Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 19th, 2011 at 12:33:48 PM permalink
Quote: JimMorrison

I read most days and average about a book a week which I think is probably well above the average.

It depends on your standards, or lack thereof :P

Seriously, as much as I read, I'd be hard pressed to find a new book each week.

Quote:

I've got a pretty good memory but I don't know about fantastic lol.

One reason never to re-read a book is that you recall it well indeed.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
April 19th, 2011 at 12:38:20 PM permalink

Plus there are already ways to hack an ebook onto Kindle from what I understand. I haven't tried it, mainly because I don't want to fuck up my Kindle somehow just to save $10 on a book but my brother-in-law says it's easy.

You don't hack the Kindle, you convert the file. A program called Cavandre will convert just about any document in any format to any other format, including Word, .pdf, .mob, whatever. I've used it, it works pretty well. It's not perfect, because it doesn't always handle links and notes (because those themselves are inconsistent even within the formats). But it will allow you to read library books, which are almost always in the epub format, on Kindles.

I love my Kindle; the books are actually worth more to me in the electronic format than they are in hard copy, because it's the information that I value. I read incessantly, and often have several books going at once. the Kindle allows me to take them all with me wherever I go. The only irritation is finding things within a book, and that refers to the inconsistency of formatting. I just finished Fab: An Intimate Biography of Paul McCartney, and I wanted to reference a quote by Marty Balin, and the search function was not activated by whoever converted the text. In other books, I could enter "Marty Balin" in the search feature and it would work like an e-index with active links, but Fab is not set up for that. Which is a fault of the publisher, not the Kindle. But whatever.

Nareed, I rarely re-read a book as well. I have no problems finding new things to read. I'll pick stuff at random if I have to. I just downloaded Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things. It looks like it will be interesting. If not, what the heck, it will be a couple days of knowledge for less than the price of a spin on the $5 WoF.
NO KILL I
Nareed
Nareed
April 19th, 2011 at 1:43:47 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Nareed, I rarely re-read a book as well. I have no problems finding new things to read. I'll pick stuff at random if I have to.

Yeah, I can't do that. Mostly I read, in order, Science Fiction, straight science, Alternate History, straight history (notice a pattern here?) and then anythign else I find interesting (not much).

So I'm left with re-reading books I've read. That's fine, BTW, since you can learn a lot more about writing that way.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 19th, 2011 at 1:46:06 PM permalink
Given the amount of science fiction churned out, I'm surprised you can't find a book a week in the genre alone.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
April 19th, 2011 at 1:54:43 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Given the amount of science fiction churned out, I'm surprised you can't find a book a week in the genre alone.

Again, it's all about standards. My taste runs to what might be called the golden Age: Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Del Rey, Simak, etc. Some writers I like are of the following generation: Niven, Pournelle, etc. And I can even read some more contemporary works like Timothy Zahn's Star Wars Thrawn trilogy. But most of what I've come accross since the late 80s, with some exceptions, was churned all right, and not very well.

Until recently, some fo the best SF was found on TV. Trek had some really good episodes, even in Voyager and Enterprise. Babylon 5 is a masterpiece. Stargate SG-1 was great, even if it got repetitive and gimmicky in the end. Atlantis was worth watching, even if they missed the easy solution to the Wraith problem. Stargate Universe, well, after 1.5 seasons I'm waiting for something to happen. No wonder it got cancelled.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
April 19th, 2011 at 3:53:20 PM permalink

I read most days and average about a book a week which I think is probably well above the average. However I am constantly buying new books, like I said unless it stands out I don't give them a re-read. I've got a pretty good memory but I don't know about fantastic lol.

Jim - Have you brought it into the poker room? Is it allowed in the room and/or on the table? I'm curious about the reaction of the other players as the camera and database features on handheld devices opens the possiblilty of an electronic "assist".
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
  • Threads: 21
April 19th, 2011 at 4:36:56 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Jim - Have you brought it into the poker room? Is it allowed in the room and/or on the table? I'm curious about the reaction of the other players as the camera and database features on handheld devices opens the possiblilty of an electronic "assist".

I have not tried it, I just got into the Kindle recently. I probably wouldn't take it to a table anyways, it just would draw attention and I'm pretty low key in a cash game. You can text at tables though and I've seen two different people with laptops at a poker table. One was watching a movie and the other actually playing a few tables on Full Tilt! I would guess every room would have different rules about electronics at the table.
EvenBob: "Look America, I have a tiny wee-wee, can anybody help me?"
Nareed
Nareed
April 19th, 2011 at 4:53:46 PM permalink

I have not tried it, I just got into the Kindle recently. I probably wouldn't take it to a table anyways, it just would draw attention and I'm pretty low key in a cash game.

If I saw another player reading at a poker game, I'd be so mad at the implied contempt I'd want to knock the figurative snot out of him. It wouldn't affect my play, I'd just want to. but it might affect greener players into betting (ie losing) more. Especially if you taunt them; like: I'll just read War and Peace while you all make up your minds."

Oh, I wouldn't bring a kindle, ipad, ipod, lapton, netbook, or any other expensive gadget along on a trip, much less to a table. But that's just me. (ok, I'm considering buying a tablet, ipad or other, provided I can download Amazon ebooks on it, and I might take it along on a trip. but I still wouldn't take it to the tables; it would be rude).
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
  • Threads: 21
April 19th, 2011 at 4:59:26 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

If I saw another player reading at a poker game, I'd be so mad at the implied contempt I'd want to knock the figurative snot out of him. It wouldn't affect my play, I'd just want to. but it might affect greener players into betting (ie losing) more. Especially if you taunt them; like: I'll just read War and Peace while you all make up your minds."

Oh, I wouldn't bring a kindle, ipad, ipod, lapton, netbook, or any other expensive gadget along on a trip, much less to a table. But that's just me. (ok, I'm considering buying a tablet, ipad or other, provided I can download Amazon ebooks on it, and I might take it along on a trip. but I still wouldn't take it to the tables; it would be rude).

The rudeness doesn't bother me at all. It just seems really stupid to sit there and read a book or watch a movie since you are telegraphing to the other players that you're a super tight player and plan on folding most of your hands. When you do get a good hand I think it would be pretty damn hard to get any kinda action at all.
EvenBob: "Look America, I have a tiny wee-wee, can anybody help me?"
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
April 19th, 2011 at 5:29:33 PM permalink

It just seems really stupid to sit there and read a book or watch a movie since you are telegraphing to the other players that you're a super tight player and plan on folding most of your hands. When you do get a good hand I think it would be pretty damn hard to get any kinda action at all.

Maybe thats what they want you to think.
[This space is intentionally left blank]

• Jump to: