Thread Rating:

MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
August 16th, 2021 at 4:51:06 AM permalink
Taking a little pause today, markets retreating so far.

BTC has been doing fine lately though.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
MDawg
MDawg
August 16th, 2021 at 3:15:28 PM permalink
AMZN ended up moving nearly a 100 points from its low to end the day green.

I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
MDawg
MDawg
August 23rd, 2021 at 9:03:56 PM permalink
Nice day in the stock market today. Pretty green across the board.

BTC hit 50K too.
MDawg
MDawg
August 24th, 2021 at 7:53:25 AM permalink
An employee who knows or has heard that I do well in the market has asked me to give a stock tip. Of course, this is the vernacular of people who don't know anything about the market. Has five grand to invest. Five grand means a lot to this person.

I told the employee to put all the money into a stock trading account that I suggested, and to stand by.

If you were such a person, where that amount of money meant a lot to you, where would you put it?
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
August 24th, 2021 at 8:24:16 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

An employee who knows or has heard that I do well in the market has asked me to give a stock tip. Of course, this is the vernacular of people who don't know anything about the market. Has five grand to invest. Five grand means a lot to this person.

I told the employee to put all the money into a stock trading account that I suggested, and to stand by.

If you were such a person, where that amount of money meant a lot to you, where would you put it?

On a vacation to Disneyland :)
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 24th, 2021 at 11:34:33 AM permalink

Not enough info. Does this person want a ‘safe’ $100 a year from his $5k? Does he want to be risky and try and double it? But at a chance of it becoming $0.

If ‘$5k means a lot’ that implies to me that if they lose it all it will be a very bad thing for this person. Even ‘safe’ stocks are not safe.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
August 24th, 2021 at 1:32:40 PM permalink

VTI
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 24th, 2021 at 1:42:43 PM permalink
If the question is what would I do with $5,000?
$5,000 will get you a mid-grade Giant size X-Men #1. The X-Men are about to become a part of Disney's MCU and I've been buying whatever copies I can find at reasonable prices.
If the question is what would I tell your hypothetical person? I'd suggest he distance himself from you, count his fingers and take a shower as soon as possible.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
darkoz
darkoz
August 24th, 2021 at 2:03:54 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

If the question is what would I do with $5,000?
$5,000 will get you a mid-grade Giant size X-Men #1. The X-Men are about to become a part of Disney's MCU and I've been buying whatever copies I can find at reasonable prices.
If the question is what would I tell your hypothetical person? I'd suggest he distance himself from you, count his fingers and take a shower as soon as possible.

Lol, I think Bill Ryan just called you unclean, possibly leprous.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
darkoz
August 24th, 2021 at 3:08:58 PM permalink

Duh!! CYDY
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
August 24th, 2021 at 3:17:00 PM permalink

Buy puts [SPY] with an expiration date around a year from now.
MDawg
MDawg
August 24th, 2021 at 5:18:40 PM permalink
SPY puts - some years ago a friend of mine claimed that with a a mere $500. he could make a mint for me with options, and even said that he would refund any loss. He kept buying SPY puts, doubling down, etc., lost the whole $500. I asked him to send me the money and he said that he did agree to do that but never thought I would ask for it. Eventually though, he said he didn't want to be known as a Welsher and sent the $500.

Probably my only losses in the market have been when short. Typically holding the short just a bit longer would have actually netted a profit, but I usually just pulled the plug as the stock roared against me.

I imagine George Soros' SPY puts are billions in the red by now....
MDawg
MDawg
August 24th, 2021 at 5:20:21 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Duh!! CYDY

I thought of that but....
MDawg
MDawg
August 24th, 2021 at 5:21:06 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Not enough info. Does this person want a ‘safe’ $100 a year from his $5k? Does he want to be risky and try and double it? But at a chance of it becoming $0.

If ‘$5k means a lot’ that implies to me that if they lose it all it will be a very bad thing for this person. Even ‘safe’ stocks are not safe.

Yes, this would be a risk adverse person.
MDawg
MDawg
August 24th, 2021 at 5:21:42 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

VTI

That's an idea.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 24th, 2021 at 5:36:23 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'd suggest he distance himself from you, count his fingers and take a shower as soon as possible.

Note: Emphasis mine.

Personal insult -- three days.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
August 24th, 2021 at 5:48:17 PM permalink
Id put it in MO.

Just my 2 cents.
MDawg
MDawg
August 24th, 2021 at 8:57:25 PM permalink
Altria / Philip Morris definitely not a bad stock to have owned long term, although many do object to it on moral grounds (that tobacco kills).
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
August 25th, 2021 at 4:54:35 AM permalink

SPY puts - some years ago a friend of mine claimed that with a a mere $500. he could make a mint for me with options, and even said that he would refund any loss. He kept buying SPY puts, doubling down, etc., lost the whole $500. I asked him to send me the money and he said that he did agree to do that but never thought I would ask for it. Eventually though, he said he didn't want to be known as a Welsher and sent the $500.

Probably my only losses in the market have been when short. Typically holding the short just a bit longer would have actually netted a profit, but I usually just pulled the plug as the stock roared against me.

I imagine George Soros' SPY puts are billions in the red by now....

"some years ago" would've been a horrible time to buy SPY puts.

Today is the ideal time IMO. Let's see how things play out over the next 12 months.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
August 25th, 2021 at 6:32:36 AM permalink

Open up a ROTH account (I'm assuming their income is low enough that the qualify) and then put the $5k in an S&P or NASDAQ ETF.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
unJon
unJon
August 25th, 2021 at 7:40:37 AM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

Open up a ROTH account (I'm assuming their income is low enough that the qualify) and then put the $5k in an S&P or NASDAQ ETF.

Roth account is a great call. Can back door it also if their income is too high. If someone unfamiliar with how to back door a Roth, Google can explain.

ETA: unless this person thinks they can’t do without the $5k until retirement.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
MDawg
MDawg
August 25th, 2021 at 8:36:13 AM permalink
Roth account - yes this is a low level employee low income. However, this employee is the type who breaks the piggy bank often, from what I gather.
MDawg
MDawg
August 27th, 2021 at 9:11:48 AM permalink
Had a few good days here. Market on the way up, still!
MDawg
MDawg
September 13th, 2021 at 1:32:49 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Anyone who thinks buying a stock because the price is going down is an idiot. Anyone that believe buying a stock because the price is going up is an idiot.

• link to original post

While buying a stock solely because it is going up or down ("Liked it at 10, love it at 5" is simply boiler room sales pitch) is unwise, statistically speaking, throw a dart at any given stock during a period when it is going up versus a period when it is going down, and you will be much more likely to profit at least in the short term buying on the way up.

Momentum tends to carry stocks up or down, at least for a while.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    September 20th, 2021 at 10:53:34 AM permalink
    Definitely a redrum in play today.

MDawg
    MDawg
    September 22nd, 2021 at 9:52:45 AM permalink
    Quote: AxelWolf

Quote: Wellbush

i've already stated that i do gamble online with free software🤷‍♀️

[

NO YOU DON'T !!!

Gamble: play games of chance for money or things of value.

You basically play video games online that may or may not use the same "randomness" they use when actually placing real wagers.

Congratulations, You have figured out absolutely nothing, nada, zilch.... when it comes to a system that could actually be used to profit from gambling.
  • link to original post

AWolf actually has a valid point. You may study a stock and study its "habits" for darn near a year, but UNTIL you put real money on the line you can't know how you (or the stock) will behave.

Simulated accounts are a world apart from the real thing.

I'll watch a stock until I pull the trigger but until I do pull that trigger, nothing matters. I'm playing with real money, millions of dollars thrown into some of my trades, and that makes all the difference.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    September 27th, 2021 at 11:25:51 AM permalink
    TSLA pushing 800 again baby boy.

That's RIGHT.
    TDVegas
    TDVegas
    • Threads: 3
    Thanked by
    MDawg
    September 27th, 2021 at 12:44:49 PM permalink
    TSLA is the only thing holding my portfolio up today. All other big tech basically down.

Strong TSLA day. No question.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    October 5th, 2021 at 8:27:53 PM permalink
    Some tumultuous times lately. Today was good.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 7th, 2021 at 12:44:27 PM permalink

Some tumultuous times lately. Today was good.

• link to original post

I haven’t posted stock stuff recently. I’m down 3% or so from the high earlier this year. TSLA is of course helping!
    MDawg
    MDawg
    October 8th, 2021 at 2:04:47 PM permalink
    Off by a two digit typo. NOT a good investment, at that price!

mwalz9
    mwalz9
    • Threads: 52
    October 8th, 2021 at 2:11:35 PM permalink
    I bought 1 share of Altria (MO) on Robin Hood earlier. Hoping to make a few cents and then get out!
    MDawg
    MDawg
    October 13th, 2021 at 10:33:04 AM permalink
    MO I believe has gone up lately?
    MDawg
    MDawg
    October 13th, 2021 at 10:33:36 AM permalink
    TSLA keeping its head above 800 nicely.
    TDVegas
    TDVegas
    October 13th, 2021 at 11:21:43 AM permalink
    I’m tempted to buy more. Problem is it can drop in a second AND a lot. Tesla is baby step up, weighted safe down. Nevertheless. Over $800.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    October 14th, 2021 at 9:43:34 AM permalink
    TSLA will break 900 again.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 14th, 2021 at 10:16:08 AM permalink

link to original post

When!?!
    TDVegas
    TDVegas
    October 14th, 2021 at 11:16:54 AM permalink

link to original post

When!?!
    link to original post

If anyone knew..he’s not wasting time in here.

Momentum has been upward, no question. It does not take much to move TSLA 100 points. That said, it can also go either direction.

I still think best looking electric vehicles on the road today. Musk is a bit of a cowboy with his remarks…but people buy with that known. I’m more than angry I took the advice of guys like Chanos and stayed away. I first looked at TSLA at $36. Waited way, way too long to eventually buy some and dumped all these hedge fund garbage heads who were merely short the stock and bashed it to line their own pocket.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    October 15th, 2021 at 9:41:27 PM permalink
    I've held TSLA for years straight now, and probably won't sell any until it breaks 1000.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    October 15th, 2021 at 9:42:39 PM permalink
    BTC back over 60K.

Booyah!
    TDVegas
    TDVegas
    October 15th, 2021 at 9:51:16 PM permalink

I've held TSLA for years straight now, and probably won't sell any until it breaks 1000.
    link to original post

The start of this thread (LAST YEAR) makes it sound like you have only been TRADING TSLA (in and out). I saw nothing about “long term” holding shares in the stock. Just trades. In and out.

The record is there. I didn’t go thru every post…but the ones I did indicated nothing about a long term position in TSLA. Just day trades.

Now, you’re long TSLA for over 4 years straight????
    MDawg
    MDawg
    October 15th, 2021 at 9:59:05 PM permalink

Yesterday I had a similar experience. I had, a fair amount of trading shares of AMZN that had a cost average of 1836. I was hatin', as it closed at well below that. So I put in an order to sell in the AH at 1837, and went to the gym. I really didn't expect much to happen. But then towards the end of my workout, around 5pm (California time), I came back to see that it had filled! Apparently the news of the President's coronavirus announcement had driven up the AH market.

Well, of course we all know what happened post announcement. Futures tanked, and the market was ultra-red again today. If I hadn't gotten that fill in the AH yesterday I woulda been down...considerable on those shares, this morning. I skated on that one. And again today.

But who knows, if AMZN opens up massively tomorrow then my fill at 1680 in the AH today will seem like a joke. In any case, I have a fair amount of very very long term shares of AMZN, and I am looking forward to AMZN's getting back above 2100.
    link to original post

Anyway my very long term AMZN is up today, but my long term TSLA is dragging me down some. I hold a lot more AMZN than TSLA though.

I would have loved to trade some extra AMZN today, oh well.
    link to original post

My long term shares of AMZN and TSLA are up very nicely, and the extra grand is just icing on the cake for today. Still have a long way to go though, I'd like to see TSLA back over at least 800 and AMZN back over 2100. That will take a while, and we WILL have ups and downs before that happens.
    link to original post

What I don't like about these days, especially as far as my long term holds, is how the DOW might be up a ton one day, and STILL futures go red that night threatening to give half of it back the next day.
    link to original post

I can't believe BAC is now below 19. I have held THOUSANDS of shares of that for, going on ten years or so now. Below 19 - that seems oversold to me.
    link to original post

UP day, I tend not to trade on days like this just watch my long terms go up. Lately I am more of a buy the dip for trades on down days trader.

Another way to do it is to short the pop on a given stock, and a lot of traders have done extremely well with that lately, but for me to do that I'd have to go short against the box (of my long terms) and that seems contradictory - like betting red and black at the same time on the roulette wheel.

CMG and AMZN are going up and down though, there are trading opportunities there just have to hit it right.

Looks like NFLX is down today, at least at the moment. That is about the only long term hold of mine that is not green today.
    link to original post

TSLA is marching back on up, that is helping my long terms a lot too.
    link to original post

Every time there is a correction some think that things will keep going all the way down the toilet. This is the same ridiculous extreme thinking as beliefs that stocks will go straight up, without pause. The truth - is somewhere in between. Which is why I posted yesterday that there seemed to be hesitancy in the market, not a sign of sustained immediate recovery.

As far as individual stocks, some of the stocks I held dropped a LOT more at the end of 2018, and yet within just a few short months were higher than ever. A few DAYS can be an ETERNITY in this stock market, let alone a few weeks, or months. I don't think it will take nearly as long as you think, to recover. And anyway, if you thought we were in for a long, sustained drop, why did you pull the trigger on long term holds already? I would hope that the answer would be - that you may never get the absolute top, or bottom. Waiting around with your hands in your pocket for some arbitrary price point doesn't work.

Or as another has said, "You can't get rich with a weather vane."
    link to original post

If you follow me, you know that I've been long many many shares of all of these stocks since 2006-7. I just trade additional shares daily. Not every day, but most days.
    link to original post

etc. etc.

I think onenickelmiracle asked me the same question about a year and a half ago. I own many stocks very long term, but frequently trade additional shares. This is why I advised SooPoo when he started doing the same to make sure that his basis designation in his account was set to LIFO. If you know anything about any of this, you will understand.

As Donnie Brasco might have said, "I didn't do not'in."

Some days, I might not trade because too busy. Other days, because my long term stocks are just going straight up with no real dips, and sometimes I don't trade because the high probability trades don't present themselves.

Today I didn't trade because my main brokerage account was malfunctioning. Probably just as well - I read all over the internet about horror stories of some traders who managed to enter trades notwithstanding the glitches, and then were unable to get out, as whatever stock they were trading, dropped.
    link to original post

I do trade additional blocks of AMZN, TSLA etc. usually 1000 share blocks but sometimes less, but I have held much larger blocks of these and other stocks for years and years. Put it this way: I almost never trade a stock that I do not own long term. When I trade, I trade additional shares, LIFO!

I guess you weren't around when I advised people to buy the **** out of AMZN when it popped over 2000, and TSLA pre-split. DarkOz was one person I kept advising to buy and hold TSLA maybe two years ago, I think it was. You gotta buy and hold long term FIRST, then trade additional shares. I have never advised anything but that. Ask SooPoo, he is my #1 disciple.

Man, you missed the MDawg party bus then, no wonder, if you think long term is not the way to go. Trade for extra income!
    Last edited by: MDawg on Oct 15, 2021
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 16th, 2021 at 6:13:57 AM permalink
    From the beginning, MDawg has mentioned he has long term holdings in a few stocks which he identifies as leaders in their sector. TSLA was certainly one of them.

No worries for me, MDawg. All my TSLA is in a retirement account so no tax consequences for my trading.

Disciple? LOL!
    unJon
    unJon
    October 16th, 2021 at 7:03:06 AM permalink
    Quote: TDVegas

link to original post

The start of this thread (LAST YEAR) makes it sound like you have only been TRADING TSLA (in and out). I saw nothing about “long term” holding shares in the stock. Just trades. In and out.

The record is there. I didn’t go thru every post…but the ones I did indicated nothing about a long term position in TSLA. Just day trades.

Now, you’re long TSLA for over 4 years straight????
    link to original post

He’s mentioned long term holdings of Tesla and Amazon and others for as long as I can remember.
    OnceDear
    OnceDear
    • Threads: 63
    October 16th, 2021 at 7:15:17 AM permalink

Ask SooPoo, he is my #1 disciple.

Man, you missed the MDawg party bus then, no wonder, if you think long term is not the way to go. Trade for extra income!
    link to original post

Disciple? LOL!
    link to original post

I think MDawg's No#1 Fan might be upset at SooPoo's promotion.

I've been struggling lately, wondering whether the description 'Disciple' could be construed as a personal insult. So I avoided using it for certain 'Fan's' of the Great One.

disciple
    dĭ-sī′pəl
    noun
    One who embraces and assists in spreading the teachings of another.
    An active adherent, as of a movement or philosophy.
    One of the original followers of Jesus.
    Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
    darkoz
    darkoz
    October 16th, 2021 at 10:22:00 AM permalink
    Quote: OnceDear

link to original post

Disciple? LOL!
    link to original post

I've been struggling lately, wondering whether the description 'Disciple' could be construed as a personal insult. So I avoided using it for certain 'Fan's' of the Great One.

disciple
    dĭ-sī′pəl
    noun
    link to original post

A dis is an insult

So a DISciple must be as well :)))
    MDawg
    MDawg
    October 16th, 2021 at 10:25:16 AM permalink
    BTC up up and away! Long term on that, too.
    darkoz
    darkoz
    October 16th, 2021 at 11:08:11 AM permalink

BTC up up and away! Long term on that, too.
    link to original post

What a weird coincidence the two biggest Bitcoin detractors, BillRyan and EB are both suspended at this time.
    AxelWolf
    AxelWolf
    • Threads: 164
    October 16th, 2021 at 11:34:16 AM permalink

Disciples usually end up dying a horrible death as martyrs in the name of their fraudulent God.
    ♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 16th, 2021 at 4:12:47 PM permalink
    Quote: OnceDear

link to original post

Disciple? LOL!
    link to original post

disciple
    dĭ-sī′pəl
    noun
    link to original post

MDawg did not use the word ‘disciple’ as an insult. I may laugh at it, but no offense was taken. I have used ‘advice’ from almost every member here on stocks, heck, the WoV portfolio has 20+ selections that can be attributed to individual posters!
    • Jump to: