Poll

7 votes (50%)
7 votes (50%)

14 members have voted

MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3634
December 15th, 2018 at 4:11:03 PM permalink
Vitaminwater will find a young 20 something with a 500 Facegram posts a day average to attempt the challenge. For anyone over 45 this would be a cakewalk.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 2537
December 15th, 2018 at 4:47:14 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I started reading Ted Kaczynski's manifesto some time back (it is available free as a Kindle book on Amazon). I didn't finish it, but found the ideas more intriguing than I would have thought.



The reason I had Ted on the brain is I just read this excellent article.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/the-unabomber-ted-kaczynski-new-generation-of-acolytes.html

It's about how a decent number of people now see him as a visionary. Partly because much of what he predicted is coming true.

Best article I've read in a while.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 160
  • Posts: 9198
December 15th, 2018 at 6:57:08 PM permalink
There's a book called "The Confession" written by a Russian who spent many years in a Gulag. The torture that finally broke him was being in a cell and having guards throw a bucket of ice cold water on him every time they saw him dozing off. All the other stuff they did, never did.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
EdCollins
EdCollins
Joined: Oct 21, 2011
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 1215
December 15th, 2018 at 8:12:46 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

There was a twilight zone episode about this. Guy bet he couldn’t talk for like 6 months.

I won’t spoil the ending.

The name of that episode is "The Silence" and it's one of my favorite episodes. You can Google it if you aren't familiar with it, don't plan on watching it, and thus don't mind being spoiled by the twist ending. For the record, the bet in that episode was the man wasn't allowed to talk for a full year.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9846
December 15th, 2018 at 8:18:48 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I would gladly do it for much less.



The bad part is the lie detector. I have a friend that did 5 years for a probation violation because he failed a lie detector. He got caught selling bootlegged DVDs. He got 3 years probation and had an order to not touch the internet. He claims to me that he never used the internet but he did use the self check outs at grocery stores which uses internet to complete the transaction. He would also call me to Google things when he had a question. I guess his brain considered those using the internet and he failed the lie detector.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 160
  • Posts: 9198
December 15th, 2018 at 8:37:27 PM permalink
If someone from here were to do the challenge I'd let them use a limited internet. They can only read articles on how to make money from baccarat and craps. They can only watch the same slot channel where the person claims to make money. They can only read posts from the real wood kitchen guy, to buy cheap kitchen furniture. And they can watch endless runs of dice influencing videos. Also, you will be a allowed a pistol and one bullet.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14083
December 15th, 2018 at 9:26:19 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If someone from here were to do the challenge I'd let them use a limited internet. They can only read articles on how to make money from baccarat and craps. They can only watch the same slot channel where the person claims to make money. They can only read posts from the real wood kitchen guy, to buy cheap kitchen furniture. And they can watch endless runs of dice influencing videos. Also, you will be a allowed a pistol and one bullet.



It would get used. Arggh.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
djatc
djatc
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4477
December 15th, 2018 at 9:40:05 PM permalink
if you can't use a light, I was thinking having a stereo with podcasts and music loaded up might do it

you could load it with long ass history podcasts and learn stuff, as well as audiobooks.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3634
December 16th, 2018 at 12:07:26 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If someone from here were to do the challenge I'd let them use a limited internet. They can only read articles on how to make money from baccarat and craps. They can only watch the same slot channel where the person claims to make money. They can only read posts from the real wood kitchen guy, to buy cheap kitchen furniture. And they can watch endless runs of dice influencing videos. Also, you will be a allowed a pistol and one bullet.



What about lottery picks? Because without those it's all worthless.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1274
  • Posts: 20960
December 16th, 2018 at 1:22:50 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

The name of that episode is "The Silence" and it's one of my favorite episodes. You can Google it if you aren't familiar with it, don't plan on watching it, and thus don't mind being spoiled by the twist ending. For the record, the bet in that episode was the man wasn't allowed to talk for a full year.



When I was a kid I watched part of a movie that I thought was titled The Silence about, as I recall, somebody in a military school, probably college, and he didn't put down his pencil in time when time ran out on a written test. So, he was punished in that everybody else had to give him the silent treatment. I've always wanted to finish watching it, but I don't think I have the title correct. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

  • Jump to: