10 votes (23.8%)
4 votes (9.52%)

42 members have voted

AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 15th, 2013 at 1:36:09 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Sure it does. It means 'drives like a sports car to me'.
Why would I like it to 'drive like a sports car
to you.' I'm not you, thats impossible. For some
reason, you just can't seem to grasp that your
experience isn't everybody else's experience. Feelings
and tastes are subjective, not written in stone. I bet
pizza and expensive wine tastes different to me than
it does you. Uh Oh....

Bob: learn English. Seriously. "Drives like a sports car" means that it drives similar to some sports car. Not that it drives better than some rusted out shell of a car that is up on blocks on your lawn. There is nothing about feelings or tastes here.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 15th, 2013 at 9:36:46 AM permalink
And now for something completely different....

Wizard, given that the leading vote getter is a brand under the Towbin umbrella, are you considering a negotiation with,"Chopper, The King of Cars"?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
iluvdisco33
iluvdisco33
  • Threads: 1
January 15th, 2013 at 10:27:11 AM permalink
Hey car guys, I test drove an M3, then test drove an R-Spec, and the Hyundai felt more like a sports car than the over-priced, over-hyped BMW. I didn't drive the turbo Sonata (only the regular one) but if it's built anything like the Genesis, then Bob has every right to say it feels like or drives like a sports car to him.
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
January 15th, 2013 at 10:37:59 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I've tried to convince my wife that the Infinity is the better car than the Mercedes and costs $20,000 less. She seems to agree. However, just the Mercedes name is worth $20,000 to her. I isn't worth jack squat to me. The question comes to down to whether it is worth wasting spending $20,000 to make Mrs. Wizard happy and buy some sorely-needed husbanding points.

About leasing, I've never done it. We drive a lot less than the average couple, so it would seem like we are not getting out money's worth. I could see it making sense to somebody who drives a lot, assuming unlimited milage.

How about spending 20k for a second trip where they can actually go on it? :)

I've never driven any of those. I've rode in many BMWs, but all of them have been leased. It always seemed like a car that had status in the name should be fairly new at all times. I don't really care if someone is driving a 2007 BMW.

You always have the option of buying the car at the end of the lease if you feel it will be worth more due to low amounts of driving. I never thought they made any sense for people who drove a lot since it seemed rare to be able to even get an unlimited mileage lease. I don't lease because I want my car for more than 4-5 years. I want those years where I'm making no payment. For someone who cares about status though, it seems you would need to either lease or buy/sell a new car every 3-4 years.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 15th, 2013 at 10:48:14 AM permalink
Quote: iluvdisco33

Hey car guys, I test drove an M3, then test drove an R-Spec, and the Hyundai felt more like a sports car than the over-priced, over-hyped BMW. I didn't drive the turbo Sonata (only the regular one) but if it's built anything like the Genesis, then Bob has every right to say it feels like or drives like a sports car to him.

So, your claim is that one sports car feels more like a sports car than another sports car, so bob has a right to claim that a non-sports car feels like a sports car? I'm dizzy...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 15th, 2013 at 11:11:13 AM permalink
Quote: P90

I don't see it. Sonata is 7.7 and Mustang V6, most basic model, is 5.3 seconds. That's 2.4 seconds, or, more importantly, 45%. Other specs are similarly quite far apart. It might not be a slouch, but it can't touch even the most basic Mustang.

Also, Mustang is a pony car, or a muscle car; not a sports car. If you were to call it iconic, you'd also have to remember that for American muscle cars only V8 counts, any V6 version is basically a shell.

+1 and I'd like to add an old adage, "thats about as useless as a Mustang with single exhaust", a phrase meaning brand alone does not satisfy performance.
To me there are three types of "sporty" cars.... Performance, Sport, Rallye. Each group has its own necessities for their purpose. I really don't know what word to use with classic class-limited thrash'em around the track all souped up cars like the Austin Mini. I mean those cars could scare the crap outta you even with TC 1.3L, flyin around corners on two wheels.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 15th, 2013 at 11:28:09 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

"Drives like a sports car" means that it drives similar to some sports car. .

This thread is getting hilarious. You must really think
you're hot stuff because you drive a stupid sports car.
Your delicate sensibilities get all in a huff because
somebody has the audacity to say a non sports car
feels like a sports car to them. Please give me another
lecture on how your opinion is the only one that
matters, I can't get enough if that..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 15th, 2013 at 1:29:52 PM permalink

This thread is getting hilarious. You must really think
you're hot stuff because you drive a stupid sports car.
Your delicate sensibilities get all in a huff because
somebody has the audacity to say a non sports car
feels like a sports car to them. Please give me another
lecture on how your opinion is the only one that
matters, I can't get enough if that..

Actually I am getting quite a bit of enjoyment out of watching you backpedal. First you say that it "drives like a sports car". When it becomes clear that you are wrong, you rephrase to "it drives like a sports car to me". When asked to translate that to English, you say that it drives more like a sports car than your 10 year old broken down station wagon.

Funny stuff.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 15th, 2013 at 1:41:27 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Wizard, given that the leading vote getter is a brand under the Towbin umbrella, are you considering a negotiation with,"Chopper, The King of Cars"?

I'd be happy to, but I doubt he can be bothered with individual sales to nobodys like me. The way I prefer to buy a car is look up the dealer invoice cost and offer $x above that. Maybe I should make a separate topic out of this, but what should $x be? I tend think about 2% of the invoice price, but maybe that is too high. It is my understanding the dealership makes a profit even at dealer invoice through hidden incentives.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 15th, 2013 at 1:54:19 PM permalink

you rephrase to "it drives like a sports car to me"..

Who was driving? Me. Who did it feel like a sports car
to? Me. Duh...
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 15th, 2013 at 2:04:08 PM permalink

Quote: Ayecarumba

I'd be happy to, but I doubt he can be bothered with individual sales to nobodys like me. The way I prefer to buy a car is look up the dealer invoice cost and offer $x above that. Maybe I should make a separate topic out of this, but what should $x be? I tend think about 2% of the invoice price, but maybe that is too high. It is my understanding the dealership makes a profit even at dealer invoice through hidden incentives.

This mostly depends on the type of car you are getting. If you are buying an econobox you may be able to get it at or under invoice (as you point out, the dealer still makes a profit). If you are buying a car that is rare and highly sought after, you will be lucky to get it at MSRP. It's all about supply and demand, just like anything else you want to buy.

I would suggest looking at truecar.com. For example, here is their page on the 2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan:

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/infiniti/g37-sedan-pricing/

If you click on the "national sales" tab, you will see that this car can be bought for $1k to $2k below invoice.

However, if you were buying a GT-R: http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/nissan/gt-r-pricing/

You would see that not only do they sell for well above invoice, they sell for well above MSRP.

So, really, there is no way to answer your question until you decide on a car -- it varies too much.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 15th, 2013 at 2:09:36 PM permalink

Who was driving? Me. Who did it feel like a sports car
to? Me. Duh...

Yes but you don't know how a sports car drives. That's the funny part. You may as well claim that it feels exactly like floating through Jupiter's atmosphere.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
January 19th, 2013 at 12:55:41 AM permalink

Thanks again for all the many comments. About leasing, I tend to hold onto a car for about eight years, so am not the type to need to be in a late-model car all the time. The one I'm replacing is a 2004 model.

I really like the suggestion about buying a $25K car and giving my wife $20K to do with what she pleases. As has been pointed out, the Infinity is a glofied Nissan, and Lexas a glorified Toyota. Personally, I don't need all the extra bells and whistles. I just want to get to point B in relative comfort, not break down on the way, and not put my mechanic's kids through Stanford. My other car, a Highlander has features I have never touched, like Bluetooth, which I'm too lazy to figure out how to use, or the rear view camera. I can look over my shoulder myself, thank you very much.

Maybe our next visit we'll check out the Camry, and to humor her, the BMW 328. Then I'll suggest the Camery + 20K idea. I'll keep you posted.

I just saw this ad on one of your local papers....lease for a BMW 328 and said to myself I wish I could get a lease rate like that here in Canada. Correct me if I am wrong.... a self employed person in the United States can write off the lease of a car for the business? So little down and less than $5000 a year in payments for a $40,000 car. and being able to write it off at tax time...sounds like a deal to me

http://www.desertbmwofhenderson.com/?http://bmwdynamicportal.williams-forrest.com/Offers/DealerLeaseOffers/2644301
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 19th, 2013 at 5:07:09 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

I just saw this ad on one of your local papers....lease for a BMW 328 and said to myself I wish I could get a lease rate like that here in Canada. Correct me if I am wrong.... a self employed person in the United States can write off the lease of a car for the business? So little down and less than $5000 a year in payments for a $40,000 car. and being able to write it off at tax time...sounds like a deal to me

http://www.desertbmwofhenderson.com/?http://bmwdynamicportal.williams-forrest.com/Offers/DealerLeaseOffers/2644301

The write off thing is not so easy. If audited you will have to show proof that it was used for business, and not personal use. You CANNOT use the miles driving from your home to a place of business as a business expense. If you are required to drive from the initial place you go to work, to another place, then those miles are deductible. I have to do that around two or three times a month. So you need to keep a log for those miles, and the IRS gives you an exact amount of money per mile you can deduct. I think it is around 55 cents per mile now, but that is why I have an accountant. My deduction ends up being only a few hundred dollars a year.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 19th, 2013 at 6:32:37 AM permalink

I would suggest looking at truecar.com. For example, here is their page on the 2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan:

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/infiniti/g37-sedan-pricing/

Thanks! That is a really good site. I never knew about it. One thing working against me is that there isn't a lot of competition in Vegas. Any given brand will have one or two dealerships in the whole city.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 19th, 2013 at 7:54:20 AM permalink

Thanks! That is a really good site. I never knew about it. One thing working against me is that there isn't a lot of competition in Vegas. Any given brand will have one or two dealerships in the whole city.

Once you have identified the car you want and the applicable options, I would recommend Truecar.com to get quotes from dealers. They didn't have any BMW dealerships in Las Vegas but I marked L.A. as my area and received nine different quotes for my car. I was surprised how much they varied, some were $5000 more than the others. The dealership I went with was $4000 less than the local Las Vegas dealerships offered (there are two in Vegas but they are owned by the same company and they won't compete on price).

I completed most of my transaction with a dealership in L.A. through email and never spoke to anyone until the day I went to L.A. to pick it up. I was very happy with how the whole process went and I saved $4000 over buying it locally.

If there are any questions you have about the Infiniti that you can't get answered, I used to date a lady that runs the parts and service for Ininfiti of Thousand Oaks. I'm sure she would help out.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 19th, 2013 at 8:34:19 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I completed most of my transaction with a dealership in L.A. through email and never spoke to anyone until the day I went to L.A. to pick it up.

That brings up the question of the applicable sales taxes if you buy a car in California and then try to title it in Nevada.

When I last bought a car, in 2008, I seriously considered buying it in sales-tax-free Oregon and driving it to Vegas and title it here. I don't recall all the details, but my conclusion is that I couldn't escape sales tax legally. When I moved here from Maryland I didn't have to pay sales tax on my two cars I came with. I know a guy who went to LA to buy a Maserati because he couldn't get a good price in Vegas and I think he paid sales tax only in one state, I think Nevada.

So, do you know the applicable laws to this situation?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
January 19th, 2013 at 9:50:43 AM permalink
Quote: TheNightfly

Nice family you got there Bob. What's it like being wrong all the time?

After this election cycle, he's comfortable with it.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
January 19th, 2013 at 9:52:45 AM permalink

That brings up the question of the applicable sales taxes if you buy a car in California and then try to title it in Nevada.

When I last bought a car, in 2008, I seriously considered buying it in sales-tax-free Oregon and driving it to Vegas and title it here. I don't recall all the details, but my conclusion is that I couldn't escape sales tax legally. When I moved here from Maryland I didn't have to pay sales tax on my two cars I came with. I know a guy who went to LA to buy a Maserati because he couldn't get a good price in Vegas and I think he paid sales tax only in one state, I think Nevada.

In New York, you have to pay the taxes as if you bought it in New York. Fortunately, the taxes on Studebakers in New York is pretty low.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 19th, 2013 at 12:32:41 PM permalink

The sales tax is paid when the vehicle is registered and is paid to the state that it's registered in. I can't speak for all 50 states but I'd be surprised if there were any exceptions.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
DRich
DRich
January 19th, 2013 at 12:42:05 PM permalink

Yes, if you buy the car in California they will not charge sales tax but it will be collected when you register it in Nevada. The best scenario is to buy it and register it in Utah. No sales tax and once it has been registered Nevada won't charge sales tax.
iluvdisco33
iluvdisco33
January 19th, 2013 at 2:31:49 PM permalink

Yes, if you buy the car in California they will not charge sales tax but it will be collected when you register it in Nevada. The best scenario is to buy it and register it in Utah. No sales tax and once it has been registered Nevada won't charge sales tax.

Not so. When you register a car you bought in another state in Nevada, they will ask you to show proof that you paid the sales tax in the purchasing state, and if that amount you paid is less than what the sales tax would have been had you bought it in the Nevada location you're registering it in, they require you pay them the difference.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
January 19th, 2013 at 3:40:59 PM permalink

Not so. When you register a car you bought in another state in Nevada, they will ask you to show proof that you paid the sales tax in the purchasing state, and if that amount you paid is less than what the sales tax would have been had you bought it in the Nevada location you're registering it in, they require you pay them the difference.

Is there a time limit on that? If I buy a car in Delaware (no sales tax) and live in Delaware for 8 months, then move to NV and register the car in NV after I move, do I owe sales tax in NV?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
iluvdisco33
iluvdisco33
January 19th, 2013 at 3:47:43 PM permalink
If it's first registered in Delaware and you move to Nevada, you are required to show them the bill of sale upon registering as well as surrendering your Delaware plates. I don't exactly know, but I presume you're showing them the bill of sale so they can determine if and how much sales tax was initially paid, and I expect they will collect the difference between what you originally paid (zero in your case) and what Nevada charges. A call to Nevada DMV should clear that up but I think I am correct.
DRich
DRich
January 19th, 2013 at 4:05:13 PM permalink

If it's first registered in Delaware and you move to Nevada, you are required to show them the bill of sale upon registering as well as surrendering your Delaware plates. I don't exactly know, but I presume you're showing them the bill of sale so they can determine if and how much sales tax was initially paid, and I expect they will collect the difference between what you originally paid (zero in your case) and what Nevada charges. A call to Nevada DMV should clear that up but I think I am correct.

I was never required to show a bill of sale in Nevada if the car was already registered in my name in another state.
iluvdisco33
iluvdisco33
January 19th, 2013 at 4:33:17 PM permalink

I was never required to show a bill of sale in Nevada if the car was already registered in my name in another state.

I was, and the Nevada website, which I just now read, says it is a requirement. Maybe the DMV wizard you had just didn't know.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
January 19th, 2013 at 4:40:48 PM permalink

I was, and the Nevada website, which I just now read, says it is a requirement. Maybe the DMV wizard you had just didn't know.

Time just has to be a factor, doesn't it? If years go by after the purchase and before the Nevada registration, Nevada can't possibly force someone to pay the full value of their would-be sales tax.
DRich
DRich
January 19th, 2013 at 9:24:47 PM permalink
Trust me, I have lived in Nevada for 20 years and have registered at least 6 cars from out of state and was never required to produce a bill of sale if they were registered in my name in another state.

Do you really think evrey car that comes in from out of state requires a bill of sale? I would guess at least 20% of cars registered here came from out of state and almost none would have a bill of sale. The key is to have it registered in another state in your name. If you don't, it will be considered a new sale and will require the payment of sales taxes.

I have rented apartments in St. George Utah to establish residency and register a car and avoid $4500 in sales taxes in Nevada.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 20th, 2013 at 5:34:28 AM permalink

Trust me, I have lived in Nevada for 20 years and have registered at least 6 cars from out of state and was never required to produce a bill of sale if they were registered in my name in another state.

When I moved here in 2001 they never asked for one.

Quote:

I have rented apartments in St. George Utah to establish residency and register a car and avoid $4500 in sales taxes in Nevada.

Did you keep the cars permanently registered in Utah, or did you ever switch them to Nevada? When I lived in Indiana I recall the state grumbling about residents registering their cars in Kentucky, to avoid the higher Indiana registration taxes.
DRich
DRich
January 21st, 2013 at 7:37:21 AM permalink

Did you keep the cars permanently registered in Utah, or did you ever switch them to Nevada? When I lived in Indiana I recall the state grumbling about residents registering their cars in Kentucky, to avoid the higher Indiana registration taxes.

No, I would register them in Nevada after the first year or whenever the Utah registration expired.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
January 21st, 2013 at 7:42:38 AM permalink

to avoid the higher Indiana registration taxes.

I can't believe how big those differences can be. My old car cost $290 to renew in MN in October. My new car cost $30 to register in PA in January.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
January 21st, 2013 at 7:48:47 AM permalink
Just be sure you aren't being tricked by the timing. When I lived in Georgia, all of the annual fees were paid with the registration/tag. Now that I live in North Carolina, the tag renewal fees are quite low, but six months before/after that, I have to pay the property taxes, which are the much bigger expense. Unless there is a record that the taxes have been paid, the registration renewal will not be approved.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 21st, 2013 at 7:56:04 AM permalink
A lot of the cars flooded by Sandy will be driven or towed to a Southern state and retitled so that the title will not show they were salvaged. Then taken back to NY for sale.

Nothing new there. In the 50's my Dad drove a cab. Seat covers, trim, etc were all removed from new cab. After 2 or 300,000 miles,
cabs were repainted, retitled, and looked like new. Back then speedometers just rolled over and were easy to reset if need be. So some poor chump would buy a 2 year old cab , tricked out to look like low mileage and cherry car.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
DRich
DRich
April 2nd, 2013 at 9:17:03 AM permalink
Wizard, did you and the wife ever make a final decision on a new car? I know in my case my wife would end up with whatever she wanted no matter how much I pontificated about the practical aspects of the other cars.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 2nd, 2013 at 11:09:39 AM permalink

Wizard, did you and the wife ever make a final decision on a new car? I know in my case my wife would end up with whatever she wanted no matter how much I pontificated about the practical aspects of the other cars.

Thanks for asking. I think I'm going to cave and get a late-model BMW or Mercedes at a future car auction. However, given the nature of my current financial crisis (see my last blog entry), any big purchases are definitely on hold.
  • Jump to: