JimMorrison
JimMorrison
  • Threads: 21
April 18th, 2011 at 9:54:22 PM permalink
I got a Kindle a while back and just started using it. I didn't know if I'd like it, it is very different than holding a book in your hand. Surprisingly I absolutely love it! It's amazing the type font they use. I've never liked other e-readers since they're tough on your eyes after a while but not the Kindle. Plus it's nice picking out a book on Amazon and being able to read it seconds later! Added bonus, no more boxes of old books that are pretty much worthless after you buy them!
EvenBob: "Look America, I have a tiny wee-wee, can anybody help me?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 18th, 2011 at 10:21:46 PM permalink
I have a Kindle, its in the drawer, I used it twice. All the books I wanted were either not available or cost 3 times what I could get them for used.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 18th, 2011 at 10:43:42 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I have a Kindle, its in the drawer, I used it twice. All the books I wanted were either not available or cost 3 times what I could get them for used.

I haven't noticed any problem getting books although perhaps you are reading older material or something. As for cost, I've never bought a used book but the price is a little higher than you might expect. Generally just under the price of a new book. Still worth it in my opinion.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 18th, 2011 at 11:02:38 PM permalink
Quote: JimMorrison

I haven't noticed any problem getting books although perhaps you are reading older material or something. As for cost, I've never bought a used book but the price is a little higher than you might expect. Generally just under the price of a new book. Still worth it in my opinion.

Many of the Kindle books are in the 7.99 to 9.99 range. You can usually buy the used paperback for a buck or two. I'm not saying its not a useful tool, I prefer the feel and smell of a real book. Kindle is great if you travel or read a lot of new release books.
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 18th, 2011 at 11:05:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Many of the Kindle books are in the 7.99 to 9.99 range. You can usually buy the used paperback for a buck or two. I'm not saying its not a useful tool, I prefer the feel and smell of a real book. Kindle is great if you travel or read a lot of new release books.

Yeah I do travel a lot and read new releases. Plus I literally have about 15 boxes of old books and I found you can't sell used books for much more than a buck. It's not worth my time to deal with selling them for that low so the boxes are a pain in the ass. I'm getting rid of them, my assistant was shipping them off to websites that pay you on paypal and take care of shipping. But I don't want to accumulate ever again so Kindle is an amazing solution for me!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 18th, 2011 at 11:08:08 PM permalink
I've used an ipad and a Kindle, and prefer the iPad for travel as it does much more than read books, though the Kindle is easier on the eye. The number of technical books on both is fantastic, and having one as a side kick reference while working is a real boon.

My Dad got a Kobo (like the Kindle) and loves it for travel... he reads voraciously on holiday and on flights and one small flat piece of electronics is much easier... plus the number of free and cheap books online is enough. Hardly stopped him buying paperbacks though as well... half the problem is the DRM is stupidly locked between countries with sometimes different parts of the same series being locked out in different areas.

There is indeed something about the feel, smell and general connection with a real book or magazine that's hard to beat.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 18th, 2011 at 11:12:49 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I've used an ipad and a Kindle, and prefer the iPad for travel as it does much more than read books, though the Kindle is easier on the eye. The number of technical books on both is fantastic, and having one as a side kick reference while working is a real boon.

My Dad got a Kobo (like the Kindle) and loves it for travel... he reads voraciously on holiday and on flights and one small flat piece of electronics is much easier... plus the number of free and cheap books online is enough. Hardly stopped him buying paperbacks though as well... half the problem is the DRM is stupidly locked between countries with sometimes different parts of the same series being locked out in different areas.

There is indeed something about the feel, smell and general connection with a real book or magazine that's hard to beat.

iPads are awesome but when I tried to read a book on one it started hurting my eyes in no time at all. Ideally I guess you carry both. However if I had a book with pictures, graphics, etc. then I would probably prefer it on the iPad.

I agree though about the feel, smell, etc or a real book but I can learn to live without.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
April 19th, 2011 at 1:24:55 AM permalink
Kindle's role in education will probably be more dramatic. Textbooks are both heavier and more expensive than light reading.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 19th, 2011 at 2:39:42 AM permalink
One beef I have heard is when you want to go back and re-read part of a book. Instead of flipping to a page for reference it is just not the same feeling on a kindle.

That being said anything that reduces the cost of college textbooks is worth looking at.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 19th, 2011 at 2:53:41 AM permalink
Nothing will ever replace books, unless they outlaw the harvesting of fast growing pulp wood trees. Kindle has its place, books have their place. My great grandfather would sit in his rocking chair in the 50's by the window, and read westerns with a magnifying glass. He was in his 90's. His son and my father did the same thing, only they wore glasses. Books aren't going anywhere.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
April 19th, 2011 at 3:16:58 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

That being said anything that reduces the cost of college textbooks is worth looking at.

Well, their cost isn't in printing, which is pretty cheap now, it's in writing the book for a solid but limited market.

On the other hand, it's hard to imagine students not pooling to just get one copy for everyone. Printed formats may hold it for a few years, but a shift to electronic textbooks will inevitably require a shift in the business models. Selling media access rights the same way as physical property is shaky already, the obscurity of most titles and the desire for real paper are about the only things keeping books from being mass-copied. A college class needs the same books and has physical contact... we even photocopied some paper books, when it was much cheaper than buying. I just don't see publishers selling a e-book copy to each individual student.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 19th, 2011 at 3:23:16 AM permalink
Quote: P90

Well, their cost isn't in printing, which is pretty cheap now, it's in writing the book for a solid but limited market.

On the other hand, it's hard to imagine students not pooling to just get one copy for everyone. Printed formats may hold it for a few years, but a shift to electronic textbooks will inevitably require a shift in the business models. Selling media access rights the same way as physical property is shaky already, the obscurity of most titles and the desire for real paper are about the only things keeping books from being mass-copied. A college class needs the same books and has physical contact... we even photocopied some paper books, when it was much cheaper than buying. I just don't see publishers selling a e-book copy to each individual student.

Plus there are already ways to hack an ebook onto Kindle from what I understand. I haven't tried it, mainly because I don't want to fuck up my Kindle somehow just to save $10 on a book but my brother-in-law says it's easy.
P90
P90
April 19th, 2011 at 3:32:47 AM permalink
Or you can buy one of the many e-readers that don't require any hacking and eat up next to anything. Though they aren't necessarily as well-made, but they pass the savings on to the customer.

DRM, encryption, etc can delay distribution for a while, but a really short while, especially if the college crowd gets a major incentive to do it. Amazon's own format has long been cracked as well, and books are easily found online.

I see these things definitely coming to the college, when they get less pricey and more advanced, but most importantly if/when the industry gets over its attachment to the traditional media business model.
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 19th, 2011 at 3:34:47 AM permalink
Quote: P90

I see these things definitely coming to the college, when they get less pricey and more advanced, but most importantly if/when the industry gets over its attachment to the traditional media business model.

Very good point, hopefully they are quicker to come up with a new business model than the music industry.
P90
P90
April 19th, 2011 at 6:31:56 AM permalink
Kindles aren't that expensive, and people will jailbreak $800 iphones. The kindle jailbreak is easy, safe and reversible. It's not like recent iphones where they were intentionally trying to add jailbreak protection.

People will hack all sorts of things, up to and including $190,000 supercars.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 19th, 2011 at 6:37:06 AM permalink

Added bonus, no more boxes of old books that are pretty much worthless after you buy them!

What?

Really, I dont' understand that. Any book realy worth reading is worth re-reading, many several times.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
DrEntropy
DrEntropy
  • Threads: 27
April 19th, 2011 at 9:34:48 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

One beef I have heard is when you want to go back and re-read part of a book. Instead of flipping to a page for reference it is just not the same feeling on a kindle.

For this reason, I primarily use the kindle for "light reading", i.e. fiction or some non-technical non-fiction. For anything beyond that (including most poker books) I prefer to the physical book, so that I can easily flip back to previous tables/equations/examples etc.
Maybe something like this is needed?
http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/2008/06/dual-display-e-book-reader-lets-you.html
"Mathematical expectation has nothing to do with results." (Sklansky, Theory of Poker).
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 19th, 2011 at 11:44:06 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

What?

Really, I dont' understand that. Any book realy worth reading is worth re-reading, many several times.

I rarely re-read a book. Maybe a good book I'll re-read once. A great book a few times. Few books fall in the great book category.
Nareed
Nareed
April 19th, 2011 at 11:51:28 AM permalink

I rarely re-read a book. Maybe a good book I'll re-read once. A great book a few times. Few books fall in the great book category.

Well, then, either you're not a voracious reader or you have a fantastic memory.

Me, I'm voracious, greedy, positively glutonous when it comes to reading. I read something every day. Either I've a new book I'm reading or some odl book I'm re-reading. There are a few books I've never re-read. Some because i dind't really like them, otehr because they're too hard to read. Among the second I include "1984," and Niven and Pournelle's asteroid apocalyptic stories.
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 19th, 2011 at 12:18:23 PM permalink

Well, then, either you're not a voracious reader or you have a fantastic memory.

Me, I'm voracious, greedy, positively glutonous when it comes to reading. I read something every day. Either I've a new book I'm reading or some odl book I'm re-reading. There are a few books I've never re-read. Some because i dind't really like them, otehr because they're too hard to read. Among the second I include "1984," and Niven and Pournelle's asteroid apocalyptic stories.

I read most days and average about a book a week which I think is probably well above the average. However I am constantly buying new books, like I said unless it stands out I don't give them a re-read. I've got a pretty good memory but I don't know about fantastic lol.
Nareed
Nareed
April 19th, 2011 at 12:33:48 PM permalink

I read most days and average about a book a week which I think is probably well above the average.

It depends on your standards, or lack thereof :P

Seriously, as much as I read, I'd be hard pressed to find a new book each week.

Quote:

I've got a pretty good memory but I don't know about fantastic lol.

One reason never to re-read a book is that you recall it well indeed.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
April 19th, 2011 at 12:38:20 PM permalink

Plus there are already ways to hack an ebook onto Kindle from what I understand. I haven't tried it, mainly because I don't want to fuck up my Kindle somehow just to save $10 on a book but my brother-in-law says it's easy.

You don't hack the Kindle, you convert the file. A program called Cavandre will convert just about any document in any format to any other format, including Word, .pdf, .mob, whatever. I've used it, it works pretty well. It's not perfect, because it doesn't always handle links and notes (because those themselves are inconsistent even within the formats). But it will allow you to read library books, which are almost always in the epub format, on Kindles.

I love my Kindle; the books are actually worth more to me in the electronic format than they are in hard copy, because it's the information that I value. I read incessantly, and often have several books going at once. the Kindle allows me to take them all with me wherever I go. The only irritation is finding things within a book, and that refers to the inconsistency of formatting. I just finished Fab: An Intimate Biography of Paul McCartney, and I wanted to reference a quote by Marty Balin, and the search function was not activated by whoever converted the text. In other books, I could enter "Marty Balin" in the search feature and it would work like an e-index with active links, but Fab is not set up for that. Which is a fault of the publisher, not the Kindle. But whatever.

Nareed, I rarely re-read a book as well. I have no problems finding new things to read. I'll pick stuff at random if I have to. I just downloaded Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things. It looks like it will be interesting. If not, what the heck, it will be a couple days of knowledge for less than the price of a spin on the $5 WoF.
A falling knife has no handle.
Nareed
Nareed
April 19th, 2011 at 1:43:47 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Nareed, I rarely re-read a book as well. I have no problems finding new things to read. I'll pick stuff at random if I have to.

Yeah, I can't do that. Mostly I read, in order, Science Fiction, straight science, Alternate History, straight history (notice a pattern here?) and then anythign else I find interesting (not much).

So I'm left with re-reading books I've read. That's fine, BTW, since you can learn a lot more about writing that way.
thecesspit
thecesspit
April 19th, 2011 at 1:46:06 PM permalink
Given the amount of science fiction churned out, I'm surprised you can't find a book a week in the genre alone.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
April 19th, 2011 at 1:54:43 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Given the amount of science fiction churned out, I'm surprised you can't find a book a week in the genre alone.

Again, it's all about standards. My taste runs to what might be called the golden Age: Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Del Rey, Simak, etc. Some writers I like are of the following generation: Niven, Pournelle, etc. And I can even read some more contemporary works like Timothy Zahn's Star Wars Thrawn trilogy. But most of what I've come accross since the late 80s, with some exceptions, was churned all right, and not very well.

Until recently, some fo the best SF was found on TV. Trek had some really good episodes, even in Voyager and Enterprise. Babylon 5 is a masterpiece. Stargate SG-1 was great, even if it got repetitive and gimmicky in the end. Atlantis was worth watching, even if they missed the easy solution to the Wraith problem. Stargate Universe, well, after 1.5 seasons I'm waiting for something to happen. No wonder it got cancelled.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
April 19th, 2011 at 3:53:20 PM permalink

I read most days and average about a book a week which I think is probably well above the average. However I am constantly buying new books, like I said unless it stands out I don't give them a re-read. I've got a pretty good memory but I don't know about fantastic lol.

Jim - Have you brought it into the poker room? Is it allowed in the room and/or on the table? I'm curious about the reaction of the other players as the camera and database features on handheld devices opens the possiblilty of an electronic "assist".
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 19th, 2011 at 4:36:56 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Jim - Have you brought it into the poker room? Is it allowed in the room and/or on the table? I'm curious about the reaction of the other players as the camera and database features on handheld devices opens the possiblilty of an electronic "assist".

I have not tried it, I just got into the Kindle recently. I probably wouldn't take it to a table anyways, it just would draw attention and I'm pretty low key in a cash game. You can text at tables though and I've seen two different people with laptops at a poker table. One was watching a movie and the other actually playing a few tables on Full Tilt! I would guess every room would have different rules about electronics at the table.
Nareed
Nareed
April 19th, 2011 at 4:53:46 PM permalink

I have not tried it, I just got into the Kindle recently. I probably wouldn't take it to a table anyways, it just would draw attention and I'm pretty low key in a cash game.

If I saw another player reading at a poker game, I'd be so mad at the implied contempt I'd want to knock the figurative snot out of him. It wouldn't affect my play, I'd just want to. but it might affect greener players into betting (ie losing) more. Especially if you taunt them; like: I'll just read War and Peace while you all make up your minds."

Oh, I wouldn't bring a kindle, ipad, ipod, lapton, netbook, or any other expensive gadget along on a trip, much less to a table. But that's just me. (ok, I'm considering buying a tablet, ipad or other, provided I can download Amazon ebooks on it, and I might take it along on a trip. but I still wouldn't take it to the tables; it would be rude).
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
April 19th, 2011 at 4:59:26 PM permalink

If I saw another player reading at a poker game, I'd be so mad at the implied contempt I'd want to knock the figurative snot out of him. It wouldn't affect my play, I'd just want to. but it might affect greener players into betting (ie losing) more. Especially if you taunt them; like: I'll just read War and Peace while you all make up your minds."

Oh, I wouldn't bring a kindle, ipad, ipod, lapton, netbook, or any other expensive gadget along on a trip, much less to a table. But that's just me. (ok, I'm considering buying a tablet, ipad or other, provided I can download Amazon ebooks on it, and I might take it along on a trip. but I still wouldn't take it to the tables; it would be rude).

The rudeness doesn't bother me at all. It just seems really stupid to sit there and read a book or watch a movie since you are telegraphing to the other players that you're a super tight player and plan on folding most of your hands. When you do get a good hand I think it would be pretty damn hard to get any kinda action at all.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
April 19th, 2011 at 5:29:33 PM permalink

It just seems really stupid to sit there and read a book or watch a movie since you are telegraphing to the other players that you're a super tight player and plan on folding most of your hands. When you do get a good hand I think it would be pretty damn hard to get any kinda action at all.

Maybe thats what they want you to think.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
April 19th, 2011 at 7:41:58 PM permalink
Nareed, I have a few of those old Dangerous Visions anthologies from the late '60s, and some others with authors like Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson, etc. If I can rustle them up, I'll send you a PM with the titles, and if you're interested they're yours. Things are in a state of flux here, and I won't have a chance to do this for a couple weeks (the sewer main backed up into our finished basement and we lost a ton of shit), but I will do it.
A falling knife has no handle.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
April 19th, 2011 at 8:23:02 PM permalink

Nareed, I have a few of those old Dangerous Visions anthologies from the late '60s, and some others with authors like Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson, etc. If I can rustle them up, I'll send you a PM with the titles, and if you're interested they're yours. Things are in a state of flux here, and I won't have a chance to do this for a couple weeks (the sewer main backed up into our finished basement and we lost a ton of shit), but I will do it.

Sorry Mosca but I couldn't resist the 9 year old voice in my brain. It sounds like you actually gained a bunch of shit you were trying to get rid off. ;)
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Nareed
Nareed
April 20th, 2011 at 6:57:19 AM permalink

Nareed, I have a few of those old Dangerous Visions anthologies from the late '60s, and some others with authors like Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson, etc. If I can rustle them up, I'll send you a PM with the titles, and if you're interested they're yours.

Thanks.

I want to say yes even though I don't recognize any of the names and titles you posted. But don't go to any trouble.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 15th, 2011 at 5:14:52 PM permalink
Has anyone had a chance to check out the new color Kindle? Is it worth it?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 23rd, 2012 at 9:13:25 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Has anyone had a chance to check out the new color Kindle? Is it worth it?

This thread has languished for two months. It seems that the sale of Kindles, Nooks, and Tablets went like wildfire during the holidays. I've read that the number of Americans who have one almost doubled (from 10% to 19%). I would think by the end of 2012 the broadcast networks would be streaming TV shows live to mobile devices.

The desire to keep children's backpacks below 15%-20% of their bodyweight means that they should become more and more common in schoolwork.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 23rd, 2012 at 9:31:50 AM permalink
I now have a Nook (Tablet), brought over the holiday season.

It's great for reading fiction and non-fiction that doesn't require diagrams. More technical documents and reference material, a physical book is still better for flipping around in and working on next to my desk.

Netflix is awesome on it (I don't have Hulu up here). There is a bug in the middleware that means it loses wi-fi connection on a semi-regular basis, which is very annoying, but I believe Nook know about and are working on. The Nook does only allow access to Barnes and Noble site for apps, but you can buy ePub books from any source and upload using Calibre, Adobe Digital Editions or other Computer-based library manager. B&N's web store is average and the library on Nook is just belowe average.

I was very impressed with the Nook e-ink tablet. Very fast update of the screen, light weight and very clear. If e-ink only reader works for you, take a look.

I did have a Kobo Vox. It was a piece of junk. Slow, under powered and faulty operating system. Kobo's book store and library is better than Nook's, but their support is also shitty (6 weeks of pestering to get resultion to a problem).
  • Jump to: