Poll

12 votes (48%)
13 votes (52%)

25 members have voted

FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
April 3rd, 2012 at 4:12:14 PM permalink
I can't decide if I hope there is a God or not.

On the one hand, if there is a god, there is a chance there is an afterlife, which means there's a chance there is heaven.

On the other hand, if there is a god, there's a chance there is a hell, which means that in order for me to get to heaven, I'd probably need to pick the right religion, or have a God that doesn't care about religion, and only cares about doing good things and being a good person.

So I'm not asking whether you think God exists, I'm asking what you're rooting for.

I guess I'm leaning toward hoping he exists, because why would God want a bunch of people in hell, right?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 3rd, 2012 at 4:54:38 PM permalink
If there is a god, nothing here makes any
sense. The thought of it is frightening. It
would mean the universe is ruled by whimsy
and emotion, which it obviously isn't. The god
in the OT is scary, he's emotional and not
dependable..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:00:21 PM permalink
The question is absurd.
"What, me worry?"
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:02:19 PM permalink
What if God was unaware that we existed?

Suppose that an entity, which as a consequence of some action that He performed, caused us to come into being. Now supposed that our existence was a mere side effect of that action and He was actually more interested in a much larger result of that action thus not even being aware of our existence because we're far smaller than anything He can detect.

Would that entity be God?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:04:39 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

No! He can only be god if he obsesses over every bad
thought you've ever had and stays up nights worrying
about you. Like your mommy did when you were five.
khoyle2001
khoyle2001
  • Threads: 3
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:09:16 PM permalink
I think there is a god! Also, a vast majority of the world believes in a ultimate being, a deity of some sort.
So lets look at this why. If there is a God (to my thinking there is) and you do wrong to others you will be sent to not so nice of place as if you do right by others. If you do right by others (which I know you have had to do sometime in your life and had the "good feeling" that comes with helping others) and God sees this he will send you to a very nice place!

Now lets say that there is no God. (I even hate to type those words.) What would it hurt to do right by others? Help them along in their life! It will help them and it will make you feel good!

Now I am not saying that I believe in the whole "burning bush" thing. Or that all the things in the Bible are true. (This could be another thread all by itself) I am not saying that the whole Jesus thing is all true. (Another thread) But you asked if there is a GOD!

So to my thinking "YES there is a GOD!"
FinsRule
FinsRule
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:19:57 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

The question is absurd.

How so? I'm just guessing what you'd be rooting for if you were rooting.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:30:24 PM permalink
I'll give you three guesses ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:43:03 PM permalink
Some people who've lead an empty or evil life turn to a belief in God as they near the end and renounce their long standing and more logical, if unprovable, beliefs.

I've more respect for those who have the courage to maintain their convictions irrespective of fears or comforts. Those who do not weaken.

Its similar to political convictions. IRA lads sent over here due to the "heat" in Northern Ireland had more money and more sex and far more opportunities available to them here than if they returned to Ireland's then bleak economy and strictly enforced ban on condoms. If they returned to carry on the struggle, I had greater respect for them than if they accepted an "out" of comforts.

Its the same way with life long realists, as they approach death I admire those who stick with their convictions and do not turn suddenly to religion or heaven or thoughts that were alien to them most of their lives.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 3rd, 2012 at 5:47:46 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

bleak economy and strictly enforced ban on condoms..

How do you enforce a ban on condoms? Do they
break into your bedroom when you're having sex?
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
April 3rd, 2012 at 6:24:30 PM permalink
This evening I am preparing for a funeral tommorrow of an 18 year old girl. I will say that myself, her family, her friends, and the girl herself are all sure hoping there is a God. God and the promise of life eternal in Heaven is what is holding us all together right now. With a belief in God things like this hardly make sense, without God life wouldn't make any sense at all.

I was surprised that not everyone voted Yes (even Nareed). I was thinking we could all agree that, even if you looked at it as only a hope, the idea that there is something more than this life is very intriguing to say the least.
MrV
MrV
April 3rd, 2012 at 6:43:34 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

God and the promise of life eternal in Heaven is what is holding us all together right now. With a belief in God things like this hardly make sense, without God life wouldn't make any sense at all.

Speak for yourself, priest.

Death is a necessary part of life; it makes perfect sense.

Untimely death can produce sorrow, but it is no less natural.

Throw down your crutch, open your eyes and SEE clearly for the first time.

"It was as if that great rush of anger had washed me clean, emptied me of hope, and, gazing up at the dark sky spangled with its signs and stars, for the first time, the first, I laid my heart open to the benign indifference of the universe." --- Camus
"What, me worry?"
MrV
MrV
April 3rd, 2012 at 6:46:54 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

How so? I'm just guessing what you'd be rooting for if you were rooting.

The question is absurd because there is no god.

End of story.
"What, me worry?"
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
April 3rd, 2012 at 7:01:02 PM permalink

open your eyes and SEE clearly for the first time.

Don't you wonder if we really can SEE clearly enough to see everything. Do you really think there is nothing supernatural about this world we live in? Why would we think that the sky spangled with its signs and stars means that the universe is indifferent? When I gaze out at the stars I am filled with hope that there is so much more out there than what I can SEE with my eyes or comprehend with my mind and that there is more to this life than just death.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 3rd, 2012 at 7:25:45 PM permalink

the idea that there is something more than this life is very intriguing to say the least.

We discover new things all the time, but we haven't
discovered god yet. If he's hiding, he's doing a good
job. His existence isn't obvious to anybody except to
those who need a god as an excuse for living.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
April 3rd, 2012 at 7:36:45 PM permalink

The question is absurd because there is no god.

End of story.

There is no Santa Claus, but people still throw lighted plastic Santii all over their lawns in December. Some people route for the Mets even though they don't really exist either. Yes, there are things that are completely absurd but I can see where a purpose can be served by hoping for things to be true. In this case, I voted No, but I do see where the question is valid.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 3rd, 2012 at 8:07:39 PM permalink

This evening I am preparing for a funeral tommorrow of an 18 year old girl. I will say that myself, her family, her friends, and the girl herself are all sure hoping there is a God. God and the promise of life eternal in Heaven is what is holding us all together right now. With a belief in God things like this hardly make sense, without God life wouldn't make any sense at all.

There is no axiomatic reason life has to "make sense". It'd be nice if it did, but it'd also be nice if my best friend hadn't died before her time. It being nice, doesn't make it any more right or wrong.

Quote:

I was surprised that not everyone voted Yes (even Nareed). I was thinking we could all agree that, even if you looked at it as only a hope, the idea that there is something more than this life is very intriguing to say the least.

I voted No under the assumption of the Judeo-Christian God. I don't think he's a god I'd like to exist (and me liking him to exist or not makes no difference to his existance either). Give me the choice on the non-intecessionary God, the deistic, unknowable creator whose, and I while I don't "hope" it exists, I wouldn't actively hope not... I think I could get behind a Loki or His Noodley appendage. I do hope Azathoth and Cthulhu don't exist.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 3rd, 2012 at 8:09:58 PM permalink
Everything would be so simple if god existed.
Just follow his rules and you'd have it made.
Unfortunately, life is not quite that easy. There
are no guarantees of anything, in spite of what
the religious hucksters are trying to sell.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 3rd, 2012 at 8:10:45 PM permalink
Double post, god's fault.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
April 3rd, 2012 at 8:11:57 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I think I could get behind a Loki or His Noodley appendage. I do hope Azathoth and Cthulhu don't exist.

Beer volcano and stripper factory heaven sounds awesome! But as for Azathoth and Cthulhu, bad press, they're really just big old teddybears.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
April 3rd, 2012 at 8:24:42 PM permalink
i am fairly certain there is no God, and i truly hope that there isn't one.
i love the idea of all of these judgmental, hypocritical, christians -in-name-only wasting their lives believing in a fairy tale
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
MrV
MrV
April 3rd, 2012 at 9:39:11 PM permalink

Why would we think that the sky spangled with its signs and stars means that the universe is indifferent?

Because whether you live or die, succeed or fail, makes not one whit of difference to the universe.

Oh sure, we're all important to somebody, but not to the universe: it is not some vast, corporeal being with a Divine Plan for us: that is childish nonsense, the Wishful Thinking of the Desperate and the Deluded.

It is a vast, mindless collection of matter and energy, nothing more: and that ain't a bad thing.
"What, me worry?"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 3rd, 2012 at 9:41:46 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

How do you enforce a ban on condoms? Do they break into your bedroom when you're having sex?

Prescription only item with each Rx investigated. Importation of condoms punished more heavily than importation of heroin.
WongBo
WongBo
April 3rd, 2012 at 9:45:38 PM permalink
delete
Nareed
Nareed
April 3rd, 2012 at 9:50:06 PM permalink

I was surprised that not everyone voted Yes (even Nareed).

You should know better by now :)

Quote:

I was thinking we could all agree that, even if you looked at it as only a hope, the idea that there is something more than this life is very intriguing to say the least.

Oh, the idea is intriguing. So is time travel, teleportation, reincarnation, sorcery, faster-than-light travel, and other things.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 3rd, 2012 at 9:52:33 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

i am fairly certain there is no God, and i truly hope that there isn't one.
i love the idea of all of these judgmental, hypocritical, christians -in-name-only wasting their lives believing in a fairy tale

I wonder what God does exactly when all those Right Way bettors are praying and all those Wrong Way bettors are also praying? We always invoke God as being on the winner's side in a battle.
The founder of the American Realists movement become violently sick each December with the "Christmas Spirit" nonsense two weeks each year. He just couldn't tolerate the Santa Claus nonsense. And as his time drew to an end, he had the courage to maintain his views rather than seek the solace of his fears.
WongBo
WongBo
April 3rd, 2012 at 9:53:32 PM permalink
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
Denis Diderot
FinsRule
FinsRule
April 4th, 2012 at 4:37:39 AM permalink
I've decided to vote yes. If there is God, why would he put generally good people in a hell just because they didn't pray to him every day, or didn't believe in some guy who came around claiming to be a direct spawn of God 2000 years ago.

An afterlife would be nice. Right?
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
April 4th, 2012 at 7:43:41 AM permalink
What if our concepts of heaven and hell are backwards, with hell being the better place (from our perspective) and heaven being the place we'd rather avoid? Or maybe they should both be avoided, in preference of being here on earth (and down to earth)? Perhaps the two H's are simply states of mind.

Also, eternal life sounds very unappealing, so hopefully that is not the case.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
April 4th, 2012 at 11:24:00 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

What if God was unaware that we existed?

Suppose that an entity, which as a consequence of some action that He performed, caused us to come into being. Now supposed that our existence was a mere side effect of that action and He was actually more interested in a much larger result of that action thus not even being aware of our existence because we're far smaller than anything He can detect.

Wasn't there a Simpsons episode on this?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 4th, 2012 at 12:17:44 PM permalink
Quote: JB

Also, eternal life sounds very unappealing, so hopefully that is not the case.

I freely admit that I'm terrified of non-existence, which absent any afterlife, means that logically I'm terrified of death.

People have made the above argument to me, and I don't get it. What sounds so bad about eternal life? I'd much rather be around forever, than face the prospect of not existing at some point in the future. It just bums me out, you know?

This is assuming that "eternal life" doesn't mean some kind of medically induced state where my body is still technically "alive" but life has failed to actually have any merits. I'm talking about a hypothetical world where I would live forever on earth somehow, or live forever somewhere else.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Nareed
Nareed
April 4th, 2012 at 12:38:03 PM permalink
We should have a thread on the afterlife. As I told a good friend of mine recently, I dont' take it seriously but it is an intriguing idea. Like time travel :)
JB
Administrator
JB
April 4th, 2012 at 12:38:21 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I freely admit that I'm terrified of non-existence, which absent any afterlife, means that logically I'm terrified of death.

People have made the above argument to me, and I don't get it. What sounds so bad about eternal life? I'd much rather be around forever, than face the prospect of not existing at some point in the future. It just bums me out, you know?

This is assuming that "eternal life" doesn't mean some kind of medically induced state where my body is still technically "alive" but life has failed to actually have any merits. I'm talking about a hypothetical world where I would live forever on earth somehow, or live forever somewhere else.

Given the choice, I would prefer non-existence/nothingness versus living forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and so on, aging the entire time. And if nothingness is in fact an option, then I hope the transition between...this...and that is as quick and painless as possible.
Nareed
Nareed
April 4th, 2012 at 12:41:41 PM permalink

And if nothingness is in fact an option, then I hope the transition between...this...and that is as quick and painless as possible.

“I’m not afraid to die. I just don’t want to be there when it happens” (Woody Allen)
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
April 4th, 2012 at 12:44:01 PM permalink

Given the choice, I would prefer non-existence/nothingness versus living forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and so on, aging the entire time. And if nothingness is in fact an option, then I hope the transition between...this...and that is as quick and painless as possible.

One of the Hitchhiker's Guide books touches on the boredom that would become manifested via immortality....Arthur Dent? You're a jerk.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 4th, 2012 at 12:46:35 PM permalink

I freely admit that I'm terrified of non-existence,

Non-existence is quite impossible. How come nobody
ever worries about where they were before they were
born? Isn't that 'non-existence'? Doesn't seem very
frightening does it. Thats because we instinctively
know we came from 'somewhere' or are 'something'.
JB
Administrator
JB
April 4th, 2012 at 1:18:22 PM permalink
Quote: progrocker

One of the Hitchhiker's Guide books touches on the boredom that would become manifested via immortality

Several musicians seem to be aware of it:

"All's I gots is time, got no reason, just a rhyme" Stone Temple Pilots

"This was never meant to last, I wish it wasn't so" Linkin Park

"Ohhh, I... ohhhhhhhhhhhhh... I'm still alive..." Pearl Jam

"We're never gonna survive, unless we are a little crazy" Seal
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
April 4th, 2012 at 1:23:52 PM permalink

You been reading Ralph Waldo Emerson? Very transcendental of you...even when we cease to live we still continue to BE. Good stuff.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 4th, 2012 at 2:22:42 PM permalink

My girlfriend made this argument a while back, but I don't get it. Yes, I'm not afraid of my own non-existence before I was alive, because it's in the past. I am afraid of my own non-existence after I die...because I'm here right now.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 4th, 2012 at 2:23:17 PM permalink

I think the bold is the sticking point. I agree that it would suck to live forever and keep getting physically older.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
April 4th, 2012 at 3:32:53 PM permalink
A great "young adult" book addresses this: Tuck Everlasting. Without death, life and love are meaningless. It's the end that gives everything else its intensity.
A falling knife has no handle.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 4th, 2012 at 4:31:23 PM permalink

I'm not afraid of my own non-existence before I was alive

You can't get something from nothing, its impossible.
You were somewhere before you inhabited your
body, you were never non existent. Why fear it now.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 4th, 2012 at 4:55:40 PM permalink
I was nowhere before my body existed, as I am my body. I don't subscribe to the physical/mental split (Dualism).

Conciousness is an emergent phenomena, not a Platonic core. I did indeed exist, as component atoms of different items, and in the future I'll be a bunch of different molecules and atoms in a different set of places. MY Concious, thinking, feeling self was created and can disappear, just like my car was built, and will one day be so much recycled metal, rust and plastics. It's no longer a car, but the parts still exist.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 4th, 2012 at 5:02:06 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

MY Concious, thinking, feeling self was created and can disappear, just like my car was built,

The spirit that makes you alive cannot be created
artificially, it exists outside of us. Some people call
it god.
MrV
MrV
April 4th, 2012 at 5:35:18 PM permalink

it god.

Then those people delude themselves.

It is a natural process, nothing more; no supernatural or other-worldly elements involved.

Consciousness / self-awareness is but one interesting fork on the evolutionary road.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 4th, 2012 at 5:52:04 PM permalink

It is a natural process, nothing more; no supernatural or other-worldly elements involved.

I didn't say it was supernatural. Obviously its a
an intricate part of nature, which makes it the
opposite of supernatural.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 4th, 2012 at 6:07:43 PM permalink

it god.

We'll see if that's true or not.

I don't believe Hard, Conscious AI is around the corner, but I do believe it is possible. Besides, this wouldn't disprove the Dualist position anyways.
MrV
MrV
April 4th, 2012 at 6:08:11 PM permalink
Ah, but you describe it as a "spirit."

That word seems akin to "supernatural."

It implies something other than a purely natural process.
"What, me worry?"
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
April 5th, 2012 at 3:15:15 AM permalink
Quote: khoyle2001

I think there is a god! Also, a vast majority of the world believes in a ultimate being, a deity of some sort.
So lets look at this why. If there is a God (to my thinking there is) and you do wrong to others you will be sent to not so nice of place as if you do right by others. If you do right by others (which I know you have had to do sometime in your life and had the "good feeling" that comes with helping others) and God sees this he will send you to a very nice place!

Now lets say that there is no God. (I even hate to type those words.) What would it hurt to do right by others? Help them along in their life! It will help them and it will make you feel good!

Interesting postmodern reformulation of Pascal's Wager. :)
  • Jump to: