4 votes (8%)
4 votes (8%)

50 members have voted

FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
June 11th, 2013 at 11:05:27 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I'm honestly excited/intrigued to see what Belichick has in store for Tebow (assuming he makes the team).

I listen to Adam Carolla daily and while not exactly a tactical football genius, he had an interesting idea...make Tebow your punter for anything under 4th-and-5. He's athletic enough that I bet he can punt 75% or 80% as well as an NFL punter. Just have him punt the first few times, then have him take off every now and then. The defense will be in constant fear...well apprehension at least. Makes it harder to set up the return effectively, and you might even bring your return man up to play D, and then you've basically got a free punt if you want it!

My secondary beef* with the NFL is that it's very boring and vanilla...college is so much more exciting and has more variety. IMO it doesn't have to be this way, there is statistical weight behind going for it more often on 4th down for one thing. As much as I hate the Patriots, Belichick thinks outside the box and does it mostly effectively (again IMO).

*Primary beef is the more and more ridiculous rules favoring the offense. PI is a joke, roughing the quarterback is a farce at this point. Just give the QB a red jersey and say you can't touch him and be done with it.

I love the punting idea. I also love the idea of Tebow on the Patriots. It's a perfect fit and I hope Belichick can do some interesting things with him. Of course everyone in the NFL will say that Tebow is done. It's because they are all scared and have no imagination. Football could actually be fun to watch if there was more ingenuity.
spc623
spc623
  • Threads: 1
June 11th, 2013 at 11:26:13 AM permalink
I agree..... Not saying that the throw was luck, but 9 times out of 10 he wouldn't of been able to hit that pass. Regardless of if you love of hate Tebow, I think we can all agree that he is an amazing player, athlete, and person, but a very bad quarterback.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
June 11th, 2013 at 11:26:14 AM permalink
An odd combination. A devout quarterback and a coach who has no objection to cheating whenever he thinks it will benefit him !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 11th, 2013 at 12:28:42 PM permalink
Quote: spc623

I think we can all agree that he is an amazing player, athlete, and person, but a very bad quarterback.

No, I cannot agree with that.

He was a brilliant QB ... in college.

As for the NFL: well, that remains to be seen, doesn't it?

This horse hasn't been asked to run hard yet ...
"What, me worry?"
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 11th, 2013 at 12:35:25 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

An odd combination. A devout quarterback and a coach who has no objection to cheating whenever he thinks it will benefit him !

I hope they don't annihilate each other. I'd miss Bellichick.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
June 11th, 2013 at 12:40:00 PM permalink

I agree..... Not saying that the throw was luck, but 9 times out of 10 he wouldn't of been able to hit that pass.

The throw was unlikely to get caught. The defense was unlikely to blow the coverage. Both things happened, ergo Tebow got lucky.

Quote:

Regardless of if you love of hate Tebow, I think we can all agree that he is an amazing player, athlete, and person, but a very bad quarterback.

Maybe an amazing athlete.

As to QB, yes, he's not good. It depends a bit on how you rate a quarterback. Some people focus entirely on the QB's role as passer. That's important, yes, but the larger role is being the captain of the offense. The two roles are related. There are plenty of people who can throw a ball accurately and with a long range, but are terrible at spotting coverage, reading the defense, etc.
spc623
spc623
June 11th, 2013 at 12:48:53 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

No, I cannot agree with that.

He was a brilliant QB ... in college.

As for the NFL: well, that remains to be seen, doesn't it?

This horse hasn't been asked to run hard yet ...

Sorry I misspoke, he was an amazing quarterback in college, but I was referring to his impact on the patriots. I can't agree with "it remains to be seen". The argument will be brought up that he did go on a nice winning streak with the broncos and win a playoff game, but his crazy play style won't consistently win in the NFL. I'm not a coach so I may be wrong, but I think there is a very good reason why no one is making him a starter.
spc623
spc623
June 11th, 2013 at 12:56:20 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Maybe an amazing athlete.

As to QB, yes, he's not good. It depends a bit on how you rate a quarterback. Some people focus entirely on the QB's role as passer. That's important, yes, but the larger role is being the captain of the offense. The two roles are related. There are plenty of people who can throw a ball accurately and with a long range, but are terrible at spotting coverage, reading the defense, etc.

Absolutely a quarterback must be well rounded in all areas to be considered great, but the question remains "is being a great leader enough".... He's not accurate and makes bad decisions when spotting coverage and reading defense. I just can't see his play style making an impact as a starter. He will come in on fourth and short and 2pt conversions. I hope belichick plays him in some reverse plays and plays him as a back occasionally.
Nareed
Nareed
June 11th, 2013 at 5:09:11 PM permalink

Absolutely a quarterback must be well rounded in all areas to be considered great, but the question remains "is being a great leader enough".... He's not accurate and makes bad decisions when spotting coverage and reading defense.

You answer your own question. A great leader, even a halfway decent leader, first of all must know where he's leading his people to.

Quote:

I just can't see his play style making an impact as a starter. He will come in on fourth and short and 2pt conversions. I hope belichick plays him in some reverse plays and plays him as a back occasionally.

It's too bad Tebow did not get to the NFL a bit earlier. Had Miami drafted him the year they debuted the Wildcat offense, he'd ahve been great at it.
  • Jump to: