7 votes (50%)
7 votes (50%)

14 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 144
December 14th, 2018 at 4:20:09 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Supposedly, there was 24/7 video surveillance. I don't know how food and water were brought in without lights nor human contact.

Very easy. You have a locked door. Then you have a second door a few feet inside it. At uneven intervals, you leave food and water in between the two doors. X amount of hours( again randomly) after you close the first door, the second door unlocks. Once the second door locks after you get your food and retreat back, the timer for the next random delivery starts. The trick is to space meals out very closely so after 90 meals the guy thinks he is almost done but he's only a third of the way in. Deprived of light and companionship, it is supposed to be very easy to manipulate ones idea of time. Start by serving distinctly different meals for breakfast ,lunch and dinner, but after three cycles, begin feeding only one type of meal for the next few cycles.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 43
December 14th, 2018 at 4:43:41 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Supposedly, there was 24/7 video surveillance.

This whole premise is particularly disturbing. There is no way the person taking the challenge wouldnít .... service themselves ..... while being in solitude with nothing else to do for 30 days
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 21
December 14th, 2018 at 5:41:47 PM permalink
Heh. Now there's a bet. Call it the Seinfeld side wager.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
December 14th, 2018 at 10:31:20 PM permalink
I would have a good shot at this, the no human contact no question, the no
light might wear me down but I think I can make thirty days.
michael99000
michael99000 
  • Threads: 9
December 14th, 2018 at 11:33:08 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

I would have a good shot at this, the no human contact no question, the no
light might wear me down but I think I can make thirty days.

The no light pitch black aspect is probably the most underestimated obstacle going into this challenge.

You can sleep 8-10 hours. Maybe spend an hour a day doing basic exercises , sit ups push ups. That leaves 16 hours x 30 days = 480 hours just staring into darkness.

If it was just a challenge where you get 100k for doing it and succeeding, thatís one thing. You start to go a little nutty, you just walk out with nothing lost... But since itís a bet , I do wonder if the 100k you stand to lose by walking out early would cause someone to stay in longer than they should when their mental health is breaking down to a dangerous point
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 21
December 15th, 2018 at 12:53:49 AM permalink
Blind people don't go mad because they can't see. And there are jobs where you might not see another living soul for months. Admittedly the wager is not for everyone (note the 50/50 split in the poll), but you can sing to pass the time, recite poetry, devise a game to play in the dark or maybe just contemplate what you'll do with that 100 grand down to the last penny.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 59
December 15th, 2018 at 2:55:25 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Blind people don't go mad because they can't see. And there are jobs where you might not see another living soul for months. Admittedly the wager is not for everyone (note the 50/50 split in the poll), but you can sing to pass the time, recite poetry, devise a game to play in the dark or maybe just contemplate what you'll do with that 100 grand down to the last penny.

That's an easy way to drive yourself crazy.

I wonder if you could go in with night vision goggles, since it's probably pretty tough to keep 100% of light out of the bathroom.

I think a big part of it would be a lack of intellectual stimulation. If you could at least do something to keep your brain working, other than thinking or talking to yourself, it'd make it significantly not as difficult.
нет сговор. нет непроходимость. полный освобождение от ответственности.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 23
December 15th, 2018 at 6:16:53 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Yeah, the TZ episode was inspired by a short story called "The Bet" which had a more profound ending. In that version the bet was several years long. The young man who wanted money was placed in a small, unlocked room (if he left he lost) and was allowed no human contact. It was a monastic prisoner's set up. Food was delivered via a slot at the base of the door. He had heat and light, a bed, a chair and a table. The only pleasure he was allowed was reading so he was provided pen and paper to ask for the books he wanted via the door slot.

At first he asked for frivolous titles. Then he asked for greater literature. As the months turned to years he moved on to history, the sciences et cetra and finally religion and the works of the great philosophers.

Meanwhile, the finances of the rich man who bet against him had taken a turn for the worse. Paying off the bet would ruin him. So it was with heavy heart and despair that he went to open cell door on the morning that the bet was concluded...

The rich man found the door open and the cell empty. The poor man had left during the night, mere hours before he was to collect his winnings! On the table was a note thanking the rich man for a fulfilling education but as he now found the pursuit of money to be a petty and unworthy goal he was forfeiting the wager.

This is an extreme case. It's interesting to think about though.

What if you were locked in a comfortable room with nothing but exercise equipment, a library of high quality books and whole foods for a year?

Setting aside complications like having kids you don't see, I think a lot of us would emerge much happier. Maybe you could even get people to pay for something like this.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 66
Thanks for this post from:
Forageronenickelmiracle
December 15th, 2018 at 6:29:27 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I think a big part of it would be a lack of intellectual stimulation. If you could at least do something to keep your brain working, other than thinking or talking to yourself, it'd make it significantly not as difficult.

I would spend my day devising new methods to pick lottery numbers so that I could match Nathan's success.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 119
December 15th, 2018 at 6:42:00 AM permalink
I could make it 3 days

• Jump to: