JimMorrison
JimMorrison
  • Threads: 21
April 19th, 2011 at 3:38:40 AM permalink
Did any watch Game of Thrones on HBO Sunday night? Hard to miss if you have HBO since they played it three times in a row. HBO also rolled out the biggest promotional campaign I've ever seen for a TV show. Curious to hear your thoughts on it whether you've read the books or not. Personally, I heard it was coming to HBO about a year and a half ago. Since I'm a big fan of many of their shows (Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, etc) I knew I'd give it a shot and ordered the books on Amazon. I'm not a fan of "fantasy" at all and the book almost lost me with the prologue. But I stuck with it and a few chapters later I was hooked. I think hands down, GoT is the best series of books I've ever read. The TV show has a lot of potential too. It's hard to take so many characters (and so many pages) and condense them into one hour formats but I think HBO did a pretty good job. What did you think? Let's try and leave spoilers out of it if you've read the books since I'm sure many have not.
EvenBob: "Look America, I have a tiny wee-wee, can anybody help me?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 19th, 2011 at 3:50:42 AM permalink
Quote: JimMorrison

Did any watch Game of Thrones .

I canceled HBO after they canceled Deadwood. I've heard of nothing since to make me subscribe again. Is this it?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 19th, 2011 at 3:59:18 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I canceled HBO after they canceled Deadwood. I've heard of nothing since to make me subscribe again. Is this it?

Man was I pissed off when they canceled Deadwood! Al Swearengen was one of the best characters ever on TV! I'm biased because I loved the books but I think it is the one. Check it out, they have a million trailers and clips online you could watch.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 19th, 2011 at 4:09:00 AM permalink

Man was I pissed off when they canceled Deadwood! Al Swearengen was one of the best characters ever on TV! .

I saw every ep of Deadwood 15 times BEFORE I bought the DVD's. Its the best show ever on TV. Ever. Keith Carradine's portrayal of Hickock is outstanding. There is so much about this series thats outstanding, you could write a book. My wife and I went to Deadwood in 2004, just because of the series. Its amazing, it really is a gulch, the hills around the town go straight up. That prick Milch promised two movies to tie the series up, knowing full well he'd never do them. My consolation is, he's never done anything any good since. Jerk...
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 20th, 2011 at 6:08:43 PM permalink
HBO announced they've already renewed Game of Thrones for a second season! It will follow the storyline of the second book, Clash of Kings.
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 25th, 2011 at 9:46:06 PM permalink
Anyone else watching this?? Another good episode last night!
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
April 26th, 2011 at 8:52:07 AM permalink

HBO announced they've already renewed Game of Thrones for a second season! It will follow the storyline of the second book, Clash of Kings.

At this rate it will never go past season four as it takes Martin many years between books and I can only see this HBO deal slowing him down.
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 26th, 2011 at 4:24:57 PM permalink
Quote: kp

At this rate it will never go past season four as it takes Martin many years between books and I can only see this HBO deal slowing him down.

That is a concern but Martin has said that he doesn't think it will necessarily be one season per book. Storm of Swords he thinks will be two seasons for example. Maybe an extra season or two will help him stay ahead. He does have a lot more incentive now to get the books out fast than he did before.
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
April 26th, 2011 at 7:02:11 PM permalink

He does have a lot more incentive now to get the books out fast than he did before.

He also has a lot more distractions now as well. I'm all for anything that gets him back to writing.
clarkacal
clarkacal
  • Threads: 42
April 26th, 2011 at 7:17:35 PM permalink
I've watched the first two episodes on demand and found them entertaining enough to keep watching. I didn't realize they were based on a series of books, but it makes sense as original as it is. Big fan of fantasy and sci fi so maybe I should read the books first. Sean Bean is a great actor too.
PeteM
PeteM
  • Threads: 4
April 26th, 2011 at 7:50:02 PM permalink
Lannister vs Stark- Lancaster vs York. Writers will file the serial numbers off of anything and use it. The first two episodes have been great, if a bit grim at times. I think we've established the Lannisters are bad people. So no more pushing little kids out of tower windows or killing unsuspecting direwolf pups. Guess I'm just sqeamish at heart. Any bets as to who the father of that teenage prince is? hmm...?
"Win with a smile, lose with grace."
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 26th, 2011 at 10:37:18 PM permalink
Quote: clarkacal

Sean Bean is a great actor too.

I loved him in "Sharpe" the British series about British Riflemen in the Napoleonic Wars. Fantastic stuff.

Problem is, he's a Sheffield United fan, and as a Sheffield Wednesday fan, you just can't give him respect.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 27th, 2011 at 2:34:23 AM permalink

I'm not a fan of "fantasy" at all and the book almost lost me with the prologue.

I would think a gambler would be focused on reality, not fantasy. Whatever vampires, ninjas, mutants, time-travelers, clones or crazies are involved... forget it. Innovation in television has come from pay tv because of the sex boundaries being far different than broadcast tv but it seems innovation these days is focused on feminist vampire bondage in the 26th century or the like.
  • Jump to: