Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
April 19th, 2010 at 12:22:09 PM permalink
I know they can all be found by googling, but I tried to stick to reasonably guessable movies and money quotes. I'm going to make the theme gambling, whether for money or something else. The movies aren't necessarily gambling movies, though!

1) "Is this a game of chance?" "Not the way I play it, no."

2) "I beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. "Play for Blood," remember?"

3) "Do you know the difference between a hustler and a good con-man? A hustler has to get out of town as quick as he can, but a good con-man - he doesn't have to leave until he wants to."

4) "Yes. No. Maybe."

5) "There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess the easier it is for me to clean up."
A falling knife has no handle.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
April 19th, 2010 at 12:34:19 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

3) "Do you know the difference between a hustler and a good con-man? A hustler has to get out of town as quick as he can, but a good con-man - he doesn't have to leave until he wants to."

Color of Money ?
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 19th, 2010 at 12:40:29 PM permalink
1. Lucky You?
3. The Hustler?
4. Risky Business.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
April 19th, 2010 at 12:46:42 PM permalink
#2 is from Tombstone. Love that scene...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
April 19th, 2010 at 12:50:51 PM permalink
I recall #1 being a W.C. Fields line but don't remember which film. The same line may have been repeated by later scriptwriters.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
April 19th, 2010 at 1:20:31 PM permalink
Not having any patience, I decided to DQ myself and do some Googling. And I ran across a familiar name........

http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/games/index.xhtml
Quotes

Is this a game of chance? ... Not the way I play it, no.--Response from (removed) to a question from one of his many victims.
"The easier a game is to understand the greater the house advantage"--The Wizard of Odds
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
Mosca
Mosca
April 19th, 2010 at 1:54:44 PM permalink
2 is Tombstone; I love everything about that movie. It is one of the all time great westerns, IMO. Right up there with The Searchers.

4 is Risky Business. I call that a gambling scene because Joel goes "all in" asking Lana the question, "Are you my girlfriend? Yes? No? Maybe?" and she answers, "Yes. No. Maybe." A great role by DeMornay, and Cruise's best performance, IMO.

1 is WC Fields; he basically played the same character in a lot of different films, so I'll just say it is from My Little Chickadee. He was a leftover vaudeville performer, and his act doesn't transfer well to today's audiences, but his two best scenes in Its a Gift are classics of the type of comedy that is "death by a thousand cuts", where frustration builds infinitesimally until it explodes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41SFTn9xHus&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5AjSGrZbxw
Mosca
Mosca
April 19th, 2010 at 2:42:28 PM permalink
On the hour, I'll give the answers for the last two and ask someone else to post a couple...
Mosca
Mosca
April 19th, 2010 at 3:11:34 PM permalink
#3 is from the (IMO) under rated Diggstown; not often do we get to see James Woods and Bruce Dern going at it as opposing forces of evil!

#5 is from 2007's Oscar nominee Michael Clayton, starring George Clooney. That was another pretty decent flick. The wonderful Tilda Swinson won for Best Supporting Actress.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 19th, 2010 at 7:51:03 PM permalink

#3 is from the (IMO) under rated Diggstown; not often do we get to see James Woods and Bruce Dern going at it as opposing forces of evil!

I agree!
Headlock
Headlock
  • Threads: 22
April 19th, 2010 at 8:08:28 PM permalink
I'm a fan of Diggstown as well. Great movie. Anyone watching basketball tonight? The Most Interesting Man in the World now says "Beware the woman who only shows up when you're winning. Stay thirsty my friends."
Mosca
Mosca
April 19th, 2010 at 8:31:17 PM permalink
No particular theme this time. #4 should be hard.

1) "He doesn't like being called a midget. He prefers dwarf."

2) "All I can tell you is who's gonna be last."

3) "Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud."

4) "You said don't shoot him, right? Well I didn't; I choked... If you didn't want me to kill him, why did you leave me alone with him?"

5) "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
Mosca
Mosca
April 20th, 2010 at 5:22:34 PM permalink
Quote:

1) "He doesn't like being called a midget. He prefers dwarf."

In Bruges. This is an incredible film, much much better than the reviews. Martin McDonagh (writer/director) makes an entertaining movie that is also a great film. A work of art.

Quote:

2) "All I can tell you is who's gonna be last."

Unforgiven. IMO, the pinnacle of Eastwood's career. The greatest among many great films. Too many great quotes, I had to pick one.

Quote:

3) "Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud."

The Commitments. Just the best film about Rock and Roll ever made.

Quote:

4) "You said don't shoot him, right? Well I didn't; I choked... If you didn't want me to kill him, why did you leave me alone with him?"

Devil in a Blue Dress. This film didn't make much of a splash, and it should have. It's a "reverse noir"; the characters are black, the thugs are good and the cops are bad, the night time is safe and the day time is dangerous... lots going on here.

Quote:

5) "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

Army of Darkness. Just unbridled fun and silliness, and great stop-motion animation. Sam Raimi; need I say more?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 20th, 2010 at 6:12:45 PM permalink
Name that movie, part 2. May I remind you, no searching!

1. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil?

2. General, the machine has locked us out. It's sending random numbers to the silos.

3. I'll fight you both together if you want.

4. Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

5. Where'd you get the beauty scar, tough guy?

6. For shame! Lawrence, I'm surprised at you!

7. God's the guy that ignores you.

8. Let me make something clear to you. He doesn't have a name.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
April 20th, 2010 at 6:32:34 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

2. General, the machine has locked us out. It's sending random numbers to the silos.

War Games I believe.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 20th, 2010 at 6:57:30 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

War Games I believe.

Yup!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
April 20th, 2010 at 7:06:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

3. I'll fight you both together if you want.

That's from the Wizard of Oz. Ironic...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Mosca
Mosca
April 20th, 2010 at 7:18:39 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

That's from the Wizard of Oz. Ironic...

Oooh, you beat me to it!

#5 is Scarface!

6, Animal House! My favorite scene from that film. She was in Caddyshack, then the drugs and alcohol got to her and she left acting altogether. Sarah Holcomb.

I don't know #1, I'll get the last one but I have to think about it, I might know the other two (dom and god) but maybe not.

Bah. I looked them up. I should have known #1, but it's been over 30 years since I've seen that one. (Was that a hint?) The others, nah. Wouldn't have got them. But I'd seen Scarface within the last couple months, and Animal House and Wizard of Oz, those are both 50+ viewings.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 25th, 2010 at 3:22:33 PM permalink
Here are the answers to the ones nobody got:

1. A Clockwork Orange (I'm surprised nobody got that one).
4. The Spy Who Love Me
7. The Island (I'd have been impressed if anybody got that one).
8. Robocop.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 25th, 2010 at 6:27:09 PM permalink
(1) Rebecca Ryan is a character in a book; there is no one behind the curtain; there are no flying bullets

I have to set this quote up as it is very difficult to get. In 1983 all four losing Best Actor Oscar nominees were British. One of them was a character and stage actor little known in America named Tom Conti. The following year he made a slapstick comedy that was released about 7 months after the popular Romancing the Stone and was of a similar genre although considerably funnier. This quote is from that movie.

In 1983 played the cynical aging poet involved in a romance with the hot Kelly McGillis who was 16 years younger than him. In this movie he plays a the romantic lead against JoBeth Williams who is closer to him in age. He made a number of films since then that were limited in popularity in the USA but basically slipped back into character acting and plays. This movie, a great date movie for people over the age of say 30, yet very few people have ever seen movie. Watch the Youtube tribute video .

Tom Conti briefly surfaced to a wide American audience as Emily's father when Ross goes to London to get married in Friends.

(2) Cursed for eternity...No force in Heaven will release them. No power on Earth can save them.

(3) The prince of darkness is a gentleman

(4) She Who Must Be Obeyed.

(5) Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 26th, 2010 at 2:58:14 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

This is a much repeated saying by the beloved Rumpole of the Bailey, which was British TV that was very faithful to a set of short stories by John Mortimer. Rumpole would basically do an aside with this remark when his wife had something she wanted him to do and used a certain tone of voice [this resonates with most married men!] Someone told me Mortimer borrowed the saying from something else, so I may not have the correct answer. Also, you would seem to be wanting a movie name?

(5) Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party!

The Producers!. Is it true that Mel Brooks wanted to name it Hitler in Springtime but they wouldnt let him?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 26th, 2010 at 5:03:56 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

This is a much repeated saying by the beloved Rumpole of the Bailey, which was British TV that was very faithful to a set of short stories by John Mortimer. Rumpole would basically do an aside with this remark when his wife had something she wanted him to do and used a certain tone of voice [this resonates with most married men!] Someone told me Mortimer borrowed the saying from something else, so I may not have the correct answer. Also, you would seem to be wanting a movie name?

I was thinking of Rumpole who made the line famous to most of us. He was actually quoting a line from a popular 19th century graphic novel, called She about a mysterious supernatural queen who ruled in terror. Although I've never read it, it is one of the best selling books of all time. It was made into a movie 9 times starting with silent pictures, but not in the last 45 years. Ursula Andress was the last one to play the part. The author of the book also wrote King Solomon's Mines.

It is similar to the line the game's afoot which Arthur Conan Doyle used only one time in all of his Sherlock Holmes novels. It was actually a quote from Shakespeare's Henry V and not an original line. Yet it has become synonymous with Sherlock Holmes for most people.

Leo McKern who played Rumpole was in one of the other movies that I quoted, co starring with one of the stars of The Producers!.

A man named E. D. Hirsch Jr. wrote a book called Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know. in 1987 where he talked about the fact that people used to use shorthand to convey a lot of meaning in a very short phrase. He found one of his father's business letters where he said There is a tide in the affairs of men... and he said his father could be reasonably certain that everyone who read the letter would know the meaning of this quote and get an idea of the emotional gravity of what he was going to say next. But without these touchstones, people can't use any shorthand. I tried it on my students at the time, and I asked them what it would mean if I called someone a Judas. Almost half didn't register anything at all. Of course it has gotten so much better in the 23 years since that book was written.
Mosca
Mosca
April 26th, 2010 at 5:40:44 AM permalink
I never saw any movie of it, but "the Prince of Darkness is a gentleman"; that is King Lear, and I notice a further quote in your sig!
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 26th, 2010 at 6:08:26 AM permalink

I never saw any movie of it, but "the Prince of Darkness is a gentleman"; that is King Lear, and I notice a further quote in your sig!

Nice catch. It is said by the same character that is in my sig. It was the only reference I could find that Shakespeare made about gaming. King Lear has been filmed a few times for the cinema, but the greatest was Laurence Olivier's TV version.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
April 26th, 2010 at 9:01:39 AM permalink

A man named E. D. Hirsch Jr. wrote a book called Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know. in 1987 where he talked about the fact that people used to use shorthand to convey a lot of meaning in a very short phrase. He found one of his father's business letters where he said There is a tide in the affairs of men... and he said his father could be reasonably certain that everyone who read the letter would know the meaning of this quote and get an idea of the emotional gravity of what he was going to say next. But without these touchstones, people can't use any shorthand. I tried it on my students at the time, and I asked them what it would mean if I called someone a Judas. Almost half didn't register anything at all. Of course it has gotten so much better in the 23 years since that book was written.

I find this sad. I pride myself on knowing a lot of these types of references, but I had to look that up. I think all English-speakers should be familiar with the entire canon of Shakespeare, but that is simply not true anymore. (Remember in the movie Quiz Show when Charles Van Doren and his father would play that game where they quiz each other on Shakespeare quotes?) We are moving away from the cultural literacy based on texts to a cultural literacy based on technology. If I say, "All your base are belong to us," how many people on this board would get it? I guarantee you every single person in my class at grad school would. And that is not Shakespeare.

List of internet memes.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 26th, 2010 at 10:32:00 AM permalink
All your base are belong to us. I just read in Wikipedia. There is a tide in the affairs of men... was understood because at the time every schoolkid read Julius Ceasar. I understand that the play is not part of the standard curriculum today.

Mark Twain wrote To be, or not to be; that is the bare bodkin, That makes calamity of so long life. at a time when many houses in America had a copy of (1)The Bible, (2) Bowdler's family Shakespeare, and (3) Pilgrim's Progress and that was it.

It does occur to me that the cheapest commodity to sell in the information age is lust and envy. There are now billions of people who know the name of Paris Hilton. Vegas just lamented the passing of Annie Ample, the Vegas stripper who was one of the first people to be famous just for being famous.
Mosca
Mosca
April 26th, 2010 at 3:59:29 PM permalink
"Hello Jedediah."
"Hello, Charlie. I didn't know we were speaking..."
"Sure, we're speaking, Jedediah: you're fired."
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 26th, 2010 at 4:13:10 PM permalink

"Hello Jedediah."
"Hello, Charlie. I didn't know we were speaking..."
"Sure, we're speaking, Jedediah: you're fired."

Citizen Kane.

BTW, I much preffer: "You're right, I did lose a million dollars last year. I expect to lose a million dollars this year. I expect to lose a million dollars *next* year. You know, Mr. Thatcher, at the rate of a million dollars a year, I'll have to close this place in... 60 years."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 26th, 2010 at 4:56:17 PM permalink
(1) Rebecca Ryan is a character in a book; there is no one behind the curtain; there are no flying bullets
(2) Cursed for eternity...No force in Heaven will release them. No power on Earth can save them.

The movies with these two quotes are American Dreamer which I urge you to watch with a woman. Youtube tribute video .

The second one is LadyHawke which co starred Leo McKern from "Rumpole of the Bailey", and Matthew Broderick from "The Producers".
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 26th, 2010 at 5:08:51 PM permalink

The second one is LadyHawke which co starred Leo McKern from "Rumpole of the Bailey", and Matthew Broderick from "The Producers".

I saw that movie on a flight from Houston to London. It's the closest I've ever come to jumping off a plane ;)

Ok. It isn't that bad (maybe). But it contains a Central Riddle(TM) from Captain Obvious(TM). Had I watched it in a theater, I'd have yelled "Eclipse!" until I was forcibly removed ;)

Oh, well. At the time watching a movie on a plane was something special, so you watched it all even if it stank. And sometimes you got good movies. These days I don't even plug the complimentary earphones in. I just try to sleep all the way over...
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mosca
Mosca
April 30th, 2011 at 9:03:11 PM permalink

In 1983 played the cynical aging poet involved in a romance with the hot Kelly McGillis who was 16 years younger than him. In this movie he plays a the romantic lead against JoBeth Williams who is closer to him in age. He made a number of films since then that were limited in popularity in the USA but basically slipped back into character acting and plays.

That was Reuben, Reuben. Great film, but very, very sad. I saw it at a time I was trying to make a life as a writer, and thought it was profoundly depressing, as I was suffering from terminal block. Since I was young at the time, I could still change my mind, and a couple-three years later I did.

Two weeks ago, we had a sewer main back up into our house, and we had to call ServPro to clean the raw sewage out of our finished basement. There were boxes and boxes of old papers, a lot of which had to be tossed. But I found a box of "squibs"; aborted starts, riffs, wanderings, story plans, characters, all stuff I wrote in the late '70s and early '80s. Damn. I remember how my brain used to burn when I wrote.

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 2nd, 2011 at 3:51:03 PM permalink
How about this one:

"If what I think is happening, is happening... It better not be"
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: