3 votes (21.42%)
11 votes (78.57%)

14 members have voted

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 20th, 2011 at 2:23:31 PM permalink
I know I shouldn't....

So, which team will have the honor to lose against the Steelers at the Super Bowl?

Minor trivia, which Super Bowl first featured two pre-merger NFL teams? Example, SB I was the packers (old pre-merger NFL) vs Kansas City (AFL)? And for spice, what is the head coach who lost that game best known for? (I'll take any of three answers for that second question)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
January 20th, 2011 at 3:35:18 PM permalink
Weren't the Bears/Colts ('06 SB I think) both pre-merger teams? Or are you looking for the first SB to have them?
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Nareed
Nareed
January 20th, 2011 at 3:48:06 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

Weren't the Bears/Colts ('06 SB I think) both pre-merger teams? Or are you looking for the first SB to have them?

First Super Bowl with two pre-merger NFL teams. This rules out all AFL teams and all expansion teams since the merger.

I've edited the OP to clarify the question.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 20th, 2011 at 3:50:04 PM permalink
I've gotta take the Jets.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nareed
Nareed
January 20th, 2011 at 5:21:39 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I've gotta take the Jets.

Oh, sorry. The Jets, and the Titans before them, were an AFL team. :P
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 20th, 2011 at 5:47:49 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I know I shouldn't....

So, which team will have the honor to lose against the Steelers at the Super Bowl?

Minor trivia, which Super Bowl first featured two pre-merger NFL teams? Example, SB I was the packers (old pre-merger NFL) vs Kansas City (AFL)? And for spice, what is the head coach who lost that game best known for? (I'll take any of three answers for that second question)

Superbowls 11, 13. and 30 featured the Steelers and Cowboys, both premerger. 14 Steelers/Rams premerger. Steeler/Cardinals also premerger.

Steeler trivia: Steelers were only team to be in the adults only and T-shirt superbowls. (XXX and XL)
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Nareed
Nareed
January 20th, 2011 at 6:26:34 PM permalink
Since I made a hash out of the trivia question, I'll answer it now:

The first Super Bowl played between teams which used to belong to the NFL pre-merger was Super Bowl V, Colts vs Dallas (the Colts lost). At the time of the merger, some NFL teams switched over to the American Conference to balance things out: Colts, Steelers and Browns. All but one of the Steelers Super Bowls were against pre-merger teams: Cowboys, Cardinals, Rams and Vikings. The lone holdout is Seattle, which joined the league in the mid-70s, well after the merger. This is not surprising, as most NFC teams date to pre-merger days.

Now I'll restate the second question: who was head coach for the Colts at that time and what is he best known for? As I said, I'll take any three answers for what this coach was best known for.
avargov
avargov
January 20th, 2011 at 7:11:51 PM permalink
Would that be the great Don Shula? Winningest coach in NFL history, coach of the only undefeated team in the SB era, and head coach of the second coming of the messiah, Dan Marino?

Edited because I am an idiot...wasn't shula, he already left, and the colts won. You asked for losing coach...Tom Landry. Longest tenure with a single NFL team perhaps...or maybe the fedora.....
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
January 20th, 2011 at 7:49:21 PM permalink
Minor thread corrections ...

Cowboys/Steelers played in SBs 10, 13, and 30. SB 11 was Raiders over Vikings.
Colts won SB 5 over Dallas, 13-10.

Other thoughts ...

Avargov, you're good to change your sig line, thanks for the bet!

More SB trivia ...

Which team has the most appearances?
Which teams have not been?
Which teams have lost four SBs?
How many games have been re-matches?
Which team has won the most SBs?
Nareed
Nareed
January 20th, 2011 at 9:39:21 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

[..]...wasn't shula, he already left, and the colts won. You asked for losing coach...Tom Landry. Longest tenure with a single NFL team perhaps...or maybe the fedora.....

Not bad. I hoped people would fall for Shula, but he lost, with the Colts, at SB III against the Jets.

Landry's three things are 1) the longest tenure with one team, 2) the longest streak of consecutive winning seasons (20), and <drum roll> 3) The fedora of course.

NFL Network recently ran a special on him, entitled "The NFL's Man in the Hat."

Too bad he was wasted on such a lousy team.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 21st, 2011 at 5:07:35 AM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

Minor thread corrections ...

Cowboys/Steelers played in SBs 10, 13, and 30. SB 11 was Raiders over Vikings.
Colts won SB 5 over Dallas, 13-10.

Other thoughts ...

Avargov, you're good to change your sig line, thanks for the bet!

More SB trivia ...

Which team has the most appearances?
Which teams have not been?
How many games have been re-matches?
Which team has won the most SBs?

Most appearances--Cowboys?

Not Been: Browns, Lions, Jaguars

Lost 4--Vikings, Bills

Re-matches Steelers/Cowboys in 13 AND 40
Bills/Cowboys, forget the number

Won the most? Come on, STEELERS!
thlf
thlf
January 21st, 2011 at 6:19:00 AM permalink

Vikings and Buffalo.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
January 21st, 2011 at 7:23:18 AM permalink
Most appearances: Cowboys (8). Steelers can tie if they appear this year.
Not been: 4 teams. Browns, Lions, Jaguars, one more ...
Four losses: 3 teams. Bills, Vikings, one more ...
Rematches: 5. DAL-PIT (13, 30), three others ...
Won the most: Steelers (6)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 21st, 2011 at 9:31:53 AM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

Most appearances: Cowboys (8). Steelers can tie if they appear this year.
Not been: 4 teams. Browns, Lions, Jaguars, one more ...

Just hit me-TEXANS!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 21st, 2011 at 10:43:05 AM permalink
I'm tired of knowing the answer to the four teams that haven't been to the Superbowl.... one day, maybe in the next decade, I can watch a Lions superbowl. I'll take a Playoff win first though... (only been one, which I watched late night in the UK... with Barry and the Silver stretch obliterating the Cowboys).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
SFB
SFB
  • Threads: 2
January 21st, 2011 at 11:13:46 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I'm tired of knowing the answer to the four teams that haven't been to the Superbowl.... one day, maybe in the next decade, I can watch a Lions superbowl. I'll take a Playoff win first though... (only been one, which I watched late night in the UK... with Barry and the Silver stretch obliterating the Cowboys).

BOO-RAH!

One of the greatest games ever played!

Anytime the Cowboys lose is a good game!

SFB
Nareed
Nareed
January 21st, 2011 at 6:41:07 PM permalink

I'm tired of knowing the answer to the four teams that haven't been to the Superbowl.... one day, maybe in the next decade, I can watch a Lions superbowl.

Get them to hire a really good head coach who is willing to steal Dick Lebeau from the Steelers as defensive coordinator.

Or get them to move farther east. It worked for the erstwhile Browns ;)
Nareed
Nareed
January 21st, 2011 at 7:45:51 PM permalink
Oh, here's a trivia I don't know the answer to: how many teams have a perfect record in the Super Bowl? Meaning how many teams have won every Super Bowl they've played. One is New Orleans, which is one for one.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 22nd, 2011 at 12:12:23 AM permalink

Get them to hire a really good head coach who is willing to steal Dick Lebeau from the Steelers as defensive coordinator.

Or get them to move farther east. It worked for the erstwhile Browns ;)

I'm relatively happy with the coaching staff in Detroit right now. The player personnel still needs to step up a shade further, and they need to work out if Stafford is the QB of the future or is a glass shouldered bust. They'd have hit 8-8 with a little more luck and judgement of their own making this year, so I'm relatively confident I'll see play off football in the 2010's decade...

I'm more shocked two failures from Detroit (Marenelli and Martz) are tearing it up in Chicago. I think this shows that coaching also depends on having the right players, and the right guy picking those players (Matt Millen is a bum, and seeing him commentate on College Football makes sick...)... and the Peter Principle in action as well.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 22nd, 2011 at 2:58:59 AM permalink

Oh, here's a trivia I don't know the answer to: how many teams have a perfect record in the Super Bowl? Meaning how many teams have won every Super Bowl they've played. One is New Orleans, which is one for one.

SF is 5-0.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Nareed
Nareed
January 22nd, 2011 at 6:53:42 AM permalink

I'm relatively happy with the coaching staff in Detroit right now. The player personnel still needs to step up a shade further, and they need to work out if Stafford is the QB of the future or is a glass shouldered bust. They'd have hit 8-8 with a little more luck and judgement of their own making this year, so I'm relatively confident I'll see play off football in the 2010's decade...

How much of a say does the coaching staff have in drafting players and hiring free agents?

BTW The QB of the future usually makes it or not in his first season. Not all of them, of course. Troy Aikman won no games at all in his first season (Aikman did not play in the one game Dallas won that year). But most of them: Roethlisberger went 15-0 as a starter, Dan Marino had spectacular numbers in his first year, Brady swept away Drew Bledsoe, Warner won a Super Bowl, etc.

They could also try changing their uniform, especially the ugly helmet. It worked for the Bengals ;)
Nareed
Nareed
January 22nd, 2011 at 2:43:38 PM permalink

I'm relatively happy with the coaching staff in Detroit right now.

Sorry, in my last post I forgot to ask: you do know Dick Lebeau played defense for the Lions decades ago?

He got inducted into the Hall of Fame last year, allegedly for his play with the Lions. I really think it was for his work as a coach, but he's not elelgible for that until he retires. Anyway, many of his current players showed up at the induction ceremony wearing Lebeau's Lions jersey.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 22nd, 2011 at 5:43:31 PM permalink
I know Lebeau was part of the great Lions team of the "Paper Lion" era... Don't see him moving to the Lions though as a coach, which is our loss.

In the Millen era, the coach had little say on the draft or Free Agency. Now Mayhew is in charge of the front office, I'm not so sure, but for a man who was seen a Millen lackey, he's been completely different in his ability to deal with player personnel.

I don't see what's so ugly about the silver and blue uniforms of the Lions... at least it's not black and orange like the BC Lions (I just can't get behind a team that wears orange...)
Nareed
Nareed
January 22nd, 2011 at 6:03:48 PM permalink

I know Lebeau was part of the great Lions team of the "Paper Lion" era... Don't see him moving to the Lions though as a coach, which is our loss.

And the Steelers' gain. as a fan, I'd hate to see Lebeau leave, but I'd forgive him if he went back to his old team.

Quote:

In the Millen era, the coach had little say on the draft or Free Agency. Now Mayhew is in charge of the front office, I'm not so sure, but for a man who was seen a Millen lackey, he's been completely different in his ability to deal with player personnel.

I recall reading that Chuck Noll in the 70s ahd a lot to do with the draft, as well he should ahve. The Steelers managed a draft class, I forget the exact year, with four players who eventually went to the Hall of Fame. That's quite a feat for any coach. but anyway, the man who'll be held responsible for the team's performance whoudl have the authority to go with teh responsibility.

Quote:

I don't see what's so ugly about the silver and blue uniforms of the Lions... at least it's not black and orange like the BC Lions (I just can't get behind a team that wears orange...)

Blue and silver don't match. It's ok for the Cowboys, because nothing can make that team likeable anyway. Silver is a hard match. It goes well with black and with gold, but with very little else; on that note I can commend the Raiders for fashion sense (and because silver is a color associated with the pirate character on their logo). Even the Seahawks did away with silver. And, yes, I did like the Pats old logo and colors better.

They should go with smething tan and brown, or green and tan and brown. You know, something reminescent of the savanahs where Lions roam wild. Like the bengals did donning tiger stripes on orange and the dark uniforms.

Or they could change the name of the team. I mean, the Lion is a good mascot; it's large, strong and ferocious. That fits well with a football team. But what has it got to do with Detroit or Michigan? Granted not all teams have names with local or regional associations, but IMO the better named teams do (like the Steelers, Dolphins, Broncos, Eagles, Ravens, the vanished Oilers, and even the Cowboys).

I'll admit I don't know what a good local/regional name would be for Detroit.

And I should do a thread on NFL names someday. Maybe after the Super Bowl, when I miss having the game around.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 22nd, 2011 at 6:13:03 PM permalink
The Lions name is a nod to the Detroit Tigers. If the Bears name hadn't been taken, perhaps the Pistons would have become the Bears?

Under the rules of heraldry, argent and azure are allowed to touch. I don't have a problem with the Silver and Honolulu Blue of the Lions. Looks okay to me, and I do like the upgraded logo. Could be worse, it could be a small little bird... That said, I prefer the black+blue alternate shirt to the other two colour schemes I own.
Nareed
Nareed
January 22nd, 2011 at 6:55:22 PM permalink

The Lions name is a nod to the Detroit Tigers. If the Bears name hadn't been taken, perhaps the Pistons would have become the Bears?

That's the problem. Pistons is a horrible name. It satisfies the local criteria, but come on, to be named after part of an engine? It's worse than the Miami Heat.

Quote:

Under the rules of heraldry, argent and azure are allowed to touch.

They still don't match.

Quote:

Could be worse, it could be a small little bird...

Like the Cardinals? I like their uniforms but not their helmet. And they're overdue for a name change.

Quote:

That said, I prefer the black+blue alternate shirt to the other two colour schemes I own.

Black would be a good color for the Lions' helmet, with the mascot done in tan. The uniforms could be blue with black and tan trim. And it's not like they play in a hot climate.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 22nd, 2011 at 7:23:20 PM permalink
And black +tan are a good combination of colours? Ugh... we are never going to agree on that one. And that's not just because of the historical meaning of the black and tans in Ireland either.

Silver and blue matches just fine to my eyes.

Could have been worse, the hockey team could have kept the name "Cougars" (they are welcome to come back here any time as the Cougars though) and the Football team "Spartans". The Pistons actually came from Fort Wayne, and were sponsored by the Zollner corporations, who made... pistons. The baseball team's fore-runners were the Wolverines.

Anyways, I don't really care if the name is local or not. It is what it is, it's got a long long history as a team, and even if they've been crappy for a long period, they are still the team I follow. Silver'n'Blue Lions.
Nareed
Nareed
January 22nd, 2011 at 7:37:42 PM permalink

And black +tan are a good combination of colours? Ugh... we are never going to agree on that one.

It is a good combination, and a tan lion looks better than the current blue one. But you're right, we won't agree.

Quote:

Could have been worse, the hockey team could have kept the name "Cougars" (they are welcome to come back here any time as the Cougars though) and the Football team "Spartans".

Cougars is kind of a college or high school name, like Wildcats. Spartans sounds good, but the Spartans are best known for being thoroughly and bloodily beaten; not the image one would like for a football team.

Quote:

Anyways, I don't really care if the name is local or not. It is what it is, it's got a long long history as a team, and even if they've been crappy for a long period, they are still the team I follow. Silver'n'Blue Lions.

Oh, can't argue about history. It's one of the oldest teams still around.
thecesspit
thecesspit
January 22nd, 2011 at 7:43:54 PM permalink
The Redwings WERE the Victoria Cougars, after the WHL collapsed. The Cougars were the last non-NHL team to lift the Stanley Cup, and won it a few miles from my house. Various other Victoria Cougars have existed (quit laughing at the back), but the -real- Cougars winning banner still adorns the local ice rink (but not where they played originally, that's now housing and a sports field sadly).

It's actually not the reason I support the Red Wings. Just a good one to tell people... :)
Nareed
Nareed
January 22nd, 2011 at 8:08:10 PM permalink

It's actually not the reason I support the Red Wings. Just a good one to tell people... :)

People who like hockey :P
Nareed
Nareed
January 23rd, 2011 at 7:11:13 PM permalink
Looks like we called it!

What an odd game the Steelers played. They pretty much dismantled the Jets on the first half, then plain folded on the second (except for their first 3rd quarter drive, which ended in an interception, and their final drive). And wasn't that goal-line stand great? Stranger still, they dropped the passing game and went back to good, old-fashioned Steeler football: Run the ball and let the defense do its thing. It worked. I doubt the Jets expected to give up 160+ yards on the ground.

About the goal-line stand, I think the Jets did the right thing. If they'd taken a field goal, they'd still need two TDs to get the lead. A field goal would have been useless. As it is they got a safety, as they did last time they went to Heinz field (it wasn't Hines' field today). Let them.

Oh, seems the Packers and the Bears had a meeting today, too. Anyone have any news on that? ;)

Now I get to worry for two weeks. How will the Steelers blow it this time? I hope they won't, but SB XXX still weighs heavily. I should say I like to see my team on the big game, but I don't. I'm happy afterward, yes, 6 out 7 times and hopefully 7 out of 8, but worried sick the whole game. I may just see the Pro Bowl to get my mind off the Super Bowl for 3 hours or so.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
January 23rd, 2011 at 7:26:05 PM permalink
Nareed, have you ever explained how you became a Steelers fan, or a fan of American football in general?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
January 23rd, 2011 at 7:44:07 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Nareed, have you ever explained how you became a Steelers fan, or a fan of American football in general?

Steelers are easy. back in the 70s I didn't have a fixed team, though I went with the herd and mostly rooted for <ugh> Dallas (I can't believe it after all these years). So in 76 or 77, I forget exactly when, I picked the Steelers because 1) I liked their colors and 2) they were undefeated early that season.

I like football because it's a highly cerebral game. Yes, it's highly physical, too, and one of a few games where players are expected to hit and manhandle each other, but it comes down to strategy and tactics. I've often said it's like a non-lethal emulation of warfare, which is also a minor interest of mine. I love how many plays involve deception on different levels, too. It's about the only sport I like.

Oh, and it's just football, no qualifiers. I drive sucker fans mad when I say that ;)
Nareed
Nareed
February 6th, 2011 at 4:49:19 PM permalink
I'm calm and quiet for now because there's still a second half, and because I'm doing my Vegas travel research (looks like I'll snag a killer air fare). But so far the Steelers are doing their best to lose the game :(
  • Jump to: