Thread Rating:

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 21st, 2023 at 4:08:33 AM permalink
There is a claim that new evidence has come forward. Having followed cases over the years where the defense has gained ground and the prosecution has showed signs of wavering, I've noticed that the court likes to have something like this come up to give the prosecution a face-saving out, and will not investigate it's validity.

So how much do you want to bet we never get to find out just how the trigger was supposed to have been modified? I wound up looking a lot into revolvers due to to this case and learned a lot in addition to what I already knew. Revolvers don't have safeties, instead they are made to operate in a safe way where only a deliberate action can have the gun fire. Other pistols can be ready to go off with accidental pressure on the trigger, or maybe even a jostling, with the safety off. A revolver can only be fired in two ways, if double-action type. You need to pull the hammer back till it cocks, then pull the trigger [the only way if not double-action], or, while uncocked, you need to pull the trigger very deliberately so that this action draws the hammer back a long ways. You simply never hear about revolvers going off accidentally this way though in theory it would be possible. It is considered very safe.

If the claim is that it's about a modified trigger, as per below, then is it possible that means it now had a 'hair trigger'? I could see that being possible once the gun is cocked that at that point, a gunsmith could create a hair trigger, maybe, maybe not. Still, clearly the gun has to be cocked first.

The big question, then, is why did the FBI miss this? They took weeks and weeks to examine this gun. Clearly the trial should merely be postponed to hash this out. Instead, case dismissed. I'm going with my original thought: face-saving development here.

Quote: link

According to the LA Times, prosecutors had recently learned that the gun used in the shooting, a .45 Colt revolver, had been modified with a new trigger in a way that could have made a misfire more likely.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65343821
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
August 16th, 2023 at 10:54:17 AM permalink
It appears that Alec Baldwin is not out of the woods yet. A new gun analysis report, dated Aug. 2, has been released that finds that the gun used during the incident had (despite previous findings) not been modified. If true, the only way the gun could have gone off is if the trigger had been pulled, which Baldwin denies doing.

A video taken on set during the incident (and now being studied frame-by-frame like a Zapruder film) shows Baldwin pulling back the gun's hammer to the cocked position and then placing his finger on, or at least near, the trigger. The finger was definitely inside the trigger guard.

The report was included in a motion filed Tuesday by the attorneys of the film's armorer who remains charged with involuntary manslaughter in the case. Prosecutors are now deciding if charges should be refiled against Baldwin.

Full Story at NBC News
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
August 16th, 2023 at 12:40:36 PM permalink
But ultimately the gun should not have been loaded which is why the Armourer is still charged.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
August 16th, 2023 at 1:57:25 PM permalink
It’s tough for him to escape culpability I think because there are more common expectations of proper gun handling even though he is part of an acting job. Had he hit someone with a real chair, instead of a prop, he’d likely have no responsibility. (Unless there’s something obvious like a very noticeable weight difference)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 16th, 2023 at 5:47:12 PM permalink
I don't believe he will be charged, or that a trial will be held. I especially don't believe he would be found guilty by a jury. I'm heading up to Ruidosa for the weekend, it will be curious what the locals have to say.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
January 19th, 2024 at 12:15:39 PM permalink
Alec Baldwin indicted for involuntary manslaughter by grand jury.

Story at NBC News.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 19th, 2024 at 1:02:10 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Story at NBC News.
link to original post

Makes sense. Point a gun at somebody thinking it's not loaded or it's loaded with blanks and not double checking you just involuntarily killed them. He'll never do any time though.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
January 19th, 2024 at 2:57:55 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Gialmere

Story at NBC News.
link to original post

Makes sense. Point a gun at somebody thinking it's not loaded or it's loaded with blanks and not double checking you just involuntarily killed them. He'll never do any time though.
link to original post

Probably not. In New Mexico, involuntary manslaughter is punishable by "up to" 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine. Likely he'll just get the fine and a few years of probation.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
January 19th, 2024 at 3:15:55 PM permalink
And of course it's also possible he is found not guilty
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
February 18th, 2024 at 3:00:57 AM permalink
I don't get why Alec Baldwin's gun wasn't CGI. It would have prevented the tragedy.🤔💡
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
  • Jump to: