7 votes (53.84%)
1 vote (7.69%)
1 vote (7.69%)

13 members have voted

Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 25
September 8th, 2017 at 4:07:34 PM permalink
There is some minor discrimination involved in the wage gap. Of course, it never takes things like alimony into consideration. Many women who take time off to have and raise kids are compensated that way. And if they don't get a divorce, or even if they do, guess what...

THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO WORK FOR SEVERAL YEARS!

This stuff gets so nutty.

Plus, women get more tips. There are also a lot of women's jobs that, while lower paying than engineer, pay very well for educational level and difficulty of work. Cocktail waitresses do great. Bartender. Hair stylist, estitician (?) Working at Sephora or a high end clothing store. Etc etc.

The comparable men's jobs are way crappier. Roofer, plumber, etc
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
September 8th, 2017 at 5:32:45 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I think it's a myth as well. But if its true, women get enough free drinks to make up for it.

They can also work some lucrative jobs as well that I'm not able to like the street and pole. I know some girls that get 200 dollars just to show up to your hotel door... that's just to the door!! Every time I ever had an Asian Massage they seemed to make good hourly rate. I know every decent looking woman who was a bartender or dealer beside me always made more tips. Besides, wasn't it really bad for women say up to 100 years ago? I thought they fought for this equal rights and working jobs thing and won so they don't have to make dinner and babies?

Although I am clearly a chauvinist pig at heart I think I am just stirring the pot here having fun.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 49
September 8th, 2017 at 6:32:45 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

There are major causes for the wage gap...

Many thanx for your effort to add substance to the discussion.

I happened across this story about Google, which claims to be posted only 3 hours ago:

Quote: Headline:

Google calls The New York Times' report that female Google employees make less than men 'extremely flawed'

Brief summary:
  • First, New York Times issued a report Friday that showed a gender pay gap within the company based on data compiled by employees in a shared internal spreadsheet
  • Then, Google pushed back, saying the spreadsheet only contained salary information for about 1,200 US Google employees, or 2% of the company, an extremely small sample size (among other problems Google has with the Times report).
  • Except, when the US Department of Labor accused Google of underpaying women last April, Google said it couldn't provide more data to disprove the accusation because it'd cost $100,000 and 500 hours of labor. (By my estimate, that's about 4 people working about 3 weeks to document Google's fair compensation of 60,000 employees. Gimmie a break, Google!)
  • My Take: Really? Google cannot google its own payroll and personnel data systems for employee salary data? I'm starting to think the Times may be onto something here.

Since it seemed timely, and IMHO makes Google look mighty two-faced about this issue, I thought I'd share.

Hmmm... Google might be a rascal if...
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
September 8th, 2017 at 7:24:11 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Many thanx for your effort to add substance to the discussion.

I happened across this story about Google, which claims to be posted only 3 hours ago:

Really? Google cannot google its own payroll and personnel data systems for employee salary data? I'm starting to think the Times may be onto something here. Since it seemed timely, and IMHO makes Google look mighty two-faced about this issue, I thought I'd share.

Hmmm... Google might be a rascal if...

Gee whiz, if Google was using a major payroll system (like the one I am quite familiar with) they could execute something like this...

SELECT AVG(A.PAY_RATE), B.GENDER, C.JOB_CODE FROM COMPENSATION A, PERSONAL_DATA B, JOB C WHERE A.EMPLID = C.EMPLID AND A.JOB_CODE = C.JOB_CODE AND A.EMPL_RCD = C.EMPL_RCD AND A.EMPLID = B.EMPLID GROUP BY B.GENDER, C.JOB_CODE;

That took me 2 minutes to come up with. I am sure that with another hour's effort I could finish this for them. Yes, I know it does not include age, and seniority but all of this is sitting in the tables mentioned. And I need to add some date criteria too.

So I call bull crap on Google and any large company who claims that they cannot come up with the data.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 49
September 8th, 2017 at 7:54:28 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I suppose that the majority of prison inmates being black is due to racism as well? Or maybe is just that they aren't smart enough to get away with their crimes.

And, perhaps the large majority of Miami area hurricane shelters are in neighborhoods of rich white residents only because of geography, and not racism. Here's the story:

Quote: Headline:

Florida Accused Of Limiting South Miami Shelters To Wealthy, White Neighborhoods

According to the Coalition for Racial Justice, local and state governments in Florida ignored neighborhoods inhabited predominantly by lower income people of color in providing shelters for Hurricane Irma evacuees. A local who previously worked on projects with the Coalition, summed up the situation this way:

Quote:

We’ve had shelters open in our communities in the past, but not this time. We don’t have anywhere else to go. Historically, the communities that suffer the most went for weeks without electricity. We had water up to our doors, we expected alligators in those waters, and the National Guard wouldn’t even enter those areas during prior hurricanes like Andrew and Katrina.

Maybe some Miami residents just aren't smart enough to live in better-off neighborhoods that get their needs met first, just like they aren't smart enough to avoid prison. Or, maybe it's racism. To me, it sounds like a death sentence to be unprotected in Miami with this hurricane fast approaching.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
September 8th, 2017 at 8:04:11 PM permalink
To me, it IS 100% STUPID to live in any area that's prone to natural disasters.

#NOSYMPATHY
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 43
September 8th, 2017 at 8:25:07 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

To me, it IS 100% STUPID to live in any area that's prone to natural disasters.

#NOSYMPATHY

I still have sympathy but holy hell is the North East Coast a great place to live. As long as you aren't directly on the coast, there's literally 0 worries of hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, droughts, or any other crap I don't have time for.

The worst thing that happens is the occasional freakish snowstorm that throws down 4ft overnight, but all I do then is go back to sleep.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
Thanks for this post from:
LuckyPhow
September 8th, 2017 at 9:24:02 PM permalink
And there's this lawsuit, news from Bloomberg Bloomberg -
How America's top law firms get away with paying women less
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
September 9th, 2017 at 9:57:44 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

... holy hell is the North East Coast a great place to live. As long as you aren't directly on the coast, there's literally 0 worries of hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, droughts, or any other crap I don't have time for. The worst thing that happens is the occasional freakish snowstorm that throws down 4ft overnight, but all I do then is go back to sleep.

I once thought that, as I was born and raised in NJ.

But then I actually started to travel, see the country, and my opinion quickly changed.

NJ and surrounding environs SUCKS compares to many other places; summer humidity can be brutal, people are pretty much wall to wall, traffic is bad, and taxes are punitive.

I recall when we lived in south Jersey both of my parents worked in Philadelphia; they paid NJ income tax, Pennsylvania income tax, Philadelphia city income tax, and of course the IRS got their share.

The land is mostly flat, boring, and covered with buildings and roads.

I traveled across this fair land, and found three places I'd consider living in for the duration: outside of Boulder, Colo.; Taos, NM; and Portland, Oregon.

I learned to put up with a volcano, as well as wild fires: so long as my 'hood is safe, the more the merrier (keeps things interesting).

Then again, in the immortal words of Buckaroo Banzai, "No matter where you go, there you are."
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 154
September 9th, 2017 at 10:24:31 AM permalink
I'm in Nevada a bit over a year. Three things I don't miss about NY are humidity, winters and the flatness.
When I look out on my patio and see the mountains, I'm still awed.

• Jump to: