MJGolf
MJGolf
  • Threads: 8
October 1st, 2020 at 6:18:09 PM permalink
For anyone either in Vegas or who has tried them, is anyone familiar with Papillion's or Maverick's Helicopter rides combined with a dinner experience? They are around $200+ per person. Just thought that would be a cool date deal at night. So would appreciate a review or advice. Heading there this weekend
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
October 1st, 2020 at 9:25:48 PM permalink
If you've never done a helicopter ride before, go ahead. I did a helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon which was supposed to include a rafting trip on the Colorado and lunch. The rafting trip was about 15 minutes on a very mild section of the river. The lunch was in a paper sack.

I have no idea how the "dinner experience" is connected to the helicopter ride, but my gut advice is get your own dinner.

Now that I've crossed riding in a helicopter off my list, I doubt I'll shell out over $100 to do it again.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
October 1st, 2020 at 9:29:27 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

If you've never done a helicopter ride before, go ahead. I did a helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon which was supposed to include a rafting trip on the Colorado and lunch. The rafting trip was about 15 minutes on a very mild section of the river. The lunch was in a paper sack.

I have no idea how the "dinner experience" is connected to the helicopter ride, but my gut advice is get your own dinner.

Now that I've crossed riding in a helicopter off my list, I doubt I'll shell out over $100 to do it again.

I agree the helicopter trip I took was a bit underwhelming considering how exotic and heroic Hollywood makes it feel.

Still it was the short duration of the trip for the price that hurt the most. Adding to the experience with a dinner might work for me

If I'm ever back in Vegas
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
Thanked by
odiousgambit
October 2nd, 2020 at 7:18:41 AM permalink
Call any FBO about hourly rental of a helicopter andpilot adjust for salary and you will see there is scant left over for steak or champagne. For some the paperbag may come in useful.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
October 2nd, 2020 at 3:10:34 PM permalink
There's a helicopter on TV. It's been sitting on the White House lawn for an hour. Wonder who is ill enough to board that!
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 87
October 2nd, 2020 at 7:09:12 PM permalink
I use to work for a helicopter company that flew out to the “ditch” slang for the Grand Canyon when I lived in Vegas. Unfortunately the company just seized operations due to Covid-19. Sundance Helicopters was one of the big three operators, now there are two left. You can’t go wrong with either Papillon or Maverick. Papillon flies out of Boulder City, and Maverick our of Henderson and LAS. They both pick you up at the hotel. I highly recommend it, just make sure you pick a tour that actually lands down in the ditch. It will give you an opportunity to get out of the bird and walk around and take in the scenery.

Don’t forget to tip the pilot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 2nd, 2020 at 7:36:56 PM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

Why should I tip him and not the Southwest pilot who flew me into Vegas from Baltimore?
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Thanked by
DeMango
October 2nd, 2020 at 8:20:35 PM permalink

Why should I tip him and not the Southwest pilot who flew me into Vegas from Baltimore?

He or she will also be your tour guide, and waiter or waitress and bartender if you eat down in the ditch . Of course tipping is not required just like anything else. Your SW pilot was not a tour guide. Just like you don’t tip the driver of a Greyhound bus taking you to Phoenix, but you should tip the driver of a tour bus driver showing whatever you are sightseeing.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 638
October 3rd, 2020 at 12:47:04 PM permalink

I use to work for a helicopter company that flew out to the “ditch” slang for the Grand Canyon when I lived in Vegas. Unfortunately the company just seized operations due to Covid-19. Sundance Helicopters was one of the big three operators, now there are two left. You can’t go wrong with either Papillon or Maverick. Papillon flies out of Boulder City, and Maverick our of Henderson and LAS. They both pick you up at the hotel. I highly recommend it, just make sure you pick a tour that actually lands down in the ditch.
It will give you an opportunity to get out of the bird and walk around and take in the scenery.

a decade ago, i took a turbo prop from vegas to the grand canyon (south rim?).
did a few hrs of sight seeing then back on the turbo prop. (van ferried us to and from.)

taking a heli to the bottom of the Canyon sounds better.
how much does it cost?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
October 3rd, 2020 at 1:08:37 PM permalink

Disparity is everywhere.

Why tip a waiter for table service but not a McDonald's worker?

In my experience those McDonald's workers do more "heavy-lifting" than regular waitresses
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 3rd, 2020 at 7:24:57 PM permalink

He or she will also be your tour guide, and waiter or waitress and bartender if you eat down in the ditch . Of course tipping is not required just like anything else. Your SW pilot was not a tour guide. Just like you don’t tip the driver of a Greyhound bus taking you to Phoenix, but you should tip the driver of a tour bus driver showing whatever you are sightseeing.

Fair point.

Will you concede that the passenger does not have to give the pilot a tip if the trip doesn't involve landing in the ditch? How about if he does and just hands you a lunch in a paper bag?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 3rd, 2020 at 7:31:43 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Disparity is everywhere.

Why tip a waiter for table service but not a McDonald's worker?

In my experience those McDonald's workers do more "heavy-lifting" than regular waitresses

I honestly didn't know the etiquette of tipping helicopter pilots.

As to McDonalds, that is just a functionary job.
100xOdds
100xOdds
October 4th, 2020 at 4:09:49 AM permalink

As to McDonalds, that is just a functionary job.

so what kind of job is a waitress?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 5th, 2020 at 7:11:39 AM permalink

I honestly didn't know the etiquette of tipping helicopter pilots.

It makes sense to me if they are acting as a tour guide and explaining the different sites. I would never tip a Greyhound bus driver but I always tip the sightseeing tour bus operators.

One of the people I don't tip that most people do is the barber that cuts my hair. In my case he is the business owner so I feel the price he charges should be the extent of it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
October 5th, 2020 at 8:29:18 AM permalink
Tipping is not required, but Y, essentially your helicopter pilot is your tour guide. So whether they land down in the ditch or not, you are still sightseeing . But again if they suck, don't tip. If you really enjoyed your experience and if you rhink your pilot did an outstanding job, slip them a 20.

A lot of people who travel don't realize that you should leave a tip for your housekeeping staff. Not saying at a cheap motel, but certainly in the major hotels. I usually leave something at the end of my stay.
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
October 5th, 2020 at 10:10:17 AM permalink
The expansion of tipping "etiquette" or protocol amazes me.

I always tipped in the "historically appropriate" circumstances. But when the "paperboy" on his bicycle, who put my newspaper between the screen door and my front door every day was replaced by the middle-aged, beer-barrel-gutted guy who tosses my paper into the gutter or a puddle as he streams by in his car, my tipping stopped. This year the guy added a self-addressed envelope (with no stamp!) at Christmas time into the newspaper baggie. Hint Hint.

Tipping is always optional. When it becomes expected, and the service provided gets worse? Not me.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 5th, 2020 at 10:10:44 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

so what kind of job is a waitress?

There is a wide range in the quality of service a waitress provides. She should get rewarded for doing the job well. However, one might argue that tipping shouldn't be required if she does just an adequate job, but it is.

Insert Mr. Pink scene from Reservoir Dogs here.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
October 5th, 2020 at 10:38:12 AM permalink
Some one told me that the buffet waiters are paid less than min. And the tips sometimes cover it. It may just be a local thing.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
October 5th, 2020 at 7:17:53 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

Some one told me that the buffet waiters are paid less than min. And the tips sometimes cover it. It may just be a local thing.

Depending where you work, a waiter or waitress could lose money serving your party. About a week ago, a rookie player from the Raiders left a $10 tip on a $600 check. From verified sources, the service was good. In this case, because the way the tip compliance was structured, an automatic tax deduction was applied based on a percentage of the check. So in this case, the server actually paid out of pocket so to speak to serve this individual or party. Of course in the course of the evening, the waiter probably overcame the deficit by serving other tables.

I always leave a tip at the buffet. May not be my usual 25-30%, but maybe $5 on a $25-30 buffet. But I have no problem leaving nothing at any establishment if the service was horrific.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
RogerKint
October 5th, 2020 at 7:55:40 PM permalink

I always leave a tip at the buffet. May not be my usual 25-30%, but maybe $5 on a $25-30 buffet. But I have no problem leaving nothing at any establishment if the service was horrific.

I think twice I have not left a tip at a restaurant but both times I told the waiter that I was not tipping because the service was terrible. I didn't want him to think I forgot or I was just cheap.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 6th, 2020 at 1:58:12 AM permalink

you should leave a tip for your housekeeping staff. Not saying at a cheap motel, but certainly in the major hotels. I usually leave something at the end of my stay.

Just as you tip at the START of thw craps game,you shoulf tip househttph at tge SRART of your stay dor ectras.
100xOdds
100xOdds
Thanked by
Vegasrider
October 6th, 2020 at 7:25:17 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Just as you tip at the START of thw craps game,you shoulf tip househttph at tge SRART of your stay dor ectras.

someone call a doctor. flea is having a stroke! :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 6th, 2020 at 6:56:27 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

someone call a doctor. flea is having a stroke! :)

:-). That was good.
  • Jump to: