onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
April 14th, 2019 at 1:52:15 AM permalink
The idea they pitch on sciency shows is if you flip a coin, you create 3 universes. I would think they already exist and what happens here and there is just coincidence they were identical for 6 billion years.
I am a robot.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
April 14th, 2019 at 8:22:34 AM permalink
Exactly - you don't "create" universes. In fact, I have a feeling that, among the "infinite" number of universes, there are an infinite number of identical universes for each of the results.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 14th, 2019 at 8:47:06 AM permalink
I once had a.math professional tell us there were billions of billions.of universes and every decision by everyone created entirely new ones. He believed the possibilities were near endless. The only possibility he claimed was impossible was a universe.where God existed.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
April 14th, 2019 at 1:49:18 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

The idea they pitch on sciency shows is if you flip a coin, you create 3 universes. I would think they already exist and what happens here and there is just coincidence they were identical for 6 billion years.

What science-based evidence are these shows using to come up with that theory?
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 296
April 14th, 2019 at 2:05:52 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

I know there is a universe in Florida

Has all types of rides
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 14th, 2019 at 3:48:22 PM permalink

The Science Officer from the Enterprise isn't enough for you?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
April 14th, 2019 at 4:00:10 PM permalink

There may be 6 or 600 or 600 billion universes, but the slots are still killing you in every one.

And alcohol makes you drunk in every one of them.

Meanwhile GoldenGreek, CenPennTraveler and Deb miss you. You were always a fountain of pertinent information on negative EV slots. Your debates over a slot being 95, 90 or 85% return were legendary.

But it’s a nice excuse. Whatever. Next drink is on me.
Last edited by: Boz on Apr 14, 2019
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 14th, 2019 at 4:45:21 PM permalink

Many real deal physicists believe the Many Worlds Explanation of quantum mechanics is the most likely to be true. Sounds cray cray to me.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 14th, 2019 at 5:47:40 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

There may be 6 or 600 or 600 billion universes, but the slots are still killing you in every one.

And alcohol makes you drunk in every one of them.

Meanwhile GoldenGreek, CenPennTraveler and Deb miss you. You were always a fountain of pertinent information on negative EV slots. Your debates over a slot being 95, 90 or 85% return were legendary.

But it’s a nice excuse. Whatever. Next drink is on me.

Get a life bro.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 15th, 2019 at 4:46:33 AM permalink

There were many of these kinds of shows on Discovery channel with people like Brian Greene and Michio Kaku and Neil Degrasse Tyson. It's physics, so there is no science.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 15th, 2019 at 10:39:11 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I once had a.math professional tell us there were billions of billions.of universes and every decision by everyone created entirely new ones. He believed the possibilities were near endless. The only possibility he claimed was impossible was a universe.where God existed.

That's interesting, we can't comprehend the complexities. Anything is possible, even things that defy logic. For all we know, universes bound by logic are the minorities, in terms of infinite itself, this doesn't make sense either. Totally getting to the point of uselessness already, but there could be some conflicting possibilities, if contradictions of universes are popping into existence and disappearing at the same time. Mind blown.

Even time itself seems contradictory, we think of time as being the same everywhere, but it's not true, and different parts of the universe are said to not be happening at the same time based on distance and direction of travel, which is totally amazing to me, because you can have our time here, and the time in a distant part of the universe millions of years ago, happening at the same time. Mind blown.

To say it's impossible for their to be a universe where God existed, I'm thinking it's true, because my theory is God can only be outside of the universe he controls to have complete control and not be affected by his own rules and laws. Maybe God can exist withing a universe, but only in a universe where only he exists. Then once you have your God universe, then you have your Zeus and Satan universes, and there are contradictions again, maybe explained by them having only knowledge and power of their own domain in that universe, but then we have an apparent contradiction, because the universes are infinite, Mind blown.
I am a robot.
TomG
TomG
April 15th, 2019 at 11:10:12 AM permalink

There were many of these kinds of shows on Discovery channel with people like Brian Greene and Michio Kaku and Neil Degrasse Tyson. It's physics, so there is no science.

So the science that these shows were using was that they were science shows. That explains a lot.

"It's physics, so there is no science." I love it
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 15th, 2019 at 11:18:47 AM permalink

So the science that these shows were using was that they were science shows. That explains a lot.

I know it's kind of a joke, but it's kind of not. Physicists can be the rock stars of science, some of the things they talk about are very much like religion, and are just as dependable.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alternate+universes+stories
I am a robot.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
April 15th, 2019 at 11:29:35 AM permalink

I know it's kind of a joke, but it's kind of not. Physicists can be the rock stars of science, some of the things they talk about are very much like religion, and are just as dependable.

You're confusing "physics" with "theoretical physics."

Physics is very much real and scientific.

Theoretical physics deals with possibilities based on real science.
TomG
TomG
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
April 15th, 2019 at 11:30:12 AM permalink

I watched the minutephysics one. He makes a great point: most of these theories are philosophy, not science
  • Jump to: