Thread Rating:

Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
December 18th, 2020 at 1:28:09 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Mostly I’m posting to give the forum some good news.... my son graduated with his PhD in entomology today! University of Florida.

Congrats to Son of SOOPOO from another UF grad... I guess he would be Dr. Son of SOOPOO now! :)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
December 18th, 2020 at 2:14:15 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Congrats to Son of SOOPOO from another UF grad... I guess he would be Dr. Son of SOOPOO now! :)

His undergraduate degree is from Carnegie Mellon. Some other forum member is also a grad there. His Masters is from Mississippi State. He has been around. There is a decent chance I’ll be in The Villages around an hour from him!

Yes.... but remember the real SOOPOO is his mother, who is a Juris Doctor... I just got the ‘SOOPOO’ title in the divorce decree......
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
December 18th, 2020 at 3:29:42 PM permalink
I think perhaps the only time that I met David in person was when a group of us gathered in Murphy, NC for the 8/21/17 total solar eclipse. You introduced the two of us using my forum name of Doc and noted that it was derived from my PhD. He asked you whether folks would call him "Doc" when he finished his studies.

Please congratulate him for this accomplishment and tell him that I will call him Doc, so long as he doesn't let either the title or his field of study "bug" him. Perhaps others will use it, also.

If anyone ever wants to gripe to him that "Doc" should refer to people in the medical profession, tell him to shoot back at them that the vast majority of medical degrees (and likely as well his mother's JD) are categorized by academia as "first professional degrees", rather than academic doctorates, mostly due to the lack of a defended and published dissertation to advance the knowledge base in the degree recipient's field of study. I could relate some of the history of this practice, but the forum might not want to have it taking up space.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 18th, 2020 at 4:31:16 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I think perhaps the only time that I met David in person was when a group of us gathered in Murphy, NC for the 8/21/17 total solar eclipse. You introduced the two of us using my forum name of Doc and noted that it was derived from my PhD. He asked you whether folks would call him "Doc" when he finished his studies.

Please congratulate him for this accomplishment and tell him that I will call him Doc, so long as he doesn't let either the title or his field of study "bug" him. Perhaps others will use it, also.

If anyone ever wants to gripe to him that "Doc" should refer to people in the medical profession, tell him to shoot back at them that the vast majority of medical degrees (and likely as well his mother's JD) are categorized by academia as "first professional degrees", rather than academic doctorates, mostly due to the lack of a defended and published dissertation to advance the knowledge base in the degree recipient's field of study. I could relate some of the history of this practice, but the forum might not want to have it taking up space.

Thanks Doc! The only time he should NOT be referred to as Dr. Son of SOOPOO is when it would mislead someone into thinking he is a medical doctor. His PhD probably took DOUBLE the amount of hours to attain compared to my MD degree.

For those in a similar situation to me.... they will understand..... OFF THE PAYROLL!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
December 18th, 2020 at 5:20:00 PM permalink
He can carry a bug sized stethoscope.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
December 18th, 2020 at 5:22:54 PM permalink
What was his dissertation on?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 18th, 2020 at 6:32:07 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What was his dissertation on?

Emerald moths.... It will be published. Not in 'his' journal. David is now Editor - in - Chief of Insecta Mundi. Are you a subscriber?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 18th, 2020 at 7:11:04 PM permalink
Congratulations David! I am not surprised, as you come from two brilliant parents.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rxwine
rxwine
December 18th, 2020 at 7:15:49 PM permalink

Emerald moths.... It will be published. Not in 'his' journal. David is now Editor - in - Chief of Insecta Mundi. Are you a subscriber?

The words are too big for my casual reading tastes. Does he know if the moths in the Luxor light go blind?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 18th, 2020 at 7:35:28 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Congratulations David! I am not surprised, as you come from two brilliant parents.

That is very sweet of you Mike! I will pass the kind words on to him. And the original SOOPOO. Once this pandemic is over (meaning I get a vaccine!) I will try and arrange for David to get back to Vegas again.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 18th, 2020 at 7:41:35 PM permalink

Once this pandemic is over (meaning I get a vaccine!) I will try and arrange for David to get back to Vegas again.

That would be great! Maybe for the 2021 Spring Fling. Speaking of which, I've been meaning to post about that.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 19th, 2020 at 1:16:21 PM permalink

Mostly I’m posting to give the forum some good news.... my son graduated with his PhD in entomology today! University of Florida.

Congrats to him. What type of work does he want to pursue with an entomology degree?

Sadly, my daughter had full ride scholarships to the best universities in the country (Princeton, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, etc) and only wanted to go where her best friend went. U Nevada-Reno. She got her business degree and is now a waitress. Dad is sad.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
December 19th, 2020 at 3:07:31 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Congrats to him. What type of work does he want to pursue with an entomology degree?

Sadly, my daughter had full ride scholarships to the best universities in the country (Princeton, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, etc) and only wanted to go where her best friend went. U Nevada-Reno. She got her business degree and is now a waitress. Dad is sad.

Who cares? Life is meaningless anyway 😉🍻
100% risk of ruin
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 19th, 2020 at 7:56:13 PM permalink

Congrats to him. What type of work does he want to pursue with an entomology degree?.

He wants to be a museum curator. It would need to be one that has a ‘bug’ collection. But in general I think he wants academic ‘research’ over academic ‘teaching’.
DRich
DRich
December 20th, 2020 at 7:12:55 AM permalink

He wants to be a museum curator. It would need to be one that has a ‘bug’ collection. But in general I think he wants academic ‘research’ over academic ‘teaching’.

Wow, that is awesome. I have never heard of anyone wanting to be a curator.

I was in Florida in November and saw two bugs that I haven't seen before. I would think U of F would be a great place to study bugs.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 20th, 2020 at 7:26:24 AM permalink

Wow, that is awesome. I have never heard of anyone wanting to be a curator.

I was in Florida in November and saw two bugs that I haven't seen before. I would think U of F would be a great place to study bugs.

So when he graduated college he discussed his plans with us, and said "the best place to learn about XXX is under Dr. YYY at Cornell, can I go there?' We (real SOOPOO and me) of course said yes. Maybe 3 hour drive.... kind of like Carnegie Mellon.... During the process he found out Dr. YYY was retiring, and said Dr. ZZZ is the second best to study under. So off to Mississippi State! After getting his masters there he said the best place to continue to grow academically was Florida, so he went there, and at least for the short term will stay there.

Entomology museum curator jobs do not come up often. If one becomes available that he would qualify for I am pretty sure he would pack up and go, even if it is not in the USA.

His love for the field started in college at CMU. Had he not gone to such a school he would not have found this passion. The value for my $50k a year to send him there..... priceless!
DRich
DRich
December 20th, 2020 at 8:06:27 AM permalink

So when he graduated college he discussed his plans with us, and said "the best place to learn about XXX is under Dr. YYY at Cornell, can I go there?' We (real SOOPOO and me) of course said yes. Maybe 3 hour drive.... kind of like Carnegie Mellon.... During the process he found out Dr. YYY was retiring, and said Dr. ZZZ is the second best to study under. So off to Mississippi State! After getting his masters there he said the best place to continue to grow academically was Florida, so he went there, and at least for the short term will stay there.

Entomology museum curator jobs do not come up often. If one becomes available that he would qualify for I am pretty sure he would pack up and go, even if it is not in the USA.

His love for the field started in college at CMU. Had he not gone to such a school he would not have found this passion. The value for my $50k a year to send him there..... priceless!

You are very fortunate to have such a great son. You and your wife should be commended for that.
  • Jump to: