docsjs
docsjs
  • Threads: 22
July 16th, 2014 at 8:08:38 PM permalink
Coming to LV next week. Are there any reasonably priced seafood restaurants that can be reccommended? no buffets please
strictlyAP
strictlyAP
  • Threads: 116
July 16th, 2014 at 8:59:23 PM permalink
what are you looking to spend- by reasonable?
The bet will not be paid- not now not ever
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
July 16th, 2014 at 9:21:30 PM permalink
Quote: docsjs

Coming to LV next week. Are there any reasonably priced seafood restaurants that can be reccommended? no buffets please

Not good ones (not on the strip, anyway). RM seafood in Mandalay Bay is reasonably priced but it's terrible.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
July 17th, 2014 at 4:42:49 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Not good ones (not on the strip, anyway). RM seafood in Mandalay Bay is reasonably priced but it's terrible.

I love seafood but generally only go to places near the water. Tampa, Clearwater and St Pete yes. I figure better chance of fresh. Orlando, no.
Its generally illegal but a lot of non commercial fisherman sell their fresh catch to a restaurant.
Vegas being landlocked, I don't look for a seafood place.
When it comes to good seafood, freshness is the key.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 17th, 2014 at 6:12:09 AM permalink
Come up to New England!
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
July 17th, 2014 at 6:15:33 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Come up to New England!

Yep, chowda!
chefphydeaux
chefphydeaux
  • Threads: 1
July 17th, 2014 at 8:01:27 AM permalink
Location for freshness is vastly over rated. Tampa/ St. Pete? yea great you will get some great fish, but limited. Oh you wanted a Chinook Salmon? not local, but I bet that Marlin or Grouper is still dripping with Gulf Water.
Boston? yea the lobster has gotta be out of the world. But the Dover Sole is a day or 2 old.

The higher end the restaurant, the fresher it will be. I ran a place for 3 years where all my fish was shipped overnight by DHL from west coast to Ohio. Many times my stuff was less than 24 hours out of the the ocean by the time I got it, mainly because thats what I ordered, what was fresh coming in on the boats. The fish I need from the east coast was overnight-ed from the east, and very fresh as well.

The world is flat and small now. Things that were a bitch to deal with even 25 years ago are so much simpler today. Still that McFish from McDs or the Frisches fish sandwich are months old in the freezer, and who knows about the product of some chains.

The high end joints in Vegas or anywhere else are getting top line product, landlocked or not
docsjs
docsjs
  • Threads: 22
July 17th, 2014 at 8:09:09 AM permalink
Up to $50 pp
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 17th, 2014 at 8:41:50 AM permalink
I like to eat at Joe's Seafood and Prime Steak in the Forum shops mall. It is not cheap the the quality and service is very good.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Scooter77
Scooter77
  • Threads: 3
July 17th, 2014 at 9:14:42 AM permalink
I was treated to dinner at the Wynn Encore's Italian seafood restaurant last fall.
It wasn't cheap, but they fly in the fresh seafood (sourced from local fisherman) from all around the Italian coast.
Very impressive.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
July 17th, 2014 at 10:46:08 AM permalink
Quote: chefphydeaux

Location for freshness is vastly over rated. Tampa/ St. Pete? yea great you will get some great fish, but limited. Oh you wanted a Chinook Salmon? not local, but I bet that Marlin or Grouper is still dripping with Gulf Water.
Boston? yea the lobster has gotta be out of the world. But the Dover Sole is a day or 2 old.

The higher end the restaurant, the fresher it will be. I ran a place for 3 years where all my fish was shipped overnight by DHL from west coast to Ohio. Many times my stuff was less than 24 hours out of the the ocean by the time I got it, mainly because thats what I ordered, what was fresh coming in on the boats. The fish I need from the east coast was overnight-ed from the east, and very fresh as well.

The world is flat and small now. Things that were a bitch to deal with even 25 years ago are so much simpler today. Still that McFish from McDs or the Frisches fish sandwich are months old in the freezer, and who knows about the product of some chains.

The high end joints in Vegas or anywhere else are getting top line product, landlocked or not

I do find that the seafood at good restaurants in San Francisco (where I live) is better than the seafood at good restaurants in Vegas. This is why I rarely get seafood in Vegas. It may have more to do with the "food culture" of a city than the location, though. The steaks in SF are not great, so I always try to go to one of the good steakhouses when I'm in Vegas.

Also, for some seafood, isn't 24 hours a significant delay? I'm thinking specifically of something like uni.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
July 17th, 2014 at 2:34:16 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I do find that the seafood at good restaurants in San Francisco (where I live) is better than the seafood at good restaurants in Vegas. This is why I rarely get seafood in Vegas. It may have more to do with the "food culture" of a city than the location, though. The steaks in SF are not great, so I always try to go to one of the good steakhouses when I'm in Vegas.

Also, for some seafood, isn't 24 hours a significant delay? I'm thinking specifically of something like uni.

The real problem is the fish from commercial fishing boats isn't really that fresh. They go out for a week, put everything they catch on ice and return to dock after a week. Thats why non commercial fisherman are not allowed to sell to restaurants, would put commercial fisherman out of business due to the freshness issue. My mom is from Taiwan and fresh fish is huge for her. She actually never orders seafood at a restaurant, never buys at a super market, its just not fresh, even high end places, she cooks fish herself from friends that fish and catch but dont eat their catch. She loves it, real fresh fish, not the stuff in high end places. In her view, the eyeballs and smell tell the story, good fresh smell and clear eyeballs.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
July 17th, 2014 at 2:40:21 PM permalink
Deleted
  • Jump to: