, reasoning that a bottomless pit is not actually a pit but a tunnel, pushes the lawyer into the abyss.

3) The lawyer, acting as counsel for the troll under the bridge, used ethically-justifiable deception in his negotiations with his client's adversary (the philosopher) and promptly pushes him into the pit.

4) There is no consideration and therefore no valid contract. The lawyer pushes the philosopher into the pit.

5) The lawyer allows the philosopher to pass. As the philosopher exits the bridge on the opposite side of the chasm, the lawyer runs up behind him and pushes him into the pit. Allowing the philosopher to pass and pushing him into the pit are not mutually-exclusive.

6) The word "but" in the clause "but if you lie" indicates an exception to the previous conditional. Therefore, the lawyer trips the philosopher who sprawls out on the ground at the edge of the abyss. Because the philosopher is now lying, the lawyer pushes him off the edge into the pit.

This is great stuff, ME!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
jon
jon
October 18th, 2013 at 10:38:22 PM permalink

Yes! That is the "correct" answer. Your #1 doesn't make sense to me but #6 is hysterical (and I suppose also logically correct).
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 18th, 2013 at 10:48:45 PM permalink
Quote: jon

#6 is hysterical (and I suppose also logically correct).

"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
98Clubs
98Clubs
October 18th, 2013 at 11:08:01 PM permalink

Bravo Maestro Bravo
Since jon revealed "the correct" answer, I will reveal my answer in paraphrase with extended remarks.

Philosopher: "If you lie, I will throw you in the pit." (he should say this but does not ensuring a hidden advantage to reletive position)
But the Philosopher actually says, "You will throw me in the pit.".
The Philosopher has rationalized the scenario correctly. (the Philosopher is doomed)

Though doomed, the Philosopher now puts the Lawyer's life at risk. In short a Mexican Standoff that raises the Philosopher's odds to 50/50.
There are four futures in the scenario.
1.) The Philosopher is doomed.
2.) The Lawyer is doomed.
3.) Both are doomed.
4.) None are doomed.

Since its a bridge that all must cross when needing to cross, the correct answer to this solution is future #3. Now the bridge is unguarded, and all others may pass without being thrown into the pit. The Philosopher's life is sacrificed to spare others. The Lawyer has made the first and last mistake ever made... misjudging the Opponent.

The Philosopher played poker and played close to the vest, the Lawyer by the Philosopher's utterance alone, misjudged the Philosopher's ability to rationalize.
Consider the Mexican standoff, Mutual Assured Destruction, and Dan'l Webster v. Devil. Some truths are better unspoken.

I had to edit this a few times to remove sexuality of Opponents, add the parentheticals and the finale. I remember this Q&A from years back. But, no one wins, anyway.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
October 19th, 2013 at 2:54:42 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

The Lawyer lied, and threw the Philosopher into the pit anyway. Seems this is a one sided contract, no?

+1

This was easy. Who would possibly assume the lawyer would tell the truth?
98Clubs
98Clubs
October 19th, 2013 at 9:18:39 AM permalink
Don't fall into that trap!, you'll never know a Philosopher based upon looks, or answers to your propositions.
This would have made a good Kung Fu episode (but of course THAT answer would have been #2, cause its TV),
and it HAS been a part of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy... the Philosopher is Gandalf!
jon
jon
October 19th, 2013 at 10:02:28 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

+1

This was easy. Who would possibly assume the lawyer would tell the truth?

LOL! It wasn't my intent, but apparently using "lawyer" as the gateskeeper threw people off because they assumed he would be lying! What has my profession come to?!
98Clubs
98Clubs
October 19th, 2013 at 4:51:17 PM permalink
Fear not Jon.... The bridge was upon the road to Hell, and the lawyer was preventing sinners to go to Hell. The Philosopher as Devil has only insured that future travellers are free to go to Hell.

See, there is a happy ending for Lawyers !
puzzlenut
puzzlenut
  • Threads: 9
October 26th, 2013 at 3:23:03 PM permalink
Quote: jon

A lawyer is guarding an entrance to a bridge over a bottomless pit. A philosopher approaches the entrance and wants to cross the bridge. The lawyer says to the philosopher, "if you speak the truth I will allow you to pass. But if you lie, I will push you into the pit." The philosopher thinks about it for a minute and says to the lawyer, "you will push me into the pit."

This is a variation of Bertrand Russell's paradox: The barber shaves all the men in town who do not shave themselves. Who shaves the barber?

I assume there is significance in the guardian being a lawyer. In that case he lets the philosopher pass even though he lied because that is the only way he could send him a bill.
  • Jump to: