9 votes (17.64%)
32 votes (62.74%)
10 votes (19.6%)

51 members have voted

teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
November 14th, 2011 at 8:33:32 AM permalink
I was hanging out with my family this weekend and we were discussing travel plans. My parents prefer to vacation in Spanish-speaking countries, and often they take me, my brother, and/or my sister along. I mentioned before about 3 years ago we took a trip hiking in the Copper Canyon on the border between Sinaloa and Chihuahua states. This was before the whole media blitz about the violence in Mexico. In Creel, a town near the canyon, there was a gunfight one street away from the main tourist drag, and the next day there were visible bullet holes in the storefronts. A few days later we wandered the streets of Chihuahua City (including some non-touristed areas) without incident. Needless to say, we didn't feel terribly safe on the trip, but no one was hurt.

I was talking with my dad and I told him I had no compunctions about visiting again. I said I would even go to Ciudad Juarez without reservation. This shocked him. I just don't think American tourists have that much to worry about.

Colombia and Guatemala were also brought up as possible destinations. I think Colombia would be a great place to visit, and would go in a heartbeat even though there is a State Department warning about it. Guatemala has a homicide rate on par with some of the worst places in the U.S., like New Orleans. But does that mean we shouldn't go there? How much should we live in fear?

My dad says he is all about numbers and element of risk. He says why should he pay money to give himself even a 0.5% chance of being in danger. Is that the correct analysis, if we are going to base our decision completely on the "numbers?"
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 14th, 2011 at 8:57:22 AM permalink
Mex City's relatively tranquil these days. Common crime is down, and the drug gangs don't operate much here, neither does the army.

Besides, if you come here on a weekend I'd be glad to show you around.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
November 14th, 2011 at 9:27:44 AM permalink
Hanging out with a local is not exactly akin to wandering around as a tourist. If I ever lose my mind I might take you up on that.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 14th, 2011 at 9:44:18 AM permalink
Of course you should base your analysis against numbers and element of risk. But you can't generalize. There are some sections of Mexico which are absolutely tranquil. There are other sections where you might face that 5 in 1000 (or higher) odds of being in danger.

When I go on vacation, I want to feel safe, within reason. Of course I'm not going to stroll the streets of East Van at night, or drive my car through Compton, but I would feel much better in Santa Monica or in West Vancouver.

Mexico is the same way.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 14th, 2011 at 9:57:07 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
cardshark
cardshark
  • Threads: 9
November 14th, 2011 at 10:04:32 AM permalink
About 50% of Canadians (I imagine its about the same rate as for Americans as well) who travel to Mexico will experience gastrointestinal illness (usually traveller's diarrhea, but could be much worse). I've known people who've gone to Mexico, stayed and ate only in the resort and still got sick. I know a few people who went to Mexico and got so sick they needed to go to the hospital and get IV fluids for the dehydration that comes with the gastro issues.

That's really my number 1 reason not to go.

Here is a summary of the important reasons I will not be going to Mexico (unless things improve, of course):

1. Health issues (as mentioned above)
2. Crime related to the drug wars and crime targeted at tourists
3. Corruption of police and government officials so that if a crime is committed you have virtually no recourse. Also in this category are police officers who "shake you down" for money on illegitimate traffic stops
4. Corrupt justice system that has imprisoned tourists on unsound grounds for years in a system where you are presumed guilty and need to prove your innocence - but at the same time not being allowed to prove your innocence by denying you the right to make phone calls, etc. (4a - reluctance of the Canadian government to intervene in cases of Canadians being illegally detained in Mexico).
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 14th, 2011 at 10:38:51 AM permalink
Quote: cardshark

About 50% of Canadians (I imagine its about the same rate as for Americans as well) who travel to Mexico will experience gastrointestinal illness (usually traveller's diarrhea, but could be much worse). I've known people who've gone to Mexico, stayed and ate only in the resort and still got sick. I know a few people who went to Mexico and got so sick they needed to go to the hospital and get IV fluids for the dehydration that comes with the gastro issues.
That's really my number 1 reason not to go.

It can happen. You need to be very careful of fish at an inland location, and avoid any vegetables like lettuce that are exposed directly to the soil. Fruits and vegetables with a skin are OK. I hate to say I've gotten sick more often at nice places then I do eating on the street. I prefer well cooked meats like tasajo, which is similar to a jerky. Dehydration is sometimes related to food, but is often compounded by the sun and drinking. I've seen a lot of people need IV bottles in many places around the world where it is hot.

Tasajo dish

The police issues are very real. I would not drive to central Mexico again. The tolls and gas make the trip very expensive. The corrupt cops make it much more expensive than flying.

There is no real statistical danger about going to the resort cities like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo.

The violence in the border cities is not aimed at tourists. Unfortunately it is the Mexican citizens who are targeted. The danger from cross - fire is completely blown out of proportion.

Guadalajara seems very safe to me using normal big city wariness. Most of the tourist areas of Mexico City are not bad either.

While people often say that in Mexico you are presumed guilty and have to prove your inncocence, whereas it is the opposite in the USA. That really is a myth. However, Judges are subject to a Napoleonic code of justice, meaning laws are strictly codified, leaving them little room for judgment. There are no jury trials. In the majority of cases, there are also no oral arguments, meaning lawyers don't stand in front of a judge to plead their client's case. Judges usually never meet the accused. Everything is done via paperwork.

Quote: NY Times

According to a survey of 400 criminal cases in Mexico City carried out by National Center for State Courts, a U.S. nonprofit, in nine of 10 cases, suspects were found guilty without any scientific evidence like fingerprints or DNA. In more than six of every 10 cases, suspects were arrested within three hours of the crime, leaving little time for serious detective work, according to a study from CIDE, a top Mexican graduate school. Almost none were shown an arrest warrant, the study said. Mexican cops lack access to basic forensic equipment, and Mexico lacks a comprehensive national fingerprint database. Most police officers are judged on the number of arrests they make, not whether they arrest the right person. The same goes for prosecutors. "You want a good career? Accuse, Accuse, Accuse," one Mexico City prosecutor said.

I would go to Ciudad Juarez without hesitation to hang out in the central squares. But it is not one of the prettiest places to go. Go to Guanajato!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 14th, 2011 at 11:00:04 AM permalink
I once drove into Arizona for three minutes just to say I crossed the Tillman bridge. Does that count?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
teddys
teddys
November 14th, 2011 at 11:29:03 AM permalink
Believe it or not Cuernevaca was one of the places mentioned as a destination. I will put forth Guanajuato/Guadalajara as well. I would like to go to Central Mexico. Northern Mexico is a little bit boring, to be honest.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
November 14th, 2011 at 11:41:26 AM permalink
Mexico, no.
Puerto Rico and Costa Rica, yes.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Nareed
Nareed
November 14th, 2011 at 12:05:31 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Believe it or not Cuernevaca was one of the places mentioned as a destination.

To get to Cuernavaca you fly to Mex City and either rent a car or take the bus there. There are buses at the airport (nice ones). The ride's about one hour. There's not much to do there, though. People who own weekened homes there tend to lie by the pool all day as far as I know.

Quote:

I will put forth Guanajuato/Guadalajara as well. I would like to go to Central Mexico. Northern Mexico is a little bit boring, to be honest.

You'd want to fly to Guadalajara. I've no idea how long the drive or bus trip is from there to Guanajuato. Another alternative is to fly to Mex City and take the bus to Guanajuato, which takes about 5 hours. There is an airport near León, but I'm not clear where you can fly there from.
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 14th, 2011 at 3:56:54 PM permalink

Believe it or not Cuernevaca was one of the places mentioned as a destination. I will put forth Guanajuato/Guadalajara as well. I would like to go to Central Mexico. Northern Mexico is a little bit boring, to be honest.

Cuernevaca is surprisingly expensive. You are better off with the other two. But you don't have to make them both in one trip as they are about 200 miles apart.

Del Bajio airport has flights from

Aeroméxico Connect Chicago-O'Hare, Los Ángeles,
Continental Airlines Houston-Intercontinental, Los Angeles
American Eagle Dallas/Fort Worth
CanJet Seasonal: Montreal-Trudeau

From "Del Bajio Airport (BJX)" You can go to Guanajuato and San Miguel del Allende with side trips Dolores Hidalgo and Queretaro (see the movie Once Upon a Time in Mexico).

I would go to Guadalajara & Tequila with possible side trip to Puerto Vallarta area on a different trip.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
November 14th, 2011 at 5:10:29 PM permalink
Nope, not now.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Nareed
Nareed
November 14th, 2011 at 5:22:26 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

From "Del Bajio Airport (BJX)" You can go to Guanajuato and San Miguel del Allende with side trips Dolores Hidalgo and Queretaro (see the movie Once Upon a Time in Mexico).

Bajío is the name of the region where Guanajuato is located. The airport is near Leon, past Guanajuato the city, but that's quite near to Guanajuato. There's a lto top see there. From there to Queretaro ought to be less than a couple of hours driving.

The number of flights may be due to the industry in the area. Leon is an industrial town, and a suburb of Guanajuato, Silao, hosts a very large GM assembly plant. I've driven past it a number of times.
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 14th, 2011 at 9:20:32 PM permalink

Colombia and Guatemala were also brought up as possible destinations. I think Colombia would be a great place to visit, and would go in a heartbeat even though there is a State Department warning about it. Guatemala has a homicide rate on par with some of the worst places in the U.S., like New Orleans. But does that mean we shouldn't go there? How much should we live in fear?

I have visited Columbia as well, and there is a difference than in Mexico. Colombia is a lot more violent, and they do target Americans. I would think carefully about that trip. Why not go to Peru instead?
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
November 14th, 2011 at 10:32:00 PM permalink
As a tourist, I wouldn't go anywhere you can't have a fair trial or say anything you want as a citizen/tourist without retribution (Not counting "hate speech" kinds of laws, because that would restrict me from Canada, UK, France). This is entirely from my own viewpoint though. For example: I'd have no problem going to somewhere like Israel where there's a constant terrorism threat, but you wouldn't catch me dead in Russia or Saudi Arabia. It is of my belief I could not get a fair trial in Mexico, whether that is true or not doesn't really matter if we're talking strictly about tourism.

Pretty much all of Western Europe, Canada, Japan/Korea and Oceania would be fine. I'll go to other parts of the world if required, but why would I want to spend my time in countries like that when there's already enough diversity from the ones I listed? I'm admittedly kind of a snob when it comes to these things, my question when a family member is watching House Hunters International is always "Why?". Again, I just don't see spending my time and money in China or any Arab country - maybe I'll feel differently when I am more traveled.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 15th, 2011 at 3:46:56 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

As a tourist, I wouldn't go anywhere you can't have a fair trial or say anything you want as a citizen/tourist without retribution.

The USA permits the citizens of 36 nations to enter America without a Visa for visits of 90 days or less. In turn, all of these countries permit citizens of the USA to visit them without a visa. There are additional countries that permit American visitors to enter without a visa (like Israel). Canada and Mexico are covered differently than the rest of the world, and are not on the list.

You are basically limiting yourself to these countries. In addition to most of them being expensive, you are missing a big part of the world.

Australia
New Zealand
Singapore
Brunei
Japan
South Korea

Europe
Andorra
Austria
Belgium
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
the Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom

Note that visitors from the following four countries in the European Union are still required to have a Visa to visit the USA
Romania
Bulgaria
Cyprus
Poland
Nareed
Nareed
November 15th, 2011 at 6:59:46 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

As a tourist, I wouldn't go anywhere you can't have a fair trial

I have to ask: in any foreign trips you've taken, how many times have you stood trial?

Quote:

or say anything you want as a citizen/tourist without retribution

You can say whatever you want in Mexico, without drawing judicial notice from the authorities. Notice from somewhere else, though, is another matter.
teddys
teddys
November 15th, 2011 at 8:55:04 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

To get to Cuernavaca you fly to Mex City and either rent a car or take the bus there. There are buses at the airport (nice ones). The ride's about one hour. There's not much to do there, though. People who own weekened homes there tend to lie by the pool all day as far as I know.

You'd want to fly to Guadalajara. I've no idea how long the drive or bus trip is from there to Guanajuato. Another alternative is to fly to Mex City and take the bus to Guanajuato, which takes about 5 hours. There is an airport near León, but I'm not clear where you can fly there from.

I think the flying situation will be a big part of it. Last trip to fly into Los Mochis, my parents and brother had to take a Continental flight to Houston, and then an AeroMexico flight to Monterrey, Hermosillo, and finally Los Mochis, Sin. From what they told me it was hell (especially Monterrey Airport, where there was a lengthy delay). So I suspect any destination will have to be directly served from the U.S.

My sister and I took a pure AeroMexico routing ORD-MEX-Los Mochis, which was fine. The new part of Mex. City airport is very nice, so we didn't mind the connection.

Short bus rides would be fine, perhaps even preferred.
Nareed
Nareed
November 15th, 2011 at 9:21:06 AM permalink

I think the flying situation will be a big part of it.

It used to be all flights went through Mex City. That's not the case today, but it's still the best hub for connecting flights. Also keep in mind Mex City has a big airport with lots of shops and restaurants, while the other cities, even big ones like Monterrey, have smaller airports. Before passing security in Monterrey's A terminal, there is little enough to keep you occupied.

Quote:

Short bus rides would be fine, perhaps even preferred.

Ok. From Mex City to Queretaro you'd do about 2-3 hours by bus. I don't know if any depart from the airport, though. If you're going to Guanajauto, however, you'd be better off landing at the Bajio airport, which should be a 1.5 hour bus ride, if that, from Guanajuato. I can look up bus lines, but I think ETN goes there. I very much recommend it. The buses are positively luxurious.

Mex City to Guanajuato is about 350 kilometers, which I've been able to cover in under 4 hours by car. The bus should take 4.5 hours at elast, more likely 5, and no buses to Guanajuato depart from the Mex City airport. You'd have to take a cab to the North bus terminal first, braving city traffic all the way.
ahiromu
ahiromu
November 15th, 2011 at 1:25:08 PM permalink

I have to ask: in any foreign trips you've taken, how many times have you stood trial?

You can say whatever you want in Mexico, without drawing judicial notice from the authorities. Notice from somewhere else, though, is another matter.

Thankfully, I have never stood trial. I did get a warning ticket once in BC because I was fishing illegally and was using my lure "out of the package" (it had to do with single barbless rather than a treble barbed hook).

Yeah I've seen the bodies of people calling for action against the cartels with notes saying exactly who did it next to them. It's not like I'm going to call for public marches against them or anything, but I just wouldn't feel safe... anywhere down there except staying in a mega resort 24/7. If I were to do that, I'd rather go somewhere I did feel safe (most of those countries listed).

Lastly, so you guys don't have "hate speech" laws down there? Like how Michael Savage is banned from the UK, Brigitte Bardot has been fined numerous times in France and Canada also fines (the only situation I remember was a University president threatening Ann Coulter before she did a speech up there). I know there's a limit in the US too, but it's rarely enforced and only used against groups that call for bodily harm (and have actually followed through?) like the KKK did in some states. I'm not a lawyer, but I know there is some kind of limit.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 15th, 2011 at 1:42:43 PM permalink
Chile and Argentina are alternatives. Both countries have strong economies. My daughter sent back pictures from San Pedro te Atacama that are stunning.
A falling knife has no handle.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
November 16th, 2011 at 7:58:38 AM permalink

A better question would be about interacting with the police and other law enforcement agencies and how much that might cost (in all its meanings).
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 16th, 2011 at 9:14:15 AM permalink

Mex City to Guanajuato is about 350 kilometers, which I've been able to cover in under 4 hours by car. The bus should take 4.5 hours at elast, more likely 5, and no buses to Guanajuato depart from the Mex City airport. You'd have to take a cab to the North bus terminal first, braving city traffic all the way.

From the Mexico city airport bus terminal there are only two northern cities you can go to. The small town of San Juan del Rio, and the larger city of Querétaro (25 buses per day, 269 pesos per person one way, 140 miles one way).

From Querétaro bus station to San Miguel De Allende it is 66 miles, and it is 85 miles to Guanajuato. While a second class bus is the cheapest way to go this final distance, you can usually negotiate a taxi for 400 or 500 pesos.

Alternatives including flying to Bajio Airport (BJX) which I mentioned earlier. There are flights nonstop from several American cities. It is a very short taxi ride to Guanajuato (37 miles) , and you can take a shuttle to San Miguel (85 miles). You can pre-arrange the shuttle, but I get the feeling they meet all of the flights from the USA just in case.

Another alternative is to take a taxi from Mexico City airport to the bus terminal with the acronym TAPO (Terminal de Autobuses de Pasajeros de Oriente ). Write the aconym on a piece of paper or make sure you say autobus, so people know what you are saying. It is less than 2 miles from the Mexico City airport. From there you can get a bus to many places. If you have never been to a massive Mexico bus terminal, they can be intimidating. Think JFK without the electronic signs. Buses are a competitive business in Mexico, and the companies don't post everything. It's not like the USA where Greyhound controls almost everything and most bus terminals are a single room. TAPO probably has limited service to Guanajuato, and you may have to go to Terminal Central Norte for more frequent service. Generally I wouldn't recommend negotiating city bus terminals unless you have someone who can speak passable Spanish. I would make it a last choice.

TAPO bus terminal

Keep in mind that TAPO is only one of four major bus terminals in Mexico city.

Possibly one of the biggest cultural events in Mexico is during October in Guanajuato at the Festival Internacional Cervantino. I would have reservations if you are going during this time.
Nareed
Nareed
November 16th, 2011 at 12:25:31 PM permalink

From the Mexico city airport bus terminal there are only two northern cities you can go to. The small town of San Juan del Rio, and the larger city of Querétaro (25 buses per day, 269 pesos per person one way, 140 miles one way).

That's not so bad. Do you know what bus line it is?

Quote:

Another alternative is to take a taxi from Mexico City airport to the bus terminal with the acronym TAPO (Terminal de Autobuses de Pasajeros de Oriente ).

Not a good idea. Buses elaving from TAPO take the Mex-Puebla highway, or head towards Texcoco to go around the city before heading north. This easilya dds one hour to the trip. it might from the airport, too, at that.

The best way to leave Mex City to Queretaro and Guanajuato is by the Central de Norte, which you did note later. Getting there early in the morning is fast. Me, i take the highway a mile from my house and head towards Cuautitlan to the Mex-Queretaro highway. It's really fast.

Quote:

If you have never been to a massive Mexico bus terminal, they can be intimidating.

they can be intimidating if you've been there before, too... Another thing you should know is that there's scant signage, and none at all as to which bus you should take. It gets called on the PA, sometimes, but it's best to head out to the bus loading area and see which bus has your destination on its display, then ask the attendant if that one corresponds to your ticket. While you're at it, make sure they load your bags in the same bus.
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 17th, 2011 at 10:08:32 AM permalink

That's not so bad. Do you know what bus line it is?

It's a reasonable price to get out of the airport. At your destination you can rent a car, take another bus, or get within range of an affordable taxi.

From Mexico City Airport
Querétaro $ 269 Primera Plus
San Juan del Rio $168 Flecha Roja
Cuernavaca $150 Pullman
Pachuca $150 Estrella Blanca
Puebla $200 Estrella Roja
Toluca $135 Caminante
Córdoba $420 ADO
Orizaba $375 ADO
* Rates in Mexican pesos ( US$1 > MX$13 )

So for 3 people it's about US$20 per person for the bus ride to Queretero for 140 miles, and then probably $10-$15 per person to split a taxi to San Miguel. If the taxi runs his meter it will be even less.

Compare that to US$250 for a car (for up to 3 people) to come and pick you up and drive you to your hotel.
Transportation to San Miguel

If you want real budget
At Queretaro, you need to cross the street to the second class bus terminal and take either a Flecha Amarilla or Herradura de Plata bus to San Miguel de Allende. The Flecha Amarilla leaves for San Miguel every 40 minutes, and the Herradura de Plata runs every 30 minutes, 5:00 a.m. to 10:20 p.m. Travel time is 1 hour.

However, if you are on that kind of budget, you are much better off going to Guanajuato which doesn't have nearly as many foreigners as San Miguel de Allende.

Mexican colonial cities have beautiful little boutique hotels, frequently with fewer than 30 rooms.

teddys
teddys
November 17th, 2011 at 12:27:07 PM permalink

Why not go to Peru instead?

I've been! It's great. Would go again.
Nareed
Nareed
November 17th, 2011 at 1:42:14 PM permalink

From Mexico City Airport
Querétaro $ 269 Primera Plus

That's a reasonable rate and a good line. Not as good as ETN, though, as their seating is 4 accross rather than 3.

Quote:

Toluca $135 Caminante

And that literally is highway robbery. Caminante charges just $45 from the West terminal to Toluca.
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 17th, 2011 at 5:11:03 PM permalink

And that literally is highway robbery. Caminante charges just $45 from the West terminal to Toluca.

Yes, but the West Terminal is 10 miles across the city and a transfer ride on the subway. I always believed that businessmen don't ride the subway in Mexico city.
As airport transportation goes, an uptick from $45 to $135 seems reasonable to avoid negotiating city transportation.

Do you ride the subway?
Nareed
Nareed
November 17th, 2011 at 5:53:56 PM permalink

Yes, but the West Terminal is 10 miles across the city and a transfer ride on the subway.

The West terminal isn't so far from the airport. Given the overpriced airport taxis, though, it might cost you more than 100 pesos to make the trip there.

Quote:

I always believed that businessmen don't ride the subway in Mexico city.

I suppose that depends on your definition of businessman.

Quote:

As airport transportation goes, an uptick from $45 to $135 seems reasonable to avoid negotiating city transportation.

300+%? I'm certain you can get cheaper transportation from TAPO, which is a stone's throw away.

Quote:

Do you ride the subway?

Not habitually, but I've riden it from time to time. It's not unsafe at peak use times, but it's very crowded and hot down there. Most times it's pretty fast. And it's dirt cheap.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 19th, 2012 at 9:20:55 AM permalink

President Obama's Daughter Arrives in Oaxaca
Malia Ann Obama, daughter of U.S. President Barack Obama, arrived on a commercial flight to Oaxaca for a private tour on the evening of Friday March 16th. Surrounded by a security team, Malia Obama arrived at the headquarters of the commercial airport in the capital to join a group of twelve young teenagers from a United Airlines commercial airliner departed from Houston, Texas. Official information states that President Barack and First Lady Michelle Obama's oldest daughter, who is thirteen, has an escort of twenty-five agents composed of marines and members of the Secret Service. All will wear black suits and use radio communication. Private security escorted Malia Obama in three armored trucks to Hotel Camino Real, located in Oaxaca's Historic Central District. According to her leaked agenda, during the weekend Malia will visit the "El Arbol del Tule," the archaeological site of Monte Alban, and the towns of San Martin Tilcajete, the site of many local handicrafts, and San Bartolo Coyotepec, in addition to the main attractions in the city of Oaxaca.

Camino Real is 91 rooms in a 16th century convent, and is one of the most expensive hotels in the city. But there are many charming mini hotels in the city, that are less expensive. Non stops from the USA only consist of one regional jet from Houston per day which unfortunately leaves too early in the morning for most connections. Most people fly to Mexico City and change planes or switch to the bus. There are cheap flights from Tijuana Airport if you live within driving distance.

Oaxaca City was the center of riots in 2006. A new governor badly handled a teacher's strike which was a Spring ritual for over two decades.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
March 19th, 2012 at 9:26:27 AM permalink
Nueva Laredo Just to relive drunken days in the early 60's. One drunk one night I let my buddy drive. He must have been drunker than me. Kept turning right again and again to stay on ALTO street.
I imagine inflation there too. Used to pay a kid $1 to watch the car and $5 to the policia right off for trouble to come. And I bought a stuffed coyote for only $13.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 19th, 2012 at 11:09:12 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Kept turning right again and again to stay on ALTO street.

Every town has an ALTO de sarcástico street.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
March 19th, 2012 at 12:00:59 PM permalink
In the pre-screening to donate blood last week, some new and alarming questions about stays in Mexico cropped up. Visiting wide swaths of Mexico, including Cozumel, are grounds for deferral. Cancun, the blood bank said, is not yet.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 19th, 2012 at 12:26:00 PM permalink
I was deferred from donating blood for a year after a cruise ship I was on in 2007 stopped in Santa Cruz Huatulco. I think that's in Oaxaca. The claim by the Red Cross was that they considered the entire state a malaria risk area.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
March 19th, 2012 at 2:09:21 PM permalink
From the Isthmus of Tehuantepec south, concern for malaria, Chagas and especially dengue is understandable. Several areas in the Bajio and elsewhere were surprising.
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
March 19th, 2012 at 2:41:56 PM permalink
I imagine Cabo is pretty safe, but I think it is technically part of orange county, CA. Whats the scoop with Guadalajara... I have always wanted to go there. Is it caught up in the drug violence or is that mainly a border issue?
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
teddys
teddys
October 16th, 2013 at 6:03:10 PM permalink
This just in: Family is considering a trip to Tepoztlan, Morelos (near Cuernevaca) for a week around Christmas. The resort package includes cooking and language classes. It seems attractive, but it is expensive. Thoughts?

http://www.lavillabonita.com/2011/
oscar33
oscar33
  • Threads: 10
October 16th, 2013 at 7:25:48 PM permalink

I have visited Columbia as well, and there is a difference than in Mexico. Columbia is a lot more violent, and they do target Americans. I would think carefully about that trip. Why not go to Peru instead?

If you are going to criticize the country, at least spell it correctly please. Colombia is absolutely not more violent than Mexico. And I guarantee more Americans have had trouble in Mexico than in Colombia in recent times.

Colombia is a fantastic country. I would definitely recommend a visit.

Oscar
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 18th, 2013 at 2:15:38 PM permalink
Quote: oscar33

I have visited Columbia as well, and there is a difference than in Mexico. Columbia is a lot more violent, and they do target Americans. I would think carefully about that trip. Why not go to Peru instead?

If you are going to criticize the country, at least spell it correctly please. Colombia is absolutely not more violent than Mexico. And I guarantee more Americans have had trouble in Mexico than in Colombia in recent times.

Colombia is a fantastic country. I would definitely recommend a visit.

Oscar

That post was two years old, and I am sorry about misspelling the word. The word "Columbia" is so common in the USA that it is easy to go there without thinking.

I remember Medellín as a beautiful city with charming people when I went there in the 1970's. And for a long time it held the title of Murder Capital of the World. So I don't view my comment as criticism of the country. Most people have little or no control over the violent and powerful.

I admit to being heavily influenced by the Colombian film

A good friend had her uncle stationed in the Colombian embassy (of Canada) for many years, and they were very worried about their people. The cartels were targeting Americans and Canadians sometimes.

There are almost no organizations deliberately targeting people from the USA in Mexico. The threat of robbery is naturally augmented by the idea that foreigners have more money.

The violent crime rate in both Colombia and Russia has plummeted in recent years. The latest murder rates for a select group of countries is below.

91.6 Honduras
69.2 El Salvador
45.1 Venezuela
41.4 Belize
40.9 Jamaica
39.2 U.S. Virgin Islands
38.5 Guatemala
38.2 Saint Kitts and Nevis
35.2 Trinidad and Tobago
31.4 Colombia
27.4 Bahamas
26.2 Puerto Rico
25.2 Saint Lucia
25.0 Dominican Republic
23.7 Mexico
21.6 Panama
21.0 Brazil
18.2 Ecuador
12.6 Nicaragua
12.3 Bermuda
10.3 Peru
10.2 Russia
10.0 Costa Rica
4.7 United States
1.6 Canada
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
October 21st, 2013 at 5:19:53 PM permalink
Quote:

In the institutional sphere, it has been six months since official reports on drug trafficking and the wave of violence in the nation simply disappeared. The reason behind this is the editorial control exercised by the Secretariat of the Interior of Mexico (responsible for public safety in the nation), which does not permit the distribution of news about drug trafficking, assassinations or violence

Just stop reporting it? Eh, well that's one solution.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/in-mexico-violence-against-journalists.html
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 22nd, 2013 at 4:32:16 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Just stop reporting it? Eh, well that's one solution.

I don't think it is regarded as a solution, just self-protection.

I know the editor of Zeta Tijuana when asked if he would do it again if he knew how much he would lose, said "Of course not". He started young and idealistic, but then once people are killed he doesn't want to close the paper to make a mockery of their death. So you learn to live with bodyguards around you, and you fear for your family and friends.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
October 22nd, 2013 at 4:42:46 PM permalink
I'm thinking of going to Tijuana next month. Anybody want to join me?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
October 22nd, 2013 at 5:27:18 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Yes, but I don't have a passport, or time off work, or money. :+)
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 22nd, 2013 at 6:51:46 PM permalink
In general beer is inexpensive in Mexico, but always ask for the price of hard liquor and wine before being served. I have ordered a whisky that was more per shot than all the food and desert for two people, and I ordered a second shot and without asking the price.

article on Javier Plasencia, best known restaurateur in TJ His chain of restaurants are called Grupo Plascencia I've always enjoyed eating at Casa Plasencia. The upstairs is more casual.

A plate like this is usually $12-$15
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 22nd, 2013 at 7:00:28 PM permalink

I've always enjoyed eating at Casa Plasencia. The upstairs is more casual.

How about coming to TJ to join me!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 22nd, 2013 at 7:40:50 PM permalink

How about coming to TJ to join me!

I've been to TJ, it was sometime in 1993. Was in Los Angeles to see the Grateful Dead for a 3 nite stand. Afterwards had couple extra days before heading back home to the East Coast. Decided to drive the rental car down to TJ. Stopped at the border, parked and took the short bus ride over the border. I found the town somewhat depressing. Its really a town to get drunk in and I'm not a drinker. Stopped by some strip bars, they were a bit grungy but still had some fun. Did some shopping, bought a nice leather cowboy hat. The smell of the town was sadly like a sewer in some places. I finally got on the bus to go back and little Mexican 5 yr olds would walk the aisle trying to sell little boxes of chicklet candy gum. Kind of sad. Crossing back over was easy, bus gets the express lane , but still have to get off and back on for customs but it was pretty quick. I doubt if I'll ever go back. Just kind of did it on a whim.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 22nd, 2013 at 7:52:30 PM permalink

They still got that donkey show?
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 23rd, 2013 at 6:32:13 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

They still got that donkey show?

I heard those are an urban legend.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 23rd, 2013 at 7:44:09 AM permalink
It could be just a myth, but if so it is well-entrenched.

See this report
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: