DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 8th, 2019 at 2:22:30 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I don't think that's correct. My first, 2nd, and 3rd microwaves were Litton, made near Sioux Falls, SD. Started buying them in 1977. I had several friends working there. That 1977 is still working - I just donated it to the Humane Society in 2017 and they're still using it. And my mom's Litton from 1978 is still in her kitchen. Too strong a wattage, if anything.

OTOH, I never took one apart to see if the core was imported. My strong impression was that Litton was making them from scratch. Maybe they were just assembling, though.

I used to buy Amana appliances that were made in Iowa. Sadly, most are now made by Whirlpool companies overseas.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 8th, 2019 at 3:58:18 PM permalink
The biggest problem I have with wristwatches is the strap. Leather ones age quickly, and plastic/rubber ones always break at the lugs. I finally decided to upgrade to a Seiko with a metal bracelet, and have been very happy with the results. The first outlasted the watch, which I wore daily for almost 20 years, and the second I have now had for almost 10.

There's a Seiko retailer in the North Premium Outlet mall that has a pretty wide selection of grey market models from $50 - $1500+. You can get a two decade timepiece for under $200.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
July 8th, 2019 at 5:46:54 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I don't think that's correct. My first, 2nd, and 3rd microwaves were Litton, made near Sioux Falls, SD. Started buying them in 1977. I had several friends working there. That 1977 is still working - I just donated it to the Humane Society in 2017 and they're still using it. And my mom's Litton from 1978 is still in her kitchen. Too strong a wattage, if anything.

OTOH, I never took one apart to see if the core was imported. My strong impression was that Litton was making them from scratch. Maybe they were just assembling, though.

When I was pretty broke I lived with this nice old hippy couple.

When I moved out they gave their very old general electric microwave. It might be from the 80s. No joke.

Still works great.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
July 8th, 2019 at 7:28:26 PM permalink
SHINOLA

Right out of Detroit onto your wrist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF5G9RdOG9w
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 8th, 2019 at 7:59:36 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

SHINOLA

Right out of Detroit onto your wrist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF5G9RdOG9w

There’s a difference between “Made in America” and “Assembled in America with some parts sourced from international suppliers”. However, this difference isn’t always represented clearly.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 9th, 2019 at 9:22:54 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I used to buy Amana appliances that were made in Iowa. Sadly, most are now made by Whirlpool companies overseas.

Had two friends that played for Iowa. Both spoke decent Spanish and were able to get supervisory jobs in Iowa factories as few of the workers spoke English. Things may have been made in Iowa, but even in the 1980s, it was Mexican labor assembling them.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
IndyJeffrey
IndyJeffrey
  • Threads: 13
July 11th, 2019 at 8:19:59 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Had two friends that played for Iowa. Both spoke decent Spanish and were able to get supervisory jobs in Iowa factories as few of the workers spoke English. Things may have been made in Iowa, but even in the 1980s, it was Mexican labor assembling them.

So, how would you feel if it were US-born labor assembling goods in a foreign land?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
July 11th, 2019 at 11:05:53 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Just to clarify - it was Mexican labor at the Amana factories specifically? or in Iowa in general? I don't think outsiders worked in the colonies in any big numbers until Raytheon bought Amana Refrigeration in the late '90s.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
  • Jump to: