TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 0
May 21st, 2019 at 8:43:34 AM permalink
The only way I see him losing is similar to how Ken Jennings lost. Goes into final Jeopardy with less than a 2x lead and for whatever reason or stroke of bad luck....he misses the final question and his opponent answers correctly.

I'll be shocked if someone accumulates more money in the Jeopardy and double Jeopardy round.

No question, he has changed the landscape on how to play this game for maximum return. Of course 2 things must be working....be sharp as a wit and quick on the buzzer. Wagering wise and the selection of the highest denomination questions first is a calculated, smart play.

He's playing the odds. Super majority of daily doubles are answered correctly. Why not make a calculated high wager bet early on after you have answered all $1,000 and $800 box questions? These games are generally close to over before they break for the first commercial.

Very, very smart and calculated play. Future players should take note even though this strategy has been employed before....but not on this level.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 29
May 21st, 2019 at 9:13:51 AM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

The only way I see him losing is...into final Jeopardy with less than a 2x lead and for whatever reason...

There was a game a while ago where someone gave him a close run for a while. His strategy might also come unstuck if he didn't catch some Daily Doubles and an opponent, late in the game with nothing to lose, went for it and doubled up. Another scenario might be if two Daily Doubles came in a row.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 21
May 21st, 2019 at 9:23:51 AM permalink
To this day nobody will convince me that Jennings didnít lose on purpose. I think he had had enough of jeopardy and didnít want to play anymore.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 21st, 2019 at 9:26:13 AM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

There was a game a while ago where someone gave him a close run for a while. His strategy might also come unstuck if he didn't catch some Daily Doubles and an opponent, late in the game with nothing to lose, went for it and doubled up. Another scenario might be if two Daily Doubles came in a row.

About 2 weeks ago. Opponent risked all of his money or a huge junk on a daily double. Hit it. He's the only guy I remember recently where it hasn't been a runaway.

A chip lead in poker gives you an edge over equal opponents. He's kind of playing this game the same way. Early lead gives him options the other players don't have.

Alex may respect this player big time...but he has also been on record as hating players who jump around with their selections. It's possible he has now realized how strong a play it can be for a player of James' caliber.

In any event...looks unstoppable.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 91
May 21st, 2019 at 9:27:00 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

To this day nobody will convince me that Jennings didnít lose on purpose. I think he had had enough of jeopardy and didnít want to play anymore.

I wonder if James will do the same at some point. Maybe not lose on purpose but on the final jeopardy go all in. If he gets it right which he does most of the time then he looks awesome. If he loses then owell he is done. Although I think if he does this it wouldn't be until he beat Jennings in wins. How much money would he have at that point? 6 mil?

I wonder at what point this will put a strain on Jeopardy? I wonder if they would try some shenanigans like ulter his buzzer so he keeps losing the buzz ins.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 21st, 2019 at 9:29:53 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

It was a fluke and a question that would seem fairly easy for him. HR Block? And he said FedEx?
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 21st, 2019 at 9:33:13 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I wonder if James will do the same at some point. Maybe not lose on purpose but on the final jeopardy go all in. If he gets it right which he does most of the time then he looks awesome. If he loses then owell he is done. Although I think if he does this it wouldn't be until he beat Jennings in wins. How much money would he have at that point? 6 mil?

I wonder at what point this will put a strain on Jeopardy? I wonder if they would try some shenanigans like ulter his buzzer so he keeps losing the buzz ins.

Ratings increase more than makes up for it with the increased advertising dollars. Producers are smiling, IMO.

Even though many of the games aren't competitive, they are drawing in viewers.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Thanks for this post from:
FinsRuleAyecarumba
May 21st, 2019 at 9:50:16 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I donít think so, I think he will legitimately lose one. I think heíll miss a daily double or two in a show and that will open the door for someone to beat him in final jeopardy. He plays a game where there will be some variance at some point, the question is will he be facing the right competition that can take advantage of it. If his bad day comes with mediocre players then it wonít matter much. Heís the golden state warriors, he can be beat but it will take someoneís best on his off day to beat him.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 21st, 2019 at 10:14:15 AM permalink
He's making $75,000 per day. I doubt he ever loses interest in accumulating as much as he can. My instinct tells me, that while he bets sports....I doubt he was doing that well with it other than a passing hobby. I think one sports book manager said something to the effect of "he wins a little and breaks even from time to time".

He was probably more of a stay at home dad while his wife teaches kind of guy.

Jeopardy presented an opportunity...and he certainly has capitalized. Both he and his wife have made the game show circuit before.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
May 21st, 2019 at 10:30:53 AM permalink
I think heíll end up in a baseball front office when he eventually loses.

• Jump to: