rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
March 10th, 2013 at 6:12:16 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Are these things really useful for self defense? What if you some kid runs up to you and grabs this gun out of your belt. Are you responsible?

Well, a belt buckle knife looks like a belt buckle until you snatch it off. Is this made to be worn facing forward?

Belt buckle knifes are also illegal in many places.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
March 10th, 2013 at 6:38:10 PM permalink
I prefer something like this with baggy pants.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 10th, 2013 at 7:38:52 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I prefer something like this with baggy pants.

I couldn't imagine. Probably good for concealment, but I'd never be able to bring it into play from way down there.

I holster carry when out in the sticks with an OWB retention holster. When in town, I almost always pocket carry; in the hoody pouch when cold, in my shorts pocket when warm.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
March 18th, 2013 at 12:13:54 AM permalink
Ankle holsters rock for getting to your gun while sitting/driving.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
March 18th, 2013 at 12:18:57 AM permalink
Ankle holsters are good because after you hit the floor from being shot its easy to get your gun out. :)
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
March 18th, 2013 at 3:34:09 AM permalink
Whatevs, dude. I wouldn't want it to be my primary but it's a solid carry location for a back-up gun.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 7th, 2013 at 11:22:39 PM permalink
I definitely lost my steam for buying a gun - I was all gung-ho about it last spring/fall, in fact it was right about this time last year that I took my intro to handguns course.

Anyway, I'm trying to be more disciplined about following through, so I've added "Buy a gun safe" to my list of to-dos and given a due date in the near future. Once I do that I will move on to getting the gun. Think I've settled on a Glock 17, so I'll just need to shop around the shops here. Would love to get 3 magazines with it.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
April 9th, 2013 at 1:09:06 AM permalink
Don't overlook the Glock 19. Quite possibly the perfect pistol. 17 is a solid choice as well. 19 is easier to carry.

I thought everyone was full of crap when they told me to buy more gun safe than I thought I would need. They were right. Listen to them.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 9th, 2013 at 5:05:24 AM permalink
Caught in a downpour in Tuscon, AZ, I took refuge in a pawn shop and wandered up and down the display case of revolvers, belt buckles and automatics until I became somewhat suspicious of the category assortment and went back to take a closer look at the belt buckles. In Arizona's open display culture I'm sure they would be legal but I've no idea about how effective they might me.

Derringers and the like were often sleeve and purse guns where the user knew it would be at close range or not at all. Seated at a gambling table a card sharp might have a chance simply because he was first to draw and fire. I understand that most were one shot or two shot pistols. I doubt the weapons were suitable for anything that might be described as a sustained gun battle. The victim might eventually succumb but would mainly be annoyed and distracted while a getaway might be made amidst the resulting confusion and hesitation.

In our society the hassle from cops and rentacops would not be worth having a toy self defense weapon. Street punks and home invaders often use very large pistols for their intimidation effects. A homeowner desperately going for his belt buckle would probably kill intruders by making them laugh to death.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 9th, 2013 at 9:40:30 AM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

Don't overlook the Glock 19. Quite possibly the perfect pistol. 17 is a solid choice as well. 19 is easier to carry.

Damn it, now you've got me wavering. I've barely shot the 19, but I remember it being not much smaller than the 17. I do have a CPL, but I don't plan on carrying much, if at all, in the near future.

Since it's been a while, I suppose I should go back to the range and do another round of test shooting :).

Quote:

I thought everyone was full of crap when they told me to buy more gun safe than I thought I would need. They were right. Listen to them.

Yeah, I would love to get something with enough space for a couple rifles/shotguns. Space *may* be an issue, but I think I've got enough in my closet to handle that big. We'll see.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer

• Jump to: