Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 6th, 2012 at 8:06:25 AM permalink
Given my expereinces with a laptop and Wi-Fi in Vegas a well as other trips, I'm thinking about getting a tablet instead.

The way I see it a tablet is mroe convenient for web browsing in public places, and far easier to carry around. and if I wnat to do some serious work on it, I can get the matching keyboard.

I had a chance to use an ipad last year. I even wrote a little using the touchscreen keyboard (not good for serious work). It's ok, as far as it goes, but I can't quite get used to the Apple OS, and I udnerstand it lacks both Flash capability and a USB port. The latter would be more convenient, since I could move docuemtns around without either hooking up the tablet to a PC, or downloading it from somewhere else. Besides, for work some documetns are too sensitive for emial or "the cloud."

I did not see whether it had an SD card slot, though, and that could work nearly as well as a USB port. I'd just need to get a card reader for my work PC (I ahve one built-in for the lap top and my home PC).

Any advice? I would need WiFi capability, but I think that's pretty standard, and built-in RAM isn't much of an issue if I can use either a thumb drive or an SD card for files and such. GPS would also be a plus.

Thanks
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 6th, 2012 at 8:08:51 AM permalink
The iPad doesn't have SD card input either. You can get very nice cases for them that include a blue-tooth keyboard.

I've played with a Samsung Galaxy 101, and was relatively impressed. But otherwise, I have no recommendations... I use a nook as a mobile tablet/ereader/browser, but don't think it will cover your requirements.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
June 6th, 2012 at 8:14:23 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

The iPad doesn't have SD card input either.

Now you have me wondering why not. Is there an easier way to transfer pics from a camera?

Quote:

I use a nook as a mobile tablet/ereader/browser, but don't think it will cover your requirements.

Well, for work I'd need it to be able to run Word and Excell, or compatible versions of each, and to be able to display PDF files. For my own use, web browsing and Word would be enough.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
June 6th, 2012 at 9:46:10 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Now you have me wondering why not. Is there an easier way to transfer pics from a camera?

The idea (apple's, not mine :)) is that you don't need a camera (or a PC for that matter) to begin with. Just shoot pics with your iPhone, and send them straight to iCloud.

iPad does have a usb port btw, but you need iTunes to use it (can't just treat it as an attached disk, like normal, not "i-" devices).

Get an android tablet instead. They have both an sd card slot and a normal, usable usb (plus other semi-useful thinngs, like HDMI outputs etc). Beware of the cheap ones - the hardware can be really crappy. Samsung and Toshibas are pretty good. I am guessing, you want a 10" screen - anything smaller than that is hardly any replacement for a laptop.
Look for models that are running Android 4.0 - that will save you a headache of having to upgrade for at least a few years. They usually come in a few modifications with varying amounts of built in memory. Get the lowest one - they are significantly cheaper, and you can always put in a huge SD card if you need to expand.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
thecesspit
thecesspit
June 6th, 2012 at 10:00:24 AM permalink

You plug it in via the data port and sync it all up. Very easy, if you use the entire Apple tower. But lets face it, that's the same method I use to sync my camera to my PC... I plug it in, it all syncs into Picasa with a couple of mouse clicks.

Quote:

Well, for work I'd need it to be able to run Word and Excell, or compatible versions of each, and to be able to display PDF files. For my own use, web browsing and Word would be enough.

Needing Word/Excel compatibility will limit your options. iPad does have a very nice Word document thingy... my friend does all her school work on it. I've not seen an excel compatible spreadsheet worth using that was not Excel... but I use Excel for some relatively hardcore math/analysis, rather than just as a straight table/account tool.

Displaying PDFs is pretty standard on everything.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 6th, 2012 at 10:20:14 AM permalink
I have an 8" Motorola Xyboard. I've been pretty impressed with it since I bought it. The battery holds up well, wifi reception is strong and consistent, and the screen is not too sensitive. I do usually use a stylus, so that there aren't smudges on the screen all the time.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
June 6th, 2012 at 10:25:48 AM permalink

You plug it in via the data port and sync it all up. Very easy, if you use the entire Apple tower. But lets face it, that's the same method I use to sync my camera to my PC... I plug it in, it all syncs into Picasa with a couple of mouse clicks.

I insert the SD card to my PC and edit some of the photos before uplaoding them...

But while on a business trip, I can't sync the tablet to a PC at an itnernet cafe or Office Depot. I can insert an SD card or a thumb drive. Especially if I need to print a document or a photo, which does happen often. On vacation I don't really need to print anything.

Quote:

Needing Word/Excel compatibility will limit your options.

I thought as much. but we do 99% of our work on Word and Excel.
Nareed
Nareed
June 6th, 2012 at 10:27:08 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Look for models that are running Android 4.0 - that will save you a headache of having to upgrade for at least a few years. They usually come in a few modifications with varying amounts of built in memory. Get the lowest one - they are significantly cheaper, and you can always put in a huge SD card if you need to expand.

Thanks. I am well acquainted with Toshiba.
Nareed
Nareed
June 6th, 2012 at 10:51:04 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I have an 8" Motorola Xyboard. I've been pretty impressed with it since I bought it. The battery holds up well, wifi reception is strong and consistent, and the screen is not too sensitive. I do usually use a stylus, so that there aren't smudges on the screen all the time.

The word "stylus" did grab my attention. Does one come with the tablet or do you need to get it separately? It would be great, too, in some circumstances, like if you needed to use the thing while having lunch, or while cooking.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
June 6th, 2012 at 10:59:41 AM permalink

The way I see it a tablet is mroe convenient for web browsing in public places, and far easier to carry around. and if I wnat to do some serious work on it, I can get the matching keyboard.

Sounds like you're looking for Asus Transformer Prime with Android 4.0. Can be 3.2, easily updated.
It's is quite pricey, but worth the cost, since it's the best one in its class.

As an aside, don't be too eager to skimp on built-in memory. SD cards work, but the extension isn't quite as direct, it can increase boot times and power consumption (negligibly though), and may produce minor inconveniences. That said, don't overpay either. I'd say that if the premium for extra onboard NAND is between <1x and 1.5x the cost of same SD capacity, definitely get more built-in; between 1.5x and 2x, only do it if you know you're going to use it; above 2x, just get a SD card when needed.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 6th, 2012 at 11:02:28 AM permalink

The word "stylus" did grab my attention. Does one come with the tablet or do you need to get it separately? It would be great, too, in some circumstances, like if you needed to use the thing while having lunch, or while cooking.

Some come with a stylus. I think the 10.1" Samsung Galaxy does, maybe the larger Xyboard does as well. They're also available separately. I bought mine separately at Best Buy, and it was about $18. I'm used to rigid styli for resistive screens (like signing for a credit card transaction). The tablet stylus has a soft tip to work with the capacitive screen, and that did take some getting used to.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
June 6th, 2012 at 11:36:05 AM permalink
Quote: P90

Sounds like you're looking for Asus Transformer Prime with Android 4.0. Can be 3.2, easily updated.

Thanks.

I'm actually looking to spend as little as possible. So that rules out the better models. I've considered buying one used, even, when there's an upgrade, but that's a last resort given the probelms with used electronics. The thing is that I travel for pleasure once a year, and for business infrequently.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 8th, 2012 at 12:42:04 PM permalink
I think iPad is the best.

I am cheap so I got a Kindle Fire for $139. It does everything the iPad does, but is smaller. (It also has no camera.) I like it a lot.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
June 8th, 2012 at 12:43:31 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I am cheap so I got a Kindle Fire for $139. It does everything the iPad does, but is smaller. I like it a lot.

Can you run Word/Excel compatible programs on it and view PDF files?
thecesspit
thecesspit
June 8th, 2012 at 1:00:00 PM permalink
Having had a quick look around, you can probably get Quick office pro for both Kindle and the Nook. It allows you to read and write Office apps. I'd find a 7" screen a tad small, but your mileage may vary.

Kindle does support .pdf files, but only just : http://ireaderreview.com/2008/01/18/how-to-view-pdf-files-on-the-kindle/

I don't think the Kindle meets your requirements... it's an e-reader with some browsing/apps. Same with the Nook. If you only needed it for browsing and reading various documents and some light note taking, I think you'd be golden.
tupp
tupp
  • Threads: 3
June 8th, 2012 at 1:35:50 PM permalink

Can you run Word/Excel compatible programs on it and view PDF files?

It appears that several Kindle apps can read/write Word/Excel files and view PDFs.

Or, you can "root" a Kindle and convert it into a full-blown Android tablet.
Nareed
Nareed
June 8th, 2012 at 2:00:51 PM permalink

I don't think the Kindle meets your requirements... it's an e-reader with some browsing/apps. Same with the Nook. If you only needed it for browsing and reading various documents and some light note taking, I think you'd be golden.

Mostly I'd use it to browse the web, post here and snwer email, and likely on ocassion to do some work on Word and Excel. I might write short pieces on it, too.

Tupp: I'm wary of voiding the warranty, but I appreciate the information.
Nareed
Nareed
June 20th, 2012 at 12:00:37 PM permalink
I think I'm in love.
MauiSunset
MauiSunset
  • Threads: 4
June 20th, 2012 at 12:45:47 PM permalink
I just bought the Samsung Galaxy 2 - 7" tablet at CostCo and love the thing. It has a dual-core processor and as fast as my HP laptop with a dual core too.

It's small enough for 1 hand operation and big enough to read documents with no problems.

I can do everything my HP notebook does but I'm waiting for a cord that takes the 30-pin plug and has a USB female jack which I can then use a normal USB to micro USB cord and plug into my Android phone to get internet access.

I've used PdaNet App on my Android phone and HP Laptop for years to get free internet access - they just came out with a PdaNet for Android tablets and as soon as I get my cable I hope to have the tablet tethered to my phone and free internet.

As soon as I powered up the Galaxy for the first time and entered my primary Gmail account all 95 Apps from my cell phone instantly came over, as did all my contacts. My Galaxy and cell phone are synced including all passwords and book marks.

I put most of my data on my DropBox Cloud which you get a 50 GB account for free. I use aTorrent and download free movies to the cloud and watch a movie anytime I want.

I highly recommend the Galaxy..............
MauiSunset
MauiSunset
June 21st, 2012 at 2:27:12 PM permalink
I just got my cable today - seems I don't need it. PdaNet for tablets has gone to using WiFi or Blue Tooth Hot Spots that it can create on a cell phone. So I now have free internet access via Blue Tooth to my Galaxy and am not tied to WiFi anymore.

Woo Hoo..................
only1choice
only1choice
  • Threads: 59
June 21st, 2012 at 2:32:25 PM permalink

I think I'm in love.

Wow what a machine. Let see if they can make dent in apple sales.
IF YOU PLAY "PLAY TO WIN"
Nareed
Nareed
June 21st, 2012 at 2:39:35 PM permalink
Quote: only1choice

Wow what a machine. Let see if they can make dent in apple sales.

I'm rethingking that. It looks great, I love the idea of an integrated keyboard, and it does seem to have a USB port.

But the early reviews are a bit conrtadictory. One in particular states the likley cheap version, which would run the mobile Windows OS, wouldn't be able to run prior Windows software. that would give us a Windows tablet that doesn't run Windows! And that's just absurd enough to be some high executive's bright idea.

It's also obvious enough to sink the whole venture, so I don't know.

In any case, I don't expect to seriously consider a tablet until, oh, January at the earliest.
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
June 21st, 2012 at 2:39:41 PM permalink

I think I'm in love.

If you don't want to wait, I would suggest http://eee.asus.com/en/eeepad/transformer-300/features/

There is also the Prime which I would suggest against if you will be commonly working in hotels. The wifi on the prime is not very strong. The pad has a non metal back I believe.

I have the prime, I love the tablet itself. I don't use the keyboard as often as I thought I would, but it is very useful as a stand/extra battery/screen protector when traveling. I just can't get used to typing on a netbook size keyboard.

I'm expecting the windows device that you just linked to be $600 for the lowest memory model, $700 for $32 GB, and then $100-$150 for the case. They said it would be comparable to other windows ultrabooks and not other tablets. The cheapest ultrabook out there right now I think is $800.
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
June 21st, 2012 at 2:46:22 PM permalink

I'm rethingking that. It looks great, I love the idea of an integrated keyboard, and it does seem to have a USB port.

But the early reviews are a bit conrtadictory. One in particular states the likley cheap version, which would run the mobile Windows OS, wouldn't be able to run prior Windows software. that would give us a Windows tablet that doesn't run Windows! And that's just absurd enough to be some high executive's bright idea.

It's also obvious enough to sink the whole venture, so I don't know.

In any case, I don't expect to seriously consider a tablet until, oh, January at the earliest.

It is 100% correct that the first versions of this won't be able to run old software. It is possible there will never be a tablet that runs this as well. It would require an intel based tablet(immediately pumping the price up due to intel) that runs the full version of Windows 8. Noone has even announced this is in production.

Microsoft is expecting the new windows tablets to only run brand new windows mobile apps(not new windows 8 apps). The same application you buy for your brand new Windows 8 laptop/desktop will NOT run on your brand new windows 8 arm tablet. Now some companies may put out both. That doesn't mean they won't charge you twice for the app. :)

I would love a seemless experience going from my desktop to a tablet. I want everything to just sync, and be in both places. I'm not expecting microsoft to get this right, but I'm catiously optimistic that they can surprise me.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
June 21st, 2012 at 6:05:24 PM permalink
I disagree with WiFi ONLY internet connections. The gateway is of unknown security. The ideal security may not be in use, or no security at all. How many AMAZON shoppers buy on WiFi connections? Just a matter of time if you do.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
P90
P90
June 21st, 2012 at 7:55:50 PM permalink

But the early reviews are a bit conrtadictory. One in particular states the likley cheap version, which would run the mobile Windows OS, wouldn't be able to run prior Windows software. that would give us a Windows tablet that doesn't run Windows!

It's not Windows Mobile they'll be running. Win8 will come in two versions: x86 and ARM. Tablets and anything with ARM processors runs the ARM version, only AMD and Intel CPU can run the x86 version. The latter x86 CPU consume more power, making them less suited to an ultra-thin tablet.

It's still Windows, and Microsoft hopes to make sure most new software is available for both ARM and x86. It's not hard, really, since a lot of the API is the same, the programmer just has to run the compiler twice, once for x86, once for ARM. But it means that current Windows software won't work, so you can't run games and such on it.
The x86 version will run most everything.

Quote: soulhunt79

It is possible there will never be a tablet that runs this as well. It would require an intel based tablet(immediately pumping the price up due to intel) that runs the full version of Windows 8.

AMD Fusion CPU are actually better suited to mobile platforms, thanks to better graphics, and they're cheaper. But still not as cheap as ARM CPU, and they do consume a lot more power than ARM and a bit more than Intel.

There are Intel and AMD based tablets on the market that run full Windows 7, but you don't want them. Really don't, they're expensive and heavy. Mostly used by doctors, technicians, etc., professional applications.
There was Archon 9 for consumer market a few years ago (before the first ipad) with Windows 7, it's obviously obsolete by now.

If Surface Pro has Ivy Bridge, which is an x86 CPU, it should be a much more modern and usable replacement. Running everything legacy.

Microsoft is expecting the new windows tablets to only run brand new windows mobile apps(not new windows 8 apps).

Nope, they still are Windows 8 apps. Anything developed by MS and its partners will almost certainly have both versions. Office software, most generic software from big companies. But only things made with tablets in mind, you still won't have hardcore gaming or CAE software there. Especially with the Pro version taking that market.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
June 21st, 2012 at 8:33:40 PM permalink

I think I'm in love.

If you don't want to wait, I would suggest http://eee.asus.com/en/eeepad/transformer-300/features/

There is also the Prime which I would suggest against if you will be commonly working in hotels. The wifi on the prime is not very strong. The pad has a non metal back I believe.

The new prime (700) is supposedly coming out shortly which will fix the WiFi radio issues. It also has a full-HD screen. What I *really* want is the PadFone, or a device similar to it, and I'm hoping the chances of that happening in the US improved with next week's Verizon data plan overhaul.

Drool here:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/257543/verizon_share_everything_plan_could_boost_asus_padfone.html
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
P90
P90
June 21st, 2012 at 9:32:05 PM permalink
I somehow doubt anyone paying $40+$50 per month for a 1GB plan is going to pick their device based on its price-performance ratio or economic sensibility...
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
June 22nd, 2012 at 3:40:18 AM permalink

I somehow doubt anyone paying $40+$50 per month for a 1GB plan is going to pick their device based on its price-performance ratio or economic sensibility...

Of course not. People who care about that stuff will never buy a tablet with 4g ability to begin with. They'll just root their phone and thether through it.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
MauiSunset
MauiSunset
June 22nd, 2012 at 4:51:59 AM permalink
Yesterday was the first day I took my Galaxy 2 7" with me during the day as I traveled around - I now have 24/7 access to the internet via Blue Tooth to my Sprint EVO 3D in my pocket. Best of all, the 4G gives me 4 MB download and it's free - I even listened to Pandora on my Blue Tooth head phones. I'm a Blue Tooth guy now.

It was fantastic.

No more hunting around for hot spots, no more not sitting in traffic and wishing I could read my eMail and service my clients then and there.

I now have that freedom of my own Blue Tooth hot-spot that travels with my cell phone and me.

I even have a Blue Tooth keyboard in my tablet case and can use a keyboard to type in lengthy replies.

What will they think of next????
Nareed
Nareed
January 24th, 2013 at 10:46:48 AM permalink

Actually I saw one today in the weekly Best Buy flier. it looks very good, and I like most of what specs I'm reading about online. But it is rather pricey. I want to try one live, and chances are good I'd get one as soon as this week. If I do, I'd ahve to forego replacing my desktop PC. Which given all the Windoze 8 debacle might be just as well...

One question, though, is whether it will play Audible books. Audible has android downloads, btu they seem to be for cell phones. Any idea?

Thanks!
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
January 24th, 2013 at 11:16:37 AM permalink
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but let me recommend a $499 iPad retina. You can buy an SDHC card reader (supports only up to 32GB cards though) for a couple of bucks.

The thing that really sold me on getting iPad retinas for the whole family was all the stuff for music, but I also have a Nexus tablet, and it just sits there.
aahigh.com
Nareed
Nareed
January 24th, 2013 at 11:23:10 AM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but let me recommend a $499 iPad retina. You can buy an SDHC card reader (supports only up to 32GB cards though) for a couple of bucks.

Thanks. But, 1) No keyboard, 2) Apple, and 3) still no USB port.

Quote:

The thing that really sold me on getting iPad retinas for the whole family was all the stuff for music,

I hardly ever listen to music, so that wouldn't be a consideration. I do play podcasts, but I already have the MP3 player for that. Audiobooks are something I'm keen to experiment with, but that's all it is so far.
Ahigh
Ahigh
January 24th, 2013 at 12:56:14 PM permalink
Just my experience. If you don't like Apple products, I understand. I didn't want to pay the premium for many years, but I took the plunge and it was worth it.

Also, don't know if you were aware:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

I'm an old linux hacker from back in the day, so I love my retina macbook pro since I can do tcsh and all my Irix-linux days of doing command line stuff are paying me dividends on command-line productivity.

Though, there was some setup time doing all the installation process for software that doesn't come on the Mac.

As far as Apple for Windows for an inexperienced user, it's only the people in the middle that have troubles.

People with no experience love them, and people with tons of experience love them.

It's those in the middle who can do a little more on windows/android than they can do on Apple that are stuck. Especially those who don't want to pay the premium for the higher quality product.

I used an android for several years before switching to iPhone a few days ago. The only thing I miss is my google contacts and google voice isn't quite as integrated on iPhone.

Otherwise, the smoothness and visual clarity of the iPhone just makes the old thing seem like a piece of crap.

Also, you can buy a bluetooth keyboard that works. You knew that right?

I apologize if this has already been said. Like I said, I didn't read the lengthy thread, just sayin'. I resisted, and I feel like a dope for not buying sooner, though I like having a retina version .. and never had to deal with the low res stuff.
aahigh.com
Ahigh
Ahigh
January 24th, 2013 at 1:00:54 PM permalink
I bought three iPad retinas for Christmas for my family. My 14 year-old, my woman, and her Mom.

They do facetime conversations all the time now. And the mom is no techno person. It's just easy, and it works good.
aahigh.com
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
January 24th, 2013 at 1:10:59 PM permalink
I just got back from my trip from the Bahamas and this was my first trip without my laptop. I took only my Samsung Galaxy Note. This is either a very large phone or a very small tablet depending upon your point of view. I was very happy with what I was able to do but I haven't loaded word or excel (or clones) on it yet.

This trip I didn't have to do anything very exotic and I used it mostly for e-mail and accessing some work related websites.

It is easy to switch between WIFI or GSM access and choose the one that makes the most sense. I kept the phone function off pretty much all the time I was in Nassua since my F******* Canadian supplier wanted $2.50 a minute for voice. I also had trouble accessing my normal e-mail account so ended up using my gmail account while in the Bahamas. No problem while transitting through the US though.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Nareed
Nareed
January 24th, 2013 at 1:19:27 PM permalink

Just my experience. If you don't like Apple products, I understand.

I loved my Apple ][e back in the dawn of modern times ;)

But that was a logn time ago.

Quote:

Also, don't know if you were aware:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

I'm an old linux hacker from back in the day, so I love my retina macbook pro since I can do tcsh and all my Irix-linux days of doing command line stuff are paying me dividends on command-line productivity.

My brain refuses to make sense of anything after "aware."

Quote:

As far as Apple for Windows for an inexperienced user, it's only the people in the middle that have troubles.

People with no experience love them, and people with tons of experience love them.

I can troubleshoot Windows with some patience and a little web surfing. Aside from that, I do use parts of Windows not known to, apparently, 99.99% of the general public. I loathed Win3.11, but from Win95 onwards I've had little trouble and I've been able to use it without much in the way of instructions. The last time I tried using a Mac, I could not find anything, make sense of anything, or plain do anything. Even the on/off switch was hidden in the back of the monitor. All this, mind, from a machine with an OS touted, nay, boasted of, as being "intuitive."

In other words:

Apple=Evil empire

So there :P

Oh, I've never handled Android at all.
Nareed
Nareed
January 24th, 2013 at 1:33:24 PM permalink
BTW, it's nothing personal. i jut can't pass up the opportunity to rant about Apple.
Ahigh
Ahigh
January 24th, 2013 at 1:34:49 PM permalink
I typed in a bunch of stuff, but realized it wouldn't make sense to you.

So let me summarize: you're missing out chump!
aahigh.com
Nareed
Nareed
January 24th, 2013 at 1:40:43 PM permalink

So let me summarize: you're missing out chump!

That's okay. I've missed out chump before :P
Nareed
Nareed
January 28th, 2013 at 10:22:08 AM permalink
Talk about incomplete information....

Best Buy has the Asus TF300 quoted at 8,500 pesos. Office Depot and Office Max each quote it at 7,000. Good deal, right? Not so much. The latter two offer it without a keyboard. With a keyboard the price rises north of 9,000 pesos. Ugh!

So I did some shopping ont he net, and I've decided I should get one while in Vegas next time. I should save a couple of thousand pesos.

And in my opinion, (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed.
Nareed
Nareed
May 16th, 2013 at 9:47:37 AM permalink
So, after this long thread and my utter ignorance on (ugh) Win8 before it launched, I've re-thought my needs.

I've concluded a tablet just plainly isn't good enough for some of the things I want. Keyboard or not, you can't do much serious work, not the way I work, ona tablet. But they're great for consuming information and are highly portable, plus you can do some light(er) work on one, with a keyboard, if necessary. Sparing all the details, what I could use is a medium-sized tablet for looking up websites, checking email, playing audio books, reading e-books and so on. But I'll keep my laptop for any serious work on the move. This should translate intoa much cheaper tablet.

Now, regardless of the merits of Win8 as a tablet OS, Windows-based tablets are too expensive. So long as I can get reasonable compatibility with Word and Excel files (PDF files are a given), I'll be just fine. In other words, I'm looking for an Android OS device, not nessarily with a keybord and not with a large screen.

Any idea if I can get one for, oh, $200 or so?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
May 16th, 2013 at 10:07:00 AM permalink

Any idea if I can get one for, oh, $200 or so?

It's not exactly state-of-the-art anymore, but have you considered the Nexus 7?
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Nareed
Nareed
May 16th, 2013 at 11:26:34 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

It's not exactly state-of-the-art anymore, but have you considered the Nexus 7?

I've considered nothing, really, past giving Apple and Microsoft a very wide berth.

Thanks for the tip.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
May 18th, 2013 at 6:45:03 PM permalink
nexus vs galaxy tab 7" I bought both @ same time Fry's had the nexus for $150 1 day sale only normally $180. however normally you can get them both for approximately $179 with something extra like a SD card or small mail in rebate. Take a 10 question survey online @ office depot for an additional $20 off of anything over $100 now $159 take back the free SD card for $20 ( you must say u lost sales slip it can be a hassle) you can also get the employees 10% discount If you charm him or her. now its only $124 or about.
Things I noticed
Samsung...........................................Nexus
Samsung Dual Core -1.........................Nexus QUAD CORE +1
Samsung 2 CAMERAS +1........................Nexus 1 camera -1
Samsung speakers Great +1...................Nexus BAD Speakers -1
Samsung headphone jack good +1..........Nexus headphone jack sound low -1
Samsung Graphics ok to me....................Nexus Way better Graphics I didn't notice
Samsung Removable Memory A MUST.....NexusRemovable Memory NO ARE YOU KIDDING ? GG Nexus winner Samsung
........................................................ ... Nexus The box was super nice

Samsung has Some annoying tap feature that enlarges the screen and a glitch that outo deselects things after you lift your finger making it hard to play video poker or other flash games.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Nareed
Nareed
May 18th, 2013 at 7:51:08 PM permalink
Thanks! That was very helpful.

On an unrelated matter, Windows 8 must be destroyed.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
September 13th, 2013 at 7:58:00 PM permalink
I'm not sure that this is the best thread to post this in, but I just bought a couple of accessories for the Nexus 7 tablet that I purchased on Black Friday last November.

First, I bought a Bluetooth keyboard that exactly matches the Nexus 7. For transport they snap together as a neat little package so that the keyboard serves a bit as a protective case -- screen toward the keyboard with the back side of each component looking almost identical. When you use the keyboard, there is a slot in it, just above the number keys, and the Nexus tablet rests there in landscape orientation so that the combination looks like a miniature laptop computer.

The keyboard I bought is sold here on Amazon and is priced at just $17.99 plus shipping. The brand is Sharkk, but as far as I know the same product could be sold under multiple names. As the reviews all point out, in order to match the 7" pad size, the keyboard is way too small for convenient touch typing, but the old hunt-and-peck with a keyboard is much better than using the on-screen keyboard.

Second, I bought a mini Bluetooth optical mouse. It's not as small as the tiny USB mouse that I used to carry with a laptop, but I got it here, also from Amazon for $9.99 plus shipping.

There may be better deals available somewhere or better keyboard/mouse combinations for the Nexus 7, but other than not being able to touch type as I would on a full size keyboard, I have a very favorable first impression. I had a lot of trouble editing files with the on-screen keyboard (such as daily updates to the post #1 index in the Computer Chip of the Day thread), and my initial trials with this combo worked much better. YMMV.
Nareed
Nareed
September 17th, 2013 at 8:34:51 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I'm not sure that this is the best thread to post this in, but I just bought a couple of accessories for the Nexus 7 tablet that I purchased on Black Friday last November.

Thanks! That was very helpful.

I'm actually thinking of getting a regular wired mouse and keyboard, which would require a powered USB hub. My thinking is that such things can be easily used with both the tablet and the laptop, though not, naturally, on the move (say in an airplane).
  • Jump to: