paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
December 12th, 2011 at 10:35:19 PM permalink
Man From The South

Is the opening shot in the story Fremont St?
waltomeal
waltomeal
  • Threads: 7
December 12th, 2011 at 11:56:51 PM permalink
Quite clearly. Before that silly canopy.
Old enough to repaint. Young enough to sell.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 13th, 2011 at 12:52:36 AM permalink
Stock footage as an establishment shot or something maybe. I'm sure there was a second unit doing something.
The film was shot on a sound stage in Hollywood and if you watch closely you can see the shadow of a boom mike over Steve McQueen's shoulder.

Movies are often shot where its cheap to shoot. Prime Cut, a Lee Marvin film featuring the Kansas City mob had thirty eight seconds of Intro footage that was actually shot in Kansas City, but the rest of the movie was shot in Canada including the shots of the Kansas State Fair which was actually a Canadian event with one scene wherein a vendor was hawking Kansas City gimcracks.

Elsewhere Croupier was mentioned recently. That film actually did fly two of the actors to The Wild Coast to film a very brief scene with which the movie closes. I'd have expected some sort of Blue Screen action while stock footage rolls in the background but they actually flew the stars there for the shot.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 13th, 2011 at 4:45:42 AM permalink
They re-did this episode in a short-running Hitchcock program around 1990 [?] Didn't realize at the time that it was a re-do.

Quote: SPOILER ALERT - Highlight with Mouse To Reveal

In that version, as I remember, the character Lorre plays raises the cleaver after winning the bet and is ready to chop off the finger, interrupted only at that point.

What a great episode! Maybe the best one of the Hitchcocks! I really like "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and own dvds of seasons 1,2 & 3. This is later I think.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: