helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 79
December 22nd, 2018 at 7:29:54 AM permalink
Well I've locked things in for our annual Las Vegas trip.

We’re there Sunday March 10 to Thursday March 14 and for a while both the Wynn and Treasure Island weren’t giving me much of a deal. I guess T-Mobile Arena is the site of the PAC-12 basketball tournament staring on the Wednesday so I guess that was holding prices higher. Wynn had Tuesday and Wednesday night at $199 and then $279. Treasure Island was $150 on those days.

Wynn’s offer changed last week to $139 on each of the four nights. I talked to Mrs. Helpmepock and she said wanted the Wynn over TI so I booked the Wynn. I think the difference in base room cost is about $110 total. In a strange twist, the offer I used no longer shows up on my Red Card account.

Car rental prices have also been stubbornly high running $40 per day. I’ve given up and locked in through Dollar Express. I probably should have waited them out.

As posted earlier, we’re flying Air Canada out of Toronto instead of Southwest out of Buffalo so I don’t get the free checked bags. I’ve taken my golf clubs the past couple years and gotten an early start to my season in Las Vegas. I think it’s $30 to check the golf clubs with Air Canada. If it’s more than that I won’t bother.

We’re going to be lazy and see Le Reve as our show this year since we’re staying at the Wynn.

We’ve still got to decide on restaurants and other sightseeing. I ‘m open to suggestions.

I’m looking forward to the trip as always. Winter got an early start in mid-November, but it got mild at the end of November, but with a lot of rain. I’m sure I’ll be desperate to get away from Winter by the time March rolls around.

I'm still trying to talk my mother into coming this year. She's turning 82 this month and she hasn't been on a trip in a while and I thought this would be an easy one for her. I'll pester her over Christmas.

I’m going to try a double-up gamble with craps and blackjack which I’ll post about separately.

--helpmespock
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
helpmespock
December 22nd, 2018 at 7:34:58 AM permalink
I’m not sure if you’ve seen La Reve before but it’s one of my favourite Vegas shows. I liked it better than O honestly.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
helpmespock
helpmespock
December 22nd, 2018 at 7:41:05 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

I’m not sure if you’ve seen La Reve before but it’s one of my favourite Vegas shows. I liked it better than O honestly.

Thanks! That's interesting as "O" is tops on our list of favourite shows seen in Las Vegas. I'll see if I can sniff out a deal for tickets perhaps through the concierge. Now that I've booked the trip the Wynn sometimes sends me follow-up offers on La Reve.

--helpmespock
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
December 22nd, 2018 at 7:48:38 AM permalink

Oh, that is interesting - I am a Cirque fan and O is a show I've yet to see - maybe I have to put Le Rêve on the calendar instead
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
December 22nd, 2018 at 7:48:57 AM permalink
I saw O and La Reve within a couple weeks of each other years ago. The reason I liked La Reve slightly better is the Wynn theatre surrounds the acrobats (seating is a bowl with the act in the middle) vs O where it’s theatre style. Also I liked the choreography slightly better. Both are amazing shows but La Reve just grabbed me. Also La Reve is cheaper which is nice (I actually got a half price ticket on top of the cheaper price) and their chairs are comfier.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
December 22nd, 2018 at 7:50:06 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Oh, that is interesting - I am a Cirque fan and O is a show I've yet to see - maybe I have to put Le Rêve on the calendar instead

I’m a huge Cirque fan too! I just saw my 12th different show a couple months ago which includes all 7 of the Vegas shows.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
December 22nd, 2018 at 8:12:13 AM permalink

I’m a huge Cirque fan too! I just saw my 12th different show a couple months ago which includes all 7 of the Vegas shows.

Which was your favorite of the Vegas shows?

Although not a Cirque show, have you seen Absinthe?
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
December 22nd, 2018 at 8:36:46 AM permalink
In my opinion Absinthe is the best show in Vegas. It has something for everyone. Seating is not as comfortable as some would like but the acts are awesome.
LeReve is in a very nice theater with some of the best seating anywhere. Not a bad seat in the house. The show is awesome if you really think about the logistics involved in what you are watching.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
December 22nd, 2018 at 8:47:28 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Which was your favorite of the Vegas shows?

Although not a Cirque show, have you seen Absinthe?

My favourite is Love, I have seen it 5 times. Next would probably be Mystere or Zarkana. I haven’t seen Absinthe even though I’ve gone with people to Caesars with intention of seeing it at least twice lol.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 22nd, 2018 at 8:59:31 AM permalink

I've seen Le Reve a couple of times, and enjoyed it. The show was different each time. Maybe they made adjustments depending on the performers?

They will try to get you to upgrade to a luxury package that includes "premium" seats, drink service, and underwater video feed, so you can see what's happening in the tank. I don't know about you, but those things didn't justify the upcharge to me. As PG mentioned, the seating is in the round, so every seat is a good seat. However, I think the best seats are halfway up. Closer to the tank puts you in the "splash" zone, and may block your view of the entire stage, while further up makes it harder to see the aerialists.

I'm curious what others think about how this compares to "O".

As for recommendations for other activities, it sounds like you have been to Las Vegas a number of times already. What are your, and Mrs. HMSpock's interests?

Have you been to a Top Golf facility? It's a glorified driving range, but fun with friends.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
December 22nd, 2018 at 2:53:10 PM permalink

My favourite is Love, I have seen it 5 times. Next would probably be Mystere or Zarkana. I haven’t seen Absinthe even though I’ve gone with people to Caesars with intention of seeing it at least twice lol.

Interesting, Love is my second favorite show. I have a feeling Absinthe will be your favorite once you see it.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
michael99000
December 22nd, 2018 at 4:00:21 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Interesting, Love is my second favorite show. I have a feeling Absinthe will be your favorite once you see it.

I have to agree. Absinthe is just that good.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 22nd, 2018 at 4:55:04 PM permalink

I liked Absinithe except for the gratuitous foul language. I am by no means a prude, but I was almost offended by how hard they were trying to offend me. It has been a couple years since I saw it so I don;t know if it is always that way.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
  • Threads: 3
December 22nd, 2018 at 9:43:43 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I liked Absinithe except for the gratuitous foul language. I am by no means a prude, but I was almost offended by how hard they were trying to offend me. It has been a couple years since I saw it so I don;t know if it is always that way.

Definitely not a show to take your mother.....
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 23rd, 2018 at 8:41:37 AM permalink

I've seen it twice. The first time the 'gratuitous' foul language seemed integral to the show, but the second time I saw it the language did seem gratuitous! If you are not offended by such, I agree, it is the best show I have seen in Vegas.
The only Cirque show I have seen that I would not give an "A" to is Zumanity.

And the Wynn for the prices you are getting will be worth it if Mrs. HelpmeSpock likes it there. I regretted saving a few bucks to stay at Caesars my last trip.
helpmespock
helpmespock
December 23rd, 2018 at 8:57:40 AM permalink

In my opinion Absinthe is the best show in Vegas. In my opinion Absinthe is the best show in Vegas.

Quote: FCBLComish

Definitely not a show to take your mother.....

Indeed if Mom's coming we won't be seeing that show. Absinthe is on our list, but I'd have to be in the right mood to see it. Ditto Mrs. Helpmespock.

As far as Cirque branded shows we've seen: Mystere, Beatles Love, and O. We've also seen: Matt Franco's magic show, Donnie and Marie, David Copperfield's magic show, Celine Dion, Elton John, Wayne Brady's improv/variety show, and last year we caught BAZ -- A Musical Mash-up.

O and David Copperfield are our favourite shows to date.

Quote: Ayecarumba

As for recommendations for other activities, it sounds like you have been to Las Vegas a number of times already. What are your, and Mrs. HMSpock's interests?

Have you been to a Top Golf facility? It's a glorified driving range, but fun with friends.

We have been to Las Vegas a number of times. I believe this will be our 15th trip coming up.

I love to play craps, but Mrs. Helpmespock doesn't like the standing around or when I make her roll because the table is cold. I can get her to play blackjack with me when the minimum is low -- say $5. We both play Jacks or better and other video poker games.

We like to hike and have done a couple now in Red Rock Canyon. Is Valley of Fire State Park worth a trip in March?

We've visited Hoover Dam a few times and even done a helicopter flyover of the dam that was a lot of fun. If Mom comes we'll be visiting here again.

We love the nice restaurants that populate Las Vegas. Marche Bacchus is and old favourite, but we've also done Raku, Cut, Lindo Michoacán, Tacos El Gordo, and last year we tried Rhythm Kitchen . We'll probably hit Rhythm Kitchen again to get me some of that Jambalaya.

I wouldn't mind checking out the Top Golf facility, but Mrs. Helpmespock hates golf so my lone round of 18 holes is about the limit of golfing for me.

--helpmespock
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
December 23rd, 2018 at 9:08:26 AM permalink
Quote: helpmespock

Indeed if Mom's coming we won't be seeing that show. Absinthe is on our list, but I'd have to be in the right mood to see it. Ditto Mrs. Helpmespock.

As far as Cirque branded shows we've seen: Mystere, Beatles Love, and O. We've also seen: Matt Franco's magic show, Donnie and Marie, David Copperfield's magic show, Celine Dion, Elton John, Wayne Brady's improv/variety show, and last year we caught BAZ -- A Musical Mash-up.

O and David Copperfield are our favourite shows to date.

We have been to Las Vegas a number of times. I believe this will be our 15th trip coming up.

Have you seen Penn and Teller?
helpmespock
helpmespock
December 23rd, 2018 at 9:08:58 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The only Cirque show I have seen that I would not give an "A" to is Zumanity.

Interesting. For letter grades, I'd actually give Mystere a B+, Love an A-, and O an A+.

Quote: SOOPOO

And the Wynn for the prices you are getting will be worth it if Mrs. HelpmeSpock likes it there. I regretted saving a few bucks to stay at Caesars my last trip.

Which section did you get a Caesars? We got a newer section -- I believe the Palace Tower -- on our first trip and really liked it. Our second trip we got an older tower -- I want to say the Forum Tower -- and it was like being transported back to the 70's. We got a huge room with a separate sleeping area with two double beds, an area with a living room/dining room, two bathrooms with shower/bath in each complete with the old infrared heat lamp, and a bar area. It was the biggest hotel room we've ever stayed in, but it was so old and dated that we decided to try somewhere else.

--helpmespock
helpmespock
helpmespock
December 23rd, 2018 at 6:20:55 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Have you seen Penn and Teller?

We have not. It's also on the list and I understand the show isn't super expensive. I understand Mac King's show is also good and not expensive. We'll get to both eventually. We've hopefully got quite a few more March Break trips to come so we've got to keep shows in reserve. 8-)

--helpmespock
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
December 23rd, 2018 at 6:31:45 PM permalink
Has something changed at DOLLAR? I always made a reservation marked down the # never paid till I picked up the car> could book another car and cancel the other at anytime no charge

Seemed during the week after midnight deals popped up online...never on the weekends
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
December 23rd, 2018 at 8:11:27 PM permalink
You should make a trip out to Reno/Tahoe sometime, but have to admit, you’re not going to get the entertainment/shows or the great dining like Vegas. But your dollar will travel much farther in Reno, not so much up in Tahoe. Renting a car at the airport is so easy here, rental counter is 25 ft behind the baggage carousel and the cars are parked right outside in the garage across the street. Never liked renting cars off site, taking a bus 10 minutes away. DFW, LAS, MCO to name a few PiA places to rent.
helpmespock
helpmespock
December 24th, 2018 at 6:07:45 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

Has something changed at DOLLAR? I always made a reservation marked down the # never paid till I picked up the car> could book another car and cancel the other at anytime no charge

Seemed during the week after midnight deals popped up online...never on the weekends

I got lazy and wanted to stop checking now that the hotel was locked in so I used the pre-pay option to get the price down to $40/day. It would have been $45/day otherwise and I would have needed to keep checking back.

--helpmespock
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 24th, 2018 at 6:12:57 AM permalink

I got lazy and wanted to stop checking now that the hotel was locked in so I used the pre-pay option to get the price down to $40/day. It would have been $45/day otherwise and I would have needed to keep checking back.

--helpmespock

If you haven't used it, look at Autoslash.com. They continually monitor specials, deals, and coupons and apply them to your reservation. I have had very good luck with them over the last few years.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
helpmespock
helpmespock
December 24th, 2018 at 6:14:52 AM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

You should make a trip out to Reno/Tahoe sometime, but have to admit, you’re not going to get the entertainment/shows or the great dining like Vegas. But your dollar will travel much farther in Reno, not so much up in Tahoe. Renting a car at the airport is so easy here, rental counter is 25 ft behind the baggage carousel and the cars are parked right outside in the garage across the street. Never liked renting cars off site, taking a bus 10 minutes away. DFW, LAS, MCO to name a few PiA places to rent.

We've thought about Reno, but as you say it doesn't seem to be on the scale of Las Vegas. I'm the gambler and my wife only gambles a little so while Reno may be great for me it would be less so for her.

I've never minded the shuttle bus over to the car rental centre. What bugs me the most about renting cars is the wait at the counter and the attempted upsell. Thanks to Coilman I use Dollar Express now and avoid that mess.

--helpmespock
helpmespock
helpmespock
December 24th, 2018 at 6:28:45 AM permalink

If you haven't used it, look at Autoslash.com. They continually monitor specials, deals, and coupons and apply them to your reservation. I have had very good luck with them over the last few years.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 24th, 2018 at 7:19:17 AM permalink

Interesting. For letter grades, I'd actually give Mystere a B+, Love an A-, and O an A+.

Which section did you get a Caesars? We got a newer section -- I believe the Palace Tower -- on our first trip and really liked it. Our second trip we got an older tower -- I want to say the Forum Tower -- and it was like being transported back to the 70's. We got a huge room with a separate sleeping area with two double beds, an area with a living room/dining room, two bathrooms with shower/bath in each complete with the old infrared heat lamp, and a bar area. It was the biggest hotel room we've ever stayed in, but it was so old and dated that we decided to try somewhere else.

--helpmespock

I've stayed in both the new and old tower at Caesars the past two trips. Caesars amazingly did not have an outdoor hot tub, and only had one heated pool and it was the one with the swim up bar so fiance's daughter who was 16 was not allowed in. I had no problem with the room either time, I guess I just don't like the feel at Caesars. I personally prefer the Rio but my girl doesn't....
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 24th, 2018 at 7:50:21 AM permalink

.... Is Valley of Fire State Park worth a trip in March?...

Yes! In fact that may be the best time to go before it heats up in the summer.

Have a great time, and be sure to write up a trip report!
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
helpmespock
helpmespock
December 27th, 2018 at 7:31:36 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Yes! In fact that may be the best time to go before it heats up in the summer.

Have a great time, and be sure to write up a trip report!

Thanks! I'll talk to Mrs. Helpmespock and see if she wants to do a hike there instead of Red Rock Canyon.

I will write up a trip report too, but depending on how busy we get after coming back it could take a while to get it posted.

--helpmespock
  • Jump to: