Thread Rating:

helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 71
August 17th, 2021 at 3:50:14 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

41-35 at one of my usual courses. I probably average 86 or so there. The 35 was my lowest to par 9 holes ever, 1 under par. 4 birdies for the first time over 18 holes. It is weird. As a gambler I understand positive variance. But it feels different as a golfer. Glen Oak if anyone wants to look at the track.

Nice! How often are you breaking 80? I just started breaking 90 last year.

Our club championship was two weekends ago and I played some pretty steady golfing for me. Shot 93 Saturday and then a 91 Sunday. Tournament golf is a different beast that's for sure. I ended up in the D-flight with everyone with a 16+ handicap which was 14 players. I managed to place 5th for gross, but I placed 2nd for low net at +6 which won me $65 in Pro Shop credit.

Golf variance does seem different. Those good rounds always seem to have the one or two bounces that make your game. A ball hitting a tree and bouncing back into the fairway instead of heading out of bounds, or that low screaming shot that hits the bunker, but bounces up off the lip and onto the green.

--helpmespock
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
August 17th, 2021 at 5:45:20 PM permalink
I break 80 on Ďregularí courses maybe 2 or 3 times a year out of nearly 100 rounds. There is one course I play occasionally, Grover Cleveland, which is par 69 and I break 80 maybe 1/3 of the time so I donít count those. In I think 1918 or so Grover Cleveland hosted the US Open. It may have been called Buffalo Country Club back then. It is now a VERY short course with a bunch of par 4ís barely over 300 yards.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
August 17th, 2021 at 6:50:26 PM permalink

I love golf. Tee time in an hour.

You know when I loved golf? In the early 70s when me and my golf buddy could go on a weekday afternoon and take our time on a beautiful 27-hole course and have nobody in front of us and nobody behind us. I could even do that in Santa Barbara in the early 80s but the golf course was crap. No trees, no water traps, just brown grass and green greens. I tried to take it up again in the early nineties in Michigan but it was way too expensive and even during the week at 2 p.m. way too many people were playing. I regularly drive by 2 golf courses and it doesn't matter what time of day it is the parking lot is jammed. I can only imagine what it costs to play 9 holes at the course I played in 1974 for $3.50 on a Tuesday afternoon. On weekends it was $12 for 18 holes. We would often pay for 9 holes during the week and play 18 because nobody noticed or cared. We used to find so many nice expensive balls in the rough and in the water traps the neither one of us ever bought a ball. I'm sure I still have some of those balls in one of my old golf bags.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
helpmespock
helpmespock
August 17th, 2021 at 7:33:28 PM permalink
100 rounds in a year SOOPOO. Nice! With COVID on, I'm getting close to 40 rounds in during the season. That's Friday, Saturday in the summer and then for long weekends I usually get in a round on the holiday too.

EvenBob I hear you. Golf has gotten more expensive over the years. I used to play with co-workers back in in the early 2000's. Most of the local courses offered great deals for twilight golf. The course closest to my house had all the holes you could play after 6PM for $20. My current home course offered all you could play for $15 after 5PM. You could easily finish 18 holes around the summer Solstice. It was a nice cheap way to play golf. Those days are long gone.

You would have loved my last Saturday morning round EvenBob. It was myself and 2 other members and we were the 4th group out and the members ahead of us were all fast players. It was walk, hit, walk, hit all the way around. We got done in three and a half hours.

--helpmespock
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
August 17th, 2021 at 8:31:07 PM permalink
Oh my God. I just looked up how much it cost to play at my old course. When I played there in the seventies it was $3.50 for 18 holes during the week and $12 for 18 holes on weekends. Cart rental was a flat fee of $3. Today it's gone from 27 holes to 45 holes. It cost $40 any day of the week to play 9 holes, $75 to play 18 holes. Cart rental is $23 per person. So two people playing 18 holes is going to cost almost $200. This is a gorgeous golf course it has been since it was started in the 1940s. But come on, 18 holes with a cart for $100? What does it cost in your area.

Saskatoon Golf Course

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
August 18th, 2021 at 4:01:41 AM permalink
Bob, most courses have a Ďseniorí rate. I pay anywhere between $25 and $60. Probably $4500 for my 100 rounds. I take a cart 90% of the time. Would be less most rounds if I walked. I have over 1000 balls in my garage, likely 200-300 in the trunk of my car. I find 5 -10 times as many balls as I lose in an average round. Anyone who wants can grab a few handfuls from my trunk. The thought of actually paying for a golf ball is anathema to me!
Looks like Iíll be rained out today! Iíll go to the Y to shoot baskets.
helpmespock
helpmespock
August 18th, 2021 at 5:58:06 AM permalink
I'm actually what's called a "Flex" member at my club. I pay $1300 for the year and it acts as a declining balance. I get 20% off my round from the regular fee which is $54.99 on weekends and $47.99 on weekdays. I walk so no cart fees for me, but they run $17.50 per person.

The pricey courses in my area run you $100 for cart plus round and some range balls before you head out.

As for balls, I play a consistent ball. I'm currently using the Vice Pro Soft ball that has the urethane cover. I like the soft feel they have and I'm not generating a lot of clubhead speed so the low compression isn't likely hurting me much. Mygolfspy just published their big ball test and warned that soft is shorter for higher swing speeds. Nothing I have to worry about.

--helpmespock
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 78
August 18th, 2021 at 9:58:58 AM permalink

Bob, most courses have a Ďseniorí rate. I pay anywhere between $25 and $60. Probably $4500 for my 100 rounds. I take a cart 90% of the time. Would be less most rounds if I walked. I have over 1000 balls in my garage, likely 200-300 in the trunk of my car. I find 5 -10 times as many balls as I lose in an average round. Anyone who wants can grab a few handfuls from my trunk. The thought of actually paying for a golf ball is anathema to me!
Looks like Iíll be rained out today! Iíll go to the Y to shoot baskets.

I lost seven balls on Sunday. If that continues i will not be able to afford golf.
Order from chaos
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
August 18th, 2021 at 12:29:31 PM permalink
Shot 80 today (37-43) at Riverwood Golf & Country Club in Port Charlotte FL.

I play 6 days per week.

Tomorrow at Lemon Bay Golf Club in Englewood FL.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 78
August 18th, 2021 at 12:32:47 PM permalink
Quote: Gundy

Shot 80 today (37-43) at Riverwood Golf & Country Club in Port Charlotte FL.

I play 6 days per week.

Tomorrow at Lemon Bay Golf Club in Englewood FL.

Gundy, do you live near Port Charlotte? My wife and I have narrowed down where we are moving to down to Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, or Cape Coral. I know very little about Port Charlotte but I will be there in a few weeks to look at the area and possibly buy a house.
Order from chaos

• Jump to: