AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 26th, 2019 at 8:12:25 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Maybe it doesn't even matter what you name your kid. My wife is working with two families who have chosen to call their children by names that aren't actually theirs (i.e. John Aaron "Daryl" Smith). So there are apparently lots of options.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I went to college with a guy who went by Spike. His legal name was Neil Phillip <last name> (last name was not Spike). And his parents called him this from day 1. It's like...if that's what you're going to call him, just name him that! We're not big on nicknames. I mean I call my daughter sweetheart, and little spongy brain, and stuff like that. But mostly use her real name.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 26th, 2019 at 8:18:27 AM permalink
Maybe they didn’t think they’d call him spike forever but he liked it too much. I mean you wouldn’t name your kid peanut, but you might call them that. What if you named the kid peanut and then they had a peanut allergy, kid would grow up all sorts of confused about themself.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 26th, 2019 at 9:47:32 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I got a good one....

It's been done (he has sisters named 3 and 4)

Also, Jenna von Oy's character on Blossom had the first name "Six" (in the pilot, she says she thinks the name comes from the number of beers it took for her conception to take place), and Married...with Children had a young character named "Seven" who disappeared without a trace after a few episodes.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 26th, 2019 at 10:50:45 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Married...with Children had a young character named "Seven" who disappeared without a trace after a few episodes.

He first appeared in Season 7 Episode 1. I don't know if that is where the nae came from. There was also an episode where Peggy was pregnant and it was never mentioned again after that episode.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
April 26th, 2019 at 11:32:33 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: ThatDonGuy

Married...with Children had a young character named "Seven" who disappeared without a trace after a few episodes.

He first appeared in Season 7 Episode 1. I don't know if that is where the nae came from. There was also an episode where Peggy was pregnant and it was never mentioned again after that episode.

Seven disappeared because he was getting negative audience feedback. The writers said, "Okay, we'll just stop writing him in, who cares." The in-universe explanation for his name, I think, was that he was the seventh child to his parents.

Peggy's pregnancy disappeared because she actually had a miscarriage in real life, but they (rightfully) didn't want to address it on the show. I think they retconned that whole story arc into a dream sequence....?
  • Jump to: