darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 148
  • Posts: 1626
February 23rd, 2015 at 3:47:46 AM permalink
Quote: sc15

If they're giving you disposable players cards preloaded with free play, here's an idea for a scam:

Play your free play, then take a magnet and demagnetize it, then take it to the player's club desk and say it doesn't work. When they try to swipe it, it really won't work since you messed with it.

This is assuming they don't bother printing a unique serial # on each card that they can use to track em.



This is also one of the main reasons I believe the casino is using the anonymous free-play to convince their investors they have full bus-loads of people. The tracking numbers prove the free-play was handed out. But that is just a theory on my part.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 148
  • Posts: 1626
ACMama
ACMama
Joined: Jan 8, 2015
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 54
February 23rd, 2015 at 6:47:23 AM permalink
Thanks for the interesting read. I cannot imagine spending my entire week riding a bus for a few bucks. But I also cannot imagine the Sands handing out these cards like candy just to raise their numbers. Makes you wonder who is hustling who :-)
I give this post an hour. Tee Hee!
bobsims
bobsims
Joined: Apr 8, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 316
February 23rd, 2015 at 7:46:37 AM permalink
$40 for $15 is just absurd. Mohegan Sun does it much smarter. For $25 they give you $20 in free play plus $15 in food credit. So the ride is still "better than free" for the player but since there is little (really none) market in reselling food credits there is no hustling...at least as far as I see. Just cheap f**** like me!
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 148
  • Posts: 1626
February 23rd, 2015 at 7:54:36 AM permalink
Quote: bobsims

$40 for $15 is just absurd. Mohegan Sun does it much smarter. For $25 they give you $20 in free play plus $15 in food credit. So the ride is still "better than free" for the player but since there is little (really none) market in reselling food credits there is no hustling...at least as far as I see. Just cheap f**** like me!



If that is what they give they changed it up. At the time the article took place, 2012-2013, Mohegan Sun gave $60 in matchplay for $18 ticket plus new members showing another casino card got $100 in freeplay.

I ap'd the crap out of that one.
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5431
February 23rd, 2015 at 8:27:27 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

If that is what they give they changed it up. At the time the article took place, 2012-2013, Mohegan Sun gave $60 in matchplay for $18 ticket plus new members showing another casino card got $100 in freeplay.

I ap'd the crap out of that one.

Motor City in Detroit was doing $30 for $15 for a long time with frequent rider bonuses and free buffets. It was a fun AP for a while. I would take the bus up there on Fridays, walk to Symphony Hall, see the Detroit Symphony, and then walk back and catch the bus back :)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 1060
February 23rd, 2015 at 9:08:16 AM permalink
Fascinating story, very well told. Thanks.
phendricks
phendricks
Joined: Aug 1, 2014
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 46
February 23rd, 2015 at 9:51:53 AM permalink
I was one of the first buyers of Sands Bethlehem free play cards way back in July of 2010, when table games were first introduced. Back then, one company, Mr. Ho's Travel Agency, controlled all the casino buses in Chinatown (Division St), Flushing (Main St), and Brooklyn (8th Ave).

There was even a Chinatown bus that made 3 trips in one day (7AM, 3PM, 11PM). And 60 dedicated riders who rode that bus for 6 months straight.

Back in 2010, the free play amount was $30. I bought the cards for $27 (and later $28). Riders also received a $5 food coupon per trip. Those sold for between $1 and $2. The bus fare was $13 + $2 tip. You do the math on how much a rider could make per day.

I ran 99% of the cards I bought through the ShuffleMaster Royal Match blackjack machine (H17 LS DA2 DAS 8D), the other 1% through a 8/5 Quick Quads Bonus Poker machine (99.55%). The reason being: you don't want 100 Chinese men and women gathered around an isolated VP machine right in front of the security podium, but the blackjack machines accommodated 5 people, the other 4 being non-Asian ploppies.

I had competition from one Hokkien lady and a Cantonese man. Problem is, they couldn't stay away from the baccarat tables after the night shift.

Good times. Even made a small fortune (low/mid 5-figures) before a rogue bus driver decided to do something disgusting on casino property. Mr. Ho's contract was not renewed for 2011 after the incident.

This is when today's companies (Lucky 9, Baccarat 88, etc.) started their daily line runs to Sands.

darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 148
  • Posts: 1626
February 23rd, 2015 at 11:10:58 PM permalink
Quote: phendricks


Good times. Even made a small fortune (low/mid 5-figures) before a rogue bus driver decided to do something disgusting on casino property. Mr. Ho's contract was not renewed for 2011 after the incident.

This is when today's companies (Lucky 9, Baccarat 88, etc.) started their daily line runs to Sands.



Interesting. Could you elaborate what was the disgusting thing the driver did that caused the loss of a casino contract?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 12741
February 23rd, 2015 at 11:26:59 PM permalink
Quote: phendricks

I was one of the first buyers of Sands Bethlehem free play cards way back in July of 2010, when table games were first introduced. Back then, one company, Mr. Ho's Travel Agency, controlled all the casino buses in Chinatown (Division St), Flushing (Main St), and Brooklyn (8th Ave).

There was even a Chinatown bus that made 3 trips in one day (7AM, 3PM, 11PM). And 60 dedicated riders who rode that bus for 6 months straight.

Back in 2010, the free play amount was $30. I bought the cards for $27 (and later $28). Riders also received a $5 food coupon per trip. Those sold for between $1 and $2. The bus fare was $13 + $2 tip. You do the math on how much a rider could make per day.

I ran 99% of the cards I bought through the ShuffleMaster Royal Match blackjack machine (H17 LS DA2 DAS 8D), the other 1% through a 8/5 Quick Quads Bonus Poker machine (99.55%). The reason being: you don't want 100 Chinese men and women gathered around an isolated VP machine right in front of the security podium, but the blackjack machines accommodated 5 people, the other 4 being non-Asian ploppies.

I had competition from one Hokkien lady and a Cantonese man. Problem is, they couldn't stay away from the baccarat tables after the night shift.

Good times. Even made a small fortune (low/mid 5-figures) before a rogue bus driver decided to do something disgusting on casino property. Mr. Ho's contract was not renewed for 2011 after the incident.

This is when today's companies (Lucky 9, Baccarat 88, etc.) started their daily line runs to Sands.

You were one of the first buyers and you paid $27? That's horrible, you should have gotten them for much less.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪

  • Jump to: