Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
September 15th, 2016 at 8:55:50 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Quit the name calling, please; this and your post above it. I'm giving the politics threads a little latitude for the moment so I'm stopping with a warning. For now. Thanks.

That's cool, Babs; when this guy calls me a moron, I consider it a compliment. Even when he spells it incorrectly.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
September 15th, 2016 at 8:57:50 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Since when is calling some a maroon an insult?

In the same way that calling you a jork or an odiot would be.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 15th, 2016 at 11:40:19 PM permalink
Figures that you have no clue what maroon reference cues.
Rant on.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 15th, 2016 at 11:51:04 PM permalink

Figures that you have no clue what maroon reference cues.
Rant on.

From The Urban Dictionary :

maroon
1. A color between red and brown
2. A stupid person; a fool
1. She's wearing maroon pants
2. "What a maroon." -- Bugs Bunny

Obviously you meant definition 2 both times your said it. Not my first turnip truck on slang. If you have some other cultural reference, it's obscure compared to this, and the common perception of any third party is going to be personal insult. Take a few days and think about it; I'm reversing my decision.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 16th, 2016 at 1:01:46 AM permalink

From The Urban Dictionary :

maroon
1. A color between red and brown
2. A stupid person; a fool
1. She's wearing maroon pants
2. "What a maroon." -- Bugs Bunny

Obviously you meant definition 2 both times your said it. Not my first turnip truck on slang. If you have some other cultural reference, it's obscure compared to this, and the common perception of any third party is going to be personal insult. Take a few days and think about it; I'm reversing my decision.

There isn't much for him to think about; some poster comes here, writes negative and insulting crap about people all the time (with just a hint of some kind of moral superiority and rants about eliminating the opposition in Hitler-esque fashion) probably will push people to the edge of the insult line. One got a few warnings up front for his behavior; the other uses the same word twice and gets suspended. I am sure that he is tremendously hurt by that...
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 16th, 2016 at 1:46:11 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

There isn't much for him to think about; some poster comes here, writes negative and insulting crap about people all the time (with just a hint of some kind of moral superiority and rants about eliminating the opposition in Hitler-esque fashion) probably will push people to the edge of the insult line. One got a few warnings up front for his behavior; the other uses the same word twice and gets suspended. I am sure that he is tremendously hurt by that...

Sorry you feel I'm being unfair. I wasn't going to suspend billryan, either, but instead of recognizing he was hitting foul balls he wanted to argue that he wasn't making personal insults when he obviously was.

Everybody is tense and polarized over this election, and I'm trying to let people air it out so we're not just a mass of suspensions, but the faux innocence and derision over being called on his insults gave me little choice. Everyone else has been gracious about their warnings and lightened up; he fought it. So he got the strict interpretation of the rules.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 16th, 2016 at 2:18:31 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

None of my clients know if they will be in the country election day

Then they can request an absentee ballot like they have been able to do for decades. No need to risk security of an election because people are too lazy to do that. But you should never be allowed to vote absentee the first time you vote, and never more than three years in a row,

Secure elections are the most important thing. No big deal if a person does not get to vote because the refuse to follow the rules.

People who really want to vote will put in the effort.

I don't want people who can somehow find time to go to the store but not to vote accommodated with special help because of their laziness.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
September 16th, 2016 at 4:06:04 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Then they can request an absentee ballot like they have been able to do for decades. No need to risk security of an election because people are too lazy to do that. But you should never be allowed to vote absentee the first time you vote, and never more than three years in a row,

They can do that but why not accommodate them further
I am not talking a couple of people, its an entire huge company of thousands
Opening the election to a 2 week window prevents fraud because there is time to investigate any suspicious votes
Easy voting by mail has a paper trail that prevents fraud
I arrange business travel for an entire company of engineers and executives
Not a single engineer or executive can predict that they will be in town on election day
This is not the horse and buggy era
This is the modern jet age business world where people cannot predict if they will be home on election day
Last edited by: terapined on Sep 16, 2016
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 16th, 2016 at 8:20:18 AM permalink

Sorry you feel I'm being unfair. I wasn't going to suspend billryan, either, but instead of recognizing he was hitting foul balls he wanted to argue that he wasn't making personal insults when he obviously was.

Everybody is tense and polarized over this election, and I'm trying to let people air it out so we're not just a mass of suspensions, but the faux innocence and derision over being called on his insults gave me little choice. Everyone else has been gracious about their warnings and lightened up; he fought it. So he got the strict interpretation of the rules.

No, I don't think you were "unfair" at at all. You found a personal insult, warned about it, it was mentioned again and you suspended someone.

My point is that a poster such as the one "insulted" here will drive people to the insult line and possible over with some of his Hitler-esque quotes about eliminating people who oppose his positions, his open support of executions by mutilation, his broad generalizations about a large portion of our population, and various other rantings mentioned in his posts.

You said that the suspended one could think about things for a bit...really, there isn't much to think about. Sometimes it is just fine to lob the insult and risk the suspension. How much real impact does your suspending him have on anything? He can't come play here for a bit. I am sure he is thinking deeply about it!
terapined
terapined
October 6th, 2016 at 5:42:38 PM permalink
Another great reason to have early voting
Hurricane Mathew
Can you imagine something like this hitting Florida on election day
billryan
billryan
October 6th, 2016 at 8:03:44 PM permalink

Another great reason to have early voting
Hurricane Mathew
Can you imagine something like this hitting Florida on election day

That just happened in Colombia. They were having perhaps the most important vote in their countries history last week. The ruling party, whose supporters are mainly on the eastern coast , proposed a peace agreement with rebels who have been fighting for twenty plus years. The day of the election, a hurricane hit the coast and voting in some regions was a third of what was expected . Voting went as expected in the Western provinces and the measure was defeated by the slimmest of margins.
I'm not sure why they didn't postpone the election.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Brewfangrb
Brewfangrb
  • Threads: 0
October 7th, 2016 at 12:40:39 AM permalink

Then just get more polling places and machines. AZ has had lots of growth so it will need to do this, and there will be growing pains.

It had NOTHING to do with growth. The local officials purposely reduced the number of polling locations.

For someone complaining people should have to take a citizenship test to vote, you're alarmingly uninformed.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 7th, 2016 at 5:03:27 AM permalink
Quote: Brewfangrb

It had NOTHING to do with growth. The local officials purposely reduced the number of polling locations.

For someone complaining people should have to take a citizenship test to vote, you're alarmingly uninformed.

Yeah, the number of polling places in Maricopa county was REDUCED from a little over 200 to less than 70. Because the administrators (who happened to be Republicans) wanted to "save costs". AND the population is increasing. AND, now they'll waste way more taxpayer money defending the lawsuits than they would have spent just maintaining the previous number of polling places (which already had an average wait time of more than 90 minutes in the 2012 election).
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
October 7th, 2016 at 5:30:19 AM permalink

But you should never be allowed to vote absentee the first time you vote, and never more than three years in a row,

So my son who is a legal NY state resident but is in school in Florida when he turns 18 should not be allowed to vote absentee in his first election? And if he is away for 4 consecutive years (that's how long college is) he shouldn't be allowed to vote in the 4th election year? I don't think you gave this one much thought.....
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
October 7th, 2016 at 5:34:17 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

So my son who is a legal NY state resident but is in school in Florida when he turns 18 should not be allowed to vote absentee in his first election? And if he is away for 4 consecutive years (that's how long college is) he shouldn't be allowed to vote in the 4th election year? I don't think you gave this one much thought.....

Nope. No thought at all. As if most 18 year olds weren't absent from their primary residences in November. Fails for college students, fails for the military...
Last edited by: rdw4potus on Oct 7, 2016
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
billryan
billryan
October 7th, 2016 at 10:14:54 AM permalink
A better question would he should be have to vote absentee or should he be allowed to register and vote in Florida?
As he spends more time there, why shouldn't be vote there?
I attended a school in a small town in upstate NY. Even the students who lived off campus were denied the right to register and vote locally.
terapined
terapined
October 7th, 2016 at 10:37:28 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Nope. No thought at all. As if most 18 year olds weren't absent from their primary residences in November. Fails for college students, fails for the military...

Fails for an entire company of employees
I arrange business travel for a large company composed of engineers and executives
Just about every employee cannot predict if they will be home election day
They are all road warriors.
Tons of jobs in the USA are dependent on their international business trips to see customers and suppliers
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 7th, 2016 at 3:16:29 PM permalink
I love the argument that mail-in balloting and early voting increases fraud, as if thousands have been charged or convicting of throwing an election.

31 in a billion.

I guess we just need to change the rules for that bowl of Skittles.

I know, if a bunch of poor black or Hispanic people show up at the polls, they must be cheating. That's the only way the Dems could have won Pennsylvania or Ohio.

I get a little tired when Republican governors attempt to curb ways to vote by enacting unconstitutional voter-registration laws, shorten up advance-polling and close voting sites in left-leaning districts.

Yes, poor people and people of color disproportionally vote Democrat. Now why is that? When you stand in line for hours trying to cast a vote while your friends in the burbs can get in and out in under an hour, you start to wonder if the system is working against you. They're not voting three times - they have a hard enough time trying to vote once.

I really don't understand how a nation as advanced as the USA can't get it right.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
DTRobers
DTRobers
October 7th, 2016 at 6:21:17 PM permalink
I guess that I must change my mind about the question of early voting.

We should give Donald Trump (and the party that made the catastrophic mistake of allowing him to be nominated) every second of extra time to destroy their own campaigns.

If the GOP fails to toss Trump from the sleigh this weekend I predict a Democratic White House, Senate and House come January; a liberal Supreme Court soon thereafter.
DTRobers
DTRobers
October 7th, 2016 at 6:37:12 PM permalink
Geez, that did not take long! Trump has just been disinvited to a campaign appearance in WI with Speaker Ryan and Gov. Walker.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
October 7th, 2016 at 6:57:35 PM permalink

A better question would he should be have to vote absentee or should he be allowed to register and vote in Florida?
As he spends more time there, why shouldn't be vote there?
I attended a school in a small town in upstate NY. Even the students who lived off campus were denied the right to register and vote locally.

Literally home is where the heart is. All our representatives and senators couldn't be reelected otherwise usually being in D.C.
I am a robot.
terapined
terapined
November 7th, 2016 at 5:27:25 AM permalink
1/2 of Florida voters voted early :-)
We may be evolving to a practice of fewer and fewer voting on election day
We may get to the point that in early voting states, those that wait till election day to vote are the same people doing their taxes on April 15 :-)
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
November 7th, 2016 at 5:43:22 AM permalink

those that wait till election day to vote are the same people doing their taxes on April 15 :-)

Good one. Any others:

Waiting until it's legalized to get high.

Waiting until your wedding day to get laid.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
November 7th, 2016 at 7:20:22 AM permalink

1/2 of Florida voters voted early :-)
We may be evolving to a practice of fewer and fewer voting on election day
We may get to the point that in early voting states, those that wait till election day to vote are the same people doing their taxes on April 15 :-)

I said this in the 2016 Election thread and I'll say it again here:

In the next four years, Republicans will launch an all out assault on early voting.

Democrats do better when more people vote. Republicans know this, and will try to do anything to stop it.

And of course, they will use nonexistent "voter fraud" as their excuse for eliminating early voting. They're a one trick pony.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
billryan
billryan
November 7th, 2016 at 8:43:57 AM permalink
I don't like that they release information on who has voted early. In Nevada, all we hear is how Democrats and Hispanics have turned out in record numbers.
I don't think any information should be allowed until the polls close.
John Rolston has done a series of articles about how based on early voting, Trump can't win Nevada and without it he can't win the Presidency. Articles like this can make people feel there vote isn't needed.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
November 8th, 2016 at 7:11:20 AM permalink

I don't like that they release information on who has voted early. In Nevada, all we hear is how Democrats and Hispanics have turned out in record numbers.
I don't think any information should be allowed until the polls close.
John Rolston has done a series of articles about how based on early voting, Trump can't win Nevada and without it he can't win the Presidency. Articles like this can make people feel there vote isn't needed.

This.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
November 8th, 2016 at 7:37:15 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

I said this in the 2016 Election thread and I'll say it again here:

In the next four years, Republicans will launch an all out assault on early voting.

Democrats do better when more people vote. Republicans know this, and will try to do anything to stop it.

And of course, they will use nonexistent "voter fraud" as their excuse for eliminating early voting. They're a one trick pony.

Oregon has been 100% vote by mail for almost 20 years, and partially for almost 30. You're automatically registered at the DMV when you get your drivers' license. And since 2000, with over 20M ballots cast, there have been roughly 13 cases of "voter fraud." Most of those were honest mistakes like signing your spouse's ballot envelope rather than actual malicious fraud. Because yes, they check signatures. One critical benefit of vote-by-mail is the ability for election officials to catch signature mismatches prior to election day -- this happened to a friend last week. She got called into the county office to re-verify that the signature on her ballot was actually hers.

Don't let innumerate conspiracy theorists dictate policy. Voter fraud is not a statistically-significant problem and, without double-checking, I believe has never come close to swinging an election in the US. A three-week voting window with mail-in or drop-off ballots works *better* than a single day standing in line.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/central-oregon/despite-easy-voter-access-voter-fraud-deemed-rare-in-oregon/69175638
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
November 8th, 2016 at 8:08:58 AM permalink

I don't think any information should be allowed until the polls close

How do you suggest we stop it from happening?

Articles like this can make people feel there vote isn't needed.

The mathematics of dividing 1 by 100 million is what makes me feel like my vote isn't needed.
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2016 at 8:59:41 AM permalink
By not releasing any information until the polls close. It really is that simple.
  • Jump to: