ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
October 24th, 2012 at 3:36:59 PM permalink
Nareed,

This is the Espresso maker we have. It's made by Bialetti. I think around USD$30 for the 6 cup model as shown.

My daughter was visiting in Italy and brought us our first one. We are now on our 3rd. It makes espresso easily and quickly. Enough for one or 2 people. It comes in a 1,3,6,9 and 12 cup models. Fill the bottom with water, pack the basket with coffee, screw the top on, place on burner and wait about 10-15 minutes. It's really pretty good. Just my suggestion.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 24th, 2012 at 3:52:42 PM permalink
Here's a link to a photo of my Krupps:

http://www.mylamppost.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/krups-xp1500-espresso-machine.jpg

I make regular coffee on it two or three times a day (I have it at the office and about 6-8 of us drink regularly). I make espresso maybe twice a month. I don't make capuccino often, but it can do that, too. The machine is 5 years old or so, and it's in perfect working order (I take very good care of it). As I said, I'd pit the quality of each cup against a pro mahcine at any coffee house.

So I get good quality coffee at very low prices. Why would I waste money on a Nespresso machine with expensive capsules of indifferent flavor?

Oh, this all comes from the fact that the boss got a Nespresso for the office. He uses it, and so does one other coworker. The rest of us don't like it. I gave it a shot and it dind't measure up. I use it on occasion only when I want decaf. I eman, if it's not going to be real coffee, then the flavor or lack thereof does not matter ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
October 24th, 2012 at 4:02:00 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

So I get good quality coffee at very low prices. Why would I waste money on a Nespresso machine with expensive capsules of indifferent flavor?

You wouldn't, you asked for input that you didnt want.
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." E.E. Cummings
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2012 at 4:27:20 PM permalink
Quote: Scotty71

You wouldn't, you asked for input that you didnt want.

I thought I'd get some opinions for it.

No offense, but the notion of mixing espresso with water to make "Americano" seems odd at best (I won't say what it seems like at worst). It's popular in some coffee places, especially ones that don't have regular coffee makers but rely solely on espresso. I've tried it, and it's not good at all. It tastes like watered down espresso.

The only thing worse I've come across, coffee-wise, is "iced espresso." That tastes like cold, watered-down espresso, yuck!
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
October 24th, 2012 at 6:51:11 PM permalink

I thought I'd get some opinions for it.

No offense, but the notion of mixing espresso with water to make "Americano" seems odd at best (I won't say what it seems like at worst). It's popular in some coffee places, especially ones that don't have regular coffee makers but rely solely on espresso. I've tried it, and it's not good at all. It taInnterestuiastes like watered down espresso.

The only thing worse I've come across, coffee-wise, is "iced espresso." That tastes like cold, watered-down espresso, yuck!

I wouldnt say its much water maybe 2 tablespoons..I've never ordered an americano so I dont know what the ratio would be. I agree about starbucks having a burnt roast. I drink strictly black coffee and I can happily add some water to mellow that out a tad.

I guess my point about nespresso is they have many many types so Im not sure what you tried. Ive had one that was heinous that was in a variety mix given to my wife. You have to try some to see what you like..william sonoma will let you sample in the store but they dont sell the capsules. Not worth the money if you are happy with what you have.
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." E.E. Cummings
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
October 24th, 2012 at 7:00:29 PM permalink
Trying to figure out why I even read this thread. I drink coffee black, with sweetener and that's it. Maxwell House is fine with me, and I can't stand Starbucks. (It tastes way too earthy.) When I want to go hog wild, I'll add a shot of Amaretto to a tall mug of coffee.

I guess that makes me the equivalent of a Pabst Blue Ribbon drinker posting on a Micro brew thread about Rogue or Stone breweries.

Still, it is interesting to see how serious some people are about their morning cup . . .
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2012 at 8:03:23 PM permalink
Quote: Scotty71

I wouldnt say its much water maybe 2 tablespoons..I've never ordered an americano so I dont know what the ratio would be.

Usually one single shot of espresso in a cup of hot water.

I never add water to brewed coffee, except in emergencies (ie I need to leave before the coffee will cool down enough to drink it fast, and I really need the caffeine and there's no diet coke). I will add some to instant coffee if I need it to cool quickly, or I'll use ice. But only n instant, which is pretty mediocre anyway.

Quote:

I guess my point about nespresso is they have many many types so Im not sure what you tried.

The boss brought over a big box with a variety of types (BTW, they're hard to tell apart; embossed script ona shiny surface is hard to read). Some smell nice, but I haven't tasted one that's good enough to drink regularly.
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2012 at 8:08:13 PM permalink
Quote: Toes14

Still, it is interesting to see how serious some people are about their morning cup . . .

Oh, no. My morning cup is instant and water. I don't have time to do the full coffee ritual (I told you this is a religion). That is, set up the filter, measure the coffee, add the water, get the machine going, cooling the basket and carafe, washing everything well. I'd rather sleep an extra 20 minutes.

At the office I fire up the Krupps and make good coffee. Speaking of which, I should go down to Walmart and buy a half kilo of what the house blend at a coffee stand right outside. Their espresso is really good, and they do use it in the frozen cappuccino...
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
October 24th, 2012 at 9:53:05 PM permalink

Oh, no. My morning cup is instant and water. I don't have time to do the full coffee ritual (I told you this is a religion). That is, set up the filter, measure the coffee, add the water, get the machine going, cooling the basket and carafe, washing everything well. I'd rather sleep an extra 20 minutes.

At the office I fire up the Krupps and make good coffee. Speaking of which, I should go down to Walmart and buy a half kilo of what the house blend at a coffee stand right outside. Their espresso is really good, and they do use it in the frozen cappuccino...

If you are going to the trouble to brew good coffee, try some coffee from a local roaster. That grocery store coffee may have been roasted 6 months ago or longer. I know you enjoy it, but freshly roasted coffee makes a big difference. If any of y'all are in Austin try some from Andersen's Coffee on Kerby Lane. House blend is $9.95 a lb. It is the best coffee I have ever had at any price. If you go on Tuesday or Thursday afternoon you can get it roasted the same day.

Tip #2. I don't do espresso, but for brewed coffee, brew it a little stronger than you like and then dilute it with water heated on the stove while the coffee is brewing. It is less bitter than using less ground coffee to begin with. Experiment for the right dilution.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2012 at 7:08:16 AM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

If you are going to the trouble to brew good coffee, try some coffee from a local roaster.

I do, sometimes. But I won't waste time and money for office coffee. Besides, I do get reimbursed for grocery store coffee, but not for other types.

• Jump to: