Thread Rating:

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 11th, 2012 at 3:46:52 PM permalink
I am shopping for a graphing calculator, and would appreciate any recommendations. I have seen models from $50 for a Casio, to $180 for a TI with a color touch screen. Does the additional outlay for the more expensive models pay off in features/functions/utility?

I'd factor in depreciation..., but I don't have a calculator...hehe
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 11th, 2012 at 3:52:10 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I am shopping for a graphing calculator, and would appreciate any recommendations. I have seen models from $50 for a Casio, to $180 for a TI with a color touch screen. Does the additional outlay for the more expensive models pay off in features/functions/utility?

I'd factor in depreciation..., but I don't have a calculator...hehe

What do you need to do? color & 3d graphing are nice if you're doing advanced modeling; but they're also pretty expensive.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 11th, 2012 at 3:59:38 PM permalink
You don't have a smartphone? Graphing calculator apps cost far less than $50. I have a free Android app called Arity that works great. It live-graphs in 2D/3D (i.e. while you're typing in the equation) and lets you pan/zoom around the result.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
September 11th, 2012 at 4:05:52 PM permalink
Is there a specific reason you need one? I ask mainly because in my experience these were rarely(if ever) needed on tests and most of the functionality can be found on smartphones. I would look at reviews before I bought one, but to me something like the Google Nexus 7(if you don't have a smartphone) offers most if not all the functionality + a lot more.

For obvious reasons that would be a bad idea for something like the ACT or SAT.

I was a fan of TI and would recommend them over all the others. I had a Casio simply die on me. I think both my TIs that I haven't used in 10 years would probably work if I just put batteries in them.

This looks like a nice comparison. While I can't speak for all classes, I NEVER used a graphing calculator in any electrical engineering course and this was before smartphones.
http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/nonProductSingle/graphing_course_comparision.html
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 4:10:33 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

What do you need to do? color & 3d graphing are nice if you're doing advanced modeling; but they're also pretty expensive.

My kid is a freshman in High School now, and needs it for his Math and Physics classes.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 4:13:04 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

You don't have a smartphone? Graphing calculator apps cost far less than $50. I have a free Android app called Arity that works great. It live-graphs in 2D/3D (i.e. while you're typing in the equation) and lets you pan/zoom around the result.

Thanks for the input. He's got an ITouch, but I've read spotty review of some of the graphing calc. apps.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 4:16:17 PM permalink
Quote: soulhunt79

Is there a specific reason you need one? I ask mainly because in my experience these were rarely(if ever) needed on tests and most of the functionality can be found on smartphones. I would look at reviews before I bought one, but to me something like the Google Nexus 7(if you don't have a smartphone) offers most if not all the functionality + a lot more.

For obvious reasons that would be a bad idea for something like the ACT or SAT.

I was a fan of TI and would recommend them over all the others. I had a Casio simply die on me. I think both my TIs that I haven't used in 10 years would probably work if I just put batteries in them.

This looks like a nice comparison. While I can't speak for all classes, I NEVER used a graphing calculator in any electrical engineering course and this was before smartphones.
http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/nonProductSingle/graphing_course_comparision.html

Thanks for the info and endorsement. His teacher will actually works problems on a calculator, and expects the students to follow along on theirs. Times have changed since I was in school.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 11th, 2012 at 4:16:41 PM permalink

My kid is a freshman in High School now, and needs it for his Math and Physics classes.

And the TI-85 that you had in highschool is insufficient? :-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 11th, 2012 at 4:19:48 PM permalink
Is there a recommended calculator that would make following along easier? If so, that's probably worth it. If not, the TI-89 is a very nice calculator.
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
September 11th, 2012 at 4:22:10 PM permalink
I had a TI and it was great, but it really does matter what you need it for. Calculus you would need one, but anything else, you can probably get by with a ten dollar scientific calculator. Mine lasted for ten years, then the pixels (LED's?) starting going out. What's really great about them, is that they really are like mini-computers. You can actually write new programs that do different calculations, and there's all kinds of things that I never imagined a calculator could do.

I can't speak for smartphone apps, but I personally wouldn't like that. I like the physical feeling of pushing real keys. Touching a screen just doesn't feel right to me, of course if I used a smartphone for awhile that might change.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 4:28:07 PM permalink

And the TI-85 that you had in highschool is insufficient? :-)

If by "TI-85" you mean "solar powered Sharp with 10 character display and two memories", then yes. I assume my old calculator is in some e-waste landfill, still flashing 88888888-e. hehe
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 4:29:38 PM permalink

Is there a recommended calculator that would make following along easier? If so, that's probably worth it. If not, the TI-89 is a very nice calculator.

I was hoping to avoid the $180 price tag, but I understand your reasoning. Thanks!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 4:31:53 PM permalink
Quote: ewjones080

I had a TI and it was great, but it really does matter what you need it for. Calculus you would need one, but anything else, you can probably get by with a ten dollar scientific calculator. Mine lasted for ten years, then the pixels (LED's?) starting going out. What's really great about them, is that they really are like mini-computers. You can actually write new programs that do different calculations, and there's all kinds of things that I never imagined a calculator could do.

I can't speak for smartphone apps, but I personally wouldn't like that. I like the physical feeling of pushing real keys. Touching a screen just doesn't feel right to me, of course if I used a smartphone for awhile that might change.

Thanks for the input. He will eventually need it for Calculus, so it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
September 11th, 2012 at 4:34:15 PM permalink
There is absolutely no way in hell he would be allowed to use any smart phone app for a test. Whatever the current equivalent of a TI-89 is would be best, which is USUALLY the second most expensive. Back when I bought mine (ten years ago) the most powerful graphing calculator was not allowed on any of the AP tests because it was too powerful... too programmable.

Call up your high school's Calculus teacher and ask, there should be one that's recommended through Calc. Even if he won't be doing Calculus in high school, if he chooses to take it in college he won't have to adjust to a new one.

I wish I could give you a specific one, but I took a look at them at Walmart and didn't recognize any of them. What you really don't want to have happen is get a Casio and find out everyone else in class has a Texas Instruments. Those people have to deal with an unnecessary burden.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
September 11th, 2012 at 4:36:56 PM permalink
I bought my kid a TI-83 PLUS.

She hasn't bitched about it, so I guess it does the job.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 11th, 2012 at 4:38:40 PM permalink

I was hoping to avoid the $180 price tag, but I understand your reasoning. Thanks!

Not that it helps much, but they're about $140 on Amazon.
ahiromu
ahiromu
September 11th, 2012 at 4:40:48 PM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

People are still using the 83+? It's a fine calculator, but by trig or calc you're at a huge disadvantage to the people in your class using an 89. The 89 is a little more complicated to use, but is faster and has the infamous "solve" function.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 4:40:56 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

There is absolutely no way in hell he would be allowed to use any smart phone app for a test. Whatever the current equivalent of a TI-89 is would be best, which is USUALLY the second most expensive. Back when I bought mine (ten years ago) the most powerful graphing calculator was not allowed on any of the AP tests because it was too powerful... too programmable.

Call up your high school's Calculus teacher and ask, there should be one that's recommended through Calc. Even if he won't be doing Calculus in high school, if he chooses to take it in college he won't have to adjust to a new one.

I wish I could give you a specific one, but I took a look at them at Walmart and didn't recognize any of them. What you really don't want to have happen is get a Casio and find out everyone else in class has a Texas Instruments. Those people have to deal with an unnecessary burden.

I expected that there would be a recommendation, but according to my son, the teacher said, "any" would do. "You just have to learn how to use it". I can understand that thinking, since it would be a burden for some (like me) to "have to" buy a $150 TI when a $50 Casio would do.

I think in the instructor uses a TI-83 or 84, since that appears to be the models they have for "check-out" while in the classroom. I was hoping lots of folks in the know would come out and say, "Get the Casio", but the opposite seems true.

Thanks all for your help. I appreciate it very much.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 4:44:33 PM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

People are still using the 83+? It's a fine calculator, but by trig or calc you're at a huge disadvantage to the people in your class using an 89. The 89 is a little more complicated to use, but is faster and has the infamous "solve" function.

Thanks for the input. I'll look over both.
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
September 11th, 2012 at 4:50:39 PM permalink

I agree, and as mentioned by someone else it has the nice solve function. Not sure if it is still the case though, this and the TI 92 were not allowed on some tests due to how much you could program into them. I see that the 84+ has program options though so I'm guessing this is less of an issue nowdays.
ahiromu
ahiromu
September 11th, 2012 at 4:51:30 PM permalink

I expected that there would be a recommendation, but according to my son, the teacher said, "any" would do. "You just have to learn how to use it". I can understand that thinking, since it would be a burden for some (like me) to "have to" buy a $150 TI when a $50 Casio would do.

I think in the instructor uses a TI-83 or 84, since that appears to be the models they have for "check-out" while in the classroom. I was hoping lots of folks in the know would come out and say, "Get the Casio", but the opposite seems true.

Thanks all for your help. I appreciate it very much.

I know the exact situation your son is in, I was in the same a decade ago. In two or three years, your son will want/need to upgrade to the 89. I don't know the curriculum your district follows, but for me everything up through second year algebra (11th grade math) people had the TI-83. Then during trig (12th grade math) the TI-89 started to offer advantages and by first year calculus you were a fool to not have one. Getting the 83+ is perfectly fine and will actually make the next year or two easier on your son since that's what his instructor will be using. Unfortunately, you will need to buy the 89 eventually I guarantee you. Looking back I wish I started with the 89, there should be another kid or two your son can buddy up with.

The 83+ is pretty much the exact same thing as the 84 but slower. Functionally speaking, the 84 has nothing on the 89. Also, if your son has the 89 he'll be much less likely to get games from his classmates since they aren't compatible :).

Lastly, the 89 has something called a solve function. Basically you can plug in an equation and the calculator will solve it. As long as your son's teacher doesn't ban this calculator, it will give him a serious advantage if he knows how to use it.

(I was double accelerated, so by the time I was in 11th grade I was taking Calculus. At my school Calculus was only taken if you were "advanced". Just wanted to say this if my years weren't making sense.)
ahiromu
ahiromu
September 11th, 2012 at 4:53:29 PM permalink
Alright I'm done droning on and on. If dropping another $150 in a couple of years won't be an issue (or you have younger kid who can inherit the 83+) then it isn't as bad of a deal. Just remember the 89 will bring your kid through college, I used mine through an Engineering major and a Physics minor.
ahiromu
ahiromu
September 11th, 2012 at 4:56:19 PM permalink
Ok I need to say one more thing.

It's fucking ridiculous the calculators haven't changed (in price or model) for the past 15 years. In fact, I think I paid less than what Best Buy prices are.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 11th, 2012 at 4:57:14 PM permalink

Alright I'm done droning on and on. If dropping another $150 in a couple of years won't be an issue (or you have younger kid who can inherit the 83+) then it isn't as bad of a deal. Just remember the 89 will bring your kid through college, I used mine through an Engineering major and a Physics minor.

Plus, the games are pretty fun. You just have to look a little harder to find them:)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 4:58:03 PM permalink
Thank you all for the recommendations. It appears that the TI-89 rules the day. Looks like it's going to be a couple of months of PB&J lunches for me.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 11th, 2012 at 5:07:06 PM permalink

Ok I need to say one more thing.

It's f***** ridiculous the calculators haven't changed (in price or model) for the past 15 years. In fact, I think I paid less than what Best Buy prices are.

I agree. I think the advent of the smartphones and tablets are radically changing the market. There is no upside to innovation in this market. The newest models are adding touch screens and color to become more like tablets. Not much in the way of function or value... just lipstick.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 11th, 2012 at 5:12:14 PM permalink
I paid $129 for my TI-89 when it came out. Had to drive 100 miles to get it, too:-)
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
September 11th, 2012 at 7:39:21 PM permalink
I suggest buying on eBay. You can get the TI-89 for $100 brand new with free shipping. You could probably do better if you hunt around.

When I was in high school and college, I loved my HP48SX, but in exams I would use a TI that ran on a 9 volt battery and had a 7-segment display. It didn't even have a pi button.

Newer HPs are not good and I've never heard anything good about Casio.
I heart Crystal Math.
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
September 11th, 2012 at 8:17:16 PM permalink
I would go with the HP 50g! I was shocked that nobody sugested it. Is Brazil that late? This is almost a national preference. I like it better than TI because it uses RPN! They are not expensive and easy and intuitive to use...
No bounce, no play.
kulin
kulin
  • Threads: 9
September 11th, 2012 at 9:11:43 PM permalink
You should ask the Calc teacher what he recommends.

The simple truth is that most of Trig and Calc is done by hand because of the precision it gives you and the way the problems are crafted. Some portion will require a calculator but it will be to help illustrate a point or double check your work and you should get the calculator that will make that the easiest. At the end of the day your calculator should be able to graph simple algebraic functions, multi-line, should be able to calculate in radians, and have the 6 basic trig functions. Anything else is just bells and whistles, 90% of which won't even be used.

In my experience all the recommended calculator is, is one that the teacher will teach with BUT if you don't have that one, teachers are not rich people and they fully understand that you are not rich either and will make reasonable exceptions.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
September 11th, 2012 at 9:11:53 PM permalink
Last year my son's teacher asked for TI-84+. I checked my Amazon history and I had purchased the same model two years previously for my older son, who was still using it. He just brought it to college with him, so it's still going strong since 2009.

So, basically it's perfectly fine for high school/beginning college use and hasn't become obsolete or broken in 4 years. Both cost me in the neighborhood of $100 each. Both kids got As in math.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
kulin
kulin
  • Threads: 9
September 11th, 2012 at 9:15:35 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

Last year my son's teacher asked for TI-84+. I checked my Amazon history and I had purchased the same model two years previously for my older son, who was still using it. He just brought it to college with him, so it's still going strong since 2009.

So, basically it's perfectly fine for high school/beginning college use and hasn't become obsolete or broken in 4 years. Both cost me in the neighborhood of $100 each. Both kids got As in math.

I went back to school to finish my degree a couple years ago and I had a beat up old TI 83 (not TI 83+) and it worked just fine. None of the teacher's calculator tutorials in class worked but i was able to graph and calculate trig functions and that was enough for As in Calc.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 11th, 2012 at 9:50:28 PM permalink
Back in 1980 or 81 I had the only programmable calculator in my high school (I've been a geek all my life,) so I just had to dig around the internet to see if I could find a model still out there. I found one that doesn't work, but they still want $66 on eBay: Listing (Mine was the 5100 model, but I haven't found one yet.) edit: Found some for as much as a new TI-89!! Too bad mine fell apart.

Everyone borrowed it. Then someone got the idea to program formulas in the memory so they didn't need to memorize them for the tests, which pretty much put an end to it getting shared during tests. Nowadays the calculators even solve the equations for you.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 117
September 12th, 2012 at 8:22:00 AM permalink

Back in 1980 or 81 I had the only programmable calculator in my high school (I've been a geek all my life,) so I just had to dig around the internet to see if I could find a model still out there. I found one that doesn't work, but they still want $66 on eBay: Listing (Mine was the 5100 model, but I haven't found one yet.) edit: Found some for as much as a new TI-89!! Too bad mine fell apart.

That makes two of us - in fact, I had a TI-59 in my senior year in HS (1980); I couldn't believe how TI could make a magnetic card-reading calculator for $200 while HP wanted $700 for theirs. Four years later, when my calculator's 0 and 1 keys pretty much stopped working, I realized why. (There is a story about someone who went up to an HP rep at a trade show and made a comment about how TI calculators were much less expensive, at which point the HP rep took his own calculator, threw it against a solid wall, stepped on it a few times, and then turned it on - "let's see your TI do that!".)

To be fair, HP's quality control isn't necessarily that much better; my first graphing calculator was an HP-28, and if you're familiar with them, then yes, it suffered from the battery case latch problem. My current calculator is a 48GX.

I am a little surprised the "graphing calculator of choice" isn't a low-end iPod Touch with some sort of calculator app; the only strikes against it that I can think of are, (a) there's just something "reassuring" about feeling the keypresses of actual keys, and (b) how long you can keep it turned on.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 12th, 2012 at 8:25:56 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

I am a little surprised the "graphing calculator of choice" isn't a low-end iPod Touch with some sort of calculator app; the only strikes against it that I can think of are, (a) there's just something "reassuring" about feeling the keypresses of actual keys, and (b) how long you can keep it turned on.

My guess is that the deciding factor is what kind of calculator you can take into a test. While you would think an App could easily reproduce the functions of any calculator, I doubt you could take it into a test. You don't want to be fumbling with a new machine while under time pressure.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 117
September 12th, 2012 at 8:29:35 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

My guess is that the deciding factor is what kind of calculator you can take into a test. While you would think an App could easily reproduce the functions of any calculator, I doubt you could take it into a test.

True - especially since you can't use calculators to look up the answers online. (Not yet, anyway.)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 12th, 2012 at 8:59:43 AM permalink
Thanks again for the feedback everyone. The school posts syllabi from their classes online, and looking over the one from last year, the recommendation was to get a TI-83 or 84. After hearing the generally positive feedback regarding the quality of TI's, and the utility of the 89, I think that is the way I will go. I'll be sure to check out Ebay, since the lowest price I've been able to find at a "brick and motar" so far is $134.
IdiotWheel
IdiotWheel
  • Threads: 2
September 12th, 2012 at 12:21:45 PM permalink
As a daily user of calculators, my recommendation is TI-85 or 89 USED off Ebay. I have gone through 5-6 TI-85s since I first bought bought one for highschool. The reason for so many is due to theft or loss. I am currently running an 85, and probably will continue to just because I know all the menus very well and I have all my programs in there.

But I cannot stress enough get one on ebay for a highschooler. If it gets stolen/lost/abused, you can take some solace in the fact that you can buy 2 more used ones and still be cheaper than a new one.

The only caveat is that you say a TI-83 is recommended. The 83 and 85 have nearly identical menu systems and features. (same key strokes for common tasks) I have not used an 89 and it may have slightly different or more complex menus. It would suck to have to figure out your calculator and follow the teacher. If an 89 is significantly different, I would go with the 85. (it is cheaper too by half)
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
September 12th, 2012 at 12:33:11 PM permalink
Quote: IdiotWheel

As a daily user of calculators, my recommendation is TI-85 or 89 USED off Ebay. I have gone through 5-6 TI-85s since I first bought bought one for highschool. The reason for so many is due to theft or loss. I am currently running an 85, and probably will continue to just because I know all the menus very well and I have all my programs in there.

But I cannot stress enough get one on ebay for a highschooler. If it gets stolen/lost/abused, you can take some solace in the fact that you can buy 2 more used ones and still be cheaper than a new one.

The only caveat is that you say a TI-83 is recommended. The 83 and 85 have nearly identical menu systems and features. (same key strokes for common tasks) I have not used an 89 and it may have slightly different or more complex menus. It would suck to have to figure out your calculator and follow the teacher. If an 89 is significantly different, I would go with the 85. (it is cheaper too by half)

Whichever model you decide on, have someone engrave your or your child's name into it. That should take care of misidentification issues when everyone has their calculators out at the same time and they have many of the same kind.

Abuse hasn't been an issue so far, unless you count a friend programming one to give the answer of "puta" in certain situations. Teen boys can be so witty sometimes.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 12th, 2012 at 12:42:56 PM permalink
Thanks for the tips IdiotWheel and FFV! I'm wary about buying used electronics on Ebay, after having to send some PC's back. I understand the procedures are different on the 89 vs. the 83. It is something for me to consider.

The engraving is a good idea. We have a p-touch labeler, and it works pretty good, even on stuff that goes in the microwave.

Abuse hasn't been an issue so far, unless you count a friend programming one to give the answer of "puta" in certain situations. Teen boys can be so witty sometimes.

Hehe, who can forget the significance of, "58008918"?
IdiotWheel
IdiotWheel
  • Threads: 2
September 12th, 2012 at 12:55:56 PM permalink
Resale shops like cash-converters or cash to go are also a good source. You can try it out in the store. I have gone that route.

As for engraving, my calculator used to belong to a one Adam G... Some times I wonder, did Adam just had no use for a calculator anymore or did he leave it in the cafeteria one day. Then I wonder who is using one of mine these days, or if they still are? :)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
September 12th, 2012 at 1:00:45 PM permalink
Quote: IdiotWheel

Resale shops like cash-converters or cash to go are also a good source. You can try it out in the store. I have gone that route.

As for engraving, my calculator used to belong to a one Adam G... Some times I wonder, did Adam just had no use for a calculator anymore or did he leave it in the cafeteria one day. Then I wonder who is using one of mine these days, or if they still are? :)

Hehe... Maybe it's in the desk in Ben Bernanke's office... Apparently, he needs the log function to keep track of the U.S. currency in circulation... Or not.
JohnyM
JohnyM
  • Threads: 0
February 13th, 2014 at 7:35:33 AM permalink
I've just got mine yesterday, yeeeei :D That's the great side of it. The down side is - I don't get it, at all! :(

So, is there somewhere a tutorial or something about how to use a graphing calculator?

Thanks
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
February 13th, 2014 at 10:24:54 AM permalink
The Texas Instruments website has some tutorials. Enjoy!
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
February 13th, 2014 at 12:46:22 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

My current calculator is a 48GX.

I use a 48G emulator on my android phone. Works great. Not as good as the real thing of course but at least I have it with me all the time.

Love that reverse polish notation!
  • Jump to: