2 votes (20%)
3 votes (30%)

10 members have voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 15th, 2012 at 6:52:43 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

To complete that image, is it possible that the zones on the map are the designated red light zones for the $47 prostitutes and is the "luxurious" Hotel Caribe in one of them? The resolution, even in blow-up, is just too fuzzy.

I spent a few days in the city of Cartegena Colombia 38 years ago. I staid in decent hotels. I wonder if that was where I stayed in Cartegena?
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 18th, 2012 at 9:01:28 PM permalink
Sticking with the summit of the Americas them, I checked the revised census bureau statements on Latin America.

The following 6 major Spanish speaking nations now have fertility rate equal to or below the USA
1.45 Cuba 11,075,244
1.87 Chile 17,028,743
1.87 Uruguay 3,316,328
1.92 Costa Rica 4,636,348
2.04 El Salvador 6,090,646
2.06 Paraguay 6,541,591
1.72 Trinidad and Tobago 1,226,383 (some Spanish influence)

Within 5 years, two more Spanish speaking nations will drop their fertility rate below the USA
1.89 Nicaragua 6,025,951
2.00 Colombia 47,698,524

In 20 years nearly all the countries in the Western Hemisphere will have fertility rates below the USA. The 7 exceptions are
Venezuela
Dominican Republic
Haiti
Bolivia
Honduras
Guatemala
Belize

Birth rates will remain high for the next generation, because even though the fertility rate goes down, it takes a while for the population to get older.

However, freed from the burden of caring for an exploding population, Latin America will be free to grow economically. There may even be the day when portions of Latin America develops economies that are richer than much of the USA.

Keep in mind that Ireland was one of the poor countries in Western Europe, until it exploded economically and became one of the wealthiest. Many people have pointed out that Ireland was better suited for the post industrial world, because having skipped the industrial revolution, it didn't have the clean up problem left by aging manufacturing centers (like in England).
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
April 18th, 2012 at 10:25:25 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

However, freed from the burden of caring for an exploding population, Latin America will be free to grow economically. There may even be the day when portions of Latin America develops economies that are richer than much of the USA.

Latin America is the worlds largest growing market. I just got done w a decade in Big Pharma HR and in the last 8 years a huge effort has been made in corp America to recruit Latin American executives. In a short amount of time Latin Americas buying power will surpass America if it has not already.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 26th, 2012 at 8:21:34 AM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

Latin America is the worlds largest growing market. I just got done w a decade in Big Pharma HR and in the last 8 years a huge effort has been made in corp America to recruit Latin American executives. In a short amount of time Latin Americas buying power will surpass America if it has not already.

I assume you mean collective buying power (not per person). Brazil & Mexico combined have slightly more people than the USA, while the rest of Latin America has a population in the high 200 millions (depending on which countries you include like French Creole speaking Haiti).

Now that the major countries have reasonable fertility rates, population growth will not as easily outstrip capacity to expand.

But presently the GDP of Latin America is about a 1/3 of that of the USA (using the Atlas Method favored by the World Bank which uses a three-year average of exchange rates).

But the self identified Latino population of the USA is also larger than any single country in Latin America (except Mexico and Brazil).

• Jump to: