3 votes (21.42%)
11 votes (78.57%)

14 members have voted

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 23rd, 2011 at 7:11:13 PM permalink
Looks like we called it!

What an odd game the Steelers played. They pretty much dismantled the Jets on the first half, then plain folded on the second (except for their first 3rd quarter drive, which ended in an interception, and their final drive). And wasn't that goal-line stand great? Stranger still, they dropped the passing game and went back to good, old-fashioned Steeler football: Run the ball and let the defense do its thing. It worked. I doubt the Jets expected to give up 160+ yards on the ground.

About the goal-line stand, I think the Jets did the right thing. If they'd taken a field goal, they'd still need two TDs to get the lead. A field goal would have been useless. As it is they got a safety, as they did last time they went to Heinz field (it wasn't Hines' field today). Let them.

Oh, seems the Packers and the Bears had a meeting today, too. Anyone have any news on that? ;)

Now I get to worry for two weeks. How will the Steelers blow it this time? I hope they won't, but SB XXX still weighs heavily. I should say I like to see my team on the big game, but I don't. I'm happy afterward, yes, 6 out 7 times and hopefully 7 out of 8, but worried sick the whole game. I may just see the Pro Bowl to get my mind off the Super Bowl for 3 hours or so.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
January 23rd, 2011 at 7:26:05 PM permalink
Nareed, have you ever explained how you became a Steelers fan, or a fan of American football in general?
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
January 23rd, 2011 at 7:44:07 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Nareed, have you ever explained how you became a Steelers fan, or a fan of American football in general?

Steelers are easy. back in the 70s I didn't have a fixed team, though I went with the herd and mostly rooted for <ugh> Dallas (I can't believe it after all these years). So in 76 or 77, I forget exactly when, I picked the Steelers because 1) I liked their colors and 2) they were undefeated early that season.

I like football because it's a highly cerebral game. Yes, it's highly physical, too, and one of a few games where players are expected to hit and manhandle each other, but it comes down to strategy and tactics. I've often said it's like a non-lethal emulation of warfare, which is also a minor interest of mine. I love how many plays involve deception on different levels, too. It's about the only sport I like.

Oh, and it's just football, no qualifiers. I drive sucker fans mad when I say that ;)
Nareed
Nareed
February 6th, 2011 at 4:49:19 PM permalink
I'm calm and quiet for now because there's still a second half, and because I'm doing my Vegas travel research (looks like I'll snag a killer air fare). But so far the Steelers are doing their best to lose the game :(

• Jump to: