Quote: terapined

Forget Christmas, I celebrate Festivus.

A festivus for the rest of us.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
July 2nd, 2013 at 7:53:02 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

This could be a problem because the Enlightenment, US Constitution, and basically the entire basis of systems of law in Western Countries is based on Christianity and a certain amount of Jewish (10 Commandments.)

Do you think the law will forgive you seventy times seven times? You're welcome to find out. English common law is based in part on Mosaic law (not the 10 commandments so much), and comes about in the Christian era, but continental civil law traces its origins to pagan Rome.

We could go to an atheist system where the ruler is supreme and the peoples are treated more as his property than his subjects for a few years if anyone likes, then compare.

Funny how many Christians have worked with this atheist system and claimed the mandate of God in doing so. And how few atheists in the Western world advocate it.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 2nd, 2013 at 8:58:54 AM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

We could go to an atheist system where the ruler is supreme and the peoples are treated more as his property than his subjects for a few years if anyone likes, then compare.

Funny how many Christians have worked with this atheist system and claimed the mandate of God in doing so. And how few atheists in the Western world advocate it.

Terrible non-sequtir by AZ, it implies that a moral system can only come from the belief in a higher power and supreme being. Quite clearly this is not the case. It may be easier to IMPOSE a moral system with a belief in a supreme being across the populace, and gain agreement on that system.

Quite clearly the medieval Christian Kings viewed their peasants as chatels and property (see the feudal system). Christian Slave owners believed the black slaves to be property, and they ruled with absolute power on the plantations. (I await the old canard about Stalin/Hitler/Pol Pot, which will miss the point, as ever).

Christianity does have a reasonable, valuable ethical and moral system, just to be clear. The story of the Good Samaritan is a great one, and the teaching of 'love thy neighbour as you love thyself' is a very valuable one.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
YesThereReal
YesThereReal
  • Threads: 3
July 2nd, 2013 at 11:30:44 AM permalink
why do athiests belief the world is billons of years old when its only 2013 years???
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 2nd, 2013 at 11:52:10 AM permalink
Quote: YesThereReal

why do athiests belief the world is billons of years old when its only 2013 years???

Why do you believe it's 2013 years old?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 2nd, 2013 at 11:57:47 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

That would put Christianity in rather a pickle, as Jesus was born sometime before 1 AD.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
YesThereReal
YesThereReal
July 2nd, 2013 at 12:13:03 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

i have a calnder.
YesThereReal
YesThereReal
July 2nd, 2013 at 12:13:46 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That would put Christianity in rather a pickle, as Jesus was born sometime before 1 AD.

how can sum1 be born b4 they r born that does't make sense.
JVIPER88
JVIPER88
  • Threads: 4
August 8th, 2013 at 9:29:29 AM permalink
I wouldn't say that Atheist groups are "cults". It is human nature to seek out like-minded people, even if the like-mindedness is the lack of a belief in something. It provides comfort and a level of self-validation in one's beliefs. In my view, its exactly like being part of a religion, only without the "God" part.

It seems that when Atheists "declare" their atheism, they have effectively closed doors to more traditionally accepted social groups (like church), and human nature causes them to seek out another one. In fact, I even saw on the news the other day that there is now an Atheist "church", and the "pastor" is a former Evangelical Christian who renounced his faith.

To me, the whole thing sounds a bit nutty. I personally consider it a weakness to desire the closeness of like-minded individuals. It demonstrates a lack of conviction and inner strength. One should be able to believe in whatever they believe without the support of external validation.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
August 8th, 2013 at 9:52:09 AM permalink
All the god talk upsets The Flying Spaghetti Monster......Ramen
Each day is better than the next
  • Jump to: