Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
HugoSlavia
December 21st, 2017 at 7:01:54 PM permalink
Enjoy!

Direct link: https://youtu.be/QbFp4tY6IJc

The question for the poll is how did you like the video?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
December 21st, 2017 at 7:43:07 PM permalink
Kind of weird to film from so far away. You probably need someone to get up close progress shots in order to keep up the viewers interest. Some under/over action before the event would add some interest and possibly spectators.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 21st, 2017 at 7:44:55 PM permalink
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4-dHF6Fn0
I am a robot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 21st, 2017 at 7:50:59 PM permalink
It's so far away it's obviously a stunt double.
I was more impressed that the hot girl knew
you were an actuary. Is she an ex girlfriend?
(you wish)
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 21st, 2017 at 8:21:02 PM permalink
In all seriousness, you shouldn't do these stunts by yourself, it's too dangerous. If something happened, there might not be anyone there to help you if you fall and hit your head.
I am a robot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
December 21st, 2017 at 9:05:53 PM permalink
Thanks for the comments.

Point well taken about the camera being too far away. I actually tried this a few months ago but didn't finish before the camera shut off because it ran over 10 minutes. The way we shot that attempt was my friend Heather, VegasAces of the forum, was in the middle and I rode in circles around her as she rotated to keep the camera on me. However, I didn't like the footage. I was too close to the camera and you couldn't tell I was on a unicycle much of the time. Plus, I thought the audience would get dizzy watching it.

Fast forward and I did the 4x4x4 challenge all by myself about a month ago and thought it came out okay. I also practiced doing the 5x5x5 many times, sometimes on a unicycle and sometimes not. I must have solved it about 200-300 times between attempts, trying to get my time under 10 minutes on a unicycle. I knew to get under 10 minutes I'd need a larger area than I used with the 4x4x4 challenge because it is hard to turn the cube and the unicycle at the same time. It was also important to me that I never leave the field of view or you guys would be saying somebody off camera slipped me a solved cube. So, we had to move the camera back as far as we did. We tried it closer but I kept getting out of the field of view when I was near the wall. I keep saying "we." Heather helped me with this attempt as well. We discussed several ideas of how to shoot it. In the end I wanted to keep it simple and favored the long shot. Maybe not my best decision but I doubt this thing will ever get many views so who really cares?

That also addresses the point of me hurting myself. In my many years riding a unicycle I've only drawn blood once. That was when I was riding it around Yellowstone up a steep and pothole-laden hill. I don't know exactly what happened but out of nowhere I hit the ground and my pedal somehow got in the middle of it and I scraped up my leg pretty good. When I opened up the back of my truck to put the unicycle in I got blood all over the back, which remained the rest of the trip. However, I've literally ridden thousands of miles very safely. I've had a few pedal scrapes here and there but nothing that even needed a band aid except the Yellowstone incident.

I am all in favor of making an event of me attempting the 6x6x6 Rubik's Cube on a unicycle in public. Maybe something we can do for the 2018 Spring Fling.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 23rd, 2017 at 8:38:52 PM permalink
6x6x6 time sitting -- 12/23/17 -- 16:30
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 23rd, 2017 at 9:04:58 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The only thing a cube is good for is
hitting it with a sledge hammer.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
December 23rd, 2017 at 10:00:08 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

What are the parameters for scrambling these cubes up to begin with ? Does another person have to do it. Are x number of scrambling twists necessary before it’s considered fully scrambled. Does it not matter

I’d think if it’s done by the person doing the solving , or even within that persons sight , that it provides an advantage. And I’ve always wondered if it’s possible to solve a cube in less moves than were made in scrambling it (if the scrambling begins with a solved cube that is )
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 24th, 2017 at 7:02:50 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

What are the parameters for scrambling these cubes up to begin with ? Does another person have to do it. Are x number of scrambling twists necessary before it’s considered fully scrambled. Does it not matter

I’d think if it’s done by the person doing the solving , or even within that persons sight , that it provides an advantage. And I’ve always wondered if it’s possible to solve a cube in less moves than were made in scrambling it (if the scrambling begins with a solved cube that is )

At sanctioned 3X3 competitions there is a prescribed scramble that is used on each cube so that they all begin at the same position.
Whether the minimum number of moves required to solve is less depends on the scramble. Supposedly, every 3X3 cube can be solved in a max of 20 turns.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
December 24th, 2017 at 7:14:57 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

I don't know. For a serious competition it would seem kosher that somebody else should do it. For a 3x3x3, I think there should be at least 20 (God's number) turns to scramble it.

Quote:

I can say that "God's Number" is the maximum number of turns required to solve any position. That number has been shown to be 20.

God's Number Revealed: 20 Moves Proven Enough to Solve Any Rubik's Cube Position.
  • Jump to: