duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
January 21st, 2012 at 7:40:49 PM permalink
Well CBS has apparently screwed the pooch on this one, reporting that Joe Paterno has died when apparently he has not passed yet. Despite this terrible reporting, it doesn't look good for JoePa. Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other about Paterno? I can see both sides of the argument, whereas on the one hand he was a coaching legend but is this overshadowed by the sex scandal? Many of the Penn State faithful are taking Paterno's side and distancing Paterno from Sandusky, but as a part of the coaching staff, and especially as the head football coach, I think he has to take a portion of the blame.

Now if his condition is as serious as everyone is reporting it to be, the world may never understand Paterno's role in keeping the scandal quiet. The victims are obviously priority #1, but from my perspective it is sad to see such a massive fall from grace for anyone.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 21st, 2012 at 8:57:54 PM permalink
"Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." Mark Twain
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 21st, 2012 at 11:46:44 PM permalink
Quote: duckmankilla

The victims are obviously priority #1.

That is rarely the case. Usually crisis managers are hired, PR agents, lawyers, risk management experts, insurance adjusters, etc. Victims are rarely of any priority and this applies to just about any situation.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
January 22nd, 2012 at 6:21:58 AM permalink
Quote: duckmankilla

Well CBS has apparently screwed the pooch on this one, reporting that Joe Paterno has died when apparently he has not passed yet. Despite this terrible reporting, it doesn't look good for JoePa. Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other about Paterno? I can see both sides of the argument, whereas on the one hand he was a coaching legend but is this overshadowed by the sex scandal? Many of the Penn State faithful are taking Paterno's side and distancing Paterno from Sandusky, but as a part of the coaching staff, and especially as the head football coach, I think he has to take a portion of the blame.

Now if his condition is as serious as everyone is reporting it to be, the world may never understand Paterno's role in keeping the scandal quiet. The victims are obviously priority #1, but from my perspective it is sad to see such a massive fall from grace for anyone.

My father is a huge college football fan. There were only three teams he ever rooted against: Iowa State (Iowa grad), Nebraska and Penn State. The reason he hated Penn State was Joe Paterno. For reasons I won't get into here, it had something to do with Paterno and Reagan being friends, and my father, a staunch Democrat, despises Reagan. I guess that's a good enough reason to hate a team (???).

Anyways, I am also a college football fan, but don't hate Paterno. I actually have a bit of respect for what he did there, although frankly he was past his coaching prime about 15 years ago. Yes, he's fielded some good teams every few years, but Penn State should be a national contender every year, and Paterno, IMO, held them back, simply by being past it in every way.

As far as his role in the scandal, I believe he didn't know more than anybody else. One of his problems with his age is that he was raised in a time where you don't talk about awkward things; you simply brush them under the table and ignore them. I believe he did everything he LEGALLY had to do, and from that standpoint, he would not be culpable. However, there was more he could have done, but in his mind, he probably didn't feel comfortable doing so. I don't think that makes it right, but again, that's the problem when you're raised in a different era. Furthermore, I don't even blame McQueery for not doing more either, as the culture of the head coach defines the program. Again, this is the problem with having a coach who may be out of touch.

I actually said something to my father about how when Paterno retired I gave him no more than six months to live. Think about all the people who worked into old age... Charles Schultz died the day his last Peanuts cartoon ran. Once your routine changes, and you have nothing to live for anymore, it's tough to see a reason to live. This is why Betty White has to continue acting until she's 200... otherwise, she'll keel over and die.

I wish the best for the Paterno family, and hopefully the Penn State program.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 22nd, 2012 at 6:31:57 AM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

My father is a huge college football fan. There were only three teams he ever rooted against: Iowa State (Iowa grad), Nebraska and Penn State. The reason he hated Penn State was Joe Paterno. For reasons I won't get into here, it had something to do with Paterno and Reagan being friends, and my father, a staunch Democrat, despises Reagan. I guess that's a good enough reason to hate a team (???).

I hate the Cowboys because of the "America's Team" nonsense and all the attention they were given because of it. Though that is a blessing because if they were not given that moniker the Steelers would have been given it and I and others would always have to explain we really liked the Steelers and not because they were "America's Team." Any reason is enough to hate a team.

Quote:

I actually said something to my father about how when Paterno retired I gave him no more than six months to live. Think about all the people who worked into old age... Charles Schultz died the day his last Peanuts cartoon ran. Once your routine changes, and you have nothing to live for anymore, it's tough to see a reason to live. This is why Betty White has to continue acting until she's 200... otherwise, she'll keel over and die.

I agree here 100%. I didn't think as tight as 6 months but surely less than a year or so. It is known that the mind can keep the body living a little longer. Look at how many more people seem to die just after say Christmas or another big thing than just a few days before. I think the guy deserves a place of honor since it is easy to look back and say what he should have done.

My sources said he was mostly a "coach emeritus" of sorts the last few with most daily coaching done by others to ease the inevitable transition.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
January 22nd, 2012 at 7:01:18 AM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

As far as his role in the scandal, I believe he didn't know more than anybody else. One of his problems with his age is that he was raised in a time where you don't talk about awkward things; you simply brush them under the table and ignore them.

I've heard this actual thing verbalized by people in his age bracket. There were a lot of awful things that just weren't handled the same way then that they are handled now. Things didn't get reported and people kept their dark secrets. It doesn't make it "right" but we all need to sometimes remind ourselves that what we instantly should report to authorities was at one point never spoken of.

For example, how many teen age girls went to live "with an aunt" when you were growing up? I doubt many do now as it is "okay" (and even celebrated in some places...) for teenagers to show up in school pregnant. Our society has changed (you have to decide whether for better or worse) and now things get handled differently than they did before.

No excuses...the situation was deplorable. He could have done more.

At the same time, he gave a lot back to the community, was loyal to one institution for life, and was more than just a football coach. In his final day(s), that is how I will think of him...
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
January 22nd, 2012 at 7:36:05 AM permalink
They are just reporting his ACTUAL death now.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
January 22nd, 2012 at 7:36:12 AM permalink
And it's official... Joe Paterno is dead at age 85. May he rest in peace, and his family be comforted.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
cclub79
cclub79
  • Threads: 35
January 22nd, 2012 at 7:40:21 AM permalink
My guess is CBS was right (someone at the hospital probably leaked), but some family hadn't arrived to SC yet so they asked them to pull it back...
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 22nd, 2012 at 7:59:55 AM permalink

A special remembrance to John P. Surma who fired Joe Paterno with a phone call.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 22nd, 2012 at 8:33:55 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Separated at birth? Comedic actor Don Lake:

A falling knife has no handle.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
January 22nd, 2012 at 9:07:31 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I won't say that the firing shouldn't have happened; it was a bad situation. That anyone could fire someone after all those years over the phone just shows their lack of intestinal fortitude. You let people go face-to-face, not by email, phone, tweet, or text message.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
January 22nd, 2012 at 6:52:22 PM permalink
It wasn't a "bad situation." Paterno didn't do enough and he should have followed through until Sandusky was behind bars. It's disgusting and Paterno could have kept additional boys from being raped.
I heart Crystal Math.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 22nd, 2012 at 8:09:58 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

That anyone could fire someone after all those years over the phone just shows their lack of intestinal fortitude. You let people go face-to-face, not by email, phone, tweet, or text message.

He worked for the university for 61 years, He gave gifts of about $4 million to the University over the course of his lifetime. Let's not forget that he was basically accused of not following up on something closely enough. Like he said, he thought that it was the wrong thing to throw his weight around. The correct course of action was to turn it over to higher authorities.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
February 12th, 2012 at 11:18:22 PM permalink
Surely you don't think there was a higher authority at Penn State than Papa Joe. Think a third string player would have been treated any differently ??
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
February 13th, 2012 at 4:35:45 AM permalink
A ten year old child was raped. Joe's response was pathetic.
I am happy he was fired by phone call.
Too bad he didn't get to find out by listening to the radio.
At least he wasn't raped.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
  • Jump to: