Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
August 4th, 2011 at 6:30:15 AM permalink
So, hoist an IPA today, if you are so inclined! And if you're not holding the car keys, indulge yourself; hoist another!
A falling knife has no handle.
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
August 4th, 2011 at 6:44:16 AM permalink
Great for the hop heads! Better yet, hoist an Imperial IPA(IIPA)
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
August 4th, 2011 at 11:32:41 AM permalink
Good timing! My monthly beer club meeting is the first Thursday which is tonight and our theme for the month is --- IPA (including IIPA and Black IPA).
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 4th, 2011 at 1:30:12 PM permalink
Quote: kp

Black IPA

not familiar with that , do tell
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Alan
Alan
August 4th, 2011 at 2:51:01 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

not familiar with that , do tell

Yep, sounds interesting. Must have either some chocolate malt or black patent? New style for BJCP? How many IBU's?
kp
kp
August 4th, 2011 at 3:10:10 PM permalink
A black IPA is an IPA that is dark/black in color, usually with the addition of roasted malt. So you'll have all the citrus or pine of a normal IPA but with the roasted malt from a stout. It can be a nice combination. The IBUs would be standard for an IPA, which means all over the upper spectrum. I'm not sure if BJCP recognizes the style yet.

Sierra Nevada just came out with a 12-pack mixed box called the "Beer Camp" series that included a black IPA (Juniper Black Ale). The last Sam Adams LongShot six pack had a black IPA (Blackened Hops). The Sierra Nevada may still be around by the Sam Adams is probably off the shelves.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
August 4th, 2011 at 3:24:33 PM permalink
I decided on Stone's Ruination IPA.

Dinner is on the grill, everything is in "dwell" mode so it's ready in about 10 more minutes. We're out on the deck. It's a beautiful early evening, overcast but about 70*; every few minutes a spatter of light rain hits the top of the umbrella. The dog is sitting faithfully under the table; she knows it's only a matter of time. Life is good.
A falling knife has no handle.
Alan
Alan
August 4th, 2011 at 3:26:54 PM permalink
Dark malts can be bitter in and of themselves, so I guess some care is needed in not to over-bitter the beer with hops. Mid-boil flavor hops is a different story, as well as the flame out(last 5-minute) aroma hops. Sounds good tho if you like dark beers.
kp
kp
August 4th, 2011 at 4:14:59 PM permalink
Done right, the bitterness of the dark malts can blend really well with the bitterness of the hops. I much prefer an IPA with lots of flavor and aroma hops and just enough bitterness to balance the sweetness.
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
August 4th, 2011 at 4:25:57 PM permalink
Just thought I'd add my two cents worth.

Greater than 90% of the beer my wife drinks is an IPA species. I'll have one occasionally when in the mood or a draught when we go to a brew pub and something tasty is on tap.

Looking in the beer fridge in the garage today, we have 1) Mojo IPA (7.2%) from the Boulder Beer Company, Boulder CO and 2) White Hawk Select IPA (7.0%) from the Mendocino Brewing Company, Ukiah CA.

Her usual favorite is Torpedo IPA (7.2%) from the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Chico CA. That's an easy one to find most everywhere around here in New Mexico.

I remember back in Florida, our favorite was the Dogfish Head Brand of IPA, from Milton DE...there was a 90 minute one (9%) that was really tasty and potent. The 60 minute (6%) was good too.

I've been laying off the beer lately as it seems to be creating havoc with my girlish figure as I get older!

My new favorite has been Grey Goose, usually with tonic. It seems to be a cleaner buzz with alot less bloating and gas.

Enjoy the Day!
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Alan
Alan
August 4th, 2011 at 4:58:02 PM permalink
I don't know about the rest that you mentioned, but the Dogfish Head beers are expensive, but so are hops. To hop the hell out of a beer is something else and your wife must be something else, too. Not a lot of people can hang with hoppy beers, especially over the top ones. Personally, I'm an Amber, Brown(and seasonal-ale) kinda guy. Our local brewery here in Houston(St. Arnolds) had a really kick-ass Oktoberfest last year(and I drank a ton of them), they brewed their Christmas batch in July(this year) for the heck of it, because it's a popular beer, too, although not a lot and it's somewhat difficult to find. The lagers they brew I'm not too fond of, but I'm not typically a lager guy anyway....cheers!!

edited to add to anyone reading that an Oktoberfest is a lager, but the one's I've had are Ale tasting(typically more flavor)
  • Jump to: