Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 6th, 2011 at 2:14:26 PM permalink
The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy posted this statement in response to petitions to acknowledge communications with extraterrestrials.

I don't know what's sadder. That there's a government flunky somewhere with the leisure to answer such things (rather than throwing them in the waste basket), or that the flunky working in the science and technology policy office doesn't seem to know SETI uses radio telescopes.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
November 6th, 2011 at 2:50:42 PM permalink
You mean optical vs radio telescope? Nobody says optical either. Or am I missing something?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
November 6th, 2011 at 2:55:28 PM permalink
Also, this reminded me, the official librarian for the CIA was here with Roadrunners. (Former Area 51 workers.)

He confirmed that the government didn't have a problem with the alien stories and even encouraged the disinformation it created.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
November 6th, 2011 at 4:26:33 PM permalink
Yeah, but when we find them- those green goblins will need a starbucks and McD's on every spaceship.
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
Nareed
Nareed
November 6th, 2011 at 4:36:57 PM permalink
Quote: Scotty71

Yeah, but when we find them- those green goblins will need a starbucks and McD's on every spaceship.

That's only slightly more realistic than Obama's latest jobs plan. :)
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
November 6th, 2011 at 8:40:14 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy posted this statement in response to petitions to acknowledge communications with extraterrestrials.

I don't know what's sadder. That there's a government flunky somewhere with the leisure to answer such things (rather than throwing them in the waste basket), or that the flunky working in the science and technology policy office doesn't seem to know SETI uses radio telescopes.

Did you notice out of say 150MM non brain dead citizens less than 20,000 have signed the petitions. Talk about squeaky wheels getting some grease, they must have swing vote potential!
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
Nareed
Nareed
November 7th, 2011 at 8:42:56 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

You mean optical vs radio telescope? Nobody says optical either. Or am I missing something?

Commonly telescope means optical telescope. Other types of telescopes have their peculiar spectral band identified, be it a radio telescope, an infrared telescope, an X-ray telescope, etc.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 7th, 2011 at 9:54:16 AM permalink

"Your tax dollars at work". The first amendment to the Constitution of the United States guarantees the right of its citizens to petition their government. Petitions, no matter how silly, require a response. This was probably the least expensive way to address the grievances contained within this particular petition. I think my tax dollars are working just fine, thank you very much!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 7th, 2011 at 10:04:41 AM permalink
"A telescope is an instrument that aids in the observation of remote objects by collecting electromagnetic radiation".
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
November 7th, 2011 at 11:14:12 AM permalink

the flunky working in the science and technology policy office doesn't seem to know SETI uses radio telescopes.

Huh?
giant ear on behalf of the human race, pointing an array of ground-based telescopes towards space
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Nareed
Nareed
November 9th, 2011 at 9:57:54 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Huh?
giant ear on behalf of the human race, pointing an array of ground-based telescopes towards space

Ok, don't you think it's sad a flunky thus highly palced doesn't know radio telescopes do not receive sound?

Next we'll be hearing about the need to develop radium-free radio, I guess ;)
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
November 9th, 2011 at 10:03:20 AM permalink
"pointing an array of ground-based telescopes towards space to listen for any signal from another world."

It's a mistake to interpret that statement as "the government is listening for sound waves coming from outer space". There's no controversy here.

These are not the inept government employees you're looking for. Move along.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Nareed
Nareed
November 9th, 2011 at 10:11:09 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

"pointing an array of ground-based telescopes towards space to listen for any signal from another world."

What do you see with your ear?
rxwine
rxwine
November 9th, 2011 at 10:33:52 AM permalink

What do you see with your ear?

"I will listen to see if it's a knocking sound coming from the engine."

It's not that uncommon to hear or see, "hear" or "see" together like that, you see.

Er, colloquial, I guess.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 9th, 2011 at 10:59:41 AM permalink
The radio telescopes are neither eyes or ears. Eyes would be closer, as eyes collect visible light. The radio telescopes are scanning different frequencies of the energy spectrum looking for a signal that is aberrrant from expected. None of the light collected is from the visible spectrum.

Ears of course collect compressions and rarifications in sound waves. It's valid to say that the telescopes are listening but more accurate to say that they are looking.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
November 9th, 2011 at 11:16:52 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Ears of course collect compressions and rarifications in sound waves. It's valid to say that the telescopes are listening but more accurate to say that they are looking.

They are "looking" for radio waves, that we, humans are used to "listening" to (via the radio). Thus, the analogy with ears.
Don't overthink it, it's just an analogy.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Nareed
Nareed
November 9th, 2011 at 11:31:51 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

They are "looking" for radio waves, that we, humans are used to "listening" to (via the radio). Thus, the analogy with ears.
Don't overthink it, it's just an analogy.

Yes, but it's a flawed analogy. "Radio" waves fo the kind used in acoustical broadcast media are a subset of a part of the EM spectrum. The same subset can be used to transmit all other kinds of information, like TV signals, Wi-Fi, etc.

Oh, well. You try to make a little joke about UFO watchers and incompetent byreaucrats, and this is what you get <sigh>
  • Jump to: