Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 8th, 2021 at 2:36:06 PM permalink
I'm looking for obscure festivals in the West for an extended road trip and I came across The Headless Chicken Festival held each spring in a small town in Colorado.
In the Spring of 1947, a local farmer choose a chicken named Mike to be a Friday night dinner and cut off the bird's head. Evidently, it is not unusual for chickens to run around for a minute or two after getting decapitated but Mike lived for eighteen months. Not only did he survive getting his head cut off but he achieved celebrity status, becoming a headline attraction and going on extensive tours. He could command as much as a thousand dollars a show. His owners apparently kept him alive by injecting nutrients into him.
After 18 months, he choked when someone tried to feed him some corn, although rumours of an insurance whack job persist.
Mike the headless chicken is honored in his hometown with a bigger-than-life bronze statue and a weeklong festival.

Does anyone know any equally obscure festivals I can waste a few days attending? I've already penciled in The Standing on the Corner fest in Winslow, Arizona.
Last edited by: billryan on Nov 8, 2021
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 8th, 2021 at 2:47:24 PM permalink
Well...(after a search) that's one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. Could the guy have known that the chicken would be fundamentally healthy? I can't comprehend how you wouldn't just put it down, but he managed to parlay it into a ton of money.

There is a, "The Dude Abides Festival," in Austin, Texas. The character is obviously not obscure, but perhaps the festival might be considered obscure enough for your purposes? If nothing else, you'll always be able to say that you went to a festival dedicated to a man...a fictional man..."but sometimes there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and his place. He fits right in there." And there's a festival for The Dude, in Austin, Texas.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
November 8th, 2021 at 2:48:46 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm looking for obscure festivals in the West for an extended road trip and I came across The Headless Chicken Festival held each spring in a small town in Colorado.
In the Spring of 1947, a local farmer choose a chicken named Mike to be a Friday night dinner and cut off the bird's head. Evidently, it is not unusual for chickens to run around for a minute or two after getting decapitated but Mike lived for eighteen months. Not only did he survive getting his head cut off but he achieved celebrity status, becoming a headline attraction and going on extensive tours. He could command as much as a thousand dollars a show. Evidently, his owners kept him alive by injecting nutrients into him.
After 18 months, he choked when someone tried to feed him some corn, although rumours of an insurance whack job persist.
Mike the headless chicken is honored in his hometown with a bigger-than-life bronze statue and a weeklong festival.

Does anyone know any equally obscure festivals I can waste a few days attending? I've already penciled in The Standing on the Corner fest in Winslow, Arizona.
link to original post

Word is, he wasn't fully decapitated. Much of his brain stem remained.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
November 8th, 2021 at 2:57:07 PM permalink
Just brutal.
May I suggest to take this thread down please?
Reason: Not gambling and Las Vegas related
I am making a driving trip down to Vegas from Canada tonight. Just thinking of a headless chicken while driving alone on a dark highway is not a cheering experience.
Sorry Billryan.
Mission146
Mission146
November 8th, 2021 at 3:06:55 PM permalink
Also, you're going to the, "Standin' on the Corner Festival," and The Dude hates the friggin' Eagles, man, so it's kind of Zen. Yin and Yang. Balanced.

Or, you could say, it ties the whole thing together.
Last edited by: Mission146 on Nov 8, 2021
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
November 8th, 2021 at 3:42:02 PM permalink
Actually, not headless at all.
Just faceless. Poor little thing
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2021 at 4:05:09 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Actually, not headless at all.
Just faceless. Poor little thing

link to original post

In seventy-five years, no one will be posting about us, nor holding festivals in our honor.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mission146
Mission146
November 8th, 2021 at 4:07:33 PM permalink
Interesting take. I wonder how many U.S. historians can even name every U.S. President without having to cheat for one or two?
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
November 8th, 2021 at 7:33:28 PM permalink
There's also Frozen Dead Guy Days in Nederland, CO. There's a guy who's cryogenically frozen in his shed.
I heart Crystal Math.
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2021 at 8:07:11 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

There's also Frozen Dead Guy Days in Nederland, CO. There's a guy who's cryogenically frozen in his shed.
link to original post

That's what I'm looking for. Pure quirk. The mountains of Colorado in early March may be a problem as I only want to see snow in the distance.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
November 8th, 2021 at 8:29:44 PM permalink

link to original post

I stood on that corner
Thats about all there is to see in Winslow
Was there to see Meteor crater. What a disappointment. Just a big hole
If you are in that area
Rock Art Canyon Ranch. One of the most incredible places I have ever been to in my life.
Dont just ride in. Call 1st. Very friendly. Make sure you have a sturdy vehicle to follow them on a tour of the ranch
Ive been all over the country and this is an absolute highlight.
Place should be a National Monument.
Private property but its in good hands.
Last edited by: terapined on Nov 8, 2021
terapined
terapined
November 8th, 2021 at 9:05:30 PM permalink
terapined standing on a corner
In Winslow, Arizona
Such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord
In a flat-bed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me
billryan
billryan
November 9th, 2021 at 4:39:27 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

link to original post

I stood on that corner
If you are in that area
Rock Art Canyon Ranch. One of the most incredible places I have ever been to in my life.
Dont just ride in. Call 1st. Very friendly. Make sure you have a sturdy vehicle to follow them on a tour of the ranch
link to original post

I plan on seeing both the meteor and that other big hole in the ground some call the Grand Canyon the week of the Standing on The Corner festival. There is also a fully restored US Calvary fort in the area I want to take in.
terapined
terapined
November 9th, 2021 at 5:31:52 AM permalink

link to original post

I stood on that corner
If you are in that area
link to original post

I plan on seeing both the meteor and that other big hole in the ground some call the Grand Canyon the week of the Standing on The Corner festival. There is also a fully restored US Calvary fort in the area I want to take in.
link to original post

Real adventures of terapined, nothing fake. No fiction
Best festival in the country hands down
String Cheese Incidents Hullaween festival held on Halloween at the Spirit of the Suwanee Music park and campground.
terapined
terapined
November 9th, 2021 at 3:12:21 PM permalink

link to original post

I stood on that corner
If you are in that area
link to original post

link to original post

The REAL adventures of terapined
No fiction, just facts

Really
A restored Calvary fort
How did I miss that
I drove as far as Flagstaff to find stuff to do while staying in Winslow.
Flagstaff, got the coveted limited night tour tkt at the Lowell observatory so I could look a planets.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
Thanked by
RogerKint
November 9th, 2021 at 3:43:47 PM permalink
Here's one for Bill.

https://blockchain-fest.com/
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
November 9th, 2021 at 5:16:54 PM permalink

link to original post

I stood on that corner
If you are in that area
link to original post

link to original post

No fiction, just facts

Really
A restored Calvary fort
How did I miss that
Flagstaff, got the coveted limited night tour tkt at the Lowell observatory so I could look a planets.
link to original post

Fort Courage. It is a recreation of an old fort that was built as a tourist attraction but is now abandoned. You can just walk in.
terapined
terapined
November 9th, 2021 at 6:28:36 PM permalink

link to original post

I stood on that corner
If you are in that area
link to original post

link to original post

No fiction, just facts

Really
A restored Calvary fort
How did I miss that
link to original post

Fort Courage. It is a recreation of an old fort that was built as a tourist attraction but is now abandoned. You can just walk in.
link to original post

No fiction. Just the facts.

I did visit a fascinating fort this summer
Custer's last fort that he lived at
They had the house decorated just like Custer and his wife had it
They had reenactment soldiers guarding the place
They acted as if Custer was still alive
I played along
"Custer is gonna quit and run for President. Come on, be honest. He has his eyes on DC doesn't he"
billryan
billryan
November 9th, 2021 at 6:48:04 PM permalink
About five miles southeast of me is the remains of a permanent Buffalo Soldier camp. It was in use through WW2. All that is left are some disintegrating adobe huts and a number of outbuildings. You have to go through all sorts of hoops to gain entrance for a tour.
coachbelly
coachbelly
  • Threads: 1
November 9th, 2021 at 8:00:45 PM permalink

Fort Courage.

RIP Wrangler Jane.

I think Agarn is still stationed there.
terapined
terapined
November 9th, 2021 at 8:22:15 PM permalink

link to original post

I stood on that corner
If you are in that area
link to original post

link to original post

No fiction, just facts

Really
A restored Calvary fort
How did I miss that
link to original post

link to original post

I did visit a fascinating fort this summer
Custer's last fort that he lived at
They had the house decorated just like Custer and his wife had it
They had reenactment soldiers guarding the place
They acted as if Custer was still alive
I played along
"Custer is gonna quit and run for President. Come on, be honest. He has his eyes on DC doesn't he"
link to original post

Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park.
Custer House. Custer's last residence was at this fort. Rebuilt and decorated as if Custer still lived there in 1874.
I'm a music fan. Of course I'm drawn to instruments

billryan
billryan
November 9th, 2021 at 9:46:10 PM permalink
Quote: coachbelly

Fort Courage.

RIP Wrangler Jane.

I think Agarn is still stationed there.
link to original post

When it was open as a tourist attraction, they had a bunch of F troop props but whatever was left behind has long since been picked clean.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 9th, 2021 at 10:52:06 PM permalink

link to original post

I stood on that corner
If you are in that area
link to original post

link to original post

I’d recommend Wupatki Pueblo and Sunset Crater national monument 30 minutes north of flagstaff, not spectacular but highly underrated national monument.
Maxxx17
Maxxx17
  • Threads: 0
November 24th, 2021 at 2:38:34 PM permalink
This is ridiculous.
  • Jump to: