Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 24th, 2011 at 8:56:21 AM permalink
Last week a coworker's child went missing. I have no details about it. One of the women in the janitorial staff asked me to pray for the child's safe return. I won't go into what she said, but she asked me specifically because she thinks I'm Jewish (she's Catholic).

Now, this woman cleans out office and does some additional services for us, like preparing fruit for snacks and running some errands when we're too busy. She's also very good at making out chaotic offices a place that passes for a normal workspace. In other words I have much regard for her and even some affection. Therefore I felt it impolite to refuse, even though, of course, I had no intention of begging a fictional character for something. Saying "of course I will," would make her feel better, perhaps, and whether I actually prayed or not would make no difference whatsoever.

Two days ago she came to thank me. the child turn up, again I have no details, and she credited me with helping find the child.

So there you have it. I can work miracles. Who would have thought it possible?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
December 24th, 2011 at 9:03:55 AM permalink
Well, don't pat yourself on the back so quickly:
1. Other people almost certainly prayed, if devine intercession was involved. Their prayers may have been heard, and you just got undeserved credit, a common occurence in this world.
2. Police intercession may have been the real miracle.
3. And it may have been a combination: G-d worked through the police.

We ALL can work miracles if we apply ourselves. I feel that EZ Pai Gow is a miracle, especially because the gaming industry is as it is.
Work, sweat, and inspiration are prayer also. These are the prayers that works best, and the prayers that G-d wants and expects from us. He doesn't want to see us kneeling, as he's seen enough of our asses. He wants to see our worn-out shoes, pencils, keyboards, and calculators.
So Credit the detectives.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Nareed
Nareed
December 24th, 2011 at 9:09:58 AM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Well, don't pat yourself on the back so quickly:

Why not? Do you have any proof my hypocritical inaction did not cause the child to return safely? One person has testified to that effect, even if she doesn't know what I did or did not do.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
December 24th, 2011 at 9:13:47 AM permalink
This is like asking me to prove that my cat is actually not an alien from mars. I can't prove it to you if you want to believe what you want. Even if that one person testifies to that effect, it does not mean she really knows anything aside from her child is back. I got a Royal flush when I had a lucky rabbit's foot in my pocket only because it was on a key-chain. It would be Magical Thinking on my part to testify that I won because of a lucky rabbit's foot.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
December 24th, 2011 at 9:14:36 AM permalink
I shall pray to Saint Nareed whenever my child goes missing.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
December 24th, 2011 at 9:15:52 AM permalink
I shall pray to St. Nareed if my cat goes missing, and using the lucky rabbit's foot.
Nareed
Nareed
December 24th, 2011 at 9:29:52 AM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

This is like asking me to prove that my cat is actually not an alien from mars.

Oh, sweetie, everyone knows cats are overlords from Mars :P

Quote:

I can't prove it to you if you want to believe what you want.

That's the wrong answer. But it's on the right track.

Quote:

Even if that one person testifies to that effect, it does not mean she really knows anything aside from her child is back.

It wasn't the cleaning woman's child who went missing. She was just worried about her coworker, as were we all.
Nareed
Nareed
December 24th, 2011 at 9:30:46 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

I shall pray to Saint Nareed whenever my child goes missing.

I've already done nothing about it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 24th, 2011 at 10:21:01 AM permalink
I have a statue of St Nareed that cried real tears
today. Its a Festivus miracle!
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 24th, 2011 at 10:48:07 AM permalink
When are the feats of strength, Bob?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 24th, 2011 at 10:52:14 AM permalink
Right after the gas passing contest. That means loading
up on lima beans in the morning..
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 24th, 2011 at 3:09:46 PM permalink
I'd say this miracle increases the value of Nareed's soul significantly.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
December 24th, 2011 at 3:32:07 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

There'll be another Super Bowl before WoVCon ][. Care to go double or nothing?
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 24th, 2011 at 3:53:20 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Does FriarGamble know you own Nareed's soul and
are waiting fo it to go up in value before dumping
it? And on Xmas, no less. You'd think the 'right'
thing to do would be release his soul on the holy day.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
December 24th, 2011 at 4:13:15 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Why not? Do you have any proof my hypocritical inaction did not cause the child to return safely? One person has testified to that effect, even if she doesn't know what I did or did not do.

I think your kind pretending not to be an atheist did indeed help the person and their family not to lose hope. They knew that they had the support of a good person like you at their work. I think its premature to canonize you but I think recognizing that it is good to feel we are not alone in our difficulties, through our friends or through our relationship with God, is a good step in the right direction.
Nareed
Nareed
December 24th, 2011 at 6:24:07 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

I think your kind pretending not to be an atheist did indeed help the person and their family not to lose hope. They knew that they had the support of a good person like you at their work.

Ok. It seems I was writing in Chinese-infused Antarctican in my first post. So I'll repeat here:

A coworker, NOT the cleaning lady, had her child go missing.
The cleaning lady asked me to pray for the child's safe return.

So telling the cleaning lady I'd pray would do nothing to let the actual coworker with the missing child know anything.

Are we clear on that now? Good.

Nor was I pretending to believe in god, or in Ra for that matter. All I did was say I'd do something I wouldn't do. I was being a hypocrite just to keep a smooth relationship with a colleague I appreciate. I did this, as I explained, because praying wouldn't do squat to affect the situation. Had she asked me to wash my panties in rose water so the child would return safely, I'd have said I'd do that, too, because it wouldn't have affected anything either.

Quote:

I think its premature to canonize you but I think recognizing that it is good to feel we are not alone in our difficulties, through our friends or through our relationship with God, is a good step in the right direction.

I don't understand. What direction?
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 24th, 2011 at 6:54:47 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed[q

I don't understand. What direction?

Good one, Nareed..
FrGamble
FrGamble
December 24th, 2011 at 8:39:07 PM permalink

A coworker, NOT the cleaning lady, had her child go missing.
The cleaning lady asked me to pray for the child's safe return.

So telling the cleaning lady I'd pray would do nothing to let the actual coworker with the missing child know anything.

Are we clear on that now? Good.

Got it now thanks, sorry I missed that at first. I still think your act of kindness can go a lot further than you think. It helped the nice cleaning lady and maybe inspired her prayer, which contrary to your assertions are indeed powerful and helpful. So while I still say sainthood is down the road a bit I think a little credit is due you for the consideration and respect you showed your colleague.
DeadRats
DeadRats
  • Threads: 4
December 24th, 2011 at 10:22:10 PM permalink
Sorry Nareed, It is not a miracle unless the man in the pointed hat in Rome says it is !
Nareed
Nareed
December 25th, 2011 at 9:52:05 AM permalink

Got it now thanks, sorry I missed that at first.

I'd better not say anything...

Quote:

I still think your act of kindness can go a lot further than you think.

Isn't anyone else bothered by my blatant display of hypocrisy?

Quote:

It helped the nice cleaning lady and maybe inspired her prayer, which contrary to your assertions are indeed powerful and helpful.

My assertions? Look, there's a number of thigns people might do when confronted with events they ahve no control over, like illness or a missing child. I might have bet the cleaning lady the child would be found, or, to make it a good bet, that he wouldn't be. But that would be callous and cruel, right? I might have said "I hope the kid turns up safe." (In fact I did say that). I might have offered any help that was needed (Again, I did). And none of that would have done anything to locate the missing boy or to insure his safety.

Now, are these all assertions, too, or merely common sense observations?

Quote:

So while I still say sainthood is down the road a bit I think a little credit is due you for the consideration and respect you showed your colleague.

Thank you. I don't feel particualrly good about it. I lied, after all, and I helped further a superstitious attitude. All in the name of maintaining a good working relation with a valued colleague.
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
December 25th, 2011 at 10:11:12 AM permalink

Thank you. I don't feel particualrly good about it. I lied, after all, and I helped further a superstitious attitude. All in the name of maintaining a good working relation with a valued colleague.

Sorry to ask, but if you really think you didn't do anything great why did you start this thread at the first place? Perhaps you are falling into one of the catholic principles, the confession. Is it truly guilt or you just want to start polemics and insult those who believe in miracles?
No bounce, no play.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 25th, 2011 at 10:52:01 AM permalink

Isn't anyone else bothered by my blatant display of hypocrisy?

Nah. It's what we expected, so why should it bother us? ;-)
Nareed
Nareed
December 25th, 2011 at 11:09:39 AM permalink
Quote: aluisio

Sorry to ask, but if you really think you didn't do anything great why did you start this thread at the first place?

I stated quite openly at the beginning I did nothing.

Quote:

Perhaps you are falling into one of the catholic principles, the confession.

I don't believe in confession. If you've done something bad to someone, you should apologize to them and make whatever restitution is possible. You should seek their forgiveness, which is not their obligation to grant, and atone to them to whatever extent you can. "Confessing" to someone else or to a deity is worthless by my reckoning.

Quote:

Is it truly guilt or you just want to start polemics and insult those who believe in miracles?

I'm exposing the fact that people who believe in miracles and prayer are too ready to believe. It's like the Martian canals phenomenon. People who wanted to see them saw them, even though we know there was nothing like that on the surface of Mars.
aluisio
aluisio
December 25th, 2011 at 11:15:25 AM permalink
I think I've got it, just some simple worthless point, sometimes this issues make me confused, specially when it comes to gambling. I think there is a narrow line between what gamblers and christians believe.
No bounce, no play.
Nareed
Nareed
December 25th, 2011 at 11:30:29 AM permalink
Quote: aluisio

I think I've got it, just some simple worthless point, sometimes this issues make me confused, specially when it comes to gambling. I think there is a narrow line between what gamblers and christians believe.

It's the same mechanism. I think it's called confirmation bias.

If you, say, rub a rabbit's foor before placing a bet on 17 and it hits, you've proved rubbing the foot caused you to win. Of course if you do so on every spin, in the long run you'll lose. But you'll recall the times you won more than thsoe you lost.

A religious person, not necessarily a Christian, who prays for a favorable outcome, say for an ill person, will credit prayer for the person getting better. Again forgetting the times that didn't happen, or making excuses as to why other people they prayed for dind't get better.

BTW, in all the Jewish religious instruction I got, which wasn't that much, there wasn't a peep about praying for someone or something..
aluisio
aluisio
December 25th, 2011 at 11:34:33 AM permalink
I agree with you, Nareed.
No bounce, no play.
FrGamble
FrGamble
December 25th, 2011 at 1:58:31 PM permalink

It's the same mechanism. I think it's called confirmation bias.

If you, say, rub a rabbit's foor before placing a bet on 17 and it hits, you've proved rubbing the foot caused you to win. Of course if you do so on every spin, in the long run you'll lose. But you'll recall the times you won more than thsoe you lost.

A religious person, not necessarily a Christian, who prays for a favorable outcome, say for an ill person, will credit prayer for the person getting better. Again forgetting the times that didn't happen, or making excuses as to why other people they prayed for dind't get better.

BTW, in all the Jewish religious instruction I got, which wasn't that much, there wasn't a peep about praying for someone or something..

Nareed, you should go back and read some of what was discussed in regard to public prayer in an earlier thread. Religion is not a rabbits foot and prayer is not hoping a number comes up.

A truly religious person prays to be connected to a deeper reallity than this world and to form a relationship with the Divine. It is about a worldview that is able to see something more going on than just what our weak eyes can see and our limited mind can grasp. It is about reminding ourselves that God loves us and is with us at all times, even when our number doesn't come up or the reality of what we wanted did not come to pass. It is about infusing our lives with a strength and hope that comes from above.
Nareed
Nareed
December 25th, 2011 at 2:12:34 PM permalink

It is about a worldview that is able to see something more going on than just what our weak eyes can see and our limited mind can grasp.

Our weak eyes and limited mind given to us by god and made in god's own image of, presumably, his eyes and mind?

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the human mind is the most powerful cognitive tool in this world. We're at the top. And while our eyes are lacking in many regards, our senses are better than anything else in this world, too. We can see any wavelength from gamma rays to radio waves, courtesy of the "limited" human mind.

I've never understood why those who claim to love god disparage and belittle humanity so much.
discflicker
discflicker
  • Threads: 30
December 25th, 2011 at 3:00:37 PM permalink
Has anyone taken into account the VALUE of souls being reduced daily? The end-of-world coutdown started what, a few days ago, like the 22nd. So already, a soul is worth at most (2012 is a leap year), (366 - 3) / 366. I'm just trying to QUANTIFY it. To me its all numbers and that is all there is to it, God or n God.
The difference between zero and the smallest possible number? It doesn't matter; once you cross that edge, it might as well be the difference between zero and 1. The difference between infinity and reality? They are mutually exclusive.
FrGamble
FrGamble
December 25th, 2011 at 6:57:38 PM permalink

Our weak eyes and limited mind given to us by god and made in god's own image of, presumably, his eyes and mind?

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the human mind is the most powerful cognitive tool in this world. We're at the top. And while our eyes are lacking in many regards, our senses are better than anything else in this world, too. We can see any wavelength from gamma rays to radio waves, courtesy of the "limited" human mind.

I've never understood why those who claim to love god disparage and belittle humanity so much.

No disappointment here, I was recently posting about how awesome and special humanity is and a few atheists seemed to take issue with it. While I don't know if our senses are really better than anything else in this world (many animals have us beat in individual senses) maybe you meant taken together as a whole our senses are the best. Anyway, what really separates us is the human mind. Our brains are miracles and gifts that I don't think we will ever fully understand. However, I think you would agree that while very powerful they are limited. As smart as you are I think you have to admit that you don't, nor ever will, know it all. I don't see this as a design flaw but rather as the beginning of realizing there is more to this world than we can understand or see. We shouldn't limit ourselves or close ourselves off to the exciting thought that your prayers, your concern, your kindness for others makes a difference that you cannot see or understand but are very powerful.
Nareed
Nareed
December 25th, 2011 at 7:24:39 PM permalink

While I don't know if our senses are really better than anything else in this world (many animals have us beat in individual senses) maybe you meant taken together as a whole our senses are the best.

Our natural senses are good enough. but that wasn't my point. We've extended our sense well beyond their natural limitations. As I said, we can see gamma rays, X-rays, ultraviolet, infrared, short radio waves and long radio waves, if we so choose. We can magnify views down to the atomic level on one end and view the entire visible universe on the other. No mere animal even comes close to that.

Quote:

However, I think you would agree that while very powerful they are limited. As smart as you are I think you have to admit that you don't, nor ever will, know it all.

Not at all. It surprise me people don't realize we've entered an age of practical omniscience. No one will ever know everything, but everyone now can learn anything. All it takes is a few minutes on the net.

Quote:

We shouldn't limit ourselves or close ourselves off to the exciting thought that your prayers, your concern, your kindness for others makes a difference that you cannot see or understand but are very powerful.

Ayn Rand called this kind of argument a package deal. Of course concern, kindness and actions towards others have an effect. That doesn't mean prayer does, even if you include it in a package which clearly does. The first is self-evident, the latter is wishful thinking. Not unlike hanging a plush sheep on your door to insure you'll always have enough money, or holding a seance to ask Howard Hughes where his real will is.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
February 4th, 2012 at 12:37:41 PM permalink

It's the same mechanism. I think it's called confirmation bias. If you, say, rub a rabbit's foot before placing a bet on 17 and it hits, you've "proved" rubbing the foot caused you to win.

The Post hoc ergo propter hoc ("After this, therefore because of this") fallacy.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 4th, 2012 at 12:47:50 PM permalink

Every single service has a prayer for those that are ill. The rabbi asks for the congregants to say aloud any member who is need of a get well prayer. Where did you go to temple?
Nareed
Nareed
February 4th, 2012 at 2:29:31 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Every single service has a prayer for those that are ill. The rabbi asks for the congregants to say aloud any member who is need of a get well prayer.

I don't recall anything like that. At the services during shivah, there's a prayer allegedly for the soul of the recently deceased. I say allegedly, because the prayer specifically for the dead, kaddish, says one sentence about the dead, amid all the flattery the omnipotent deity seems to like so well.

Quote:

Where did you go to temple?

Would it do any good if I told you? I mean, do you know any temples in Mexico City? I don't mind telling. If you must know it's called "Bet-el" and it's in Avenida Horacio, right next to the Superama, a block from Vazquez de Mella. It seems a really odd question to ask.
  • Jump to: