3 votes (60%)
1 vote (20%)
1 vote (20%)

5 members have voted

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 5th, 2011 at 2:09:30 PM permalink
on the Mike and Mike radio program Golic started talking about how it seemed like Bulls**t to him all these different names for groups of animals there are out there. What do you think, are most of these names made up and *not* accepted formal English usage, American or British? Or are they for the most part acceptable usage, OK for the Wall Street Journal, etc.? Vote.

I found this link, perhaps what Golic was reading from:
"A pride of lions, a murder of crows, a crash of rhinos, and every other collective noun for animals."
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 5th, 2011 at 2:52:42 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

on the Mike and Mike radio program Golic started talking about how it seemed like Bulls**t to him all these different names for groups of animals there are out there. What do you think, are most of these names made up and *not* accepted formal English usage, American or British? Or are they for the most part acceptable usage, OK for the Wall Street Journal, etc.? Vote.

I found this link, perhaps what Golic was reading from:
"A pride of lions, a murder of crows, a crash of rhinos, and every other collective noun for animals."

At some point, someone decided to attach the name to the group and it caught on. Whether they are derived from a regional dialect, some bastardized ancient language, or simply made up, I don't know; but isn't that the beauty of language? It could be something or nothing, as long as eveyone agrees that that is what it shall be called (i.e., "Google").

In the spirit of this thread, perhaps we should come up with a name for ourselves; this group who gathers electronically on this discussion board? "Vegans"? "Wizzlers"? Let's pick something and make it so. I'll start a new thread for suggestions.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: