helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 79
February 25th, 2019 at 4:17:19 PM permalink
Quote: Minty

I'm just laughing at the idea of summer tires. Here in the Midwest we say things like "what's summer" and "oh yeah, that summer was a nice Tuesday." Envious of you Vegas dwellers.

I understand a common joke in Minnesota is, "Last year summer was on a Tuesday and I had to work".

--helpmespock
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 25th, 2019 at 9:39:50 PM permalink
RWD is horrible in snow, but till the 80's
that's mostly all I had. Got first FWD
in 1990, an 80's Rabbit. Holy crap
what a difference. Much easier to
control on slippery roads and it's
much harder to get stuck. Going
up my driveway on a hill was a
breeze. Pulling the car up with
the front wheels was far better
than pushing it up with the rear.

Had a couple RWD pickup trucks
over the years, they were joke
in snow. They would get stuck
on a flat surface, let alone going
up hills. Even had a 55 gallon drum
of water in the back of one for
weight and it didn't help.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 25th, 2019 at 11:11:53 PM permalink
Wish this was longer. And they got
the music right, usually the music
is totally wrong for the video. It's
not easy, that's why they give awards
for scoring movies.

(3 drone videos)

This one is not as good:

This one is OK:

gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 4:07:22 AM permalink
I can’t imagine having a car payment in perpetuity. I am taking my second Toyota Highlander up to 200k miles. The thing that got me on the first one was the air conditioning. If you don’t need a car every 3 years to be happy, reliable cars are really not that expensive to maintain into high mileage.

I have friends in the south/west and I always chuckle at the things they do when it gets a little bit cold. I’ve never heard of anyone in the Northeast putting chains or snow tires on their car, unless it’s a plow truck or something.

My friend in the south swears that if he doesn’t turn his faucets to a drip when it gets cold outside, that all the pipes in his house will freeze and burst.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 7:11:57 AM permalink
My nephews seem to think a monthly car payment is proof of adulthood, and a necessity of modern life, along with cell phone bills or streaming. It's strange as their father drove his Nissan pickup for almost twenty years, to the point where it looked so bad , my Sister made him garage it after neighbors complained.
By the way, maintenance in my complex " bled" the pipes in the vacant apartment upstairs to keep them from freezing last week.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 7:54:43 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Whenever I have to put chains on my car, I can never remember if it is front-wheel drive or back-wheel. What are most cars?

Is it even advisable to throw chains on a FWD car? I can think of a few reasons it would be a bad idea.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 26th, 2019 at 8:00:00 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I can’t imagine having a car payment in perpetuity. I am taking my second Toyota Highlander up to 200k miles. The thing that got me on the first one was the air conditioning. If you don’t need a car every 3 years to be happy, reliable cars are really not that expensive to maintain into high mileage.

You got that one right! Car payments keep you broke. Leasing keeps you broke. Buying new keeps you broke. I run mine into the ground and have only bought new once in my life, a bottom of the line Accent. Ran it 9.5 years to 165,000 miles!

Quote:

I have friends in the south/west and I always chuckle at the things they do when it gets a little bit cold. I’ve never heard of anyone in the Northeast putting chains or snow tires on their car, unless it’s a plow truck or something.

I have not seen any tire chains on cars in the northeast since the very early 1980s. I think only places people do it are mountain areas and places like WY where they get lots of snow and you are really screwed if you get stuck on an empty road. GM until the 2000s had a tire-chain clearance standard and their cars looked unattractive because of it.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 8:18:40 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

You got that one right! Car payments keep you broke. Leasing keeps you broke. Buying new keeps you broke. I run mine into the ground and have only bought new once in my life, a bottom of the line Accent. Ran it 9.5 years to 165,000 miles!

I have not seen any tire chains on cars in the northeast since the very early 1980s. I think only places people do it are mountain areas and places like WY where they get lots of snow and you are really screwed if you get stuck on an empty road. GM until the 2000s had a tire-chain clearance standard and their cars looked unattractive because of it.

Not having money makes you broke. Having a bad job makes you broke. Spending more than you make gets you broke. Poor life choices get you broke.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 8:23:09 AM permalink

I agree, although I don’t think buying new is always as bad of a deal as it’s made out to be.

Used is always a bit of a risk. My girlfriend got absolutely hosed on a lemon of a Ford Focus, would have been cheaper to lease a car for the time that she owned it.

Warranties and Cheap/Free Financing on new cars can offset some of the depreciation.

And i’ll probably always be a Toyota guy, and man a used one with under 50k miles is barley cheaper than a new one.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 9:38:42 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I agree, although I don’t think buying new is always as bad of a deal as it’s made out to be.

Used is always a bit of a risk. My girlfriend got absolutely hosed on a lemon of a Ford Focus, would have been cheaper to lease a car for the time that she owned it.

Warranties and Cheap/Free Financing on new cars can offset some of the depreciation.

And i’ll probably always be a Toyota guy, and man a used one with under 50k miles is barley cheaper than a new one.

Auto exec Bob Lutz says he buys used.

Yes, used lemons out there. They were a new lemon to someone before. It is not like it used to be where you would go lot to lot and a wide variety, Now you find 3 year old off-lease cars with 45K on the clock and the rest is worn out wholesale pieces. 1/3 of cars are now leases. Half the rest people pay cash or near cash and the other half of the rest people take out 72+ month loans.

One exception seems to be pickup trucks. Often hard to find what you want used, and more people keep them longer.

BTW: Cheap financing does not offset depreciation, In fact it Actually makes it worse with too much subsidized iron on the road that is not selling well without it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 9:48:12 AM permalink

Auto exec Bob Lutz says he buys used.

I knew a woman years ago who was
worth over $20mil. She never bought
new and she could afford it. Every
2 years she bought a 2 year old
Buick or Olds station wagon with
low miles.

The manager of the car dealership
would start looking for it months
before she needed it. She had
researched it and found a 2 year
old low mileage was almost as
good as new, and 2/3 the price.
She got maximum trade in on the
4 year old because it was still low
mileage and station wagons were
highly valued as trade in's because
they were in high demand.

That's why she had $20 mil, always
understand money.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 6:34:17 PM permalink
Car dealers make a much higher profit selling used cars than new cars. Just make sure you get the best price no matter what you buy.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 7:17:59 PM permalink
2/3 the price. I wish. That means a 30,000 new car for 10,000 just 2 years later and with low miles. Anyone would jump on that deal.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
Moosetonhelpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 7:30:37 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

2/3 the price. I wish. That means a 30,000 new car for 10,000 just 2 years later and with low miles. Anyone would jump on that deal.

You might want to reassess your math.😀
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 8:10:30 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Car dealers make a much higher profit selling used cars than new cars. Just make sure you get the best price no matter what you buy.

I did that recently. Best deal in town! It’s for a reason. Always check the car fax(and actually read all of it).
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
beachbumbabshelpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 9:00:02 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I was only off by a zero. Give me a break.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
MaxPenhelpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 9:31:02 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Like I said...20,000 is a fair price. Getting old sucks
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
Thanked by
helpmespock
February 26th, 2019 at 10:05:38 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Had a couple RWD pickup trucks
over the years, they were joke
in snow. They would get stuck
on a flat surface, let alone going
up hills. Even had a 55 gallon drum
of water in the back of one for
weight and it didn't help.

Sometimes its the driver/owner that is the problem

I will not part with my 97 Ram 1500 8ft box extended cab with 220,000 km on the clock ( 136,000 miles)

It's RWD and I have never been close to being stuck in the snow.... and that includes the 7 winters out in Alberta .
Out west I used to load up a bunch of old transport truck worn out chains into the back for a little extra weight and kept the 35 gallon tank towards the full mark.... never even had to pull out those chains to lay down on the road should it have become stuck ............come spring the chains went into the work scrap metal bin where they came out of.
Good tires ( never had snow tires on it ) and knowing dropping it into low or second gear would get you rolling anytime . PIG on gas that old 360 engine but since I bought it in 2007 for $9000 Canadian and only 124,000 km on it I don't think I mind so much.

Now if I was in Vegas on the snow days I don't think I would have been driving till the roads were melted clean ...people with little to no experience driving on snow or ice I fear
  • Jump to: