6 votes (31.57%)

19 members have voted

rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
CrystalMath
August 22nd, 2017 at 10:20:42 AM permalink
I just returned home from Hastings, Nebraska. I fretted the weekend a little bit (ok.. a lot) because the weather forecasts were not great. I was going to go to a festival in Hastings, but when I got to the hotel, figured I would just stay in the parking lot, as I had an unobstructed view from there. However, the clouds were quite thick. So as I looked around, I saw that the skies were a lot clearer in a Northwest direction from where I was. So onto google maps to figure out a town that was in that direction but not too far. (this is 11:10, by the way, partial started at 11:33). Prosser, Nebraska it was... and I loaded my stuff into my car and punched it into my GPS and started heading that way.

This was farmland, through and through. Lots of corn and I'm on a paved road towards Prosser. I pulled over on a side road, right at the start of the partial eclipse and watched for a little bit. I had moved away from most of the clouds... so definitely a good decision. But based on the winds.. it seemed like it still wasn't quite right. So back in the car, and I drove up the road another 4-5 miles or so, and decided that the sunny spot I saw ahead was where I was parking myself... no more moving.. this was it.

I found a tiny little connecting gravel road between two paved roads. 1/10 of a mile long. No one else there, just cornfields and I stood watch over the eclipse. The occasional wispy clouds moved in front of the sun, but it was not enough to obscure the view through my eclipse glasses.

As the moment approached, it got darker, the wind stopped, and I removed my glasses and there it was.. in between clouds.. a perfect view of the eclipse for the entire amount of totality. It was simply breathtaking! No cars around, no other people.. just me and nature. I want to see another one! I was surprised how soft and radiant the corona was.. all the pictures make the light seem much harsher.

To all out there who think this isn't a big deal (.. cough cough .. RS.. cough)..... make plans for 2024 because it is a mind-blowing experience, being in totality.
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
August 22nd, 2017 at 11:54:50 AM permalink
I went to a house south of Carrier Mills, IL, a cousin of a friend, and hung out for the morning with great people. I left Mt. Vernon at 7 AM and experienced no traffic. The forecast had been for mostly cloudy, but there was never a cloud over the sun for the entire eclipse. Totality was an amazing experience. My favorite part was the end of totality and the diamond ring effect. Two things surprised me. I though it would get much darker, and the corona was much larger and brighter than I expected. It looked like an inside out plasma ball. The drive back north took about 90 minutes longer than it should have due to some heavy traffic. I decided to go to the Horseshoe in Hammond, thinking I would avoid some of it, but I didn't get there until 11 PM. On the plus side, I made enough to pay for my trip and hotel.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 22nd, 2017 at 1:49:43 PM permalink
Kind of bizarre "watching from the outside". I recall a partial eclipse, had to have been in '93 - '94. I remember being told the day before we were gonna do something cool at school. I remember a few total eclipses since then during this information age, usually a pic of some foreign country with a bunch of revelers outside with about the same one day lead up. This? My gods. You couldn't escape it. Every day was an update on how no one has the right glasses and where you can find some legit ones still for sale. Then an all week lead up. An all day coverage. And now 500mm pics that were taken.

It sort of helps my problem determining whether its the world going to hell or just 24/7 news making it feel that way.

Anyway, I got to see what my area offered. I forgot about it all day until coming off the road at work when the "tornado sky" caught my attention. That weird state where the sky is darkened but the ground stays bright. That reminded me, but it was clear skies for miles and all I had was my fishing glasses. Then, on the way home, there was one little blup of cloud, a pinch of cotton in a sea of blue, and the shadow lie right in the road. Hit the dark, looked up, and there it was clear as could be. It was more striking than I remember. I recall thinking lunar were more cool after that day in school, but this was something else, alright. Now I just gotta survive 7 more years.

Question for all - any of you take this in around a navigable body of water, and if so, how was the boat traffic?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
August 22nd, 2017 at 3:48:54 PM permalink
I envy those who saw it in totality. So...Mazatlan 2024, or maybe a cruise passing through.
I heart Crystal Math.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 22nd, 2017 at 5:07:16 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Kind of bizarre "watching from the outside". I recall a partial eclipse, had to have been in '93 - '94. I remember being told the day before we were gonna do something cool at school. I remember a few total eclipses since then during this information age, usually a pic of some foreign country with a bunch of revelers outside with about the same one day lead up. This? My gods. You couldn't escape it. Every day was an update on how no one has the right glasses and where you can find some legit ones still for sale. Then an all week lead up. An all day coverage. And now 500mm pics that were taken.

It sort of helps my problem determining whether its the world going to hell or just 24/7 news making it feel that way.

Anyway, I got to see what my area offered. I forgot about it all day until coming off the road at work when the "tornado sky" caught my attention. That weird state where the sky is darkened but the ground stays bright. That reminded me, but it was clear skies for miles and all I had was my fishing glasses. Then, on the way home, there was one little blup of cloud, a pinch of cotton in a sea of blue, and the shadow lie right in the road. Hit the dark, looked up, and there it was clear as could be. It was more striking than I remember. I recall thinking lunar were more cool after that day in school, but this was something else, alright. Now I just gotta survive 7 more years.

Question for all - any of you take this in around a navigable body of water, and if so, how was the boat traffic?

Lots of friends and coworkers watched on Lake Murray here in South Carolina. They were shocked how few people were out on the water.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 22nd, 2017 at 5:56:39 PM permalink
Beaches in SC looked pretty empty. One of the networks had a reporter on them and while not empty, they weren't crowded.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
August 22nd, 2017 at 7:11:57 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Beaches in SC looked pretty empty. One of the networks had a reporter on them and while not empty, they weren't crowded.

My deck in PA was packed with people drinking sharing glasses, so it was a good Monday afternoon. I'll take an Eclipse monthly.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 23rd, 2017 at 3:28:29 AM permalink
Super cool event - great to see Doc and Mrs. Doc and Rdw4potus again............. and meet for the first time Soopoo and sons, BBB, and Mrs. Rdw4potus

Eclipse was stunning. We got to see everything with a perfectly clear sky around the sun, no clouds except far off on the horizon. For the bucket list that was the totality obvious things plus we saw the 'shadow snakes' rolling across a white sidewalk, saw the 360 degree horizon effect, saw pindot effects, and felt the temperature change.

I found a tree nearby where some other people were set up and got to see the pindot effect through the leaves. These folks were unaware they should look for that and when I went back just past totality [a good time to look, more noticeable when near-full] I got immense praise, elevating me to Mr. Supercool/Awesome - that was nice.

It did not get as dark as I expected, an effect of too perfect weather? I said this to Doc and he mumbled something and had a look on his face like "here we go with the what's the big deal BS". So, let me be clear, no, not saying that at all, just saying what I was expecting from reading did not match exactly what I saw. I would call the light similar to the 'civil twilight' phase that is just prior to sunrise, or after sunset, for our area - maybe just a bit darker. I really suspect we got such a bright 360 degree horizon that it produced a lot of light.

Just should be something on everybody's bucket list!

Eclipse taking some of the time I only played Craps. Had a bunch of fun playing with Doc, BBB, Rdw4potus, and Soopoo. Rdw4potus and BBB and myself at times employed what could be called the Teddys Move - enough into the gray area of gaming moves to not describe it. It was a bunch of fun and I think helped me come away from the gaming a little ahead overall with 4 sessions of Craps. I do want to thank Teddy and give him the credit for the idea.

Thinking I would be playing by myself some, I had decided to keep an eye out for darksiders to practice picking up those "no action" decisions on the 6 and 8. I was going to actually seek out the higher limit tables where I think more of that goes on. I'd estimate at least 1 in 3 darksiders take 'no action' on those numbers from what I have seen. Well, anyway, that did not develop, but we did get to see one guy, a real stereotype of that gambler. He was putting a bunch of black chips on the Don't, probably $1000. I tried to converse with him, he wouldn't give me the time of day. It was 10x so of course he could have reduced his bet and used the free odds to fill out the $1000, but no. I can hear him thinking "it's stupid to get paid less than even". Then he gets an 8 to resolve, so naturally he moves the stack to the DC - "I have bad luck with those" of course being a good reason to do that. The table had been cold up till then, but he seemed to just be staying even. When it warmed up a bit for a while he was gone. Overall, it had been a cold table, as Right-siders we all agreed we lost money, plenty, on that particular session. Yet this brilliant Darkside player walked away a loser I think.

In any case I was not going to be offering to take his "no actions" at that level
Last edited by: odiousgambit on Aug 23, 2017
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 23rd, 2017 at 4:45:37 AM permalink
PS did not see Bailey's beads, myself

The corona was bigger than some pictures show. Made it look like some big furry thing to me.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 23rd, 2017 at 6:57:17 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Lots of friends and coworkers watched on Lake Murray here in South Carolina. They were shocked how few people were out on the water.

Fort Loudon Lake in Tennessee was packed with boats - I have never seen so many. The parking areas at all the boat ramps were completely full - if you didn't have a private dock you had to arrive early at the boat ramp areas or you were out of luck.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
August 23rd, 2017 at 8:37:45 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

PS did not see Bailey's beads, myself

The corona was bigger than some pictures show. Made it look like some big furry thing to me.

I agree.. I didn't see Bailey's beads, but i did see the diamond ring on the moon's exit. (apparently the diamond ring effect is a subset of Bailey's beads).
TheoHuxtable
TheoHuxtable
  • Threads: 7
August 23rd, 2017 at 12:23:07 PM permalink
Late to the party but here's a brief TR: just got back to Vegas after a grueling journey through the Appalachians to see the awesomeness that was totality. Landed on Sunday in Cincy and took an RV down to Princeton, KY to witness totality. Return trip took ~18 hours of bumper to bumper traffic to get to Pittsburgh airport. This trip lasted from 3pm-830am and included several heartbreaking experiences with over booked hotels/motels.

Overall an amazing experience, 10/10, would eclipse again. Plan is to rent a boat for one of the Great Lakes in 2024.
Views are my own...
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 23rd, 2017 at 12:58:14 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard (last week)

I'd like to suggest somebody open a new thread for the eclipse after the event where we can share stories and pictures.

I started such a thread here.

Sorry to be late starting it, since others have already posted their eclipse experiences, but I just now got something ready to post in that new thread.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 23rd, 2017 at 3:22:06 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Quote: gordonm888

Fort Loudon Lake in Tennessee was packed with boats - I have never seen so many. The parking areas at all the boat ramps were completely full - if you didn't have a private dock you had to arrive early at the boat ramp areas or you were out of luck.

Seems hit and miss, thanks bigly for the responses.

My home is in the path for '24, but dead center of it lies plop on one of my fishing spots in Erie. With a 1500 start time, seems it'd be a right treat to get two dusk's worth of prime fishing in 5hrs 3hrs (damnable standard time ><). I just wonder how to translate for size. Will Erie be easier due to the vast numbers of launches, or harder because they service multitudes more people?

Meh, we'll probably have hoverboats by then.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
September 24th, 2017 at 5:33:22 PM permalink
As everyone knows, the DNS attack started shortly after the eclipse and dealing with that has put a real damper on sharing eclipse stories. However, for those who don't know, I posted a blog entry about my experience.

Already making plans for Waco TX in 2024. Who is with me?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
billryan
billryan
September 24th, 2017 at 5:40:28 PM permalink
First came the eclipse, then the DNS attacks, followed by earthquakes and hurricanes. Seems like somebody somewhere is not too thrilled with something.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
September 25th, 2017 at 6:26:35 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Seems like somebody somewhere is not too thrilled with something.

Probably angry about something you did.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 25th, 2017 at 8:46:41 AM permalink
One of my friends from childhood tells me he thought the eclipse was faked, he watched YouTube videos about it. Can't believe how stupid and paranoid people can be. Not only has he told me this, he also has told me all the planets are really stars, for some reason they're hiding it from us, and also Michelle Obama is really a man. I tried getting him out of the house for some good money and he just wants to sit inside on the internet, this is why he was on friend probation all year until recently, couldn't stand being around him any more and couldn't stand how useless he is, while his mental problems are out of control.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
June 30th, 2019 at 3:47:55 AM permalink
next solar eclipse in a few days, but only to south america. 1744 days until our next eclipse.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
smoothgrhodiousgambitSOOPOO
June 30th, 2019 at 9:11:52 AM permalink
I find it really hard to believe it was almost two years ago already since the great WoV East conclave under the shaded skies. Geez. Lot of fun, though. Would do it again.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
July 1st, 2019 at 2:16:08 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

next solar eclipse in a few days, but only to south america. 1744 days until our next eclipse.

I just learned recently that eclipses follow a regular pattern, and that the "same" eclipse occurs every 18 years, 11 days, 8 hours. This period is called a "Saros".

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Ayecarumba
July 1st, 2019 at 6:55:45 PM permalink
Similar, but different.

In astronomy, an analemma is a diagram showing the position of the Sun in the sky, as seen from a fixed location on Earth at the same mean solar time, as that position varies over the course of a year. The diagram will resemble the figure 8. Globes of Earth often display an analemma.

Which looks like this:

GWAE
GWAE
July 2nd, 2019 at 3:38:19 AM permalink
so you are saying the sun will be in those positions at say 1pm in consecutive days? I never knew that.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
July 2nd, 2019 at 3:39:30 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I just learned recently that eclipses follow a regular pattern, and that the "same" eclipse occurs every 18 years, 11 days, 8 hours. This period is called a "Saros".

I find it fascinating that there is an exact pattern like this. The earth/planets/stars are traveling as such crazy speeds and rotating and everything else that it is amazing that this happens to an exact minute
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 2nd, 2019 at 10:22:46 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I find it fascinating that there is an exact pattern like this. The earth/planets/stars are traveling as such crazy speeds and rotating and everything else that it is amazing that this happens to an exact minute

It makes sense if you think about how we mark time. Sunrise and sunset are tied to the rotation of the Earth, the phases of the Moon are tied to the rotation of the Earth around the Sun... These regular cycles repeat and we divide and sub-divide these periods into years, months, days, hours, etc. Since eclipses involve objects that move in regular rhythms, it makes sense that the shadows also follow a regular pattern. The problem for us is our relatively short lifespan compared to the time between the events in the pattern.

Trivia!:
7 minutes and 29 seconds. It is likely that I'm going to miss that one.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
billryan
billryan
July 2nd, 2019 at 10:50:42 AM permalink
Deep six your wristwatch and try to understand
the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.
Time is relative. A two hour concert might be four hours too short for me, but three hours too long for someone else.
Ten minutes of making love goes by in a flash but it takes an eternity to run to your car in a cloudburst.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
July 2nd, 2019 at 12:16:26 PM permalink

Trivia!:

7 minutes and 29 seconds. It is likely that I'm going to miss that one.

It doesn't have to be that way.

https://www.cryonics.org/
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 17th, 2022 at 10:26:08 AM permalink
Today's episode of xkcd seems relevant...

https://xkcd.com/2685/
May the cards fall in your favor.
  • Jump to: