OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
January 4th, 2020 at 3:24:34 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I'm still trying to figure out how he
fit a lounge in his house. Here's
the lounge car on a RR in 1942:

I have no idea what EB meant by that: Language difference or is this an 'in joke'?
In the UK, we refer to the main daytime living room of the home as the lounge. Is it different there?
I know there are 'cocktail lounges' or airport or hotel lounges as well.
So, what's the American word for the main 'living room' in the house where family get together to chill out and maybe watch TV together?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/lounge
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
January 4th, 2020 at 3:25:57 PM permalink
Living room, den, or "TV room" among the lower classes.
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 4th, 2020 at 3:34:26 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Living room, den, or "TV room" among the lower classes.

Living room! Yes, that's common terminology here. Den would generally be a smaller secondary room, such as where the guy might go to get some peace from the wife and kids, TV room? I don't think we'd call it that here, though our lounges get the good TV.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 4th, 2020 at 3:37:48 PM permalink
I always thought just living room, if have two of them above call that one a family room, den I always thought of as a second living room but only used that term if it was in a finished basement.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
January 4th, 2020 at 3:43:01 PM permalink
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 4th, 2020 at 3:49:30 PM permalink
Cheers RX

I confess my home is a bit smaller.
In the old 'two up two down' town house that my parents had, the secondary living room was called the parlour. It was reserved for special occasions such as courtship $:o)
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 4th, 2020 at 4:08:42 PM permalink
typical floor plan of an older 'working class' 'two up two down'. The room labelled 'dining room' was called the parlour. back then.

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
OnceDear
January 4th, 2020 at 6:54:37 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I have no idea what EB meant by that:

You said you like to have a beer in
the lounge. The only lounges
we have here are in hotels,
airports, used to have them
on trains, and sometimes a
ladies restroom has a lounge.
I wondered how you fit such
a large area as a cocktail lounge
into your home.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 4th, 2020 at 8:02:54 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

You said you like to have a beer in
the lounge. The only lounges
we have here are in hotels,
airports, used to have them
on trains, and sometimes a
ladies restroom has a lounge.
I wondered how you fit such
a large area as a cocktail lounge
into your home.

The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
avianrandy
avianrandy 
  • Threads: 8
January 15th, 2020 at 6:08:33 AM permalink
How is your progress in this challenge?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 121
January 15th, 2020 at 6:15:40 AM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

How is your progress in this challenge?

When OD sobers up he will respond........
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 15th, 2020 at 6:25:11 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

When OD sobers up he will respond........

Lol.
Rather than wasting forum space with such trivia, I'm frequently updating my blog.
Tldr... No problem so far. Nothing worse than the odd thought that 'a drink would be nice now'. Some weight loss too.
avianrandy
avianrandy 
January 15th, 2020 at 6:25:37 AM permalink
lol ok. I hope he hasn't fallen off the wagon SOOPOO
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 15th, 2020 at 6:26:52 AM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

lol ok. I hope he hasn't fallen off the wagon SOOPOO

not at all. Thanks for your interest.
avianrandy
avianrandy 
January 15th, 2020 at 6:31:55 AM permalink
cheering you on and hope all goes well for you. You are very fair as a moderator and I always enjoy your input on this forum.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 15th, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM permalink

Lol.
Rather than wasting forum space with such trivia, I'm frequently updating my blog.
Tldr... No problem so far. Nothing worse than the odd thought that 'a drink would be nice now'. Some weight loss too.

After you accomplish your goal I think you should fly to Las Vegas where I will buy you so many pints that you will wish you were still dry.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
January 15th, 2020 at 9:49:03 AM permalink

No problem so far..

Easy for you to say.

The local liquor store may not recover from this blow.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
March 1st, 2020 at 3:35:21 PM permalink

not at all. Thanks for your interest.

Update?
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
Minty
March 1st, 2020 at 4:14:17 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Update?

Thanks for the interest.

Rather than hog space in 'recent threads', I've been providing updates in my blog

TLDR...

It's going well. I'm no longer feeling any urge to drink alcohol and have not touched a drop this year.
So, I'm 2 months into my 3 month abstinence.

Also lost about 7 pounds, give or take.

Because I'm feeling confident, I've removed/cancelled 2 powerful disincentives from failing: I was to donate $150 to Wizard's and BBB's chosen charities if I failed. I have decided to make those donations whether I succeed or fail. They make donations to my charity WHEN I succeed.

I did try to also go veggie for February, but my heart wasn't in it and I failed that dismally.

Last week, I started to brew 40 pints of ale ready for the celebration. Seriously not expecting to just dive off the wagon on 1 April.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
Thanked by
OnceDear
March 1st, 2020 at 5:54:54 PM permalink

Last week, I started to brew 40 pints of ale ready for the celebration.

...and 3 days later wakes up in a run down bar somewhere in Morocco wearing just a poncho with a one eyed dog staring at him and 25 Russian rubles to his name.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
odiousgambit
March 1st, 2020 at 8:00:38 PM permalink

Thanks for the interest.

Rather than hog space in 'recent threads', I've been providing updates in my blog

TLDR...

It's going well. I'm no longer feeling any urge to drink alcohol and have not touched a drop this year.

Because I'm feeling confident, I've removed/cancelled 2 powerful disincentives from failing: I was to donate $150 to Wizard's and BBB's chosen charities if I failed. I have decided to make those donations whether I succeed or fail. They make donations to my charity WHEN I succeed.

I did try to also go veggie for February, but my heart wasn't in it and I failed that dismally.

Last week, I started to brew 40 pints of ale ready for the celebration. Seriously not expecting to just dive off the wagon on 1 April.

Coincidentally, suspensions handed out by OnceDear are way down over the past 2 months.

I can only conclude that all the prior ones were alcohol-fueled.
OnceDear
OnceDear
March 2nd, 2020 at 1:43:59 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Coincidentally, suspensions handed out by OnceDear are way down over the past 2 months.

Personal Insult: 30 days.
Only joking about the suspension. But I do feel you insulted me.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
OnceDear
March 2nd, 2020 at 5:36:51 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Thanks for the interest.

TLDR...

That was pretty rude in a couple ways. OD has chosen not to give a suspension, so I won't either, but OD has been very much operating within the lines of the disciplinary guidance he was given, ever since he started modding.

And NOT operating in a vacuum, either - we have seldom had any disagreement about who gets it and for how long. So you're insulting me as well. And you'll also note Wizard has not overturned any of ODs actions that I'm aware of.

Now, had you stuck a "just kidding" or something on there, no big deal. In fact, I would guess that was your intent. If so, don't leave it open to interpretation, please.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
OnceDear
OnceDear
March 31st, 2020 at 2:16:26 PM permalink

I will not drink alcohol in January, February or March of 2020 (dammit, it's a leap year)
If I fail in this challenge, I'll pay £100 to a charity that is yet to be decided. Additionally, if I fail, I'll forfeit £5 for every 'unit' of alcohol that I imbibe.

The only waiver I'm taking is that I may pour myself a drink before midnight on 31/Dec and might still be drinking that 5 mins into the new year. ( I'll extend the non-drink period by 5 minutes into April to compensate )
OD.

Yayyyy. I'm on the home straight now.
I never did say which time-zone I'd apply to this challenge, nor whether I'd account for Daylight Saving adjustment. I started the challenge at midnight UK local time, so to my way of thinking, my challenge ends in just under two hours from now. However, I don't want to fail the challenge on a technicality, and since it was declared on this Vegas based forum, I'm not going to drink until 1st April 00:05:01 Forum server time, which will be 08:05:01 UK local time.... Pah, I won't drink that early in my day. I'll wait till my Lunch time, when I'm having a virtual pub lunch with some friends. $:o)
Sincerest thanks for all the support and advice received from members here, especially Wizard, BeachBumBabs and OdiousGambit, who offered charitable wagers. I'll be passing the hat round later.
I have said that succeed or fail, I'll make donations to Wizard's and Barbara's selected charities. I invite them to reconfirm which charities they now want me to donate to. The recipient charities may have changed in light of current world events and I'm good with that.
Wizard, BBB, please send me links to the appropriate donation pages.
I'll be posting more to my blog, on actual completion of the term.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
Thanked by
OnceDear
March 31st, 2020 at 2:25:42 PM permalink

I will not drink alcohol in January, February or March of 2020 (dammit, it's a leap year)
If I fail in this challenge, I'll pay £100 to a charity that is yet to be decided. Additionally, if I fail, I'll forfeit £5 for every 'unit' of alcohol that I imbibe.

The only waiver I'm taking is that I may pour myself a drink before midnight on 31/Dec and might still be drinking that 5 mins into the new year. ( I'll extend the non-drink period by 5 minutes into April to compensate )
OD.

Yayyyy. I'm on the home straight now.
I never did say which time-zone I'd apply to this challenge, nor whether I'd account for Daylight Saving adjustment. I started the challenge at midnight UK local time, so to my way of thinking, my challenge ends in just under two hours from now. However, I don't want to fail the challenge on a technicality, and since it was declared on this Vegas based forum, I'm not going to drink until 1st April 00:05:01 Forum server time, which will be 08:05:01 UK local time.... Pah, I won't drink that early in my day. I'll wait till my Lunch time, when I'm having a virtual pub lunch with some friends. $:o)
Sincerest thanks for all the support and advice received from members here, especially Wizard, BeachBumBabs and OdiousGambit, who offered charitable wagers. I'll be passing the hat round later.
I have said that succeed or fail, I'll make donations to Wizard's and Barbara's selected charities. I invite them to reconfirm which charities they now want me to donate to. The recipient charities may have changed in light of current world events and I'm good with that.
Wizard, BBB, please send me links to the appropriate donation pages.
I'll be posting more to my blog, on actual completion of the term.

The private investigator I hired to follow you around..... oh, never mind! Congratulations. I'll be interested if it tastes as good to you as it used to....
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
OnceDear
March 31st, 2020 at 2:27:22 PM permalink
Congrats, OD! What will be your first drink tomorrow?
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
Joeman
March 31st, 2020 at 2:37:43 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Congrats, OD! What will be your first drink tomorrow?

I've brewed 120 pints of beer (English Best Bitter) while I've been resting, so it'll be that.....
No. Not all of it, just a pint or two. I also have about 1/3 bottle of Cabernet from when I made some Ragu, I can't see that surviving the day :o)
Later, I might try OdiousGambit's little challenge of washing down some buttermilk* with JD**

* If I can get some. I'm in quarantine for at least three months as things stand.
** I have plenty of JD in stock.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
Thanked by
OnceDear
March 31st, 2020 at 2:59:52 PM permalink
Congrats and Cheers!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 31st, 2020 at 3:22:43 PM permalink
Congrats, I am proud of you for sticking to it. Do you plan to change your previous drinking habits or do you think you will be back at the same level soon?

Because all of the pubs and restaurants are closed I am drinking a lot less than before. I don't drink at home unless we have people over and social distancing is preventing that.

Congrats again.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
OnceDear
OnceDear
March 31st, 2020 at 3:43:25 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Congrats, I am proud of you for sticking to it. Do you plan to change your previous drinking habits or do you think you will be back at the same level soon?

Because all of the pubs and restaurants are closed I am drinking a lot less than before. I don't drink at home unless we have people over and social distancing is preventing that.

Congrats again.

Thanks,
I always intended to restart drinking, but in a more measured way. Rather than a JD nightcap each night, it might be just a few nights per week.
Being home isolated for the foreseeable future, pub and restaurant meals will be out of bounds, so probably a few times a week, eating at home will be made into more of an occasion, so I'll be having more beer and wine at home at meal times.
I aspire to get, and keep, my level of drinking at or under NHS guidelines.
  • Jump to: