Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
March 20th, 2011 at 9:39:50 AM permalink
Consider this a spin-off of the Nevada & Arizona Foreclosure Problem thread. I mentioned a foreclosure happening on Little House on the Prairie, which drew this response:

Quote: Wavy70

I live near Rose Wilder Lanes house. Laura Ingalls Daughter. Laura wrote many of the books there.
Never pictured you a LHOTP fan

Yes, I confess I am a BIG Little House on the Prairie fan. In my younger days I must have watched every episode several times. Although it has been 30 years since I watched it on a regular basis you would not want to mess with me when it comes to Little House trivia. To show I'm still a fan I watched an episode a couple days ago I was fortunate to catch on satellite TV from the condo I was staying at in Utah. It was the episode where Pa and Mary went to Chicago. Meanwhile, I've been reading through La Casa Del Bosque, which is the Spanish translation of Little House in the Big Woods. My recent trip to Panama has inspired me to improve my Spanish. I went to elementary school in Rossmoor, CA, which is where the twins who played Carrie lived. I have to also confess I had a fan crush on Melissa Gilbert.

Okay, there you have it. Let the teasing begin.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 20th, 2011 at 9:49:09 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I have to also confess I had a fan crush on Melissa Gilbert. Okay, there you have it. Let the teasing begin.

There are worse people to have a crush on.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
March 20th, 2011 at 10:10:20 AM permalink
Wiz, you are not alone in being a big fan of Little House. I am 43 and loved that show growing up as well. Great character building lessons and I rent if for my kids via Netflix now. What else are kids going to watch today with so many good life lessons in it. If I am channel surfing and come across a good episode of Little House, I will likely watch the end.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 20th, 2011 at 11:58:55 AM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Wiz, you are not alone in being a big fan of Little House. I am 43 and loved that show growing up as well. Great character building lessons and I rent if for my kids via Netflix now. What else are kids going to watch today with so many good life lessons in it.

I agree 100%! I tried reading the books to my oldest daughter when she was younger, but she didn't seem to like them, so we never got far with that. When my 4-year-old is a little older I think I'll try introducing her to the TV show. I have a Netflix subscription too. My 9-year-old son would probably think it is too corny and dated.

Quote: Paradigm

If I am channel surfing and come across a good episode of Little House, I will likely watch the end.

Me too, but I rarely catch it. I think the Hallmark Channel has it -- I should look into that.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 20th, 2011 at 1:39:36 PM permalink
My wife is a lil house nut too. I did see them all too as a kid. For real fanatics one day I saw a tour bus near the Rose Wilder House here in CT. I googled it and found a Lil House tour that started in Ohio the Inglass ancestral home then to upstate NY where Almanzo was born then culminating in CT at baby rose's house.

Interesting fact that Rose Wilder was an accomplished author and activist long before her mom was published.

Big crush here too as a kid. Laura and Erin Walton.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
PaulEWog
PaulEWog
  • Threads: 9
March 20th, 2011 at 3:27:35 PM permalink

Me too, but I rarely catch it. I think the Hallmark Channel has it -- I should look into that.

Little House upcoming episodes
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 20th, 2011 at 3:42:59 PM permalink
Quote: PaulEWog

Little House upcoming episodes

Thanks. Those latter episodes I generally don't care for as much, but at least now I know when the show is on. However, the one on 3/31 about the fire at the blind school I was very affected by when I watched it as a kid. I found it the most horrific thing I had ever seen. It also just goes to show that there is some kind of curse with that family to be born male.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 20th, 2011 at 4:10:35 PM permalink
I missed Little House. It was never on my viewing schedule as a child and wish it was. I had an older brother who had to watch White Shadow on Monday nights in the late 70s... my Dad also played hockey on Monday nights and we didn't get back usually until 9pm (just in time for MASH).

I guess a good gift for the Wizard would be some Little House DVDs.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 20th, 2011 at 6:38:10 PM permalink
Never saw a single ep of this show. In the 70's I missed all the shows. MASH, Happy Days, Rockford, Kung Fu, Archie Bunker, and all the rest. I was in my 20's and had a lot of night jobs and I lived in a bunch of different places. All the shows I missed I saw in reruns, but I never saw Little House anywhere. I remember when Mike Landon died, it was very sad. He was great on Bonanza. The Waltons was good, was Little House in that vein? I never see the Waltons anywhere now either.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 20th, 2011 at 6:58:00 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Never saw a single ep of this show. In the 70's I missed all the shows. MASH, Happy Days, Rockford, Kung Fu.....

Kung Fu!! I remember 'Cats Pajamas', that late night show that featured old kung fu movies. Pops would let me stay up til like 11p and watch it with him on Saturday nights. I was like 3yrs old. =) Ah, nostalgia.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 20th, 2011 at 7:03:48 PM permalink

Meanwhile, I've been reading through La Casa Del Bosque, which is the Spanish translation of Little House in the Big Woods. My recent trip to Panama has inspired me to improve my Spanish.

Reading's a great way to gain fluency in a foreign language, but translations may not the best way to go. unfortunately I can't recommend any good books in Spanish; I've never read any save what I got assigned at school (precious little SF in Spanish). TV and movies are good, too. Again, no recommendations. Aside from Football and news, I don't think I've watched any local TV for over 25 years.

Quote:

I have to also confess I had a fan crush on Melissa Gilbert.

I recall watching Little House late on Sundays. I can't say I recall an episode.

Melissa Gilbert, though, I know from Babylon 5. She played John Sheridan's wife. In real life they were married, too.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wavy70
Wavy70
March 20th, 2011 at 8:04:28 PM permalink

I never see the Waltons anywhere now either.

Same family wholesome story line however Lil House was late 1800's on the Plains and the Walton's were depression era Appalachia.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 20th, 2011 at 8:05:05 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Reading's a great way to gain fluency in a foreign language, but translations may not the best way to go. unfortunately I can't recommend any good books in Spanish; I've never read any save what I got assigned at school (precious little SF in Spanish). TV and movies are good, too. Again, no recommendations. Aside from Football and news, I don't think I've watched any local TV for over 25 years.

My struggle is motivation to do anything. Most methods of teaching foreign languages are terribly dry, repetitive, and boring. Not that I have any credentials as a linguist, but I believe in the school of thought that languages are more easily learned by immersion, the way children learn them. I made contact with a Spanish tutor here in Vegas. We'll see what happens with that.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 20th, 2011 at 8:25:19 PM permalink

but I believe in the school of thought that languages are more easily earned by immersion

Get a Spanish housekeeper, and you'll learn Spanish very quickly. I had to deal with Mexicans in my job when I lived in Santa Barbara and I learned a lot of the language in no time. If you're forced to speak it, learning isn't that hard. Ever think about the major languages of Europe? English, Spanish, German, Italian, Greek, and on and on? Think for how long a people has to be isolated before they come up with a language thats independent from all the countries around them. German is nothing like Italian, yet their countries share a common border. It shows us that when you were born in a certain village or town, you stayed there your whole life, and only traveled short distances of 5 or 10 miles in any direction. Not like there was any place to go, wolves owned Europe for thousands of years, staying home was the safe choice.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 20th, 2011 at 8:53:59 PM permalink

Get a Spanish housekeeper, and you'll learn Spanish very quickly.

Actually, I have one already. She comes over every Tuesday morning. However, she doesn't speak English well, and is not very eager to try to communicate with me in Spanish. It is hard to find any topic we both have an interest in.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 20th, 2011 at 9:02:26 PM permalink

However, she doesn't speak English well, and is not very eager to try to communicate with me in Spanish.

So even if you spoke Spanish, she would still be reticent about talking? Thats too bad, it takes two to Tango. (see what I did there? The Tango originated in a Spanish speaking country.)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 22nd, 2011 at 9:39:37 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I guess a good gift for the Wizard would be some Little House DVDs.

Put it on your wish list: LHOTP Complete Series.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 22nd, 2011 at 9:49:38 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Put it on your wish list: LHOTP Complete Series.

Maybe if I'm good Santa will give it to me.

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
March 22nd, 2011 at 10:24:06 AM permalink
I have found that over time, I have really grown to appreciate the performance of Katherine "Scottie" MacGregor. As the villaness, Mrs. Olsen, she consistently brought out both animosity and hope from the audience within the same episode.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 22nd, 2011 at 11:37:53 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I have found that over time, I have really grown to appreciate the performance of Katherine "Scottie" MacGregor. As the villaness, Mrs. Olsen, she consistently brought out both animosity and hope from the audience within the same episode.

I agree 100%. The actor who played Nells was also outstanding, in my opinion, and they played off each other well.

Katherine MacGregor lived in Santa Barbara and a friend of mine once saw her in a restaurant there. She went over to just say that she was a big fan of the show. My friend said that Katherine was super nice to her, thanking her for the compliment, and offered her an autograph. Totally the opposite of the character on the show.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 22nd, 2011 at 2:26:51 PM permalink
Try this LHP quiz. I got 12 out of 15, if you give me credit for number 10, in which I had a small misspelling.
PaulEWog
PaulEWog
  • Threads: 9
March 22nd, 2011 at 3:17:48 PM permalink
I got 7 out of 15, which actually isn't too bad considering I had never seen a full episode of the show until I watched one last night.
Nareed
Nareed
March 22nd, 2011 at 3:34:30 PM permalink

My struggle is motivation to do anything. Most methods of teaching foreign languages are terribly dry, repetitive, and boring. Not that I have any credentials as a linguist, but I believe in the school of thought that languages are more easily learned by immersion, the way children learn them. I made contact with a Spanish tutor here in Vegas. We'll see what happens with that.

I learned English with a great teacher. His most useful advice was: read and watch TV or movies in English. The second most sueful advice was: when you don't know the meaning of a word try to deduce it from the context; if you can't, then look for the definition in English.

So I guess I recommend you get a dictionary in Spanish, rather than an English-Spanish dictionary. Better yet find one online.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 22nd, 2011 at 3:55:58 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I learned English with a great teacher. His most useful advice was: read and watch TV or movies in English. The second most sueful advice was: when you don't know the meaning of a word try to deduce it from the context; if you can't, then look for the definition in English.

So I guess I recommend you get a dictionary in Spanish, rather than an English-Spanish dictionary. Better yet find one online.

Oh, I have plenty of English-Spanish dictionaries. I'm not quite to the point where I can follow Spanish TV. It still seems like everyone is talking way too fast and I can't make out much. However, I like to rent Spanish movies and try to learn something from the English subtitles. Speaking of which, I thought Y Tu Mamá También was one of the best movies I've ever seen.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
March 22nd, 2011 at 3:59:18 PM permalink

Try this LHP quiz. I got 12 out of 15, if you give me credit for number 10, in which I had a small misspelling.

That was hard. I missed 3, 10, and 15. I got the others by reading this thread (thx Wizard), deduction from my limited knowledge of the show, and pure luck. The ones I missed were the "real" names of the actors.
Nareed
Nareed
March 22nd, 2011 at 4:01:35 PM permalink

Oh, I have plenty of English-Spanish dictionaries.

I have a really big one from Random House (there's a joke in that name for this forum, I'm sure of it). But the point is to read the definition of a word you don't know in the language you're trying to learn.
Wavy70
Wavy70
March 22nd, 2011 at 4:16:40 PM permalink
I got 11 the lil woman 13.
  • Jump to: