Poll

3 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

digger
digger
  • Threads: 2
March 18th, 2011 at 10:30:01 AM permalink
My wife and I own two cars. My car (Car A) averages 23 miles per gallon (MPG). My wife's car (Car B) averages 18 MPG. For each of us to drive to work, it is about 150 miles per week on each car. However, gas is cheaper near my wife's work (with Car B) than it is where I work (with Car A). The difference is sometimes as little as 10 cents per gallon and sometimes as high as 25 cents per gallon.

When the work week is over, and it comes time for my wife and I to go out to dinner or do other things together on the weekends (when we need to use only one car), I am never sure which car to take if I want to get the most bang for my buck. Do I take Car A (with better MPG but more expensive gas) or Car B (with worse MPG but less expensive gas)?

(For the purpose of this question, assume it is not possible for my wife to take each car to her work on different days so both cars could benefit from the cheaper gas.)
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 18th, 2011 at 10:40:57 AM permalink
If the difference in price is a quarter a gallon, then that's less than 10% of the price of the gas. Car A gets better than 110% of the mileage of Car B, so, Car A is less expensive. And figure that every now and then your wife is going to fill up at home because it's more convenient; maybe it's the weekend. But even taking that out of the equation, Car A is less expensive to drive.
A falling knife has no handle.
digger
digger
  • Threads: 2
March 18th, 2011 at 2:57:13 PM permalink
Thanks for the viewpoint, Mosca!
  • Jump to: